• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF OT 14: The Alpha and The Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

"Number 1 Angel" easily Charli's best release since Super Ultra Mixtape. Charli's at her best when it sounds like she's having fun with, which is all over this tape imo. This grabbed me immediately and didn't let go for the ten tracks.

waiT

Charlgod XCX puching a LOT with Number 1 Angel, I don't even have time to google the unknown because Roll With Me is the fucking bop of the YEAR

Edit:
[Intro]
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah (woo)
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

[Verse 1]
We shine when the lights go out
I wanna kiss you in the nightclub
Lips brush right across your mouth
My heart is beating and it won't stop

[Pre-Chorus]
You, you got me feeling a second away
You make me feel like I wanna scream out
Ooh, we got this moment, don't let it slip away
So tell me, now I gotta find out
giphy.gif

[Chorus]
Do you want to roll with me?
Do you want to roll with me? (Say yeah!)
Do you want to roll with me? (Do ya? Do ya?)
giphy.gif

[Chorus: Charli XCX]
Mhmm, I keep it sticky icky like lipgloss
Yeah, you know I'm sugary sweet
Baby boy, gon' rot your teeth like what
(Drip, drip, so slick, that's my lipgloss)
Yeah, you know I'm sugary sweet
Baby boy, gon' rot your teeth like what

[Verse 1: CupcakKe]
When we have sex, f-fuck me like you obsessed
Serve you pussy for your lunch, so let me wear a hairnet (ahh)
Freaky little bitch when I'm out with Charli
Yeah, we keep more eyes on us than the show iCarly (we do)
Bad bitch, make the way you can't get over me
Yo ass a pussy, I’m above it like a ovary (bad bitch)
I'm talkin' everyday, you gonna wanna hit on this
So sticky, Winnie The Pooh ain't got shit on this (nope)
Come get you a sample, lick between the camel
Pussy taste sweet 'cause I ate my pineapple (whoop)
Light a couple candles, prove you could handle
Pussy gooey like yolk before the egg scrambled (mmm)
Never trust a man who wear briefs (briefs)
'Cause he gon' wanna fuck and keep it brief (brief)
Call again when you need somethin' to eat (eat)
So I could open my legs, bon appetit, let's get it

giphy.gif

CupcakKe CAME

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
This is not to say that anyone should expect Sheeran—who is popular at weddings and funerals for a reason—to present a nuanced interpretation of gender politics within his songs (though his fans deserve more than depictions of women as angels or traitors). But more than his weak balladry, it's this disingenuous side that rankles. In the nostalgic vein of Lukas Graham’s “7 Years” and Drake’s “Weston Road Flows,” Sheeran’s “Castle on the Hill” yearns for a childhood idyll. It’s pure sentimentality, another key to how he uses humblebraggadocio and innocence to shore up his moral high ground over shallow girls and unfair beauty standards. On “Eraser,” Sheeran sings, “I’m well aware of certain things that will befall a man like me.” He means booze and drugs, but it’s his inability to reconcile his early underdog status with his titanic popularity that’ll ensnare him. Sheeran wants it both ways: artist and celebrity, nice guy who doesn’t want to alienate his fans with political convictions, anti-consumerist while gagging to dominate pop’s arms race. He’s the guy she told you not to worry about, and he’s wearing your clothes.
Pitchfork 2.8/10

Talent you say?
tumblr_mhxf2bbAmx1rrd1clo1_500.gif

Charli's Mixtape is great.
It'll be amazing if she shoots a video for Lipgloss with Cupcakke.

And if yall talking about Nordic singers, I'll namedrop LEON

FrodoYolo

Banned
Lol what an embarrassing album review. Pitchfork is just trying to get clicks now. Like I am a fan of his, so I know I'm going to rate it higher than others, but a 2.8?? That would imply that almost every single song is garbage, and that's just not the case. Now if they were going to get all "pretentious" and give it a 5.8, I could see that. However a 2.8 is just untrue.

Lol what an embarrassing album review. Pitchfork is just trying to get clicks now. Like I am a fan of his, so I know I'm going to rate it higher than others, but a 2.8?? That would imply that almost every single song is garbage, and that's just not the case. Now if they were going to get all "pretentious" and give it a 5.8, I could see that. However a 2.8 is just untrue.
no, I think a 2.8 is accurate.
1mFZcO8.gif

Create an argument for why that is.
Sure. This not to say that anyone should expect Sheeran—who is popular at weddings and funerals for a reason—to present a nuanced interpretation of gender politics within his songs (though his fans deserve more than depictions of women as angels or traitors). But more than his weak balladry, it's this disingenuous side that rankles. In the nostalgic vein of Lukas Graham’s “7 Years” and Drake’s “Weston Road Flows,” Sheeran’s “Castle on the Hill” yearns for a childhood idyll. It’s pure sentimentality, another key to how he uses humblebraggadocio and innocence to shore up his moral high ground over shallow girls and unfair beauty standards. On “Eraser,” Sheeran sings, “I’m well aware of certain things that will befall a man like me.” He means booze and drugs, but it’s his inability to reconcile his early underdog status with his titanic popularity that’ll ensnare him. Sheeran wants it both ways: artist and celebrity, nice guy who doesn’t want to alienate his fans with political convictions, anti-consumerist while gagging to dominate pop’s arms race. He’s the guy she told you not to worry about, and he’s wearing your clothes.

1mFZcO8.gif

FrodoYolo

Banned
Sure. This not to say that anyone should expect Sheeran—who is popular at weddings and funerals for a reason—to present a nuanced interpretation of gender politics within his songs (though his fans deserve more than depictions of women as angels or traitors). But more than his weak balladry, it's this disingenuous side that rankles. In the nostalgic vein of Lukas Graham’s “7 Years” and Drake’s “Weston Road Flows,” Sheeran’s “Castle on the Hill” yearns for a childhood idyll. It’s pure sentimentality, another key to how he uses humblebraggadocio and innocence to shore up his moral high ground over shallow girls and unfair beauty standards. On “Eraser,” Sheeran sings, “I’m well aware of certain things that will befall a man like me.” He means booze and drugs, but it’s his inability to reconcile his early underdog status with his titanic popularity that’ll ensnare him. Sheeran wants it both ways: artist and celebrity, nice guy who doesn’t want to alienate his fans with political convictions, anti-consumerist while gagging to dominate pop’s arms race. He’s the guy she told you not to worry about, and he’s wearing your clothes.

1mFZcO8.gif
How can someone write so much, while not saying anything.

1mFZcO8.gif

END THE RAT!

rs_500x281-161128142132-MARIAHS-WORLD-MARIAH-CAREY-10.gif

days ago he was boasting about sleeping with TayDolf's squad members and being like 'it just happens blablabla'

Little Mons†er;231815068 said:
END THE RAT!

rs_500x281-161128142132-MARIAHS-WORLD-MARIAH-CAREY-10.gif

days ago he was boasting about sleeping with TayDolf's squad members and being like 'it just happens blablabla'
He's trying to ape's Adele brand of unaffected authenticity, but lacks an ounce of her charm.

honda-fit-waving.gif

hmm i just read that grimes scrapped the album she was working on when go received mixed reception.

i like go, and i'm glad we got art angels (the GOAT), but i wish i could hear that scrapped album.

The Flop

Banned
Like I seriously don't get who her management is but it's weird seeing her get gigs over the group she left

The group she left is about to tour Asia. She's getting gigs b/c she's got a distinct voice.

I'm here for both of them.

I think we'll get a spring Single from Fifth Hews, and a late Summer bop from Camila.

I'm here for all the shadyness of them competing against each other since they don't even talk anymore

Mau ®

hmm i just read that grimes scrapped the album she was working on when go received mixed reception.

i like go, and i'm glad we got art angels (the GOAT), but i wish i could hear that scrapped album.

I think she recently said she's working on finishing some of those songs and put out an Art Angels B-Sides.

Mau ®

Ed Sheeran has revealed Bieber's "Love Yourself" was originally meant for Rihanna whew.

At this point every song ever made is probably made with Rihanna in mind. Power if you ask me.

[Pre-Chorus 2]
I wanna mean something to somebody else
Feel a significance in the real world
It’s not enough to live out a lucky life
(Life, life, life, life, life)

[Chorus]
I'm forever chasing after time
But everybody dies, dies
If I could buy forever at a price
I would buy it twice, twice
But if the Earth ends in fire
And the seas are frozen in time
There'll be just one survivor
The memory that I was yours and you were mine
Everybody dies, dies
Chasing after time, time

[Bridge]
No, I don't want to be afraid, afraid to die, (die, die)
I just wanna be able to say that I have lived my (life, life)
Oh, all these things that humans do
To leave behind a little proof
But the only thing that doesn’t die is love, love, love, love, love
tumblr_oiii43KC7G1vxdet3o1_500.gif

i'm glad I remembered FROOT existed yesterday

This is not to say that anyone should expect Sheeran—who is popular at weddings and funerals for a reason—to present a nuanced interpretation of gender politics within his songs (though his fans deserve more than depictions of women as angels or traitors). But more than his weak balladry, it's this disingenuous side that rankles. In the nostalgic vein of Lukas Graham’s “7 Years” and Drake’s “Weston Road Flows,” Sheeran’s “Castle on the Hill” yearns for a childhood idyll. It’s pure sentimentality, another key to how he uses humblebraggadocio and innocence to shore up his moral high ground over shallow girls and unfair beauty standards. On “Eraser,” Sheeran sings, “I’m well aware of certain things that will befall a man like me.” He means booze and drugs, but it’s his inability to reconcile his early underdog status with his titanic popularity that’ll ensnare him. Sheeran wants it both ways: artist and celebrity, nice guy who doesn’t want to alienate his fans with political convictions, anti-consumerist while gagging to dominate pop’s arms race. He’s the guy she told you not to worry about, and he’s wearing your clothes.

Wonderful!

giphy.gif

Mau ®

I DONT TALK A LOT
TALK A LOT
SO YOU SHOULD LISTEN UP
I MEAN IT WHEN I SAY
I'M NOT AFRAID
IT'S OK

YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU TOO
ILY2
ILY2
ILY2

rhandino

Banned
I mean, I am sure there are members here who weren't even born when Britney Spears blessed us with her holy script "Ooops... I Did it Again"

That's crazy.

I mean, I am sure there are members here who weren't even born when Britney Spears blessed us with her holy script "Ooops... I Did it Again"

That's crazy.
That mediocre follow-up to the instantly iconic Hit Me Baby One More Time that barely clawed its way into the BB top 10, you mean?

OrionX

Not people once again trying to ruin Ed's good name. He's always seemed like a pretty genuine person to me, and he doesn't have to rely on a spectacle to deliver a good performance, which seems to be more and more rare these days.

But maybe I'm just another foolish stan, too blind to see that I'm being manipulated by sentimentality and nostalgia.

IT0peAb.gif

Mau ®

P4K's review is after clicks, obviously. I doubt the record is that bad.

That being said, Ed has proven to be an annoying troll this era. All his interviews are cringy and disingenous.

rhandino

Banned
That mediocre follow-up to the instantly iconic Hit Me Baby One More Time that barely clawed its way into the BB top 10, you mean?

That same song.

I was young and that song was everywhere.

Of course I was more into Crazy than in Ooops!... but it feel like nobody remembers that one T_T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom