• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Metro Redux 1080p60 on PS4, 900p60 on XB1, graphics/gameplay updated

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Yep, PS4 is more powerful than the XBONE

If 60fps actually means 60fps, that's better than any Xbone owner could have realistically expected. When you consider how weak the Xbone is compared to modern hardware and how demanding the Metro games were on PC this sounds like a very good port.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
They're probably going to tone down 2033's awesome lighting in order to achiev 60fps though. :\

2033 is using the updated lighting engine from LL. my guess is optimization of the engine plus the new hardware will result in little change (on lighting at least).

muzzymate

I didn't realize this would be both Metro games. $50 for both on disc or digitally, or $25 per title to download. Seems like a good deal if you never played them. Though I still won't drop the point the industry has duped as all into thinking the lack of backwards compatibility is a good thing and then turns around and sells us the same game over and over again.

And, hooray for another "Xbox One sux, ha ha" thread.

Bgamer90

Banned
Don't really notice a difference between 900p and 1080p. Fine with this.

Pretty much have this line of thinking when it comes to the Xbox One (outside of a few exceptions): sports, racers, platformers, and puzzle games will more than likely remain 1080p on the system. The action games (especially the "AAA" ones) can be any range though. If 30 FPS then expect 900p-1080p. If 60 FPS then expect 720p-900p.

Wow, the Bone continues to disappoint. I'd be pissed if I were an owner, as this is no longer news but commonplace.

The hardware is simply inferior

I (and others) knew the system was weaker than the PS4 weeks before we purchased one. So no, we're not "pissed". We got the system since it's a big leap over last gen + it has (exclusive) games we're interested in.

Oh come on. We know you'd be pissed off at yourself for owning one in the first place.

Mannnn...

Servbot24

Banned
Wow, the Bone continues to disappoint. I'd be pissed if I were an owner, as this is no longer news but commonplace.

The hardware is simply inferior

Everyone that bought an XB1 knew that they were buying the weaker system and that it would have worse versions of multiplats. Shouldn't be any disappointment.

coastel

surprised at both consoles res/fps seeing as pc gamers say it takes a fairly decent pc to play it all depends on the equivalent pc settings there at for how impressive it is.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
2033 is using the updated lighting engine from LL. my guess is optimization of the engine plus the new hardware will result in little change (on lighting at least).

Well, Last Light did tone down the lightning, if compared to 2033.
Like, in 2033 almost every light was volumetric, full-res, casted a shadow (even the muzzle-flashes). In Last Light, as far as I'm told, this is not the case.

Not that Last Light looks any worse than 2033. It's just, you know, those little details. :lol

x-Lundz-x

Battlefield 4 is the only 900p game I own and I can definitely tell the difference from it and my other 1080p games. I hate it. The whole game feels like a photoshop picture that was enlarged at improper proportions.

I actually just finished playing BF4 the other night (just the campaign, no interest in the MP). The only thing that stuck out to being "odd" to me were the cinemas, they just looked different then what I'm used to seeing. It doesn't mean they looked bad by any means. The game itself looked great in my opinion. Could I tell a difference between BF4 and the amazing Infamous in 1080P, of course. Still, the game looked great.

CCIE

Banned
I think most XB1 fans bought into the bull that the software situation would improve, and the two systems would be on equal ground.

Apparently that was just market speak...

borghe

surprised at both consoles res/fps seeing as pc gamers say it takes a fairly decent pc to play it all depends on the equivalent pc settings there at for how impressive it is.

biggest reason it needed a big rig (2033) was VRAM. Outside of that a 570 had enough juice to get 60fps. With 5GB(?) available GDDR5, 2033 shouldn't be "too" impossible for PS4.

Rembrandt

Banned
And the infinite power of cloud.

Damn, i care shit about Xbox One, but this is really sad. Kinda hope that in future things will be alright.

...kinda hope things will get better but not really because I don't care about the Xbox One but this is really sad so I kinda hope things will get better but not really because I don't care about the Xbox One but this is really sad so I...

I think most XB1 fans bought into the bull that the software situation would improve, and the two systems would be on equal ground.

I really doubt it, but I'll speak for myself and I say I knew the Xbox would be the weaker system throughout the gen but I didn't/don't really care.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
biggest reason it needed a big rig (2033) was VRAM. Outside of that a 570 had enough juice to get 60fps. The 5GB(?) available GDDR5 2033 shouldn't be "too" impossible for PS4.

What? No way. I have a 570 and I had to play it at 30fps and in scenes when the lightning was very heavy I was getting 20fps. And this was in DX9, with no physx.

borghe

What? No way. I had to play it at 30fps and in scenes when the lightning was very heavy I was getting 20fps. And this was in DX9, with no physx.

with what card?

edit - saw you added the card. but with how much vram? that's what I was saying. At any given time it seems the game consumed ~1.5-2GB of VRAM. So those with 1GB cards and such saw pretty serious performance hits.

Tsundere

Banned

As developers push graphical boundaries, they will have to choose between resolution parity, or effect/graphical parity.

The software will improve (for both consoles), the hardware gap will always remain the same, so the gap in the games will remain relatively the same throughout the entire generation.

Xpliskin

Systematically lower resolutions.
The same conclusion from different worldclass developers.

Is there something wrong with the hardware the devs only know about ?
The early devkits are bad ?

I really want to know.

I only own the free Steam version of 2033 but my laptop would probably run it either like a powerpoint presentation or like a really smooth looking 90's game. So I'll be getting the console version with both games.

VaizardNL

Banned
It's not going to stop.

Don't wanna read 'em? Don't click 'em.

So don't click on any thread at all you mean? :p I'll be perfectly satisfied with 900p btw. I'll buy an Xbox One in September knowing it'll probably always have a lower resolution than the PS4. I buy it for everything and not just resolution.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
It's great that they are remaking these games for the new generation of consoles. Both games are extremely good and certainly have the potential to be some of the best-looking games on next-gen. I was playing Last Light recently at near-maxed out settings and it often looked as impressive technically as anything I've seen on next-gen consoles. Hopefully most of the effects carry over to these console versions.

I'm curious what changes they will make to the games because both certainly have issues here and there, but such changes could harm the games as much as help them. We'll have to wait and see on that.

As for the Xbox One resolution issue, it's hardly surprising yet still worth noting every single time. It's an unavoidable and undeniable fact that Microsoft really screwed up the design of their console this time around, but consumers should be informed of these facts every time that Microsoft and publishers of software on next-gen consoles try to sell an inferior experience on Xbox One for the same price as the superior PS4 version. And vice versa, of course, in the event that such a thing occurs.

I really doubt it, but I'll speak for myself and I say I knew the Xbox would be the weaker system throughout the gen but I didn't/don't really care.

Yep, as long as it looks good on my tv and I can play with my friends, good enough. If I want 1080p+ that bad for a 3rd party game, I just buy it on steam.

nynt9

I'm always surprised when devs choose to surface this stuff, what's the benefit?

Would you rather consumers found out later and essentially end up being fooled? Have you seen the "downgrade" backlashes? People really care about this stuff.

I'm always surprised when devs choose to surface this stuff, what's the benefit?

It just gets it out of the way instead of having it some kind of cloud looming over the game for ages. They might be proud of their achievements as well in this particular case.

x-Lundz-x

Systematically lower resolutions.
The same conclusion from different worldclass developers.

Is there something wrong with the hardware the devs only know about ?
The early devkits are bad ?

I really want to know.

What do you want to know? Is the XB1 weaker than the PS4? Yes.

Top Bottom