• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
ladywithmathematicalequations.gif

How can only five have supported it when thirteen wrote it? Were they trying to sabotage it because they knew it would be suicide?
Cruz was on the team writing it and he was a confirmed no

I think some crazy stuff must have went down planning this bill. Hopefully it leaks

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I wish I still lived in Milton just so I could vote for IronStache.

I can't flip seats (other than try again with Ron Johnson)...all my other reps both state and fed are Dems.

My brother is excited to be able to vote for him, he was the one who brought it to my attention which had me post about him several days ago.

Loxley

I love how McConnell and the GOP are acting like working with Democrats on healthcare is the most ass-backwards doomsday scenario imaginable. Granted I'm not surprised, since they've been acting like Democrats are worse than Satan since King Hussein Obama was elected, but still.

Yes, Turtle-Man, you may have to actually work with the people who drafted the laws you're trying to change. What a topsy-turvy world we live in!

So, I think it's pretty fair to call the secret bill strategy a colossal misfire at this point? Shit looked scary but it turns out that uh... there's a reason that's not how it usually goes. Several, really.

So, I think it's pretty fair to call the secret bill strategy a colossal misfire at this point? Shit looked scary but it turns out that uh... there's a reason that's not how it usually goes. Several, really.
Makes me think the entire bill is tainted and nothing will fix it. If you're a senator who objects to being left out of the process, why play ball now?

Tommy DJ

I legitimately don't understand the purpose of their bill. I know, tax cuts, but it literally kills so much of the economy in the near future from a mere productivity standpoint that I don't think it'd be worth the smaller tax bill.

I legitimately don't understand the purpose of their bill. I know, tax cuts, but it literally kills so much of the economy in the near future from a mere productivity standpoint that I don't think it'd be worth the smaller tax bill.
No Republican ever thinks this way though. Empowering the poor and middle class would lead to higher profits for large corporations, but they'd rather take a tax cut now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Cruz was on the team writing it and he was a confirmed no

I think some crazy stuff must have went down planning this bill. Hopefully it leaks

Yeah just people were part of the bill writing process doesn't mean they were happy with the result. You know how this goes if you ever worked in the higher echelons of a business. You got a director or producer or whatever, they are supposed to put something forward by a certain date, they gather a team and work on it, but the clock is ticking. By the time the bell rings the director takes it and goes with it knowing it's DOA. Time just ran out. This is what happened.

Blader

A senator who supports the bill left the meeting at the White House with a sense that the president did not have a grasp of some basic elements of the Senate plan — and seemed especially confused when a moderate Republican complained that opponents of the bill would cast it as a massive tax break for the wealthy, according to an aide who received a detailed readout of the exchange.

Mr. Trump said he planned to tackle tax reform later, ignoring the repeal’s tax implications, the staff member added.

*screaming*

McConnell made a very similar mistake to what sank Hillarycare, tbh. Crafting massive legislation in secret, in such a manner that you shut out a large majority of your party is a quick road to failing to get any buy-in. Whatever Obamacare's ills, you cannot say that Democrats shut out their party or failed to get a lot of people involved in crafting it and caring about its success or failure, which is why it was Republicans and Joe Lieberman, not Dems, that he had to try and woo.

They may still pass A bill, but THIS bill seems like it was McConnell trying to play a very high-level strategy whilst ignoring the base-level aspects of what actually gets people to take action, more generally.

kirblar

McConnell made a very similar mistake to what sank Hillarycare, tbh. Crafting massive legislation in secret, in such a manner that you shut out a large majority of your party is a quick road to failing to get any buy-in. Whatever Obamacare's ills, you cannot say that Democrats shut out their party or failed to get a lot of people involved in crafting it and caring about its success or failure, which is why it was Republicans and Joe Lieberman, not Dems, that he had to try and woo.

They may still pass A bill, but THIS bill seems like it was McConnell trying to play a very high-level strategy whilst ignoring the base-level aspects of what actually gets people to take action, more generally.
The GOP is facing a very similar situation to the Tories, in that they don't have an actual effective governing majority because of all the factions.

The GOP is facing a very similar situation to the Tories, in that they don't have an actual effective governing majority because of all the factions.

This is also true, and the problem with crafting your party's message to be that government is evil and that the only valid option for governance is to reduce its size and power. Eventually, you get people in power that BELIEVE that (or at the very least run on it), and how the fuck can you govern effectively when you've categorically shut out all but one option (massive cuts) via your own rhetoric?

Dislike Sanders though some in this thread may, does anybody doubt that he'd vote for a modest Obamacare expansion in a second, despite it not being even close to what he wants to ultimately see?

Republicans have landed themselves in the same place with respect to the social safety net that they have with abortion, wherein it's great to campaign against it, but the prospect of actually dismantling it in the manner prescribed by your rhetoric could potentially kill the party for multiple election cycles, if not longer. (Granted, abortion is much closer to a 50/50 split, but I doubt very much that would remain the case if Roe were overturned and people saw the return of back alley abortions and women throwing themselves down staircases to induce miscarriage, a reality top-level Republicans, whatever their rhetoric to the contrary, are absolutely aware of.)

It was Master Political Genius McConnell's plan all along to poison the whole process altogether by crafting an essentially House bill in secrecy and push it for a vote, so it fails and we never hear of it again.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
this is gonna sound like your standard McConnell-is-a-secret-genius theory, but what if he knows this shit ain't passing but he has to give it a big obvious show for Trump and Fox and Rush? Would certainly make sense, would get the obamacare repeal off their back, and would buy them time ...

Edit: I see Rusty is making fun of the theory before I post it!

The people who advocate for tax cuts at any cost either trust their personal golden parachute or have been listening to the fairy tale of the self-made man for so long that they truly believe their success is detached from public investment in the economy.

Teggy

Grover Norquist has really just gone insane lately.

Grover Norquist @GroverNorquist

When Democrats say they will only tax the top one percent.
Remember, to be in top one percent of world income earners-- $32,400.
Surprise
11:54 PM · Jun 27, 2017

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
this is gonna sound like your standard McConnell-is-a-secret-genius theory, but what if he knows this shit ain't passing but he has to give it a big obvious show for Trump and Fox and Rush? Would certainly make sense, would get the obamacare repeal off their back, and would buy them time ...

Edit: I see Rusty is making fun of the theory before I post it!

Or, what if they all plan to pass this all along, but need to give some senators some leeway to make it look like they're doing moderate things like delaying the bill and complain about the process instead of the bill itself, and getting something like Opioid addiction treatment added in there to give them something to claim victory for.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Uh is shit going down in Venezuela? Just got an AP alert of a helicopter firing on the interior ministry and a grenade attack.

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/879915318315024384

Helicopter 'attacks' Venezuela Supreme Court https://t.co/jc25yIO1sL

Edits:

https://twitter.com/AlBoeNEWS/status/879913767701630977

#BREAKING: Clashes reported as military shuts down roads in Venezuela amid potential coup attempt

sounds serious.

...I don't think the Turkish coup was fake.

Sorry, I should've said, "The kind of false flag coup that some quarters have accused Erdogan of staging for the purpose of consolidating power." I momentarily abandoned the measured, moderate discourse underlain by great concern.

Schumer needs to challenge Trump to a live televised debate on healthcare. Remind him that Obama held a live roundtable debate with Republicans on healthcare and generally just take shots at his pride.

Yes, the wit that brought us meanER should be the one to take shots.

Schumer needs to challenge Trump to a live televised debate on healthcare. Remind him that Obama held a live roundtable debate with Republicans on healthcare and generally just take shots at his pride.
Man I remember that Obama-GOP debate. Made for some good television.

For how bad the Democrats were at messaging the ACA he could still talk circles around its opponents.

The thing about Obama giving his opponents the noose with which to hang themselves may yet still prove to be true. The Republicans' noose will be shaped like Donald Trump. Maybe it's more like an anchor.

Sorry, I should've said, "The kind of false flag coup that some quarters have accused Erdogan of staging for the purpose of consolidating power." I momentarily abandoned the measured, moderate discourse underlain by great concern.

Yes, the wit that brought us meanER should be the one to take shots.
I knew what you meant, I don't think the coup was a false flag and I don't think there's any evidence to it except for Gulen saying it was, and he has a vested interest in saying that.

Like Erdogan is already an authoritarian freak, I don't think you need to make up shit about him.

Goddammit I wish we still had Ann Richards. We've reached the point where someone like her could win in Texas again. The lady who spoke at the DNC in '88 would eat Ted Cruz for lunch.

This must be an imposter, there's no mention of vaping rights in this tweet.
Don't worry, that came later

Grover Norquist @GroverNorquist
·
47m

Everyone should be free to vape.
Or work on Saturday's.
Or sleep in.
Or get a tattoo.
The state should tax none of the above.

is someone talking about taxing people who sleep in because i do not agree

Don't worry, that came later

is someone talking about taxing people who sleep in because i do not agree

Ghastly. How can I ever respect someone who writes "Saturday's" and uses an apostrophe to indicate plurality? Bad person, bad grammar.

EDIT: If IronStache wins, Paul Ryan must be rechristened Paul Portillo.

Congressional Republicans basically just spend the last several years saying no. At the state level they have actually had to govern. Not to say they have necessarily done that well, but it is still a very different thing from what Congress has done, and it shows.

Unless you're Brownback, yeah.

Funny thing, that responsibility and being held to it.

A Dem who talks like this wins. I'm calling it.

The situation in Venezuela seems pretty serious. The offensive is being led by Óscar Pérez, an inspector of the CICPC. He's basing this attack on a couple articles of the Venezuelan Constitution. Some reports claimed he had an army of around 1200 men, all willing to die for the revolution. They attacked the Supreme Court with grenades and machine guns.

Maduro came out today saying he and his people are willing to basically start a war if they somehow get removed from the government.

I have some friends in Venezuela, and people are out on the streets of Caracas and other cities.

I'm actually surprised there's not a GAF thread dedicated to this yet.

Ac30

The situation in Venezuela seems pretty serious. The offensive is being led by Óscar Pérez, an inspector of the CICPC. He's basing this attack on a couple articles of the Venezuelan Constitution. Some reports claimed he had an army of around 1200 men, all willing to die for the revolution. They attacked the Supreme Court with grenades and machine guns.

Maduro came out today saying he and his people are willing to basically start a war if they somehow get removed from the government.

I have some friends in Venezuela, and people are out on the streets of Caracas and other cities.

I'm actually surprised there's not a GAF thread dedicated to this yet.

How is the situation developing according to your friends? I hope to God Maduro doesn't start shooting...

With heath care a dead thing for at least a few weeks we've back to Syria today? Okay, whatever. I don't take Trump to be the type to ever ask Congress for authorization of force!

I know senators after the fact coming out against the bill (for extremely varied reasons) is mostly for show, but it makes McConnell look like a total loser coming out of this round--Extremely contrary to his usual image of dictator-level control of the chamber. The bill was apparently so horrible that absolutely everyone felt like throwing him under the bus. If that's the image in public it's probably even worse behind the scenes. Looking forward to seeing who Trump wants to blame! I'm thinking McConnell since Trump was apparently never informed that the bill was mostly a massive tax cut for the wealthy and indeed still has no idea how this shit works. At all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom