• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think we might be looking at the past with rose colored glasses. I'm no scholar on the subject, but I've heard people say politics in the past was no picnic either.

Civil war is the ultimate political polarization, but I think it has never been divided along party lines like this before.

You can know absolutely nothing about a politician but the party they belong to, and you already know how they'll vote 95% of the time, and at least a dozen states and hundred districts where they are 99% likely to win and a similar amount where they are 99% likely to lose. It's to the point that people decide to be against something just because the other side is for it.

Has there been anything like that before?

Though I do definitely prefer it to having one huge dividing issue like slavery that hundreds of thousands of people will kill and die for.

Wilsongt

Did someone say fake news? https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile...20/business/media/navy-seal-fox-news.amp.html

Earlier this month, Fox News featured a story about a highly decorated veteran: a Navy SEAL who had served in Vietnam, had earned two Purple Hearts and had hand-carved a presidential seal that he hoped to give to President Trump.

But on Thursday, the network issued a correction to the Oct. 8 segment about the veteran, John Garofalo, and said that “all” of his claims “turned out to be untrue.”

In the segment, Mr. Garofalo was identified as a member of the first Navy SEAL team, who had been awarded 22 commendations.

“The fact is that he did not serve in Vietnam,” Fox said in its statement.

“He was never a U.S. Navy SEAL,” it continued. “Even though he showed us medals, Garofalo was not awarded two Purple Hearts or any of the other nearly two dozen commendations he claimed to have received, except for the National Defense Service Medal.”

Civil war is the ultimate political polarization, but I think it has never been divided along party lines like this before.

You can know absolutely nothing about a politician but the party they belong to, and you already know how they'll vote 95% of the time, and at least a dozen states and hundred districts where they are 99% likely to win and a similar amount where they are 99% likely to lose. It's to the point that people decide to be against something just because the other side is for it.

Has there been anything like that before?

Though I do definitely prefer it to having one huge dividing issue like slavery that hundreds of thousands of people will kill and die for.

Polarization was here since the Civil War, but it didn't line up with the parties. The origin of all this shit today is the decision as a nation to allow Confederates to literally infiltrate the government they wanted to destroy. Those Confederates and their ilk may have called themselves democrats and changed later, but their ideology has been unwavering.

DMr_eXKU8AArIhd.jpg:large

RDreamer

Trump straight up downplaying the Russians buying ads on Facebook.

amom7Vq.jpg
Indeed, Trump. What about the tons of free air time they gave you for uninterrupted rally speeches? They were definitely guilty of helping put you in office and we should talk about that more!

RDreamer

So hey is there like maybe a spinoff PoliGAF message board, you know, just in case

Could do a Facebook group or something.

At one point a bunch of us added each other because we did a website venture together. Was pretty awesome for a little while. Wish we had kept up on it.

(And if anyone remembers who actually set up that wordpress, that'd be cool. I realized I never actually saved anything I wrote so it'd be nifty to get that back)

Edit: Nevermind about that old wordpress. It IS still up. Saving all my articles now...

Sadsic

i would like to join the discord if possible, even if i just lurk, this is my favorite community for getting political news

(i'm not kidding with that last post. this ain't open borders like the one i was running)

Can I get a discord invite too? Think I left it after the election.

speaking of which, no one left that one, i just deleted the whole damn thing during an episode of depression last november

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom