• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I really really want California to pass something like this, I think it would start a lot of very good momentum. But the sheer amount of work required to even draft something is herculean.

Kevinroc

The CA State Senators (Ricardo Lara and Toni G. Atkins) who introduced the bill are rather upset.

http://sd33.senate.ca.gov/news/2017...lara-and-atkins-status-healthy-california-act

“We are disappointed that the robust debate about healthcare for all that started in the California Senate will not continue in the Assembly this year. This issue is not going away, and millions of Californians are counting on their elected leaders to protect the health of their families and communities.

“Continuing the push for universal healthcare has never been more critical with Congress possibly days from voting on one of the cruelest bills in our nation’s history, which will lead to millions of the poorest Americans losing insurance, soaring costs for older and sicker people, and terrible budget choices for our state.

“California has the chance to lead our nation toward healthcare for all, and we will not turn our backs on this matter of life or death for families.”

pigeon

Banned
I really really want California to pass something like this, I think it would start a lot of very good momentum. But the sheer amount of work required to even draft something is herculean.

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed to see this happen. I also vaguely read that the bill wasn't solid, but I hoped they would fix it.

Well, here's hoping Hawaii can still move basic income down the pipeline.

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed to see this happen. I also vaguely read that the bill wasn't solid, but I hoped they would fix it.

Well, here's hoping Hawaii can still move basic income down the pipeline.

I mean, it's not like universal healthcare is dead in Cali generally. Just this bill. There's a ton of political pressure so we'll probably see something.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I mean, it's not like universal healthcare is dead in Cali generally. Just this bill. There's a ton of political pressure so we'll probably see something.

Cali will get it done sooner rather than later. They just need to make sure when they do it's beyond solid.

Vixdean

Oh no, Jane Sanders definitely did something very wrong and it's definitely not funny.
Beyond the lies on her loan application there is the small matter of diverting over $500,000 in business to her daughters Woodworking School.

If Bernie's office had any part in Jane Sanders receiving that loan she never should have gotten, he did something very wrong as well. I don't want to make a big deal out of it and agree that making a thread would go mega-badly, but I hate the idea of the rich getting away with shit like this. It galls.

Nothing wrong with a little mortgage fraud, that makes her smart!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Nothing wrong with a little mortgage fraud, that makes her smart!

Plus, that revelation that Hillary did photography for the Sanders campaign:

inLPrBB.png

Look, I hope the investigation clears Bernie of any significant wrongdoing. But given all the Hillary Derangement Syndrome from election season (which is separate from legitimate criticism of Hillary as a candidate) I'd be lying if I said I weren't enjoying this just a little.

chadskin

Sen. Mike Lee's op-ed on the health care bill: https://www.lee.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/op-eds?ID=042777CA-538B-496D-AB0B-DA23999D78C8

As the bill is currently drafted, I won’t vote for it.
Yet, for all that, I have not closed the door on voting for some version of it in the end.
And so, for all my frustrations about the process and my disagreements with the substance of BCRA, I would still be willing to vote for it if it allowed states and/or individuals to opt-out of the Obamacare system free-and-clear to experiment with different forms of insurance, benefits packages, and care provision options.

Diablos

AHCA drama is gonna go on for a while I think. The question is where will this thing land?

Single payer in Cali is a pipe dream. Should've tried for Medicaid buy in while Obama was still in office.

Yes, I'm a Medicaid buy in fanboy I guess. Missed opportunity imo.

Sounds like Cassidy-Collins.
Yep.

If the GOP waits until after the July 4 recess, then that would give patient groups and other opposition time to come up with a real strategy. Plus, people are going to be blasting them, calling for hearings on the AHCA, public forums, etc. They have to get it done now or the whole thing will be in jeopardy.

Not sold on single payer working in California, if it passes. We shall see.

AHCA...I didn't anticipate that senators would cave so easily to laughable "tweaks." It's the opposite of what happened with the ACA, where various parts were changed and altered to win over (or buy) votes. Portman being fine with throwing people out of hospitals in x many years instead of y many years is just something I didn't expect, I guess.

I think Paul is a hard no, no matter what. Heller sounds like a hard no, and certainly is facing huge pressure...maybe he's the second hard no, or maybe he walks the plank after a "tweak." Either way he could be the key: if he stays a no, the bill probably dies; whereas any Medicaid tweaks that get him to yes would lose conservative votes in the senate (and House).

broz0rs

so what's the general consensus among PoliGAF with Senate trying to pass AHCA?

Murkowski and Collins voting nay with every other Republican including Heller caving?

edit: RIP pigeon (hope it isn't perm)

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Heller basically held a damn press conference with his governor today to announce he's voting no. You really think he's going to just change that for no reason?

daedalius

Heller basically held a damn press conference with his governor today to announce he's voting no. You really think he's going to just change that for no reason?

I certainly hope he wouldn't change his mind as fast as McConnell is expecting to pass this shit.

Seems like it's legit to with Pence's super PAC going after him. Obviously not what they planned.

The California bill needs to be complete and sound, I'm glad they aren't rushing into it. Especially if the AHCA goes through. We need a good example of what UHC can be (even though we have every other modern country in the world to give as an example...)

NeoXChaos

Look, I hope the investigation clears Bernie of any significant wrongdoing. But given all the Hillary Derangement Syndrome from election season (which is separate from legitimate criticism of Hillary as a candidate) I'd be lying if I said I weren't enjoying this just a little.

The irony of the person who was the biggest Bernie fan on GAF starting the thread on it.

Chumley

Banned
"Comparing this to Watergate is really unfair to President Nixon. He may have been a crook, but he was our crook."

Richard Painter on Real Time tonight, he's hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom