• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis suggests gay marriage threatens traditional families

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because if history and our current situation has taught us anything it's that we are forever battling our extinction due to there not being enough human beings... Amirite?

6 billion, close to extinction.

Though the amount of catholics is shrinking in most places outside of Africa and Asia!

Please understand.

Gotchaye

To be clear, the "openness to life" stuff is mostly about contraception. "Redefine the institution of marriage" is definitely about gay marriage though. You don't hear "culture of the ephemeral" as much but I think he's wanting to also include divorce.

Read the actual quote again.

Relativism, Ephemeral-ism, Closed-ness do not necessarily equal gay marriage.

In Catholicism:

Relativism is a Catholic reference to the influence of secularism and "Eastern" philosophies (i.e. cultural and spiritual relativism is viewed negatively because it removes Christian influence from society). Ephemerialism refers to secular culture. "Closed to life" means supporting abortion, using contraceptives, and supporting gay marriage.

It isn't hard to decode.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Talking about ideological colonization in The Philippenes...?

Ironic.

If not, you wouldn't understand. I only married my wife because I couldn't legally marry a dude. I mean, I'm not gay, and you might think that would be the deal-breaker, but it's actually just a small hurdle. The real thing that stopped me marrying a dude was the legality of it.

It's kind of sad that this scenario played out so many times in the past when one of the spouses is gay.

I hope that the Pope will eventually realize that he's advocating for a large group of people to live their lives alone and/or unhappy.

rhandino

Banned
Why are people acting so surprised? He is THE POPE, with only that you should know what is his stance in a lot of sensible topics like gay marriage and the like...

Pope's gonna Pope.

I've had people explain it to me like I'm two, and I STILL don't understand how gay marriage threatens traditional families/marriages. Every.single.last person who has ever explained it to me just sounded remedial as fuck and I could see their minds doing triple axle mental figure skating to try and have it make sense.

It dilutes and challenges the sacrosanctity of traditional marriage as a pillar of society. It's not traditional marriage that is being challenged, it's its dominance.

It's religion we're talking about.

ampere

He is catholic, but I expected better I guess. Too bad.

Why do some people having nontraditional families threaten traditional families anyway? People can still have heterosexual marriages, not like this is banning them.

the current economic model of over inflated home prices and rising cost of living is the real threat to traditional families

so many young people are putting off starting a family due to the rising cost of living

Hari Seldon

He is catholic, but I expected better I guess. Too bad.

Why do some people having nontraditional families threaten traditional families anyway? People can still have heterosexual marriages, not like this is banning them.

I think the threat to families is the "culture of ephemeral" view of marriage. I.e. it is just a temporary arrangement until you get bored or find someone new, children be damned. Single parenting is not the optimal setup in most circumstance, especially when you consider the majority of Catholics don't exactly live in western democracies with quality social welfare support.

riotous

Banned
Straight couples who can't conceive are prayed for and encouraged to adopt... one of the many ignored blatant hypocrisies.

I'm not entirely convinced this comment was all about gay marriage though.. I believe he is talking about divorce as well.

Wasn't it pretty well known that Francis had issues with gay people? I remember something to do with women (maybe female priests?) as well but that may have been someone else.

Anyways, he's still more progressive then the wide majority of the Vatican. Baby steps, I suppose.

rhandino

Banned
??? He talked inside of what their dogma allowed tough since they don't consider being gay sinful, instead is the sexual activity the one that they consider "moral dissorder" and "against the natural law", people who acted amazed at those comments were bound to be disappointed eventually.

For the record, I am not catholic but was raised in a VERY catholic family and received the Communion so I really cannot falter the people who believed that he was going to bring a radical change to their church =/

MartyStu

Still best pope.

You have to be willfully naive to believe that there was not a line. Blasphemy and Marriage are apparently it.

Close enough.

moggio

Banned
The man is leader of one of the biggest dickbag organisations on the planet. Of course he's going to be a bit of a dick.

"...redefine the very institution of marriage, by relativism, by the culture of the ephemeral, by a lack of openness to life”

The pope is attacking science, atheists, and the pro choice crowd too here. That's 3 strikes in one sentence. Pope Francis is dead to me.

It's kind of sad that this scenario played out so many times in the past when one of the spouses is gay.

I hope that the Pope will eventually realize that he's advocating for a large group of people to live their lives alone and/or unhappy.

I think that it might be harder for celibate religious leaders to understand that point of view.

Pete Rock

sounds like he's smoking that mary jane
WhiteSmokeRoof%28600x450%29.jpg
Arch-angels in the fifth dimension are all like "yooo pass it 'pon the left hand side" and this is the message he comes back with? Something got lost in translation. Never trust a man to deliver the word of god. Nuh-uh, not now, not evah. Jah bless.

