• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Jan 26 Debate/Florida Primary Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
If you want "PoliGAF," do it in the Community Forum. Have a megathread. When there is a something broadly significant to discuss or report, the off-topic forum gets a thread for that. Send people from PoliGAF over to discuss it, by posting a link there in PoliGAF. The threads in the off-topic forum shouldn't be "PoliGAF" threads, but rather just plain ol' off-topic forum threads about some political story or discussion, just as everything posted on GAF works.

I don't know if you're still reading this thread, but...why can't PoliGAF have a sticky thread at the top of OT? Is it because of the controversial subject matter?

The PoliGAF threads are just as popular as the sports threads that get a sticky.

Probably old, but what a sour-faced shitbag the governor of Arizona is, quite apart from being a Xenophobic economics failure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/25/jan-brewer-obama_n_1232367.html

This picture isn't a "gotcha" frame either. This is literally a Tea Party Governor of a State WAGGING HER FINGER at the goddamned president of the United States. Even Nixon doesn't deserve that. The Office of the Presidency requires strong honest debate, but it also requires manners. A citizen can get away with this, a Governor should set a better example.

fCnBy.jpg

I had 4 people on FB post this picture. All of them so proud of Brewer.

Ashitaka

Worked on me. I went from 0% support of Gingrich to 1% support of him. Any increase in attention/money spent on space gets auto support.

If I magically became benevolent dictator of the US, the entire defense budget would be shifted to a space budget.

(Ok, only like 90% of the defense budget).

You could just swap them: NASA gets the defense budget, defense gets NASA's budget.

GhaleonEB

Romney tax returns detail funds not identified in ethics forms

Some investments listed in Mitt and Ann Romney’s 2010 tax returns – including a now-closed Swiss bank account and other funds located overseas – were not explicitly disclosed in the personal financial statement the GOP presidential hopeful filed in August as part of his White House bid.

The Romney campaign described the discrepancies as “trivial” but acknowledged Thursday afternoon that they are undergoing an internal review of how the investments were reported and will make “some minor technical amendments” to Romney’s financial disclosure that will not alter the overall picture of his finances.

A review by the Los Angeles Times/Tribune Washington Bureau found that at least 23 funds and partnerships listed in the couple’s 2010 tax returns did not show up or were not listed in the same fashion on Romney’s most recent financial disclosure, including 11 based in low-tax foreign countries such as Bermuda, the Cayman Islands and Luxembourg.

The campaign has stressed that Romney has paid all required U.S. taxes on his foreign funds.

Many of the funds are affiliated with Bain Capital, the Boston-based private equity firm Romney ran for 15 years. Several others are apparently unrelated offshore entities with mysterious names such as Babson 2006-1, which is based in the Cayman Islands, and Barracuda Investments, which has an address in Dublin, Ireland, but appears to be solely owned by Golden Gate Capital, a private equity firm based in San Francisco.​

Whoops.

Wray

Hahaha at Newts Moonbase.

What we should be doing, is pouring funding into a Europa Project and better telescope and propulsion technology. We should wait 2-3 three decades until robotics and AI have advanced enough that we can send robots/droids up in our place to BUILD the Moonbase. Then once it's built, we can start settling it and populating it with humans.

Romney tax returns detail funds not identified in ethics forms

Some investments listed in Mitt and Ann Romney’s 2010 tax returns – including a now-closed Swiss bank account and other funds located overseas – were not explicitly disclosed in the personal financial statement the GOP presidential hopeful filed in August as part of his White House bid.

The Romney campaign described the discrepancies as “trivial” but acknowledged Thursday afternoon that they are undergoing an internal review of how the investments were reported and will make “some minor technical amendments” to Romney’s financial disclosure that will not alter the overall picture of his finances.

A review by the Los Angeles Times/Tribune Washington Bureau found that at least 23 funds and partnerships listed in the couple’s 2010 tax returns did not show up or were not listed in the same fashion on Romney’s most recent financial disclosure, including 11 based in low-tax foreign countries such as Bermuda, the Cayman Islands and Luxembourg.

The campaign has stressed that Romney has paid all required U.S. taxes on his foreign funds.

Many of the funds are affiliated with Bain Capital, the Boston-based private equity firm Romney ran for 15 years. Several others are apparently unrelated offshore entities with mysterious names such as Babson 2006-1, which is based in the Cayman Islands, and Barracuda Investments, which has an address in Dublin, Ireland, but appears to be solely owned by Golden Gate Capital, a private equity firm based in San Francisco.​

Whoops.

The amounts are "trivial"?

So under $250,000?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
We need a chart showing what words like trivial and insignificant mean in romney-terms.

How much were the speaking fees again?

Got to feel bad for romney. When you make so much, $3m here and there just slips through the cracks.

If taxes were lower, that would never happen.

http://www.mittbucks.com

Find out what $10,000 means to Romney!

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
I don't know if you're still reading this thread, but...why can't PoliGAF have a sticky thread at the top of OT? Is it because of the controversial subject matter?

The PoliGAF threads are just as popular as the sports threads that get a sticky.

I had 4 people on FB post this picture. All of them so proud of Brewer.

God I hate Brewer so much.

Mike M

Nick N
the DMC should send Newt a huge check after all is said and done.

Didn't the Bush campaign funnel money into Nader's coffers in 2000 to keep him in the race and split the vote?

Though I guess a party monkeying around with the primary process of the opposition would be unprecedented...

Newt needs a blow out performance today to win Florida

A new Rasmussen survey in Florida shows Mitt Romney now leading Newt Gingrich by eight points, 39% to 31%, with Rick Santorum at 12% and Ron Paul at 9%.

Four days ago, just after the South Carolina Primary, Gingrich led Romney 41% to 32%

"The FiveThirtyEight forecast model still projects Mr. Gingrich as the slight favorite in Florida, giving him a 2-point lead and a 60 percent chance of victory. However, this lead is diminished considerably from two days ago, when the model saw a potential double-digit win for Mr. Gingrich as polls released immediately after the South Carolina primary had him surging in Florida."

"In fact, I suspect the model is being too conservative and that there is enough evidence -- when you look carefully at the day-to-day results -- to conclude that Mr. Romney has re-emerged as the slight favorite in Florida instead."

Miletius

FiveThirtyEight updates it's forecast for Florida Primaries.

The short version:

In other words, there’s not really a lot of question about what we’re seeing: Mr. Romney probably holds the polling lead right now. The FiveThirtyEight forecast model puts his lead at 4 to 5 percentage points.

He goes on to mention that Newt absolutely must preform tonight. So, expect sparks to fly tonight as Romney and Newt slug it out for Florida, and possibly the nomination.

Edit: Beaten

Romney was perceived as the winner last debate so I imagine this one will be decided by who can out-asshole the other.

Wait, who thought romney won the last debate? I didn't see it, but saw nothing but "newt's domination of romney in the debate" type headlines and discussions.

thekad

Banned
Wait, who thought romney won the last debate? I didn't see it, but saw nothing but "newt's domination of romney in the debate" type headlines and discussions.

Me and PD thought Romney killed Newt. As you know, we've captured the pulse of the Republican primary voter.

Miletius

Me and PD thought Romney killed Newt. As you know, we've captured the pulse of the Republican primary voter.

Generally I thought it was a wash. To me, this seems logical because Romney's surge has failed to materialize beyond Florida. So while his performance was enough to stem the bleeding it did him no favors on the national stage.

In addition the fact that the Romney surge is localized could be attributed to ad dollars being spent there. Newt's PAC hasn't made significant buys there yet, but are theoretically going all in soon.

Kettch

This primary has definitely been an interesting comparison to 2004, when democratic voters absolutely caved in on Kerry because he was a "winner" and could take out Bush, despite no one actually liking Kerry. I guess republican voters are quite a bit more uncompromising. One of the amusing side effects of the party having painted everything in terms of an absolute good and evil.

Mike M

Nick N
Newt needs a blow out performance today to win Florida

You can almost feel Gingrich's victory in Florida slipping away... I think it's still possible he might win, but with the early voting favoring Romney and Gingrich's inability to maintain altitude in the polls, it'd be a squeaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom