• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Trump Assigns White House Team to Target Iran Nuclear Deal, Sidelining State Department

This isn't great. Trump is intent on killing the Iran nuclear agreement. Tillerson and top officials (McMaster, Mattis, chairman of the joint chiefs of staff) are saying there's no reason to decertify, so Trump is setting up a White House team to get the result he wants.

Remember when 47 senate Republicans went behind Obama's back and wrote a letter to Iran, telling them not to accept the nuclear deal because the next president could just undo it?

WELP.

UberTag

So what happens when Trump's new batch of cronies jettison the Iran deal in 90 days?

Will he be satisfied for undoing more of Obama's work or will he get someone to Colin Powell themselves and say Iran has nukes and use that as justification to kickstart a war that will lead to a nice distraction from Russia oppo and hopefully give him excuses to ride around in parades as people cheer his war victories?

Zolo

So what happens when Trump's new batch of cronies jettison the Iran deal in 90 days?

Will he be satisfied for undoing more of Obama's work or will he get someone to Colin Powell themselves and say Iran has nukes and use that as justification to kickstart a war that will lead to a nice distraction from Russia oppo and hopefully give him excuses to ride around in parades as people cheer his war victories?

War would be one of the main things that would make him unpopular.

War would be one of the main things that would make him unpopular.

The initial start of the war might give him a boost, but just like Iraq there is literally no way the US will be able to set up a functioning state. Insurgency will go on for years.

So many people would die in a war with Iran, it's so jaw dropping someone like Tom Cotton, who's seen combat, could so easily cheer lead what will probably be a pure bloodbath.

We could've normalized relations with them years ago, they even offered intelligence after 9/11. Then Bush made his "Axis of Evil" speech (which literally made no sense) and led to the ousting of the moderates and the election of people like Ahmadinejad on hardline nationalist platforms.

At this point he's clearly grabbing for every switch he can lay hands on. Key figures are in the crosshairs taking incoming, his finances are exposed, his fear game on the GOP is being subsumed by their self-preservation and in-fighting...it's clear he's on borrowed time but what next...

August should certainly be interesting.

And every day more interesting than the last.

Loxley

When all is said and done, any guesses as to which Trump staffer is going to be the first to write a tell-all book about what it was like to work in this shitshow of an administration?

When all is said and done, any guesses as to which Trump staffer is going to be the first to write a tell-all book about what it was like to work in this shitshow of an administration?

Mattis when he gets sick of this shit.

edit: oh wait I keep thinking Mattis had integrity and then I remembered all the shady shit that happened with him and Theranos/Elizabeth Holmes. Blatant corruption and that could've led to many deaths..

Wilsongt

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Sean Spicer is a wonderful person who took tremendous abuse from the Fake News Media - but his future is bright!
9:46 PM · Jul 21, 2017

Lulz

She is insufferable and likely treasonous.

And now she's become basically a Russian bot. Truthfully, I almost noticed no difference.

As I said the other day, she needs to be careful because no one gives a fuck about her. Republicans in Congress won't defend her. Trump won't say "Fake news!" if Jill Stein oppo drops. There won't be a coordinated right-wing propaganda campaign for her. She will be toast, so I'd keep a low profile in her position.

kirblar

She is insufferable and likely treasonous.

And now she's become basically a Russian bot. Truthfully, I almost noticed no difference.

As I said the other day, she needs to be careful because no one gives a fuck about her. Republicans in Congress won't defend her. Trump won't say "Fake news!" if Jill Stein oppo drops. There won't be a coordinated right-wing propaganda campaign for her. She will be toast, so I'd keep a low profile in her position.
A low profile protects you from a bullet, but not a subpoena.

Or polonium.

Teggy

Mike Levine @MLevineReports

Source: Sessions has absolutely no plans to resign; he never discussed cooperation or influence campaign with Russian ambassador. (1/2)
9:54 PM · Jul 21, 2017

There was another tweet earlier in the day that reported that Sessions will never quit because essentially he is having too much fun kicking brown people out of the country/putting brown people in jail.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There was another tweet earlier in the day that reported that Sessions will never quit because essentially he is having too much fun kicking brown people out of the country/putting brown people in jail.

Well, at least they have him on the record as saying he's never spoken about that stuff when they release the fact they have those conversations.

That fucker is worse than Trump. At least Trump could be excused as an insane megalomaniac who doesn't know what he is doing. Sessions knows exactly what he's doing.

That fucker is worse than Trump. At least Trump could be excused as an insane megalomaniac who doesn't know what he is doing. Sessions knows exactly what he's doing.

2020 Primary: "We need to dispel the notion that Donald Trump doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing."

I posit a direct link between Trump's level of anger at the Russia investigation and the likelihood of Sessions getting fired. If Trump gets wind that Mueller has gotten all the way up in his finances, nothing can save Jefferson Beauregard.

Ecotic

Sessions won't willingly quit because he gave up a good job to be Attorney General. I'd be incredibly pissed if I gave up a Senate seat that I could have held for life for a 6 month tenure in a cabinet post.

Trying to create some kind of Iran panel isn't going to get Trump anywhere. It's the same as the Russia sanctions. Even if somehow the US found a way out of them, the rest of the planet is going to respect the deals that currently exist. So long as Russia stays in Ukraine, they're going to get pinched. So long as Iran is found in compliance with the nuclear deal, they'll be respected. Trump throwing a hissifit isn't going to change those facts. The US holds no weight diplomatically right now. Zero.

This looks super mega stupid because the state department certified just a few days ago that Iran was in compliance, lol, undercutting every talking point anyone from the administration might make on TV, permanently.

Just read about Caitlyn Jenner's Senate aspirations as a Republican...

giphy.gif

Just read about Caitlyn Jenner's Senate aspirations as a Republican...

MorganFreemanGoodLuck.jpg

With the way California's gone recently, we'll probably have another Dem. vs. Dem. contest, especially in a Trump midterm year.

I admit I have a few reservations about Feinstein's age. McCain pushed it at 80 last year, and look at him now. Dianne will be 85 next year and 91 at the end of her term. She probably wants to emulate Inoue and Byrd's examples, but I know she's had some health issues as of late (a stint, I think). There'd be no shame in anointing a successor and withdrawing gracefully - again, not because "she needs to go!!!!" but because of more practical considerations. But if she wants to keep going, more power to her.

Maybe in her mind she thinks, "As long as there's a Democratic governor to replace me..."

I definitely think Pelosi has the sta-mi-nah for another four years as Speaker, though.

Mac_Lane

While all agree the U. S. President has the complete power to pardon, why think of that when only crime so far is LEAKS against us.FAKE NEWS

So many people are asking why isn't the A.G. or Special Council looking at the many Hillary Clinton or Comey crimes. 33,000 e-mails deleted?

...What about all of the Clinton ties to Russia, including Podesta Company, Uranium deal, Russian Reset, big dollar speeches etc.

He's completely losing it. And this idiot can't spell counsel properly.

Maybe NYT is giving him the heads up on a story and he's shooting the messenger, because WaPo broke the stuff on Sessions, not NYT.

Edit: or maybe he's blaming the NYT for publishing that interview he gave them on Sessions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom