• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbm24

What is going to be accomplished with trade exactly
He's gonna talk about how America is gonna win on Trade again. That's it. That's all Trump knows how to do. That's all he's ever done, talk about something and then say mission accomplished and run off to a golf course.

Valhelm

contribute something
The way in which the IMF is using the term is indeed the correct way to use the term if you are seriously discussing economics and the legacy of the Reagan/Thatcher lassez-faire school.

This is not how the far left uses the term.

What specific usage of the term do you take umbrage to?

Are center-left politicians who vest power onto the market and believe privatization leads to a greater public good not neoliberal?

Wilsongt

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Most politicians would have gone to a meeting like the one Don jr attended in order to get info on an opponent. That's politics!
10:07 AM · Jul 17, 2017

...Wow.

Can someone who knows the law please smack him down?

Most politicians would have gone to a meeting like the one Don jr attended in order to get info on an opponent. That's politics!

...Wow.

I like that he keeps reinforcing that his son went there to get dirt on Clinton.

OmniOne

...Wow.

Laying groundwork for when it comes out he was at the meeting, or teleconferenced in.

Penguin

...Wow.

This attempt to refocus his message... is off to a great start!

FyreWulff

...Wow.

tumblr_opyvibM3vZ1qzh561o7_500.gif

jtb

Banned
I didn't realize Flake's approvals were so abysmal. You think he'd be more worried about saving his job than trying to fly under the radar. And the Republicans are insane if they think that a primary challenge will actually help them keep AZ red.

kirblar

Are center-left politicians who vest power onto the market and believe privatization leads to a greater public good not neoliberal?
In economics, the hyper Lassez-Faire stuff popularized in the 80s is what is meant by the term.

Believing markets are a good thing in general is normal. Theyre the basics of why Capitalism works better. But they're not infallible and there are a lot of asterisks and corner cases involved. Health care is a big one, for instance, it doesn't function at all like a normal market. At its core it is a giant insurance market, not a commodities market.

The 80s neoliberal were wrong because although they were correct about needing to move rightward on economics, they were completely wrong about the degree necessary. Countries trying to recover from communist command economics needed a far bigger shift than countries with stable democracies and capitalist systems in place. But to them, because they were ideologues, they had a hammer and every problem was a nail.

This is the same issue you have with the left-wing so many of them either refuse to accept modern economic theory or have never bothered to learn anything about it. They do not understand any of the nuance involved and believe that "capitalism is evil." So again to them, they are the pure ideology, and everyone else are the terrible horde, because they lack the ability or desire to understand what those other people are talking about.

Center left politicians who think that private markets are generally a good thing are not neoliberal! Privatization being considered "Neoliberal" depends on context. If they believe most/all should be purely out of ideology, yes that counts. If they believe certain markets would be better served without a government monopoly while others are better served under state control, it does not.

I didn't realize Flake's approvals were so abysmal. You think he'd be more worried about saving his job than trying to fly under the radar. And the Republicans are insane if they think that a primary challenge will actually help them keep AZ red.

Republican views on their primary base explains a lot of their current behavior. On one hand, any given representative not named Murkowski or Collins is scared shitless of them. They know full well that if there's a credible threat from the right they're going to lose their seat. So as individual actors they want to avoid a primary challenge at all costs.

In the general, though, there's a more mixed view of things. The Tea Party cost them some races but it also won them the country. So the collective view on the far-right loons is way rosier than the individuals' view. So when push comes to shove, the party leadership won't generally push super hard against far-right challengers when they do appear, which just exacerbates the problem.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

People always say this and I feel like I'm always missing something. To the best of my knowledge the center left Democrats have never broadly stood for decreasing school funding for the sake of private education, decreasing social welfare in favor of private charity, decreasing funding to the post office in favor of FedEx and UPS etc etc. Am I missing something big? I don't know if healthcare counts because healthcare in the US missed the boat on being substantially public like six decades ago and the main criticism is that Democrats of the last two decades haven't been strong enough proponents of undoing that. Which is completely fair but I'm not sure if it translates to "being happy with the marketplace nature of American healthcare"

This.

He's definitely involved.
It makes sense why everyone is having difficulty pinning down the 8th person.

During the Watergate scandal Nixon sent spooks to physically monitor RNC people who knew about the money being transferred to the burglars' accounts. I'm 100% certain Trump people are doing the same.

PBY

Banned
It makes sense why everyone is having difficulty pinning down the 8th person.

During the Watergate scandal Nixon sent spooks to physically monitor RNC people who knew about the money being transferred to the burglars' accounts. I'm 100% certain Trump people are doing the same.

You're 100% sure this is happening based on zero reporting?

Laying groundwork for when it comes out he was at the meeting, or teleconferenced in.

Well if Secret Service were really there, he was there.

I don't believe he was there personally but if he was LOL. Why would he need to be there, and more importantly why would his campaign manager allow it.

People always say this and I feel like I'm always missing something. To the best of my knowledge the center left Democrats have never broadly stood for decreasing school funding for the sake of private education, decreasing social welfare in favor of private charity, decreasing funding to the post office in favor of FedEx and UPS etc etc. Am I missing something big? I don't know if healthcare counts because healthcare in the US missed the boat on being substantially public like six decades ago and the main criticism is that Democrats of the last two decades haven't been strong enough proponents of undoing that. Which is completely fair but I'm not sure if it translates to "being happy with the marketplace nature of American healthcare"
Education is the most clear area to me, where Democrats have joined the bipartisan project of high stakes NCLB-testing and charter schools, which necessarily pulls funding out of public schools.

Education is the most clear area to me, where Democrats have joined the bipartisan project of high stakes NCLB-testing and charter schools, which necessarily pulls funding out of public schools.

Democrats are also in favor of significantly increasing education spending overall, though. The only system where publicly-monitored charters necessarily take away from regular public schools is one where the Republicans set the budget terms.

Blader

Well if Secret Service were really there, he was there.

I don't believe he was there personally but if he was LOL. Why would he need to be there, and more importantly why would his campaign manager allow it.

Because Manafort is a pro-Putin crook who doesn't the wrong in anything he does.

It would be humorous, if that tweet from the NYTs reporter still reporting on who was at the meeting, is taking time because they are checking and rechecking their evidence that Sr. was there. And they can't risk being wrong.

Honestly, it makes some sense. Especially now that we live in a world where crazy conspiracy theory might've actually been right this whole time.

Ernest

Banned
Ooh, even NPR is getting into the conspiracy/coincidence game...

Timeline Of Trump And Russia In Mid-2016: A Series Of Coincidences Or Something More?

The timeline of events in the spring and summer of 2016 has taken on new meaning in light of the email chain released last week by Donald Trump Jr., showing an offer of help for the Trump campaign, purportedly from Russia. Here we reconstruct those events.

The question that multiple congressional committees and special counsel Robert Mueller are now examining is whether the events on this timeline — the striking parallels between what Donald Trump said on the campaign trail last year and the messages coming out of Russia — are connected or are mere coincidences.

It would be humorous, if that tweet from the NYTs reporter still reporting on who was at the meeting, is taking time because they are checking and rechecking their evidence that Sr. was there. And they can't risk being wrong.

This is a less crazy conspiracy. Because 1) did they ever deny he was at the meeting? 2) It was literally a floor away from Trump 3) Trumps love of unproductive meetings

Okay, ignore my point.

And I'm not freaking out given the timing, but its definitely not dead.

It's for sure coming back, but if there was ever a time to step back and let people breath a little it's now. We have a guaranteed week to let folks decompress and recover.

Democrats are also in favor of significantly increasing education spending overall, though. The only system where publicly-monitored charters necessarily take away from regular public schools is one where the Republicans set the budget terms.

One could argue that if you've got $X for public schools and $Y for charters, you could just give $(X+Y) to public schools.

Start with teacher pay, it's garbage for the work.

This is a less crazy conspiracy. Because 1) did they ever deny he was at the meeting? 2) It was literally a floor away from Trump 3) Trumps love of unproductive meetings

They've definitely said he only learned about the meeting recently.

Also, Trumpcare is on a knife's edge. Planting your feet firmly in one outcome or the other is a total guess.

kirblar

Charters are also a mixed bag results wise. Vouchers are unequivocally terrible.

One could argue that if you've got $X for public schools and $Y for charters, you could just give $(X+Y) to public schools.

I like it when we're on the same page.

High five. Fuck charters.

As with most things, you do start to hit diminishing returns. There's plenty of room for privately-managed experiments to coexist alongside regular public schools without really hurting the latter.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

There are public charter schools, just FYI. Some are pretty good.

That doesn't help with the confusion tactics private school advocates like to use "choice!!1"

Ernest

Banned
Yeah, a foreign, adversarial country says they have dirt on your opponent, and you're like "Sure, what the hell. Let's meet up!"

Our Cheeto-in-Chief is still treating this like some shady backroom Manhattan real estate deal, and doesn't realize he's running the most important country in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom