• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vimes

Ben Carson is sleeping

Though the Carson can never be killed, the projection of the Jjaro dignitary told us here on Earth that if we acted quickly we could prevent it from awakening. To do this, however, someone was going to have to carry a low-yield nuclear device down to the Carson's body and detonate it there. This would not only stun the dreaming Carson, but further bury it under millions of tons of rock.

The Jjaro claim to have made an extensive survey of the Earth's technology, and maintain that this is the only way. More permanent measures will by taken by the aliens themselves (who are already on their way) when they arrive in two and a half Earth years.

Daria

Are these people going to move on to Tax Reform or going to do Healthcare again?

read below

They have a month off, so there's nothing getting done anymore until September.

After that they need to make sure the entire economy of the world doesn't crash with the debt ceiling, and our own budget also hits around the same time.

During all of this, McCain will likely be in and out of the Senate, and possibly will retire at some point, so they're working with an unreliable +2 majority that is only +1 often. Collins and Murkowski will continue to be nos, so while McCain's out it's not going anywhere.

The next real place to do it would be in 2018, but that's an election year and the bill is so unpopular it's just not something they'll likely want to do. 2018 will be the year for "easy" wins to try and fluff themselves up for November.

Somewhere in there they're planning on having a tax reform fiasco, which will almost certainly be a circus.

Chichikov

No he didn't. Just last week or so he made the idiotic argument that if you increase the supply of coal, you increase demand.
He didn't get the memo that supply side economics is just bullshit used to justify tax cuts for the rich.
But yeah, that voodoo shit looks extra stupid when you apply it to someone like coal.

broz0rs

I swear every time somebody posts a pic of Carlson he's always making the same damn face

I think if someone is going to have that role at Fox News to spew that type of narrative, let it be Carlson and let him stay there because how can anyone take his face seriously? I mean, even the most emboldened Fox News advocate must look at his face and think he's a nerd, right?

Mike M

Nick N
What are the odds Trump ignores/doesn't understand pro forma sessions and tries to shitcan Sessions and appoint a replacement during the recess?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What are the odds Trump ignores/doesn't understand pro forma sessions and tries to shitcan Sessions and appoint a replacement during the recess?

Couldn't he just fire down the line of Order of Succession until he gets someone who will fire Muller? I don't know if the Associate Attorney General Rachel Brand or the Solicitor General Jeff Wall would be willing to do it though, but if he is mad enough he can just go down the whole damn list, and one up the Saturday Night Massacre.

I think he'll try to do it to pick a fight with the Senate.
In which case Yay for Fascism! Nothing like Trump having an excuse to justify shitting even more on our electoral bodies. He'd much rather (and judging by his favorables, so would a third of the country) just eliminate the things that are "allowing the Democrats to obstruct him" (ignoring his own party being morons)

Republicans as a whole are too Chickenshit to defend Democracy if it comes to Stopping Trump from a Coup vs working with Democrats to impeach him.

I don't know if the Associate Attorney General Rachel Brand or the Solicitor General Jeff Wall would be willing to do it though

Nobody but Rosenstein has the legal right to do it until there's a new AG unless Rosenstein gets fired. Brand or Wall can't do it currently.

Any other way that Trump tries to fire Mueller is open to legal challenge. :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Nobody but Rosenstein has the legal right to do it until there's a new AG unless Rosenstein gets fired. Brand or Wall can't do it currently.

Yes, like I said, Trump can fire down the line and fire both. I know its "political suicide", but since when has that stopped Trump?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
"Sessions was a total amateur, a real pro forma would not have recused, it's very unfair, to the president."

"Um, mister president..."

"Next question."

Buzzfeed reported that if Sessions resigns, there are thousands of people Trump could choose from to be the acting AG, sidestepping Senate confirmation. Under the Vacancies Reform Act, anyone currently serving in a Senate-confirmed position or anyone working in the Justice Department for at least 90 days at above a certain pay grade is eligible to be acting AG. He'd need to get someone confirmed eventually, but it wouldn't take very long to throw a wrench in the Mueller investigation.

(I also read that the law in question mentions resignations but not firings, and so there's the question whether he could use it to appoint a replacement if he fired Sessions.)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Buzzfeed reported that if Sessions resigns, there are thousands of people Trump could choose from to be the acting AG, sidestepping Senate confirmation. Under the Vacancies Reform Act, anyone currently serving in a Senate-confirmed position or anyone working in the Justice Department for at least 90 days at above a certain pay grade is eligible to be acting AG. He'd need to get someone confirmed eventually, but it wouldn't take very long to throw a wrench in the Mueller investigation.

(I also read that the law in question mentions resignations but not firings, and so there's the question whether he could use it to appoint a replacement if he fired Sessions.)
Technically every firing is a resignation since everyone has to turn in their resignation papers day 1 on the job. So the distinction is pointless. Case in point, when Trump fired Yates earlier this year, he made an executive order putting the US attorney of Eastern Virginia (Dana Boente) on the Department of Justice hierarchy and then had him serve as Acting Attorney General until Sessions was confirmed.

Will be interesting to see how Kelly fits in.

Pretty sure Kelly hates Mexicans like Trump does and Reince never did, so that should help.

People in the WH week probably respect him more too.

Dealing with Congress and Senate will just be taken up by pence so that should also help.

But Trump is Trump, so you never know.

jelly

Kelly doesn't look like the type to take any shit but I guess he respects the chain of command. Trump is a coward, is there any evidence he is fearful of the military general types?

Kelly doesn't look like the type to take any shit but I guess he respects the chain of command. Trump is a coward, is there any evidence he is fearful of the military general types?
Guess you forgot the "I know more than the generals, believe me"

Kelly won't contain him.

Trump is losing it..
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/891257113565163520

Republican Senate must get rid of 60 vote NOW! It is killing the R Party, allows 8 Dems to control country. 200 Bills sit in Senate. A JOKE!

EDIT: More:
The very outdated filibuster rule must go. Budget reconciliation is killing R's in Senate. Mitch M, go to 51 Votes NOW and WIN. IT'S TIME!

Republicans in the Senate will NEVER win if they don't go to a 51 vote majority NOW. They look like fools and are just wasting time......

They couldn't even get 51 votes yesterday but sure I guess getting rid of the legislative filibuster will magically give them the 51 votes they needed for the skinny repeal.

GrapeApes

Asshole couldn't even get 50 votes on healthcare. Next he's going to be arguing the Senate needs to change to 49 votes to pass legislation.

NewFresh

I have to imagine that the Republicans realize trump doesn't care about any long term repercussions as long as he can say he did something/anything.

He's not even specifying what legislation he's wanting pushed through with 51 votes, he just wants anything passed so he can take the credit for it. Its embarrassing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sucks McConnell nuked the SC filibuster because he'd really have nothing to show for his first six months at all.

Sucks McConnell nuked the SC filibuster because he'd really have nothing to show for his first six months at all.

Silver Lining, in the event that a republican president has a SCJ pick and the dems have the senate, they can just bring in a giant picture of a cartoon turtle kissing an orange turd to explain why they're blocking the nomination.

I'm going to assume that someone explained to him that any of his other policy legislation is going to get harder to pass than health care was.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any notable Gorsch rulings over the last few months? (Sincere question.)

I mean he basically votes in lockstep with Thomas.
Gorsuch, Thomas and Alito would have let the modified Trump travel ban go into effect in its entirety, while six justices, including the chief justice and Kennedy, issued a compromise ruling that allowed the executive order to go into effect with certain conditions. Until the court reviews the order more fully in October, the six said that the modified ban cannot be applied to "foreign nationals who have a credible claim of bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States."

On gay rights, the three dissented when the court summarily struck down an Arkansas law that barred married same-sex couples from having both their names on a birth certificate. Writing for the conservative trio, Gorsuch said, "It is very hard to see what is wrong with . . . a birth registration regime based on biology."

In contrast, the other six justices, including the chief justice and Kennedy, wrote that the court's 2015 decision declaring a right to marry for same-sex couples guaranteed more than a marriage certificate. It also guaranteed "the constellation of benefits that the States have linked to marriage." And the majority observed that the states, including Arkansas, do not have a paternity requirement for opposite-sex couples to list both names on a birth certificate.

On gun rights, Gorsuch and Thomas voted to hear a challenge to a California law barring people from carrying a gun in public for self-defense. The other seven justices left in place a lower court ruling that upheld the law.

On the subject of campaign finance, Gorsuch and Thomas cast similar dissenting votes when the court refused to hear a challenge to the so-called soft-money ban contained in the McCain-Feingold campaign finance law.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
All the talk of moving Sessions to DHS is making me nervous for Mueller.

Ernest

Banned
I'm very skeptical of the OC going blue in the near future. I work in Orange County and with people who live there. Let just say I don't see eye to eye with virtually anyone in my office. Including about 70% of the younger employees. So I probably have a ton of confirmation bias.

I'm in Ed Royce's district on the border of the OC. He's in three counties. San Bernardino, Los Angeles and Orange County. LA is the only one who didn't vote for Royce and it was slim in 2016. I live next to people with the Tea Party flag and another with Blue lives matter American flag. I feel like I'm surrounded by republicans. So again, skeptical but confirmation bias.
My experience has been different than yours.
I was born in NYC, but I've lived in OC since 1979, and it has definitely been getting more progressive over the last 10 years. Not in certain cities, but in enough of them where going blue is just a matter of time. I'm in Irvine, and almost all my neighbors are moderate to liberal and ALL of them hate Trump.

Can McConnell get rid of the filibuster by himself or does he need the rest of the senate to support him? Because while he's maybe willing to burn it all down, I don't see how most senators there would be happy with sidelining themselves entirely in any Dem senate that comes up.

Can McConnell get rid of the filibuster by himself or does he need the rest of the senate to support him? Because while he's maybe willing to burn it all down, I don't see how most senators there would be happy with sidelining themselves entirely in any Dem senate that comes up.
changing senate rules requires a simple majority vote

Ernest

Banned
Fucker's tweeting a bunch of shit about how the rules aren't fair to him and how they have to change.

What a little bitch!

If McConnell is eventually replaced, who would take over?

Cornyn maybe?

There's really no obvious successor. In the House, if Ryan goes I could see Meadows strongarming the rest of the caucus into supporting him, by virtue of being the leader of the only group of House Republicans capable of organizing at all (tho the Tuesday Group is starting to stand up for themselves a little). In the Senate, there's McConnell, and... I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom