• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis suggests gay marriage threatens traditional families

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDX

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/pope-francis-suggests-gay-marriage-threatens-traditional-families

In a reference critical to gay marriage, Pope Francis on Friday warned against an ideological colonization of the family, during his five-day visit to the Philippines, Asia’s most Catholic country.

At a rally for families in the country’s capital of Manila, the popular pontiff spoke of an “ideological colonization that we have to be careful about that is trying to destroy the family,” the pope said through a translator. Many people understood his remarks as a reference to same-sex marriage.

“The family is threatened by growing efforts on the part of some to redefine the very institution of marriage, by relativism, by the culture of the ephemeral, by a lack of openness to life,” Francis said at a Mass in Manila. “These realities are increasingly under attack from powerful forces, which threaten to disfigure God’s plan for creation.”

[...]

The pope made headlines earlier this week for suggesting to reporters there are limits to freedom of expression, in the wake of multiple terror attacks in Paris. In response to the shooting last Wednesday at the offices of French satirical newspaper, Charlie Hebdo, where 12 people were killed, Francis said that “one cannot make fun of faith.” Anyone who throws insults, he added, can expect a “punch.”

Well, between this and his 'limits to freedom of expression' statement earlier ...my opinion of the Pope this week hasn't been very favorable.

Pope Reminds World That Yes, He's Catholic.

He wasn't about to upend centuries of dogma on his own, and it should come as no surprise that the church as an institution will continue to carry on its homophobic traditions and message.

commedieu

Banned
man, this is like when I realized Obama is a dickhead.

Well, it was a good run of speaking honestly about the way human beings live, to promote a equal quality of life for everyone.

Back to 4 legs good 2 legs bad.

Daft Fear

Neo Member
Yeah…. I thought his comments on the Charlie Hebdo attack were pretty bad, and now this?

It's been a very long time since I've felt any association to the term "Catholic" and the behaviour/views of the Pope (at various times, various Popes) have been a huge part in my loss of faith.

I should just give up the hope that one of these days a Pope will wake up and realize the world is a complex and beautiful place when you stop being so exclusive of everyone.

GG-Duo

Read the actual quote again.

“The family is threatened by growing efforts on the part of some to redefine the very institution of marriage, by relativism, by the culture of the ephemeral, by a lack of openness to life,” Francis said at a Mass in Manila. “These realities are increasingly under attack from powerful forces, which threaten to disfigure God’s plan for creation.”

Relativism, Ephemeral-ism, Closed-ness do not necessarily equal gay marriage.

No one goes through life without making mistakes and saying stupid-as-shit things. That said, he's saying some stupid-as-shit things.

maxcriden

I don't see anything about gay marriage in that quotes.

At a rally for families in the country’s capital of Manila, the popular pontiff spoke of an “ideological colonization that we have to be careful about that is trying to destroy the family,” the pope said through a translator. Many people understood his remarks as a reference to same-sex marriage.

The use of "disfigure" here is hate speak codeword for gay marriage.

Wreav

Banned
Or maybe he's just commenting on the metastate of marriage as seen by Catholics for its one true purpose: creation. Something that is impossible for a gay marriage to bring to bear.

He's not wrong, as a Catholic, but whether or not he's wrong as a sociologist is up to you.

I've had people explain it to me like I'm two, and I STILL don't understand how gay marriage threatens traditional families/marriages. Every.single.last person who has ever explained it to me just sounded remedial as fuck and I could see their minds doing triple axle mental figure skating to try and have it make sense.

commedieu

Banned
Or maybe he's just commenting on the metastate of marriage as seen by Catholics for its one true purpose: creation. Something that is impossible for a gay marriage to bring to bear.

He's not wrong, as a Catholic, but whether or not he's wrong as a sociologist is up to you.

No, hes wrong. catholic law doesn't rule all laws. No more than Islam does. Marriage isn't a religious right given by god. Its signed off by some bloke in Vegas.

All this does is promote division of people. 100%, thats literally all it does.

Elchele

I've had people explain it to me like I'm two, and I STILL don't understand how gay marriage threatens traditional families/marriages. Every.single.last person who has ever explained it to me just sounded remedial as fuck and I could see their minds doing triple axle mental figure skating to try and have it make sense.

They can't reproduce. Reproduction is a huge part of catholic marriage.

So if u stand for equal rights you're a sociologist? Funny i just thought it meant you wereN't a shit person

The problem with no reproduction is what exactly? World's overcrowded as it is, might as well adopt a kid instead. I'm all for eugenics, stop letting morons have kids.

quickwhips

Gay Marriage isn't a threat to marriage. Those Men and women wouldn't have gotten married any other way. Also They wouldn't have children the traditional way. They are helping by adopting children that have no families to love them. Pope is just so wrong this week. Its a shame.

Maybe someone has dirt on the pope?

commedieu

Banned
They can't reproduce. Reproduction is a huge part of catholic marriage.

So can sterile people not get married, according to make believe?

Oh wait, they can. Because getting married has nothing to do with reproduction. The world will be better off when people practice their backwards views in privacy of the home, and church, but no where else that people can respond with logic to.

Old people cant get married either, right..? Its not nonsense, its just nothing logical minds should follow while trying to run government.

J10

Banned

Because when you ask "how" there is no actual answer.

SmokyDave

Popes gonna Pope.

Are you married?

If not, you wouldn't understand. I only married my wife because I couldn't legally marry a dude. I mean, I'm not gay, and you might think that would be the deal-breaker, but it's actually just a small hurdle. The real thing that stopped me marrying a dude was the legality of it.

If it wasn't for that legal safety net protecting me, who knows what could've happened. It's chilling.

Flo_Evans

I would agree that in general the idea of traditional marriage and a family is under threat.

Nobody wants to get married now. The traditional husband working and wife raising the family is just not many peoples reality or desire.

How this is related at all to gays IDK.

Piggus

People need to keep their expectations in check. He's a much more progressive pope than past popes, but he's still the pope... Think about what that means.

What happened Francis? You used to be such a cool guy. First the freedom of expression has limits thing and now this? I think Francis has officially turned heel. Someone should shop the Pope's head on this.

3d0621d25e2a12df6101743f6bf7b84b.gif

Hari Seldon

No, hes wrong. catholic law doesn't rule all laws. No more than Islam does. Marriage isn't a religious right given by god. Its signed off by some bloke in Vegas.

All this does is promote division of people. 100%, thats literally all it does.

The Pope doesn't give a fuck about what your country chooses to acknowledge as marriage. The Pope is talking about the sacrament of marriage, not what goes on in vegas. A priest won't even give this sacrament to a man and women... who are not catholic.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Is he talking about his own Church? Cos certainly some of its followers do a lot to try and redefine civil marriage in various places and guises.

Don't worry, Frank - no one is trying to redefine Catholic marriage. Now go play with your ball in your own yard.

The Pope doesn't give a fuck about what your country chooses to acknowledge as marriage. The Pope is talking about the sacrament of marriage, not what goes on in vegas. A priest won't even give this sacrament to a man and women... who are not catholic.

Nah. The Church has actively opposed changes to civil marriage law on various fronts, and Francis is clearly referring to that, and the most recent guise of civil marriage change, same sex marriage. They muddle their definition of marriage and the state's in these conversations all the time.

Tesseract

Banned
Popes gonna Pope.

Are you married?

If not, you wouldn't understand. I only married my wife because I couldn't legally marry a dude. I mean, I'm not gay, and you might think that would be the deal-breaker, but it's actually just a small hurdle. The real thing that stopped me marrying a dude was the legality of it.

If it wasn't for that legal safety net protecting me, who knows what could've happened. It's chilling.

will you marry me?

Audioboxer

Because if history and our current situation has taught us anything it's that we are forever battling our extinction due to there not being enough human beings... Amirite?

6 billion, close to extinction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom