• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

jambo

How much?

They're $199 in Australia, but I think they were about $150 in the US.

There's a switch above the trigger to turn it between orange and blue.

Glows on top, on the tube and out the barrel at the front.

Each colour has 3 unique portal sound effects when you pull the trigger.

It's a lot lighter than I was expecting, but totally awesome!

JackEtc

I also got one a week or so ago, and can confirm that they are totally awesome.

xI6azl.jpg

rAwwyl.jpg

diuKAl.jpg

Sibylus

Banned
The coop campaign doesn't dovetail a huge amount with the singleplayer campaign, but the SP comes first (and alludes in a small way to the coop before it happens).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Is there any indication of when custom maps will be available on PS3?

Not a firm release date yet but I don't think it's gonna take too long since the Move implementation is basically done and the levels are the same as the PC version.

I think it's just a matter of releasing it at the right time (after Summer?) and also of figuring out how to put Portal 2 back in the hands of those who might have sold it by now.

Between the new feature added to the Testing Initiative pack and the 75% off coupons going around, I thought it might be time to tackle the co-op campaigns if anyone would like to join me.

Dakota47

Between the new feature added to the Testing Initiative pack and the 75% off coupons going around, I thought it might be time to tackle the co-op campaigns if anyone would like to join me.

Make sure you get to play with someone who hasn't done them yet either, adds a lot to the fun.

So I was browsing some Portal 2 videos on youtube and saw people posting a theory as to what happened at the end of the game:

Chell died at the end of Portal 2. The turrets shot her and she died instantly without noticing the turrets shooting her, since it happened so fast.
According to Greek Mythology. Heaven is a cornfield. As you rise to heaven, you are accompanied by your friend and hear calming music.
The turrets break into song. Then you get shoved out of a shed into a field of wheat, accompanied by your only friend, the Companion Cube.

Where did people get the idea that a cornfield represents heaven in Greek Mythology?

Doomshine

So... are Portal 2 PS3 platinum copies not supposed to contain a code for the PC version?

I got it brand new and it's kind of shitty that they advertise the PC version on the box and in the manual but don't actually include the code.

distrbnce

Banned
So, anyone trying out the Move patch? When I calibrate the camera keeps wanting to look up when I'm pointing straight ahead... Erg, not as painless as CS:GO. Waiting for TTP to chime in with recommendations too!

And this could probably be a new thread?

Edit: so frustrating! I keep trying to compensate by aiming high in the calibration but it seems to have no effect. It makes me think they're just basing it on how level (horizontally) the move is. Which doesn't seem to be compatible with my slightly higher than me tv.

distrbnce

Banned
No one willing to talk about this little game anymore?

I found that standing up while using move worked pretty well. Holding the Move horizontal to the ground = looking straight ahead in the game. This works fine while standing, but while sitting, you tend to want to point the move up a little bit (mostly because when you're sitting you just kinda lean back like that)

Perhaps different kinds of chairs will make this less of an issue for different people. I just wish you could offset the "level" position a little bit.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm stuck in Chapter 4. I'm at a hard-light bridge with a turret and one of those "hit the three beams" doors. For the life of me, I can't make a portal to catch the two "splitter" laser boxes that are crashing into each other. What the fuck am I missing in this room? I don't see very many portal placing places.

Vlad

I'm stuck in Chapter 4. I'm at a hard-light bridge with a turret and one of those "hit the three beams" doors. For the life of me, I can't make a portal to catch the two "splitter" laser boxes that are crashing into each other. What the fuck am I missing in this room? I don't see very many portal placing places.

If I'm remembering that room correctly, you
use portals to redirect the hard-light bridge so that it gets in the way of the flying boxes.

TheSeks

If I'm remembering that room correctly, you
use portals to redirect the hard-light bridge so that it gets in the way of the flying boxes.

Yeah, that's what I'm assuming, but I can't find a spot to put that in. :/

Finished co-op mode finally. Some of those later puzzles are tough. Found myself wishing there was some way to communicate "I've got no fucking idea" to my partner.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Could anyone with the hug gesture add me on PSN and give me a hug? Just need one more to get that trophy.

PSN: Liquidus_Ocelot

I'll be online until 8:30pm EST.

TheSeks

Could anyone with the hug gesture add me on PSN and give me a hug? Just need one more to get that trophy.

PSN: Liquidus_Ocelot

I'll be online until 8:30pm EST.

I think I need one more as well, I can help you tomorrow morning if that's okay.

Anyway, finished the singleplayer. And it was amazing but...
wouldn't portaling onto the surface of the moon kill Chell? Since Space is a Vacuum and her being in there while holding onto Whitley even for 30 seconds would have all her blood and stuff coming from her eyeballs?
I don't think Valve thought that plan through very carefully...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
No one willing to talk about this little game anymore?

I found that standing up while using move worked pretty well. Holding the Move horizontal to the ground = looking straight ahead in the game. This works fine while standing, but while sitting, you tend to want to point the move up a little bit (mostly because when you're sitting you just kinda lean back like that)

Perhaps different kinds of chairs will make this less of an issue for different people. I just wish you could offset the "level" position a little bit.

I have notified the devs about this problem suggesting exactly what you suggest (a vertical "offset" option). Hopefully they will patch it.

I personally have no issues with it since my TV is at chest level, but I generally don't "think" about aiming at the screen with Move games. I focus on the cursor and tilt the Move with an "absolute orientation" mindset, if you get what I mean. This is unless aiming at the center equals aiming at the PS Eye camera. That's something I can't stand.

Oh, by the way, for those interested/curious, I've published my walkthrough of the whole Portal In Motion DLC.

You can find it here:

TheSeks

Anybody still need the PS3 achievements? I think I need one or two more friend-list hugs, playing with someone that hasn't played before, and a few chamber-specific achievements. D:

I think I need one more as well, I can help you tomorrow morning if that's okay.

Anyway, finished the singleplayer. And it was amazing but...
wouldn't portaling onto the surface of the moon kill Chell? Since Space is a Vacuum and her being in there while holding onto Whitley even for 30 seconds would have all her blood and stuff coming from her eyeballs?
I don't think Valve thought that plan through very carefully...

Nope. Acording to NASA you are able to survive for about a minute in vacuum.

DonMigs85

The game suddenly refuses to load - after the splash screen it automatically returns to the desktop and quits. Last thing I did was update to the AMD Catalyst 13.11 Beta drivers, but even after rolling back the game still wont start. Everything else runs fine.
EDIT: Come to think of it I don't think I tried playing this game ever since updating to Windows 8.1, maybe that's the cause?

Anyone wants to help a console peasant out?

I got this game on PS3 to play the co-op with a friend on PC. I have a Steam account (on which I bought and played the first Half-Life and nothing else) and was under the impression I would be allowed to link this Steam account to my PSN account, but it doesn't seem to be working.

According to instructions from Valve when I hit select to bring up the steam overlay, the game should ask me whether I want to sing in on an existing account or create a new one. However, I am not getting this question. Instead, I can only select "sign in to Steam to get started". This is what I'm looking at on the screen:

w1LWury.jpg

When I select that, the game doesn't ask me what account I'm trying to sign into. Instead it just tries signing me into into Steam, without me having specified what account I'm trying to sign in for, and naturally fails. I don't even get an error message. The game is just perpetually stuck on a "signing in" screen until I cancel out. This is what it looks like:

V8Lk066.jpg

I have tried restarting the game and restarting the console to no avail. Of course, I ensure I'm signed into PSN first.

Has anyone had the same problem and knows how to solve it? I'm guessing no? If so, would anyone know whom I should contact for support? It's a bit of a clusterfuck with so many services interacting with each other, so I don't know whether I should contact Steam or Sony. I'm guessing Steam? If so, how do I go about doing that? I'm not used to using Steam so I have no clue myself.

Sorry for necrobump and stupid questions :/

Edit: seems others are having the same issues

Edit2: Well, I opened a ticket with Steam Support. Hopefully, they can help me out.

Have been enjoying the single player in the meantime. Dat Wheatley heel turn

Top Bottom