• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Willeth

bobs99 ... said:
I mean the VERY last co op chamber seemed to make my computer play the game at literally 15 frames per second lol. I think it was because the play area was so large with so much to load up. Most of the other test chambers are a lot smaller and more focused.

Does the Peer Review DLC have anything like the last huge chamber from the co op? If it does im tempted to leave it until I can get more RAM. If not I would rather play it sooner than later.
There is a large chamber that uses one type of gel, but it's nowhere near as taxing performance-wise as the final chamber of disc co-op.

Dipswitch

Just finished the SP campaign today. Renewed my faith in gaming a little bit - loads of memorable scenes. Even impressed me visually and ran like a champ. Constant loading is something they have to sort out with the source engine though - got old 10 minutes into the game.

Now to finds someone to play co-op with......

Nelo Ice

Banned
Finally beat this game and damn valve is amazing. Was engrossing the whole way through and glados became even more awesome. Now I need to play through co-op and get the final hours whenever its on sale.

Just beat this game for the first time about 5 minutes ago. It was so good that I honestly might start it again tomorrow :p I want to play through it again already.

Sibylus

Banned
Anyone else hear about that infographic-style editor and map browser Valve is cooking up for Portal 2 maps? Sounds like an interesting way to provide more accessible custom content to the community.

ConvenientBox said:
Am I stupid or I can't find the peer review DLC?

Just passed the game last night and loved every second of it :)
Grab a partner and fire up coop, the entrance will be in the Hub.

Blog on official site has been updated with pictures of the 2012 Portal 2 Puzzle Creator.
http://www.thinkwithportals.com/blog.php?id=6632&p=1

map_editor_01.jpg

map_editor_02.jpg

Not AT ALL what I was expecting it to look like, it looks super cool though if it just converts that into a map. Awesome

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just finished the game. Wanted to see connections to half life, but it was an incredible game

It's not much, but if you explore a little bit while in one of the small office areas,
you soon will stumble upon the dry dock for the Borealis

GC|Simon

I bought the durin Steam autumn sales 2011 (so 4 days ago) and just finished the singeplayer mode. First of all: Great game. Very intelligent design and gameplay, good story, nice atmosphere.

Though, imo it is not a contender for GOTY 2011. It is a great game. But something is missing. But it is well worth a purchase. Need to finish the coop mode soon.

Thrakier

Damn, this game is amazing. Wonderful in every way so far. I have an issue with the sound though. From time to time the last sentence or the alst few words are skipped. Any fix for that?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Finished this game the other day for the first time. Awesome, awesome game. My second favorite game of the year after Arkham City. The voice acting and personality of this game is unmatched, Valve really does have some talented writers.

Now I need to get started on the co-op levels. I play on the 360 if anyone wants to join me at some point, GT: Dance Inferno

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I just wanted to say: Portal2 was absolutely one of the best highlights of the entire year for me. Not just in my gaming life or my nerd life, but of life in general. The amazing high this game brought me is still being felt. I cannot believe how effective this game was on me. It was everything I needed to reaffirm myself as a gamer. It brought me to the edge, it made me weak. Through sheer spectacle and craft Portal2 brought me to that lovely but vulnerable state of awe you so rarely experience. Cheers, Valve.

Paertan

My Portal 2 experience is one of my top experiences ever. I was as my friends house with my three best friends.
We were gonna watch a movie or something but I started Portal 2 while they were eating. A couple of hours later we had finished the entire games. We were in tears from laughter sometimes.
It´s like watching a funny movie, you don´t really laugh as much when you are alone, well I don´t.
Sure I had the controller the entire time but actually controlling the game felt like a small part.

Best evening I can remember. Thank you Valve

Thrakier

Fixed it by changing the Steam UI language to english. Either that or multicore rendering deactivated did it. Whatever.

Finished it today. One of the best games I've ever played. Immersive, clever, spectacular, different, satisfying, funny. And even the GFX are top notch, at least regarding the art.

Jaeyden

Absolutely one of the best games ever made. Is number 2 on my GOTY list (Batman first) and only because of the excessive loading. I will play this game over and over, it's just so fun. Stephen Merchant never gets old :)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I finally played through this and finished it a few days ago.
Wow, I guess I was expecting too much from this game. I loved Portal 1 because I thought the puzzles were really clever.

This game was exactly the same. I thought maybe it was just the intro, that it had to show you how to play again or something and would open up later, but... not really.
I had to force myself to finally finish the game in the last few bits.

Oh well.
Probably would have been pretty amazing to me if Portal 1 didn't already exist.
Merchant was good, liked hearing him.

Thrakier

I finally played through this and finished it a few days ago.
Wow, I guess I was expecting too much from this game. I loved Portal 1 because I thought the puzzles were really clever.

This game was exactly the same. I thought maybe it was just the intro, that it had to show you how to play again or something and would open up later, but... not really.
I had to force myself to finally finish the game in the last few bits.

Oh well.
Probably would have been pretty amazing to me if Portal 1 didn't already exist.
Merchant was good, liked hearing him.

Portal 2 was imo actually way more immersive. I really wanted to keep going to find out how the story is progressing.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Portal 2 was imo actually way more immersive. I really wanted to keep going to find out how the story is progressing.
That's the only reason I kept playing, it was just the gameplay that soured me as I felt I was doing the same puzzles from the original game for the first half of the game.

The colored gel didn't add as much as I had hoped.
Also the story/action sequences would have nicer if there wasn't so much loading and breaking of the action. Is it that way on PC as well?

Thrakier

That's the only reason I kept playing, it was just the gameplay that soured me as I felt I was doing the same puzzles from the original game for the first half of the game.

The colored gel didn't add as much as I had hoped.
Also the story/action sequences would have nicer if there wasn't so much loading and breaking of the action. Is it that way on PC as well?

TBH, I don't remember that much of Portal 2, so that wasn't a problem for me I guess.

ShaneB

Know I'm late to the party, but I just started playing this since buying it on the Holiday Sale.

Loving it so far, and it can't be stated enough of hilarious Wheatley is. Just terrific writing and wonderful delivery of those lines.

Looking back on Portal 2 (my #1 for GOTY) I appreciated the story and characters much more than the actual puzzles. It seems like the folks who really really loved it were in the same boat as me.

Top Bottom