• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis suggests gay marriage threatens traditional families

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
man, this is like when I realized Obama is a dickhead.

exlojRb.gif

Demon Ice

Banned
He literally honeydicked half of GAF into thinking he was this awesome progressive pope that was gonna bring Catholicism into the 21st century.

Sorry guys. He's a Catholic, and miracles only exist in fairy tales.

Foffy

Banned
Of course the Pope would be all about that egoistic bullshittery that is religion, that always infers people are "less than" by not meeting another's own conflicting projection.

He's promoting poison.

BowieZ

Banned
Can someone explain to me the problem with gay marriage and even if it did somehow stall procreation, the benefit to continuing procreation/overpopulation?

I can't figure this equation tbh

Demon Ice

Banned
BTW, the Popes less than flattering views on gay marriage have been known for quite some time now. Like...before he was Pope.

I think a certain faction of GAF users were very quick to promote how progressive and awesome new guy is and hoped nobody would do too much Googling.

Oh well. Shiny new paint job, same shitty, broken down car.

“These realities are increasingly under attack from powerful forces, which threaten to disfigure God’s plan for creation."

I love how dramatic this sounds. Who would have thought that a gay couple getting married would literally be disfiguring "God's plan for creation". but the kiddy fiddling priests, less so, eh, Mr. Pope?

Foffy

Banned
BTW, the Popes less than flattering views on gay marriage have been known for quite some time now. Like...before he was Pope.

I think a certain faction of GAF users were very quick to promote how progressive and awesome new guy is and hoped nobody would do too much Googling.

Oh well. Shiny new paint job, same shitty, broken down car.

I was more impressed that for many matters he spoke more like a Zen Buddhist seeing through social impositions than an egocentric theologian that always imposes subjective ideas as objective realities.

Seems like that wouldn't last long. Can't be on point all of the time. ;)

The Pope has never said anything outside the official stance of the Catholic Church.

The hang up is that people seem to think all Christians are Protestant and are under the belief that Catholics are just as fundamentalist and creationist as those in the United States. They are not.

I'm along the line of "oh well, at least he's doing most of other stuff right." seriously not surprised but still slightly disappointed. sorry GayGAFs, maybe the next one.

Siegcram

The Pope has never said anything outside the official stance of the Catholic Church.

The hang up is that people seem to think all Christians are Protestant and are under the belief that Catholics are just as fundamentalist and creationist as those in the United States. They are not.
I've yet to speak to a practicing Catholic who is okay with gay marriage or anything close to it.

Amir0x

Banned
It's religion man, they ain't gonna change that until they take out those parts about man lying with man and stoning and shit. Religion is shit, it's not really surprising.

Just earlier today an orphaned former child prostitute in the Philippine's went up to the Pope and started weeping. Through tears she asked him, "Many children are abandoned by their parents. Many children get involved in drugs and prostitution. Why does God allow these things to happen to us? The children are not guilty of anything."

The Pope hugged her, expressed his usual comments about being compassionate to the poor and disenfranchised and all that, and his answer is:

PopeFrancis said:
"She is the only one who has put a question for which there is no answer and she wasn't even able to express it in words but in tears.

The nucleus of your question... almost doesn't have a reply."

Religion doesn't have the answers to shit like this (because the answer is simple and would destroy faith), but they think they have the answer to where you're allowed to stick your dick. Such utility.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Can someone explain to me the problem with gay marriage and even if it did somehow stall procreation, the benefit to continuing procreation/overpopulation?

I can't figure this equation tbh

I think you're underestimating just how easily people can turn gay. Gay marriage opens the floodgates.

A couple get married, invite their friends, their friends tell others what a nice ceremony it was. Those people think "I want a gay wedding, let's be gay!" and so they invite their friends. They upload their wedding to YouTube, one million subscribers then decide to be gay.

If the rate of homosexuality increases exponentially within as little as 5 years everyone will be gay and procreation will be non-existent.

What are they/you wishing for?

I guess some people just got hope from his comments that it could lead to the church leaning toward more progressive stances in the future. A bit naive, but I don't blame people for wanting to hope that could happen. So many homosexuals have suffered due to the stigma that religion has contributed a lot to, after all.

Demon Ice

Banned
This will be relevant until the death of Catholicism

0K3aqjr.jpg

The bar for the Pope is never set high and yet they still manage to disappoint.

Sheroking

This. I also don't get the "idolizing" of popes, especially from non believers. Are you doing it because... what? Why?

The Pope wields a lot of influence among a huge cross-section of catholic people, especially abroad. Him breaking the mold set by literally every pope before him, showing a progressive side by making clear statements that "you shouldn't judge gay people", etc has the potential to reduce Catholic-based homophobia for the younger generations.

Long story short: The Pope being cool helps build a better world. Which is why this is so disappointing.

Sheroking

I've yet to speak to a practicing Catholic who is okay with gay marriage or anything close to it.

There are lots of practicing Catholics who are okay with gay marriage.

The one thing that holds true for ALL of the Abrahamic religions is that, even the most ardent believers only selectively abides by their dogma. They really have no choice since the Torah, Qu'ran and New Testament all contradict themselves wildly.

Amir0x

Banned
A cool hip pro-secular liberal pope who wants to smoke blunts while performing gay marriages.

nah people just will continue to hope for a person who isn't hateful scum toward whole groups of people 'cause their bullshit holy book said so.

"LOVE THE SINNER, NOT THE SIN HO HO HO"

Foffy

Banned
nah people just will continue to hope for a person who isn't hateful scum toward whole groups of people 'cause their bullshit holy book said so.

Isn't the only way that can happen would be....to get rid of the bullshit book? As long as that plays a role, the empirical falsehoods of it are still being imposed in belief. Though the social idea that people can clearly be a "less than" has to be challenged as well in society, as we've inherited that idea from religion for many governments.

Or reboot it! A gritty 21st century retelling of Genesis.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Isn't the only way that can happen would be....to get rid of the bullshit book? As long as that plays a role, the empirical falsehoods of it are still being imposed in belief. Though the social idea that people can clearly be a "less than" has to be challenged as well in society, as we've inherited that idea from religion for many governments.

A GAF member already tried to reboot the Bible:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=861832

... it didn't go so well.

Amir0x

Banned
Isn't the only way that can happen would be....to get rid of the bullshit book? As long as that plays a role, the empirical falsehoods of it are still being imposed in belief.

Oh of course. I was mocking CornBurrito's sarcastic post. Because people hold out hope that the latest Pope won't be hateful scum once again because of hateful shit in the holy book, that people want a liberal pot smoking pope.

No, we just think it's pretty fucking basic human compassion and empathy to not think being gay is wrong and corrupts family life (fuck you pope). If he can't do that, he's not transcending anything - he's just the latest in a long line of assholes who is just less assholish than usual popes.

Few ACTUALLY expect such radical transformations, but they certainly can hope for it. People are just saddened the indication is another eternity of hateful scumbags. And remember: A huge portion of Catholics are OK with gay marriage. So they can transcend the cycle of being an asshole, maybe we should hold the Pope to a higher standard as well.

Siegcram

There are lots of practicing Catholics who are okay with gay marriage.

The one thing that holds true for ALL of the Abrahamic religions is that, even the most devout believers only selectively abides by their dogma. They really have no choice since the Torah, Qu'ran and New Testament all contradict themselves wildly.
"Fuck the gays!" (figuratively) seems to be a fairly popular dogma among all christian or religious denominations.

It is a bit off topic, but I have serious doubts that humans are even capable of "love the sinner, not the sin." Or at the very least I suspect they are incapable of it without a lot of conscious monitoring of their own thoughts. I'd like to see evidence either way, but in my experience the vast majority of people end up hating the person who committed the crime just as much as the crime itself.

Amir0x

Banned
It is a bit off topic, but I have serious doubts that humans are even capable of "love the sinner, not the sin." Or at the very least I suspect they are incapable of it without a lot of conscious monitoring of their own thoughts. I'd like to see evidence either way, but in my experience the vast majority of people end up hating the person who committed the crime just as much as the crime itself.

I find it's very selective.

Like people have no problem loving people who have sex outside of marriage even though that's a "sin." But with certain types of sins, forget about it. The invectives come out in force and they simply repeat the phrase as a meaningless mantra, as if it cures the actual actions they're participating in.

I find it's very selective.

Like people have no problem loving people who have sex outside of marriage even though that's a "sin." But with certain types of sins, forget about it. The invectives come out in force and they simply repeat the phrase as a meaningless mantra, as if it cures the actual actions they're participating in.

I think it is tied to disgust and other such feelings. As you said, you'll find many people can do the "love the sinner, not the sin" thing with people who have premarital sex. But you'll find many people calling for blood when the sin in question is something like mass murder, rape, bestiality, etc... gruesome sins that trigger an almost innate level of rage and disgust in us.

Amir0x

Banned
Today in the continued saga of Pope Francis is totally a dick sometimes:

Pope Francis said:
In Sri Lanka and the Philippines, Francis condemned what he called an "ideological colonization" attacking traditional family values in developing countries.

On the plane, he indirectly criticized rich countries and international organizations he said tried to influence lifestyles and morals of young people in poorer nations, comparing their activity to that of 20th century Nazi and Fascist propagandists.

He told of an education minister he once knew who was offered loans to build schools for the poor, but on condition their libraries stocked a book on gender theory, the questioning of traditional male and female roles. He gave no other details.

"This is ideological colonization. They colonize people with ideas that try to change mentalities or structures," he said.

"But this is not new. This was done by the dictatorships of the last century," he said, citing the Hitler Youth
and Balilla, its Italian equivalent under Fascist dictator Benito Mussolini.

Fuck off Pope. You just compared gender theory to "ideological colonization" and the Hitler youth. Until the next 100 years of shitty popes I guess. Slightly less shitty all the time, hopefully. Pope Francis is like a stepping ladder in the diminished asshole stakes.

lol @ the head of the Catholic Church of all organizations to complain about "ideological colonization"

They basically originated that shit!

pa22word

The only thing I can take away from this thread is that it's obvious 99% of the "best pope" posters didn't know anything about Catholicism at all.

Francis has never reversed the church nor made progressive moves with it. He's been doubling down on the same stuff the church has been putting out for multiple decades if not hundreds of years.

All I can say is everyone flaggergasted that "best pope" said this: y'all some ignorant and oblivious fools, and you really have no one to blame but yourselves for getting worked up all this time over Francis doing nothing but saying the same shit the last two popes have, but with a smile on his face instead of a wagging finger.

Amir0x

Banned
The only thing I can take away from this thread is that it's obvious 99% of the "best pope" posters didn't know anything about Catholicism at all.

Francis has never reversed the church nor made progressive moves with it. He's been doubling down on the same stuff the church has been putting out for multiple decades if not hundreds of years.

All I can say is everyone flaggergasted that "best pope" said this: y'all some ignorant and oblivious fools, and you really have no one to blame but yourselves for getting worked up all this time over Francis doing nothing but saying the same shit the last two popes have, but with a smile on his face instead of a wagging finger.

I never said best Pope but in the grand context of how awful Popes tend to be he is better than most, which is why the distinction "Best Pope" would still be accurate for many.

But he absolutely has made real moves that are an improvement over past popes and definitely is a move from the ultra conservative direction the Church had been going in. In the grand scheme of things they seem minor considering the ideological problems still persisting, but they represent huge shifts especially considering the short time frame they have occurred:

Pope Francis demotes Conservative US Cardinal Burke
Pope removes senior Bishop in Paraguay accused of child abuse
Pope Francis removes Swiss Guard chief
Pope continues De-Ratzingerization
Pope removes "Bishop of Bling."

So he's still a total asshole and religion continues to pollute the world, but it's an improvement... to a slightly less asshole pope than before :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom