• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
It's a better guess than I could muster up at the moment, but that really sounds unappealing and not fun to me.

Plus, you'd just have people memorizing YouTube videos showing 1.2 second solutions to each room.

I just recently purchased this fabulous game, and I'd love to get in some quality co-op time, if anyone here is still active on the PS3 version. PM my inbox on here if you'd like to play.

StuBurns

Banned
silentcapybara said:
I just recently purchased this fabulous game, and I'd love to get in some quality co-op time, if anyone here is still active on the PS3 version. PM my inbox on here if you'd like to play.
You can play with Steam people too.

Nessus said:
I really, really think they should make a race mode. 4 players, 2 teams.

The maps would be a known quantity; the goal wouldn't be to solve puzzles, but to speed run through the map as a team in a race against other players.

You'd be able to see the other team through glass, like at the beginning of the co-op campaign, but not interact with them. Could also have certain parts of the race track projected on a huge jumbo tron screen.

You could either give both players portal guns, or, if you wanted to go the extra mile, re-introduce the paint gun, exclusive to this mode. Players would have to co-operate extensively to navigate the track.

If you really wanted to get crazy you could even re-introduce the green paint and allow for walking on walls.

Beyond that, you could even make the tracks partially randomly-generated, constructed out of basic components in different orders, sorta like F-Zero X on N64.

Something like that could have near endless replayability.

Wait wait. Paint gun? Green paint? What have I MISSED?

Pakkidis

Just completed this incredible game. LOVED every second of it. Pretty much played all Saturday. I do have a few personal nitpicks of my own.

1) The game started a bit slow, I understand designers wanted to introduce concepts slowly but some of the early chambers were not needed.

2) I felt the game was much easier than the first game for some reason. Nothing in the game really tested me, their was only one chamber that gave me a problem. I think once you get use to the portal mechanics it becomes pretty obvious how to solve some the puzzles.

3) I wanted more chambers and less catwalk puzzles.

4) Cave Johnson > Glados + Wheatly. I felt Glados and Wheatly got a bit stale and some of the jokes felt flat to me. Cave Johnson however was awesome.

Overall amazing game, their really isn't much more I can add. Loved it. The end.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
CarbonatedFalcon said:
In Tag, the game that the paint mechanic is based on, there was a green paint that altered gravity. It was too disorienting for playtesters apparently and was removed.

silentcapybara said:
I have no steam friends :/
Be my friend! I still have to beat the coop. I'm Hawkian on Steam. I work crazy hours but if you ever catch me on and want to play, let me know.

Nessus

CarbonatedFalcon said:

The original game that Portal 2's paint mechanics were based on was a student project called Tag: The Power Of Paint.

In that game there was a paint gun with 3 different kinds of paint, red, blue, and green, two of which made it into Portal 2 (repulsion gel and propulsion gel).

They changed the corresponding colours around, but Tag had a third kind of paint that let you walk up walls.

Early builds of Portal 2 included the paint gun, but it was removed as it took the focus away from portals. By having the player instead direct paint through portals they tied the concepts together more organically. Then they added the white paint and gave it properties intimately tied to portals.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dakota47 said:
Three more days of summer ...

Meanwhile, at Valve:

cfUHb.jpg

noah111

Still Alive
Just beat this last night on my MBP, took me two sittings and I loved every second of it. I know i'm late but shit, what I beautiful game, the ending was wonderful.

As someone who beat Portal 1 more times than I can count, I plan on doing the same here (developer commentaries too). Question though, can I play co-op offline? Just LAN or splitscreen?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ether Education License is the name of the DLC, or Valve is hoping to sell the games to schools, since there is an entry for "Portal 2 - Education License Retail"

Medalion said:
What's going on in here?

Today is the day they release the DLC. They said "Summer" and Summer officially ends today. Because they haven't revised that time frame, that means it is released today. :)

Unless of course they could have meant Summer of *next* year....

Evershade

Biggest problem I have with portal is that once I've solved a map, I'll never touch it again because I know the solution. This game could really benefit from an easy to use map editor and map store front.

Maybe split the types of maps into:

simple - created using ingame tools similar to the Timesplitters mapmaker, only using assets that Valve provide.

complex - which can have custom assets, made using the Source SDK, then uploaded to the portal map store.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
cooljeanius said:
So the equinox has come and passed... where's my DLC, Valve?
The DLC has been finished, they're just putting final touches on the ARG to tease/reveal/release it.

If you solo speed run the co-op campaign, there's a secret rat man radio message right now.

Players who have all fifty-one achievements will get the DLC early.

Better point out the obvious that this is fake before anybody cries foul.

Sibylus

Banned
Evershade said:
Biggest problem I have with portal is that once I've solved a map, I'll never touch it again because I know the solution. This game could really benefit from an easy to use map editor and map store front.

Maybe split the types of maps into:

simple - created using ingame tools similar to the Timesplitters mapmaker, only using assets that Valve provide.

complex - which can have custom assets, made using the Source SDK, then uploaded to the portal map store.
Hammer fits the bill as map editors go (learning curve isn't too crazy), but an in-game map/mod browser would definitely be neat. Civ V's Mod Buddy tool is rather similar and handy.

HeySeuss

Recently picked this up on sale, but haven't played it too much now that RE4 is out. My question is this, is the 10-15 second loading elevator sequence between each puzzle through the entire game? Because it's extremely annoying.

Bigfoot

Shick Brithouse said:
Recently picked this up on sale, but haven't played it too much now that RE4 is out. My question is this, is the 10-15 second loading elevator sequence between each puzzle through the entire game? Because it's extremely annoying.

Yes and no. The levels take longer as you go further so the loading is less frequent. I don't remember any 15 second loading... it usually was short enough (<10) so it didn't bother me but I played on the PS3. I haven't tried on the PC yet.

Top Bottom