• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Angry Fork

I still haven't touched the co-op because I have no friends and hate playing with strangers online who always want to rush everything -_-. Hopefully single player DLC comes soon.

It's pretty good. Took about 2-3 hours to beat in one go with a friend.

I'm kinda disappointed at the implementation of challenge mode on the single player side. There's no medals, just leaderboards, which kinda kills my desire to play it. And there doesn't seem to be any new cheeves.

Salsa

OldJadedGamer said:
Is this it? Challenge rooms?

9 co-op challenge rooms, and a new challenge mode for the levels that were already there.

but your right! not paying money for this crap!

..oh wait

Nessus

butter_stick said:
It's pretty good. Took about 2-3 hours to beat in one go with a friend.

I'm kinda disappointed at the implementation of challenge mode on the single player side. There's no medals, just leaderboards, which kinda kills my desire to play it. And there doesn't seem to be any new cheeves.

Yeah, I was hoping there would be Advanced test chambers like the first game, reusing the same levels but making them harder.

SalsaShark said:
9 co-op challenge rooms, and a new challenge mode for the levels that were already there.

but your right! not paying money for this crap!

..oh wait

I have 1000/1000 already and have played through the game three times. I haven't sold the game as I was waiting for DLC. it seems like a waste of their time and I would have gladly paid money for actual new content.

Salsa

OldJadedGamer said:
I have 1000/1000 already and have played through the game three times. I haven't sold the game as I was waiting for DLC. it seems like a waste of their time and I would have gladly paid money for actual new content.

Its not the last batch of DLC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Nessus said:
Yeah, I was hoping there would be Advanced test chambers like the first game, reusing the same levels but making them harder.

They'll probably be in the second batch of DLC. There are a lot of levels to redesign, relative to the original.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Oh, so the challenge rooms are the DLC? And here I thought something was wrong, lol. (I had it redownload the entirety of Portal 2, so I guess it was included in the download).

masterkajo

Barrel Cannon said:
Just bought it again since it's half price. Now I can play co-op at my own home :) with two PCs.
<-- same. I would buy it over and over again if I could experience the Single Player fresh each time. Sooo good.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Man, the time trails are an insane amount of fun. I've been going back and forth with a friend on Cube Momentum.

I awoke this morning and found he had beaten my time of 24 seconds with 22.41.

Just did it in 21.43. It feels really good.

StuBurns

Banned
Played thru the new stuff with a mate earlier, really awesome, loved the ending. Very pleased with the DLC despite the crappy challange mode.

Can't wait for the second DLC, I'm hoping it's single player and leads into a possible HL3.

Nabs

StuBurns said:
Played thru the new stuff with a mate earlier, really awesome, loved the ending. Very pleased with the DLC despite the crappy challange mode.

Can't wait for the second DLC, I'm hoping it's single player and leads into a possible HL3.

emperorknight17thlordndep.gif

Lumine

I bought this during the sale, loving it so far. I'm in chapter 5, but I'm stuck. It's the
big room with the gas tank. Wheatley is mumbling on about hacking some computer in the background.
No idea what to do haha. I must be missing something. Anyone want to give me a hint? I don't want to spoil anything.

masterkajo

Just completed the Peer Review DLC. AWESOME! as expected.

But Steam just downloaded another update (65,9MB). Anyone know what it does?

Lumine

mrfolego said:
Go upstairs and notice the moving panels across the big room

Yeah I noticed those before but it wouldn't let me a shoot a portal at them. I could now though so it must've been a bug.

Willeth

StuBurns said:
I was thinking that all through Peer Review.

From the moment she started talking about the mysterious woman, I was cycling through my brain, thinking is it Chell, Alyx, Mossman?

Oh, no. It's that bird. Teases.

Oh, and there will definitely be more co-op DLCs. The room that leads into Art Therapy is built for it.

Nessus

StuBurns said:

It won't.

The games take place in entirely different time frames (on the order of hundreds or thousands of years apart) for a reason.

Even if they were to try to include some sort of easter egg I highly doubt it'd be in a <2 hour long DLC pack.

KScorp

Nessus said:
It won't.
You never know. Valve is going to make whatever seems like the most fun, if they manage to work Portal into HL or vice versa I doubt it would be bad. They haven't specified an exact time that this has taken place after all, and Valve loves leaving their options open. (Even if things took place in entirely different dimensions they'd find some way to work it together if they really wanted to.)

So, I doubt Portal 2 will ever have a solid connection to HL, but you can't count anything out.

Since this thread is more alive than the spoiler thread... I just finished the game today after starting it on Friday. Fantastic experience. May be the nostalgia talking but I think Portal 1 did the puzzle aspects better, as I really didnt like that most of Portal 2's puzzles could be inferred from the fact that portable surfaces were very often places in positions to help guide jumps and so on. I loved the rest of the experience aswell, and loved how they tied it all together. I dont want to risk spoiling anyone but it was a 10/10 game.

I will say though that watching this before completing it: (The short fan made film)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4drucg1A6Xk&ob=av3e

Kind of coloured my experience. Game spoilers:
That grassy field you come to at the end of the game really feels like the artificial rooftop the person comes to at the end of that video. Would suck so much if Portal 3 started with the same way that video ended and the whole portal 1+2 experience was a massive inception inducing scripted test.

When I say 'suck', it could be pretty awesome if Valve pull it off but I would rather they didn't retroactively ruin Portal 1 and 2 by making them essentially a giant test lol. I did love the idea in the fan film though.

StuBurns

Banned
KScorp said:
You never know. Valve is going to make whatever seems like the most fun, if they manage to work Portal into HL or vice versa I doubt it would be bad. They haven't specified an exact time that this has taken place after all, and Valve loves leaving their options open. (Even if things took place in entirely different dimensions they'd find some way to work it together if they really wanted to.)

So, I doubt Portal 2 will ever have a solid connection to HL, but you can't count anything out.
I thought it was pretty cool that in Peer Review Glados jokes about how long it's been since the other levels.

Does anyone know who wrote this DLC actually?

Sibylus

Banned
That theory has been circulating for a while, ever since release more or less, due to
that concept art of what appeared to be chickens running through miniature models of offices and the like (or just giant chickens), and what appeared to be grassy, rural areas contained within test chambers.

Willeth

KScorp said:

Portal 2 already has a solid connection to Half-Life. The Borealis, the ship seen in the video at the end of Episode 2, is an Aperture ship that was launched from the mines, and you can access the dock in Portal 2.

The timeline thing can easily be circumvented if they want to. Gordon magically travelled through time through some kind of portal from the end of HL1 to the start of 2, and suddenly it's years later, the planet's enslaved, everyone comments on how he hasn't aged etc. The obstacles they've built for themselves can easily be torn down.

I doubt they will ever truly marry the two together, although there may be references in general to competing portal technology and so forth.

KScorp

Willeth said:
I doubt they will ever truly marry the two together, although there may be references in general to competing portal technology and so forth.
Yep. I was aware of the Borealis but all that tells us is that they both take place in the same universe. I'm not so secretly hoping that either game references events from the other.

Although I still want Chell and Gordon to meet. :(

Dakota47

rezuth said:
How is there not more talk about the DLC? It was awesome, the whole final sequence had me filled with tears of joy :)

People don't want to get their hopes up I guess. I bet it will be a while until we see some new Portal content.

How is the new course? My computer is pretty sluggish and while I managed to play through Portal 2 campaign and co op it really was pushing it, and that was with all the settings on low. :/ Is the new co op going to put more pressure on my machine or will it be about the same as the old levels?

Willeth

bobs99 ... said:
How is the new course? My computer is pretty sluggish and while I managed to play through Portal 2 campaign and co op it really was pushing it, and that was with all the settings on low. :/ Is the new co op going to put more pressure on my machine or will it be about the same as the old levels?
I don't see why it would be any different. There's not really any nutso draw distance in any of them and all the mechanics are the same as in single-player. If you got through the campaign you'll get through this no issue.

Willeth said:
I don't see why it would be any different. There's not really any nutso draw distance in any of them and all the mechanics are the same as in single-player. If you got through the campaign you'll get through this no issue.

I mean the VERY last co op chamber seemed to make my computer play the game at literally 15 frames per second lol. I think it was because the play area was so large with so much to load up. Most of the other test chambers are a lot smaller and more focused.

Does the Peer Review DLC have anything like the last huge chamber from the co op? If it does im tempted to leave it until I can get more RAM. If not I would rather play it sooner than later.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I was replaying the game today, and... (Chapter 9 spoilers:)

I was in the area where you have to spill the Repulsion Gel on the turrets when one turret, entirely coated in the gel, came bouncing across and got stuck in the room I was in. It was bouncing all over the room for awhile, when finally it bounced onto the faith plate and launched itself out again.

Top Bottom