• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Senator wants to be the "killing" vote, they would be singled out.

If it looked like there were more than 2 hard nos, there would be a lot more jumping on the No bandwagon, since they'd be insulated from being singled out. We saw this the first time around with the bill.

If this fails, it won't be because there were 3 nos. It'll either be 2 nos or like 15 nos.

No Senator wants to be the "killing" vote, they would be singled out.

Yes, but both Collins and Murkowski could survive it. They have nothing to fear from anyone. Who cares if some stupid fuckers in Kentucky hate them for killing the bill? Those people can't vote in Alaska or Maine.

I mock these two women because I just can't understand them. They have incredible clout in their respective states. Murkowski ran a successful write-in campaign, and Collins could probably pull it off if she had to. They enjoy reputations as the reasonable moderates in the party. Sure, the party in general might be angry if they killed the bill, but their states would probably reward them for it. Why do they go along with this shit? What do they have to gain in their states, the only places that really matter? Do they really fear McConnell's turtle face or an angry Trump tweet that much?

Part of it is that they're women and people love to give women an out when they're terrible. Ivanka enjoys this a lot even though she's just as terrible as her brothers. So they get branded moderates even if they've done nothing to deserve it.

Teggy

Didn't they have catastrophic health insurance before the ACA that basically covered nothing? I don't know what it cost.

jmdajr

14821ab6_o.png

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Didn't they have catastrophic health insurance before the ACA that basically covered nothing? I don't know what it cost.

Yeah, it was/is basically bankruptcy insurance.

Ogodei

Not that it covered nothing, but that it basically didn't kick in unless you got in a car wreck or were dying of cancer. $10,000 deductible and no coverage for anything that wasn't a major procedure or lifesaving drugs.

But even that you couldn't get down to $1/day territory because the people who overrun the $10k line are still the kind of people who need millions of dollars worth of care, and that has to come out of the healthy people in the pool.

The Ancap/objectivist argument on healthcare is that it should be deregulated completely. If you have a pain in your toe, you should be able to walk up to a mall kiosk and get an X-ray done, which the technician reviews with you on the spot. No government assistance or government regulation means that health care *has* to become affordable or the entire business goes under.

The issue is that this assumes that a functioning health care system would continue to exist. The deflationary pressure of massive deregulation would simply mean that doctors and nurses alike would flee the industry.

Kevinroc

Plan will be for Heller and Paul to vote No. Pence breaks tie.

Heller makes a lot of sense as a "No." Don't know if it'll save him in 2018, but it at least is understandable.

Surprised they didn't give their second "No" to someone a lot more vulnerable than Paul. Probably couldn't actually get him to budge and they shrugged it off.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Republicans have done such a good job convincing everyone the ACA isn't working by focusing solely on premiums and not ever talking about quality of coverage.

I honestly don't think they care about staying in power as a party, the only thing they want is to ensure that the dems never get both branches of congress and the presidency. They will just do the obstruction path in 2018. And I don't think anyone there right now gives a shit if they stay.

If they pass this bill they probably have a huge job lined up after politics life and just will walk into that.

its all about the tax cut, they give no shits if they stay in Washington at this point.

Loxley

Randy Bryce, that democrat iron worker who's gunning for Paul Ryan's seat in the 1st district of Wisconsin next year has been making the rounds on CNN and MSNBC (they talked about him briefly on The View as well). I think the guy has gained like 50-60,000 followers on Twitter ever since he announced he was running. It's cool to see somebody like that get so much attention this quickly.

I'm not in his district (I'm in the 5th district) but I'm gonna be banging the drum for him really hard - it's going to be a massive uphill battle for him to unseat Ryan.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Heller is up for re-election next year as well. So this makes even more sense.

Randy Bryce, that democrat iron worker who's gunning for Paul Ryan's seat in the 1st district of Wisconsin next year has been making the rounds on CNN and MSNBC (they talked about him briefly on The View as well). I think the guy has gained like 50-60,000 followers on Twitter ever since he announced he was running.

It's cool to see somebody like that get so much attention this quickly. I'm not in his district (I'm in the 5th district) but I'm gonna be banging the drum for him really hard - it's going to be a massive uphill battle for him to unseat Ryan.

His intro video is fantastic. I followed him right after it happened. It is a very hard battle to win but he is likeable and that video.

I cannot support a bill that takes insurance away from tens of millions Americans and hundreds of thousands of Nevadans
This is a pretty harsh statement if this entire this is an act and pre-planned.

You'd think he'd go a bit lighter with something like "this bill doesn't seem to have Nevada's interests in mind, but it's a step in the right direction towards repealing the disastrous ACA"

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Heller makes a lot of sense as a "No." Don't know if it'll save him in 2018, but it at least is understandable.

Surprised they didn't give their second "No" to someone a lot more vulnerable than Paul. Probably couldn't actually get him to budge and they shrugged it off.

I very much doubt they "let" Paul vote no. He's a man with actual principles that he believes in. The fact that I think his principles are shit doesn't change that fact.

UraMallas

So, Heller most definitely can't vote yes on this and keep his job after some of his comments. Those sound bites will kill him. Looks like he is one of the one's GOP is letting slide.

So Murkowski and Collins are done even trying to feign their moderate image?

It's absolutely shattered forever if they vote for this.

It's just Cartoon Soldier speculation, it's not a confirmed plan. Those two could very easily decide to vote no as well if they feel like it would destroy their careers (it probably would)

I've left several messages with Paul's office but haven't tried McConnell's yet. I've heard his phones are jammed since he has the national spotlight on him.

Manchin spox RE: Spicer floating his boss as possible YES on GOP healthcare bill: "Better chance of me replacing Spicer as Press Sec"

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/878331467163500544
Do people actually think Manchin would vote yes for this? I think we can all agree some of his social views are repugnant, but he's a Democrat for a reason. His life would be so much easier as a Republican but he's not because he's still to the left on economic issues.

It's just Cartoon Soldier speculation, it's not a confirmed plan. Those two could very easily decide to vote no as well if they feel like it would destroy their careers (it probably would)
Eh, not for Collins at the very least, if she's really planning to go for the Governorship. It will be easy for her to squeak in the same way LePage did. The progressive candidates split the vote, she soaks up the rest. Unless they get smart enough not to do that, but I'm not holding my breath there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom