• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Metro Redux 1080p60 on PS4, 900p60 on XB1, graphics/gameplay updated

KainXVIII

dat gap!
Seriously, i want to play first game in 60 fps (old pc version was lacking optimization)

metro-1920.png

derwalde

funny how last gen 360 owners/fans/sites would make a bigger deal out of often less than a 10% performance/resolution advantage for 360, but this gen a 10% disadvantage is "acceptable" to most.

funny how things have changed (and really.. just interesting. that is all)

will be curious to see the equivalent quality settings on PS4 compared to PC.. guessing it will be the usual "minor but there" difference.

war... war has changed.

Battlefield 4 is the only 900p game I own and I can definitely tell the difference from it and my other 1080p games. I hate it. The whole game feels like a photoshop picture that was enlarged at improper proportions.

I disagree, I also have BF4 on PS4 and while I can tell the difference between 1080p and 900p I don't think its bad, Its "enough" imo. But I don't own an xbone so thats not going to be an issue for me with this game! :D

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
see my post above. I'm guessing you had 1GB of RAM? Basically you needed a card (or SLI) with 2GB or more to run the game at 1080p.
Yeah, the standard 1.2GB of vRAM nVidia put on the 570. Well, good to know, maybe they won't have to make to many scrifices on console then.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
how in the fuck are they managing 1080/60 on ps4?

I want the receipts

one of the bigger issues with 2033 was always framebuffer/RAM size, not GPU horsepower. Thanks to 5GB GDDR5 The biggest obstacle for the game is overcome.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
funny how last gen 360 owners/fans/sites would make a bigger deal out of often less than a 10% performance/resolution advantage for 360, but this gen a 10% disadvantage is "acceptable" to most.

will be curious to see the equivalent quality settings on PS4 compared to PC.. guessing it will be the usual "minor but there" difference.

Double standards and all that.

d0nnie

Banned
Hmm, going to keep an eye out for this game.

But damn, another sub-1080p title for the XBO?

If the PS4 wasn't pumping out better performance, I'd say "good enough...", but since it is, it's not good. I guess this is the norm for the XBO. MSFT better have some awesome exclusives, otherwise there's no real reason to own an XBO as a gamer.

Bgamer90

Banned

Both sides (major PS and Xbox fans) have flipped flopped in many ways from last gen TBH.

nynt9

I would rather they tell us, I just don't see how it benefits them.

Maybe they like proclaiming they achieved 1080p60 on PS4, and they can't not disclose what they did with the XB1 version as everyone will keep asking them after that.

Yikes.

Not super surprised, but still kind of.

Not sure how that worked.

anyway, never played these games, heard they were good. May pick it up for that Quad.

I think most XB1 fans bought into the bull that the software situation would improve, and the two systems would be on equal ground.

Apparently that was just market speak...

It's also been less than a year. I'm a PS4 person but even I have common sense.

Rembrandt

Banned

you ever think it was because the PS3 was touted as being more powerful than the 360?

also as others have pointed out, this is the first gen I've seen really hardcore resolution battles and they seem to be fueled by PS4 owners.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer

This. It's a little baffling to be honest.

That's what really gets me, everyone made such a big deal about the relatively small differences between Ps3 and 360 (including the press), yet now an actually noticeable and rather large difference is just brushed aside as okay. That double standard is just too much.

It's shouldn't be just "okay". The X1 should be at least on par with the PS4 if it aims to directly compete. Then again, the Wii U is also a next gen console so yea.

As long as MS is able to get all their exclusives up to 1080p, I'll be fine since it's going to be an exclusive box for me anyways, but there's still no excuse, especially when MS wants the same amount of money for their hardware-wise inferior console.

If it's a locked 60, or even locked 60 with a few dips, that's pretty impressive. I'm interested to see some gameplay.

I have Metro 2033 on Steam but never got around to playing it. Maybe I should do that.

Leb

I remember being able to check my watch and inventory in LL. Was this not available in the console versions?

Regarding the watch, in 2033 there is a button to explicitly bring your watch up to your face (the watch is also superior in that it includes not just how much time is left on your current filter but how much aggregate filter time you have left). In LL, no such button exists and with certain weapons/certain gear, it was hard to see the watch clearly.

Regarding inventory, this is undoubtedly referring to Ranger mode, a mode in which the HUD is disabled. This mode also prevented the player from being able to see the current status of his inventory, meaning either you mentally tracked your filters/ammo/etc, or you were shit out of luck.

I'm always surprised when devs choose to surface this stuff, what's the benefit?

What's the point in keep it a secret? They know the news will get out sooner or later, so you might as well be up front and honest with your customers.

That's what really gets me, everyone made such a big deal about the relatively small differences between Ps3 and 360 (including the press), yet now an actually noticeable and rather large difference is just brushed aside as okay. That double standard is just too much.

It's shouldn't be just "okay". The X1 should be at least on par with the PS4 if it aims to directly compete. Then again, the Wii U is also a next gen console so yea.

As long as MS is able to get all their exclusives up to 1080p, I'll be fine since it's going to be an exclusive box for me anyways.

I would say these differences are actually getting a lot more coverage today than they ever did during the 360/PS3 era. Back then only Digital Foundry and a couple smaller sites would bother reporting on this stuff for the most part. Now it seems like most sites are reporting on these resolution disparities.

Xpliskin

What do you want to know? Is the XB1 weaker than the PS4? Yes.

That's right and wrong.

XBOne is weaker than the PS4, yes.
Theoretically, if we take the lowest common performance denominator of both consoles, both could pull off 1080p/60 for these games. Some of them are last-gen games.

But every developer seems to encounter the same issues with Xbone.
Maybe the libraries suck, requiring too much lower level work that the developers have no budget for. Or some other inherent issue in the design itself (the multiple OSes, ...) .

Wonder if I can dig up some GDC stuff about that.

RayMaker

Banned
sunset info drops

X1<<<<ME>>>>>>ps4

we're in may and multiplats continue to look better on PS4

X1<<<<<ME>>>>>PS4

I'am still under the belief that the games coming out now have been deved using old SDK on X1.

I want to wait until this fall where next gen multiplats hits, COD:KEVIN SPACEY, ASS:UNITY and EVOLVE.In my eyes if Microsoft have not got there SDK's up to scratch after a year then they never will (or they already where and its just a weaker console).

If microsoft blow me away this E3 it may be there saving grace, but with every inferior multiplat they are pushing me away.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

I guess I must have been pretty oblivious last generation, because I don't really remember that huge a deal being made of those minor differences most of the time. There were some things I remember, like the fact that Halo 3 was sub-HD, or some pretty heated arguments about whether the PS3 version of GTA3 or the 360 version of GTA3 looked better, but the kinds of continual, repetitive, chest-beating that some people seem to recall? I guess I wasn't posting in the right places at the right time.

you ever think it was because the PS3 was touted as being more powerful than the 360?

Yea, I can definitely tell I wasn't around the block. I was always under the impression PS3 was the graphic king. Hell, it just having a blu ray player made me come to the conclusion it just had to be the more power system.

blazeuk

Wow, the Bone continues to disappoint. I'd be pissed if I were an owner, as this is no longer news but commonplace.

The hardware is simply inferior

Why would anyone be pissed off about it? It might be disappointing for sure, but on here pretty much everyone knew the hardware wasn't as good as the PS4 and generally outside of places like this no-one really cares or can tell the difference between resolutions anyway. What I find most odd is that there seems to be many who don't see games as their primary reason for owning a console but hardware specs, it will always baffle me. Why an allegiance to a single console when it means you'll be missing out on so many great games?

RE_Player

Also super happy you'll be able to get these separately. I got Last Light through Plus on PS3 so I'll probably skip that on PS4.

jelly

Is there any reason for some games hitting 900p while others hit 720p/792p, like a certain technique or feature?

mike4001_

Battlefield 4 is the only 900p game I own and I can definitely tell the difference from it and my other 1080p games. I hate it. The whole game feels like a photoshop picture that was enlarged at improper proportions.

I hope you never bougt a game before the PS4 came out.

They were almost unplayable ...

I'm so on board for this game on PS4, I actually held off on the PS3 version of Last Light for the chance of getting it in 1080p on the new consoles.

coastel

Also super happy you'll be able to get these separately. I got Last Light through Plus on PS3 so I'll probably skip that on PS4.

Yea i found that a great idea to more than likely mean they could sell more if people don't want to pay for both due to plying one of them...i have not played any so will be picking up both and would feel like its a good deal still as other remasters only include one game for the same price this includes two.

Top Bottom