• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Portions of) Yakuza 3 coming to the West - March 2010

ShadiWulf said:
Time for GAF to make a awesome boxart that looks like the JP one

heres a high detailed image off the SEGA America FTP

http://i48.tinypic.com/28tyq68.jpg

I get a feeling that horrible one is real, it matches the horrible Yakuza forum color scheme
Is there a wallpaper in any form of this picture? If not, can someone on GAF slap one together? If we can make a cover that good surely someone out there can make a wallpaper, preferably 1920x1080 :D

Miburou

I'm trying to get my friend to buy this game. Funnily enough he and another friend are more interested in Kenzan than this game.

I bought Yakuza 2 but have yet to unwrap it, so I doubt I'll buy this one (I have bought and finished all 4 RgG games, though).

iceatcs

I should be doing hw said:
Is there a wallpaper in any form of this picture? If not, can someone on GAF slap one together? If we can make a cover that good surely someone out there can make a wallpaper, preferably 1920x1080 :D
Only so far I can find the wide version without cut off on the back of head, but still small I think for 720p

KTallguy

Banned
You need to show him beating the shit out of someone on the cover, or standing over someone who he just beat the shit out of. Or this game will not sell in the US (Europe is a bit different, perhaps). Oh and you can't have a cigarette on the cover of a game anymore, can you? At least, the ESRB would throw a fit.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
OMFG, that render :lol

SEGA just wants to complain about why it's not selling again, there is no other reason to design such a horrible boxart

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
klee123 said:
Yuk if true

140945e.jpg

Why not the Japanese art?

LOL

*hug his Japanese version cover*

KTallguy said:
You need to show him beating the shit out of someone on the cover, or standing over someone who he just beat the shit out of. Or this game will not sell in the US (Europe is a bit different, perhaps). Oh and you can't have a cigarette on the cover of a game anymore, can you? At least, the ESRB would throw a fit.

yeah for NA market , SEGA need to DudeBro it , put Kazuma Kicking that American dude in the face with Japanese babes in the background, artistic cover ( yakuza tattoos like the first two games ) or characters poses ( like the RGG3 cover ) will not do it , must dudebro it.

Danielsan

What the hell. Did they ask the intern's 12 year old brother to make the cover art for the US version? :lol
I hope no one got paid for that shit.
GAF could probably cook something up even more badass than the Japanese cover if given the resources.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Xater said:
That's some mighty horrible boxart right there. Let's hope they leave the european version alone....

SEGA Europe better use this for the cover

6zc2s3.jpg

I need my half naked sweaty Kiryu chan again.

klee123 said:
Yuk if true

140945e.jpg

Why not the Japanese art?
Because he's smoking. You wouldn't be able to have the Japanese cover on a viewable shelf in Canada, and you just know there's an annoying undersexed parent somewhere in America that would take issue with it.

It's really fun watching people who were begging, pleading, screaming, and squealing for SEGA to release this in English slowly "shitty excuse" their way out of buying it, though.

gogogow

Showing the cigarette might be a problem, but like some people already said, it can be easily removed with photoshop. Yakuza 1 & 2 PAL/US versions had good covers.
This one is just pathetic, with zero effort. Maybe Sega should do a double sided cover, the one with the Japanese version inside.

gogogow said:
Showing the cigarette might be a problem, but like some people already said, it can be easily removed with photoshop. Yakuza 1 & 2 PAL/US versions had good covers.
This one is just pathetic, with zero effort. Maybe Sega should do a double sided cover, the one with the Japanese version inside.
Yakuza 2's cover was a fucking joke. They just took the original cover, flicked a black and white filter on it, and zoomed in. The Japanese cover kicked the shit out of it.

jett

D-Member
Truthfully I find all of the Yakuza/RGG covers to be pretty meh. Except the first one, which was not too bad.

2487373304094605.JPG

gogogow

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yakuza 2's cover was a fucking joke. They just took the original cover, flicked a black and white filter on it, and zoomed in. The Japanese cover kicked the shit out of it.
It wasn't, they are different, no matter how similar they might look.

Yakuza-sega.jpg

334953ps_500h.jpg

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Segata Sanshiro said:

they cropped Kazuma from RGG2 ( Japanese version ) cover for the Yakuza 2 ( US version ) one.

Y2 Japanese
935326_79501_front.jpg

Y2 US
51T-w8FuU%2BL._SS500_.jpg

^ see same Kazuma as in RGG2 cover B&W too

US Yakuza 1 is different
51nLerYKhHL._SS500_.jpg

Edit: beaten :(

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Shikashi said:

also this
51KXp3dOnML._SL500_.jpg

Kenzan and RGG4 both have same" crowded cover "problem , but Shota Matsuda awesomeness and his Handsomeness saved Kenzan.

but RGG3 is the best cover of the entire series ( yeah better than RGG1 and Y1 ) imo.

Truthfully while I prefer the original muted greyscale Yakuza 3 japanese boxart, lets be honest in that "pensive japanese man" doesn't make for the best cover. If SEGA actually, you know, wanted to sell this game they should be doing so on its actual appeal:

k13ywj.png

Similarly Yakuza 2 boxart should have been hi-res art/render of Kazuma punching a fucking tiger in the face.

Xater

Segata Sanshiro said:
Because he's smoking. You wouldn't be able to have the Japanese cover on a viewable shelf in Canada, and you just know there's an annoying undersexed parent somewhere in America that would take issue with it.

It's really fun watching people who were begging, pleading, screaming, and squealing for SEGA to release this in English slowly "shitty excuse" their way out of buying it, though.

Who is going to skip it because of the cover? I would never do it, but I'm still going to complain about this shitty one. There has to be some more concept art lying around somewhere to make something that is more appealing.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Segata Sanshiro said:
Like who?

GeoramA

Xater said:
I don't know. The disconnect between the render and the background is just too big.
True, no point in being optimistic :lol

Boxart isn't a big deal to me, but I'd like to see one of my favorite franchises get a better cover than...that.

Xater

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah I got nothing. Still, bet this game sells fewer copies than there are GAF members.

Who will do the offcial thred? The Title should be along the lines of "Offcial Yakuza 3 Thread of BUY THIS EXCELLENT GAME YOU BASTARD!"

FHIZ

androvsky said:
I get the funny feeling the shot of Kazuma smoking a cigarette from the Japanese wouldn't go over too well in the U.S., and like someone else said, at least it's not another shot of his back.
exactly

and as for the real boxart, man does sega want this to sell at all? get something more appealing for christ's sake.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Xater said:
Who will do the offcial thred? The Title should be along the lines of "Offcial Yakuza 3 Thread of BUY THIS EXCELLENT GAME YOU BASTARD!"

why not just using Kagari's official RGG3 thread ? Demon's Souls used the same official thread for the JP version too , some mod need to change the title to Yakuza 3 and Kagari update the first post.

C-Jo

A few months ago, most of us were resigned to the fact that we wouldn't be playing it in English at all, and now we're bitching about box art? Come on.

tomedo

C-Jo said:
A few months ago, most of us were resigned to the fact that we wouldn't be playing it in English at all, and now we're bitching about box art? Come on.

Interested / well informed gamers (GAF ppl in this thread?) will buy it regardless of the box art, I guess the point is that with this art no-one else will.

C-Jo

tomedo said:
Interested / well informed gamers (GAF ppl in this thread?) will buy it regardless of the box art, I guess the point is that with this art no one else will.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything you could do with the box art to make people outside of the interested/well informed gamers bite on this one.

lupin23rd

Xater said:

More like, "Official Yakuza 3 thread of buy this game now (and buy the Japanese one too if you want good boxart because Sega sucks)".

Segata Sanshiro said:

Only a tenth of the people in this thread were even intent on buying it anyway. See the massive amounts "BUBUBU IT WONT SELL" after the announcement of a stateside release.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
The US box art is terrible. Sad thing is, you know that someone spent time trying to come up with this cover. They probably even had meetings and stuff about it and everything when they could have saved time and money by just spending 2 seconds in Photoshop to take out the cigarette in the Japanese cover art....and it would have looked better to boot.

Xater

Baron Aloha said:
The US box art is terrible. Sad thing is, you know that someone spent time trying to come up with this cover. They probably even had meetings and stuff about it and everything when they could have saved time and money by just spending 2 seconds in Photoshop to take out the cigarette in the Japanese cover art....and it would have looked better to boot.

Yeah it would actually be apretty easy shop and the cover would still look fine.

Top Bottom