• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Jan 26 Debate/Florida Primary Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinbe

1HGER.jpg

relaxor

what?
In one of those cosmic contradictions of American politics it is a Republican preaching about a government undertaking to colonize the moon and a Democrat (Obama) radically suggesting that the free market make the moon base when it becomes profitable to do so.

Because of awesome.
I've been railing against this for the last couple of days, but I'll go in again: manned spaceflight is a huge waste of time. In the short term, I don't see what putting bodies in space accomplishes that droids couldn't, except putting extraordinary amounts of human capital at risk. Particularly if we want to establish a colony.

And to what end? Is there unobtanium
(Fuck you, Cameron, for insulting the intelligence of everyone who sat through that movie. Mechs with a tac knife, ffs)
on the moon that I don't know about?

relaxor

what?
I've been railing against this for the last couple of days, but I'll go in again: manned spaceflight is a huge waste of time. In the short term, I don't see what putting bodies in space accomplishes that droids couldn't, except putting extraordinary amounts of human capital at risk. Particularly if we want to establish a colony.

(Fuck you, Cameron, for insulting the intelligence of everyone who sat through that movie. Mechs with a tac knife, ffs)

Yeah it's called Helium 3. That's what Gingrich refers to with his 'mining colony' statements.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I've always thought that Newt was a fat puzzle wrapped around an (even fatter) enigma. He seems to be as religious as Bachmann or Perry, but also seems to have this amazing fascination with science, even if he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

I don't get that.

You didn't highlight the craziest part
"At one point early in my career I introduced the northwest ordinance for space and I said when we got -- I think the number is 13,000 -- when we have 13,000 Americans living on the moon they can petition to become a state,"
The moon will be part of the US!

Seriously though. As my british friend just said. How is this guy even close to being president.

This guy is something else.

Our generation's JFK.
For those who haven't seen it, Newt has a lot of brilliant ideas.

http://www.businessinsider.com/newt-gingrich-crazy-ideas-2011-12?op=1
Among Gingrich's spacier ideas, arguably the most bizarre is his support for a "mirror system in space that could provide the light equivalent of many full moons so that there would be no need for nighttime lighting of the highways. Ambient light covering entire areas could reduce the current danger of criminals lurking in the darkness. Mirrors could be arranged to light given metropolitan areas only during particular periods, so there would be darkness late at night for sleeping."

Trurl

Banned
Eh, I think that there might be a level of crazy genius to the mirror idea. Is it Newt's own or did he lift it from someone else? Could we use mirrors to allow solar fields to operate at night?

Trurl

Banned
That sounds like the set-up for a classic Trek episode.

Edit: ah. I just looked up Die Another Day on Wikipedia. I didn't realize how closely the "space weapon" mirrored Gingrich's idea.

Shitty Bond movie or not, I'm not going to scoff at the idea just because it's a little out there.

It's perfectly fine to laugh at having a moon colony by 2020, though.

Branduil

Manned spaceflight in the 60s was responsible for a large amount of innovations that we take for granted today.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I've always thought that Newt was a fat puzzle wrapped around an (even fatter) enigma. He seems to be as religious as Bachmann or Perry, but also seems to have this amazing fascination with science, even if he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

I don't get that.

Neil Degrasse Tyson said in an interview a while ago that Gingrich was his pick if he had to pick a republican candidate because he was the only one legitimately interested in science.

Manned spaceflight in the 60s was responsible for a large amount of innovations that we take for granted today.
And attempting to put robots in space wouldn't require any innovation? I'm asking why there should be any reason to prefer putting people in space over robots when they can do pretty much all the same things?

Branduil

And attempting to put robots in space wouldn't require any innovation? I'm asking why there should be any reason to prefer putting people in space over robots when they can do pretty much all the same things?

But they can't do all of the same things. Having a manned colony in space would give us a chance to learn a lot more about the human body, and creating a colony to accommodate humans would require a lot of innovations and new technologies that a robot colony wouldn't.

watershed

Banned
Newt really reminds me of oddball grandparents with nothing to do who spend all their time thinking up crazy solutions to things that aren't problems.