People acting like the Pope was hunched over with a pencil erasing pages out of the bible. How much do you expect him to upend here in one go?? The fact that he is echoing words of peace and love for one another over the usual horseshit is a huge step up. But it's still Catholicism, these quips are to be expected. Baby steps.

Ahasverus

He has always hated gay marriage snce he was a Bishop, in fact, this is faar softer than the last time when he said "it came from the Devil", he might like gay people, but he hates gay marriage. This was already known. Which is a shame. Baby steps, I suppose.

Pope Reminds World That Yes, He's Catholic.

He wasn't about to upend centuries of dogma on his own, and it should come as no surprise that the church as an institution will continue to carry on its homophobic traditions and message.

He just doesn't want religious people being judgmental and mean about their beliefs. He's not changing their beliefs.

hachi

Banned
Gay Marriage isn't a threat to marriage. Those Men and women wouldn't have gotten married any other way.

To be fair, you're only considering one scenario that you perhaps uncritically take to be paradigmatic: that of someone with a uniformly established, exclusive, lifelong and unchanging sexual attraction towards the same sex. We seem to have plenty of evidence that those individuals exist, particularly men; but there are also, without question, countless cases of same-sex relationships that emerge in a very different manner, one that by no means excludes the possibility of that same individual ending up in a heterosexual relationship. Not only those who claim to be bisexual in attraction, but also those for whom it shifts -- for instance, women who end up in a same-sex relationship after a failed marriage or for other reasons late in life. It's a fairly well-documented phenomenon even in popular publications, which means that it is dishonest to suggest uniformly that all or even the overwhelming majority of those engaged in homosexual relationships were always definitively excluded from having authentically heterosexual relationships or marriages under different circumstances.

That being said, when someone speaks of damage to marriage as an institution, it isn't typically thought of only in those terms of each individual, but more as a matter of the broader shifts in the understanding of marriage, of which homosexual marriage is seen as only one part of an equation rather than a source of anything. That's what the Pope was getting at with the broader language; not a code-word for gay marriage, but a way of encompassing all the related shifts (embrace of easy divorce, increasingly technological and contractual rather than natural approaches to having children, and yes, alternative relationships like gay marriage as well as the increasing acceptance of "open" models) without citing any one thing in alarmist fashion as the sole cause. The concern of the church is that each of these leads to a further step in shifting the public understanding away from what the church sees as the higher meaning of marriage and sexuality, which in the most general terms is the polar opposite of our current sexual language which tends to be centered on self-fulfillment, rights, individual choice, etcetera. It's a deep divide, not one confined to gay marriage.

This is just a matter of interpreting him correctly in terms of the broader disagreements the church has with our contemporary thinking on marriage and sexuality, however you may feel about the truth of those assertions, and of course I don't expect them to be widely affirmed here.

Also They wouldn't have children the traditional way. They are helping by adopting children that have no families to love them.

Not exactly. There is an increasing use of surrogacy, IVF, and other models to produce children for homosexual couples; the notion that it's only a matter of existing kids getting adopted is increasingly out of step with reality as these methods gain more and more traction. And that is where it becomes a particularly big issue for the Catholic church. They fundamentally oppose reducing human reproduction to something controlled by technology, contractual laws, or the market. It's a kind of bio-ethics that is very deep in Catholic belief.

They are against IVF as well which is a rather disgusting opinion.

"Disgusting" is a bit strong, even if one disagrees. To make it more palatable, think of them as akin to extremely strident organic farmers and free-range advocates. The belief at stake is that the human being should only ever be formed naturally by a couple who has made a lifelong vow to each other to be parents, and that anything which intentionally brings a new life into being under the context of planning (under contract, payment, or just arrangement) to separate the child from its two biological parents is a deeply moral problem. This is in reference to IVF when it involves a third party gamete, but of course their position is more comprehensive in its suspicion of technologically altering the process of conception.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
If i should even need to note this, i do not endorse nor excuse the veiled homophobic behavior of the catholic church.

Because if history and our current situation has taught us anything it's that we are forever battling our extinction due to there not being enough human beings... Amirite?

6 billion, close to extinction.

May need a pinch of perspective, here.

The pope is in the Vatican, which is to say, Italy.

Italy has the third-lowest fertility rate of the world (1.4), after South Korea and Japan, and is going through a pretty harsh demographic crisis, with 2x the number of 29-34ers than 0-4ers, and 27% pension tax.
So, yes. At the moment, more reproduction would very much be helpful in italy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom