• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Danj

I just crafted this game from 7 coal in the steam sale, can I interest anyone here in trading it (I already own it myself)?

Grinchy

Banned
That's what I found too. It's more clever than difficult, which makes you appreciate the design and environments more, IMO.

I would definitely agree with that. I'll solve a puzzle and immediately think about how smart the people who made the game are. There were many really awesome moments in this game, but I do wish there were some challenge rooms or something.

ShaneB

I think this just turned into my GOTY.

I just finished the solo campaign, and very rarely do I marathon game like I just did for this. Granted it's the holidays and I've got the free time to do so, but man what a wonderful ride that just was.

Apdiddy

Just finished the game and I definitely think it's one of the best in 2011, maybe this gen. I had to have a little help online (Youtube videos mainly) on certain parts but most of the time I was able to solve the puzzles.

Although I feel like Wheatley playing this game when revealing that.

Anyone hoped
that the giant turret in the ending/credits would be in a test chamber?
That would have been fun to figure out how to avoid/eliminate.

Just got this game. I maxed out all the settings pretty much, but there doesnt seem to be motion blur or depth of field? I thought this game would look like the commercials?

Just got this game. I maxed out all the settings pretty much, but there doesnt seem to be motion blur or depth of field? I thought this game would look like the commercials?
Motion blur is there when you move at high speed. The majority of the stuff in the trailers isn't in-game but is made using the Source Filmmaker. Stuff like depth of field and per-object motion blur like in the trailers would destroy fps (I'm guessing here) .

epmode

Valve may pile on the effects in their videos but I've always liked how understated everything is in the games themselves. Really subtle and stylish. They don't beat you over the head with HDR and motion blur like other NEXT GEN stuff.

leroidys

MY gf is having trouble getting a PS2 controller to play nice with portal 2, buttons work, but sticks do not any advice?

PS3 controller I'm assuming on PC. You have to enable analag sticks or something like that in the 360 controller emulator. It's been a long time, but it's something like that. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Is anyone looking for a co-op partner? I love Portal 2 but I never had anyone to do the co-op campaign with. I have it on Steam and Xbox.

AAK

Something I wanted to ask. I have a friend who bought the steam version of the game. Can I play co op with him if I only have the PS3 version? Or does it only work if he's using my own steam account?

need to bump this, sorry folks.

a specific situation:

I bought Portal 2 for the PC during Steam Winter sale.

Now I bought the PS3 version because I want to play co-op with my gf.

Here's the situation:

I have a Steam account and a PSN acc.
She only has a PSN acc.

Is it possible for us to play co-op with me playing the game on my PS3 with my gamertag (linked to my Steam profile) while in the same time she plays on the PC with my Steam account? In effect, the "the PS3 me plays with the PC me on seperate copies of Portal 2"...

AFAIK, it's possible since that version on Steam is NOT the redeemable version from the PS3 copy, in effect, I have 2 separate copies of Portal 2, so that means two licenses...?

I hope you can help me out on this one.

No, she doesn't want to play on the PS3 and no I don't want to play on the PS3 with her PSN account. :)

need to bump this, sorry folks.

a specific situation:

I bought Portal 2 for the PC during Steam Winter sale.

Now I bought the PS3 version because I want to play co-op with my gf.

Here's the situation:

I have a Steam account and a PSN acc.
She only has a PSN acc.

Is it possible for us to play co-op with me playing the game on my PS3 with my gamertag (linked to my Steam profile) while in the same time she plays on the PC with my Steam account? In effect, the "the PS3 me plays with the PC me on seperate copies of Portal 2"...

AFAIK, it's possible since that version on Steam is NOT the redeemable version from the PS3 copy, in effect, I have 2 separate copies of Portal 2, so that means two licenses...?

I hope you can help me out on this one.

No, she doesn't want to play on the PS3 and no I don't want to play on the PS3 with her PSN account. :)

If you linked your PSN ID to your Steam ID, you can't select the PSN ID from your PC or vice versa.

I just tried it too just in case. Can't you try it yourself?!

Ostinatto

yesterday i bought Portal 2 two packs for PC

i just finished downloading the game 11GB , i dont wanna donwload the game again for the other pc, can i copy/paste the game folder on my pc to the other pc?

help pls.

yesterday i bought Portal 2 two packs for PC

i just finished downloading the game 11GB , i dont wanna donwload the game again for the other pc, can i copy/paste the game folder on my pc to the other pc?

help pls.
Yes. Copy the steam directory and you're good to go.

Dreweyes

My limited edition Portal shirt goes on sale today! :D

Dress for success.... no..... For SCIENCE! Only $11!

http://www.theyetee.com

fxyHQ.jpg

MMaRsu

Banned
Just finished it tonight, an amazing game and certainly a worthy sequel ( it's much better than the first, althought the first had the surprise factor and it was harder ).

Never used a youtube video ever! I'm pretty proud of myself :).

If anyone wants to do coop on Ps3, let me know.

(ending spoiler )

That ending was sooo funny. That first core man, he actually goes to space! I was laughing my ass off seriously

black_13

Banned
Wow! What an amazing game! When it came out I only went through the first few levels and it felt so similar to the first game that I forgot about it. Thankfully I started playing it this week and the change of settings and story really got me interested again. And the ending is probably one of the most creative ones I've seen.

Valve is just a master. I hope they take even longer for Half Life 3 cause the wait will be worth it for the amount of polish and fine tuning their games has.

Sibylus

Banned
Gentlemen, it has been a year to the day! Thoughts, in retrospect? For me it's almost strange, Portal 2's made the wait for the next Half Life installment that much easier, thanks in large part to its unforgettable atmosphere and world. High time to revisit it.

DTKT

I hate puzzles and I loved Portal 2. Mostly because of the writing and the characters.

I just wish they had removed the elevators between each rooms. Really slowed any momentum and felt really "artificial".

dosh

Gentlemen, it has been a year to the day! Thoughts, in retrospect? For me it's almost strange, Portal 2's made the wait for the next Half Life installment that much easier, thanks in large part to its unforgettable atmosphere and world. High time to revisit it.

It's been a year already? Damn. I remember staying up all night to see the end of the ARG, playing games to reboot GladOS, talking about Portal on the Steam forums, with tons of people raging, etc. And then finally, the countdown coming to an end, and my first steps in what would become my GOTY 2011. Ha, that was fantastic.

Stat!

Honestly, I might get a lot of **** from this but looking back, I don't know if I was pleased or not. (I loved the game but read on)

Portal 2 has the best writing (only game I could say was honestly funny), best voice acting, and some of the best atmosphere. It is one of the best games I've played ever and is incredibly well done.

For me, Portal 1 was nothing more than a tech demo. Aside from GLADos, it was a 3 hour game with more or less repetitive environments and levels. It was given far too much kudos for what was aside from concept, an uninspired affair.

Portal 2, looking back, I only played 20 hours total. This is someone who has all the achievements, went through the full game more or less twice, and did all of the co-op stuff. I've installed a couple custom maps but they lack the charm of the original maps since there is no Wheatley or GLADos. There just isn't much to the game. I wish it could have been a bit longer I guess. 20 hours is a lot for a puzzle game including an entirely seperate co-op but I guess I just look at other games with full multiplayer and feel a tinge of greediness/selfishness by thinking there wasn't a ton of meat to this game aside from the two campaigns.

I know I'm complaining about trivial things but it just irks me that the game was too good and finished too soon for me. I wanted more cause I loved the game so much. I wanted it to continue (forever!).

On the other hand, had they thrown in some tacked on MP mode, I may have felt like it was awful too. This sounds horrible. I realize that. But just my thoughts as I express them.

Sibylus

Banned
Portal 2 was awesome.
Indeed it was. In a slightly related note, I'm pleased at how topical this thread title turned out to be.

I hate puzzles and I loved Portal 2. Mostly because of the writing and the characters.

I just wish they had removed the elevators between each rooms. Really slowed any momentum and felt really "artificial".
Artificial, definitely, but in this case I think it mostly arose from the engine's inability to stream new map content on the fly. If nothing else, it could allow them to spice up those elevator rides with plenty of fresh scenery and keep things continuous without loading screens.

It's been a year already? Damn. I remember staying up all night to see the end of the ARG, playing games to reboot GladOS, talking about Portal on the Steam forums, with tons of people raging, etc. And then finally, the countdown coming to an end, and my first steps in what would become my GOTY 2011. Ha, that was fantastic.
I lost track of how many times I played The Final Countdown waiting for Portal 2 to download and decrypt on Steam.

I know I'm complaining about trivial things but it just irks me that the game was too good and finished too soon for me. I wanted more cause I loved the game so much. I wanted it to continue (forever!).

On the other hand, had they thrown in some tacked on MP mode, I may have felt like it was awful too. This sounds horrible. I realize that. But just my thoughts as I express them.
I know that feeling. I just wanted it go on indefinitely, because I knew that once I finished it, it'd be all downhill from there for the next while. Abstained from an immediate second playthrough for that reason.

AAK

Wait, you can't play co op between your ps3 and your own steam version of the game? I had both my ps3 version and the steam version running and I couldn't figure out a way to play with one another.

That would really suck if you can't :(

Massa

Wait, you can't play co op between your ps3 and your own steam version of the game? I had both my ps3 version and the steam version running and I couldn't figure out a way to play with one another.

That would really suck if you can't :(

I think you'll have to associate a different Steam account on the PS3, a few minutes work.

AAK

Can I change it now? When I originally set it up last year I linked my steam and psn accounts.

And by change do you basically mean make a new steam account and merge that one with the psn account? Thanks in advance.

Is anyone looking for a co-op partner? My IRL friends either don't really game on PC or have traded in their PS3 copies a long time ago. I've already beaten the single-player on console but didn't really get a chance at co-op. My steam ID is electroshockwave if you want to add me.

Is anyone looking for a co-op partner? My IRL friends either don't really game on PC or have traded in their PS3 copies a long time ago. I've already beaten the single-player on console but didn't really get a chance at co-op. My steam ID is electroshockwave if you want to add me.

Me! Add me on steam - Jake Tower

Grinchy

Banned
My friend who was new to the Portal world sit down with me one day and played co-op with me. We then binged for 7hrs until we beat it.

My brother and I played more today. We had NO idea we had actually been playing the extra challenges. So, we did all the extra challenges first and went back through the beginning ones. They seemed so easy in comparison lol

I just borrowed this game from a friend. My BF is really excited to play it, which is kind of weird. I read that this has a separate Co-Op Campaign.

Do you recommend start playing on Co-op or should we try the single player campaign first?

Top Bottom