Ecotic

When it comes to our tax dollars being properly spent I'm still trying to figure out the obsession with OUR moon. Now Europa with its possible liquid oceans, that's a moon worth sinking some dollars into. Titan with an atmosphere, oceans, lakes, rainfall, and actual seasons, that's also a moon well worth discovering.

When it comes to natural satellites our moon is desolate and boring.

I don't know why you guys are hating on Newt's moon colony plan. That's the last thing to hate the guy on. As if Obama and the democrats have any semblance of a space exploration plan in their offices and last I remember, this Congress gutted NASA. I want colonies on moon too, maybe 50 years from now. At least when Newt is president, he'll be funding his space colony program out the ass.

You're suggesting robotic technology was advanced enough in the '60s to do all the things a person can do?

Do you not believe that one of the greatest accomplishments of mankind is the moon landing of 1969?

I don't know why you guys are hating on Newt's moon colony plan. That's the last thing to hate the guy on. As if Obama and the democrats have any semblance of a space exploration plan in their offices and last I remember, this Congress gutted NASA. I want colonies on moon too, maybe 50 years from now. At least when Newt is president, he'll be funding his space colony program out the ass.

Because its so out there, an unrealistic timetable and he wants to make the moon a US state.

That and it flys flat in the face of the government can't do anything right.

I do want more space though and I'd guess that would be an upside of a newt presidency.

I really don't understand Newt's space fascination. It's at odds with pretty much everything else about him.
Not really it's pretty much what he is. He's a guy who has a giant ego, likes the "epic" and wants to be a giant historical figure. Space is right up his ally.

Zzoram

Well, first nation to build a manned base on the Moon kinda does get to claim it as one of their states do they not? Newt just wants to beat China to it.

You're suggesting robotic technology was advanced enough in the '60s to do all the things a person can do?

Do you not believe that one of the greatest accomplishments of mankind is the moon landing of 1969?
No, I'm saying it is now.

I think it was a neat trick. I don't see a compelling reason to repeat it.

Al-ibn Kermit

When it comes to our tax dollars being properly spent I'm still trying to figure out the obsession with OUR moon. Now Europa with its possible liquid oceans, that's a moon worth sinking some dollars into. Titan with an atmosphere, oceans, lakes, rainfall, and actual seasons, that's also a moon well worth discovering.

When it comes to natural satellites our moon is desolate and boring.

I got that he wanted to make the colony simply for mining the He3. But why would we want to put a mining colony on the moon in 2020 when we're still decades away from having nuclear fusion power plants?

"At one point early in my career I introduced the northwest ordinance for space and I said when we got -- I think the number is 13,000 -- when we have 13,000 Americans living on the moon they can petition to become a state,"

KuGsj.gif

In a way, it is so cute. It is like he is a child.

For those who have not seen it: Supervillain or Newt?

mj1108

KuGsj.gif

In a way, it is so cute. It is like he is a child.

For those who have not seen it: Supervillain or Newt?

I'll vote for Newt if he promises to take every right wing nut and put them on the moon so we don't have to listen to their batshit insane ideas and thoughts.

But then they'd petition to become a state...we can just pretend they don't exist.

So Cantor blamed Obama for the fact that Buffet's secretary pays higher taxes than Warren Buffet?

In response to a question about whether Buffett’s secretary – a guest of the First Lady’s at Tuesday’s address – should pay less than the billionaire investor, Cantor said the Obama administration should be the target of frustration.

“I don’t think anyone wants to pay higher taxes. I think the reality is the reason why Warren Buffett’s secretary and so many millions of other Americans are frustrated is they see policies that have been promoted for the last three years by this White House that, frankly, don’t work,” said Cantor. “What do most people do when you reach a point and see that things aren’t working? You try something new.”
Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71944.html#ixzz1kXRIOF1x

Have they no shame? Are their followers that stupid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom