• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Portions of) Yakuza 3 coming to the West - March 2010

NHale

LiK said:
Man, even the two previous US covers for the prequels were better. I guess SEGA really wants this to bomb on the shelves....

Release the game in a crowded month with games like Final Fantasy XIII, God of War III and Battlefield: Bad Company 2? Check.

A cover so bad that it's almost impossible to think anyone would approve that, unless the real intention is to have a shitty cover? Check.

This way Sega will reply to the "Bring Yakuza 4 to US/Europe" complaints with a "Yakuza 3 was not profitable, so why bother?".

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Halfway through the first game now.
Wow, the dub is hilarious. Almost wouldn't mind another dub like this. :lol
Usually I cringe but I can't stop laughing.

"Bring the shit!"

duckroll

AwesomeSyrup said:
So I haven't played Yakuza 1 or 2, but this game looks really good. Would you guys recommend playing them before I pick this up?

I don't know. I own Ryu ga Gotoku 3, had it since it came out, and I've not been able to play it. After playing RgG, RgG2 and RgG Kenzan, I'm totally burnt out on the series. I'm not going to get RgG4 either. Your mileage might vary.

LiK

AwesomeSyrup said:
So I haven't played Yakuza 1 or 2, but this game looks really good. Would you guys recommend playing them before I pick this up?
Most definitely, they are directly connected with recurring characters. Play them in order if you want the most from the stories.

LiK said:
Most definitely, they are directly connected with recurring characters. Play them in order if you want the most from the stories.

i've played all 3 but only managed to finish the first - i'm not sure he wouldn't just be better off starting with 3, if the awesome catch-up cinematic at the start of 2 is anything to go by. there sure isn't much to separate the three in terms of mechanics, so it'd be solely for the story...which is cool, yeah, but i'd probably be totally burnt out if i played them in a row.

i say start with 3, but make sure you know what you're in for.

also i'm not totally sure i understand the shocked boxart hate - it's pretty bad, yeah, but it's not like you're missing out on an awesome japanese cover!

pa.149011.1.jpg

Xater

AwesomeSyrup said:

Just pick up this one so it sells. You can catch up with the background story ingame anyway. Also if you play all the games back to back you might get burned out like duckroll.

LiK

Xater said:
Just pick up this one so it sells. You can catch up with the background story ingame anyway. Also if you play all the games back to back you might get burned out like duckroll.
Bah, I played the first 2 back to back and it was great. Burnt out? Pffffft :)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
345triangle said:
also i'm not totally sure i understand the shocked boxart hate - it's pretty bad, yeah, but it's not like you're missing out on an awesome japanese cover!

http://image4.play-asia.com/640/8a/pa.149011.1.jpg[/QUOTE]

RGG3 cover is pure sex

345triangle said:

pa.149011.1
yes we are!
That cover is a fucking Rembrandt compared to the US cover. Even if they wanted to put a big ugly close up of the main character most people aren't familiar with, why the hell is it the game render of him? yikes

345triangle said:

wat? the jp. cover reeks of style and balls, a combination not yet seen this generation. you're not worthy!

duckroll said:
I don't know. I own Ryu ga Gotoku 3, had it since it came out, and I've not been able to play it. After playing RgG, RgG2 and RgG Kenzan, I'm totally burnt out on the series. I'm not going to get RgG4 either. Your mileage might vary.
Hmmm..I may just pick up the first and play it just to get a feel for the game and so I'll also at least know a little about the characters.

Thanks for the help to those who responded to my post. :)

androvsky

AwesomeSyrup said:
Hmmm..I may just pick up the first and play it just to get a feel for the game and so I'll also at least know a little about the characters.

I was going to suggest just playing the second. It's a better game by most accounts, and gets you used to the Japanese voices.

JudgeN

AwesomeSyrup said:

To go with the post above, I recommend you start with the second and just read the story on the first. Second one is a much better game.

LiK

Quiet you three, the first one is essential cuz it's his entire origin story and establishes many characters who return for the sequel. Don't tell him to skip it if he wants to start with it. > :O

androvsky

LiK said:
Quiet you three, the first one is essential cuz it's his entire origin story and establishes many characters who return for the sequel. Don't tell him to skip it if he wants to start with it. > :O

He's skipping the second otherwise. Plus the second one has a recap...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Augemitbutter said:
wat? the jp. cover reeks of style and balls, a combination not yet seen this generation. you're not worthy!

yeah , this cover is worst than most covers in Mama Robotnik's Worst Boxarts of 2009 thread

I still can't believe SEGA greenligh this boxart , if they just already gave up on the western market and don't want to waste their money making something appeal them , at least make something for the hardcore of the series ( like redo Kazuma back Dragon tattoo again ) , not this piece of shit they called cover.

LiK

androvsky said:
He's skipping the second otherwise. Plus the second one has a recap...
He shouldn't skip the second one either...... :( and the recap wasn't that good. I think it was more like a refresher for ppl who played the first one rather than newbies.

duckroll said:

Good on you for lasting so long! I started to burn out on the game half way through 2. It's good, it's just that it's feels too similar to the 1st game. I'll still pick up 3 though, I just won't day one it like I did for the first 2. :/

Totobeni said:
yeah , this cover is worst than most covers in Mama Robotnik's Worst Boxarts of 2009 thread

I still can't believe SEGA greenligh this boxart , if they just already gave up on the western market and don't want to waste their money making something appeal them , at least make something for the hardcore of the series ( like redo Kazuma back Dragon tattoo again ) , not this piece of shit they called cover.
Why would they use the same idea for the cover as the previous two games, both of which sold disastrously? Like it or not, the stupid "half-head closeup" boxart is appealing to the masses right now. SEGA is trying a different, more popular style of boxart, clearly in an effort to outsell half the total of NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams this time.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Why would they use the same idea for the cover as the previous two games, both of which sold disastrously? Like it or not, the stupid "half-head closeup" boxart is appealing to the masses right now.
What leads you to believe that?

BobTheFork said:
What leads you to believe that?
Go check how many movies and games are using it. Yes, it's as a result of demographics, but if you've got a better idea of how to appeal to the masses than using demographics, patent it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
LiK said:
Alright, you party poopers need to GTFO! :lol

srsly.

Lik said:
He shouldn't skip the second one either...... :( and the recap wasn't that good. I think it was more like a refresher for ppl who played the first one rather than newbies.

yeah , the recap in RGG3 wasn't that good , they didn't mentioned many important things in Yakuza 2, he better play Yakuza 1 and 2 , but if he don't have much time to play the two before 3 , I guess just use codes ( action play or something ) to Finnish the games fast.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Why would they use the same idea for the cover as the previous two games, both of which sold disastrously? Like it or not, the stupid "half-head closeup" boxart is appealing to the masses right now. SEGA is trying a different, more popular style of boxart, clearly in an effort to outsell half the total of NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams this time.

well if you are right and this "half-face" thing will/might lead to better result I am with it 100% even if it's shit ugly.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Segata Sanshiro said:
Go check how many movies and games are using it. Yes, it's as a result of demographics, but if you've got a better idea of how to appeal to the masses than using demographics, patent it.

Uh, I don't believe any of last years top selling games use this. Or the year before. Only movie I can think of off the top of my head using it is Avatar (which frames the picture MUCH better while this looks like dogshit).

So, could you please give more examples than none?

Yeah, definitely play the first one. It should take less than 20 hours if you skip all the dating in host clubs. And concerning the new cover art, how much closer do we want to see his pores?

Kintaro said:
Uh, I don't believe any of last years top selling games use this. Or the year before. Only movie I can think of off the top of my head using it is Avatar (which frames the picture MUCH better while this looks like dogshit).

No, I'm not going to waste my time on that. You want to see them, you go for it. It's three in the morning and I'm trying to rub one out here.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Kintaro said:

He's just making it up as he goes along as usual.

dallow_bg said:
It's more that I've hit the point that my opinion of the average GAFfer is so low that I'm not even willing to invest five seconds to back up anything I'm saying anymore. Disagree with me, agree with me, I don't even give a fuck anymore.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Segata Sanshiro said:
It's more that I've hit the point that my opinion of the average GAFfer is so low that I'm not even willing to invest five seconds to back up anything I'm saying anymore. Disagree with me, agree with me, I don't even give a fuck anymore.
Isn't that what console warriors do?
I know you're aren't on their level.

JudgeN

Segata Sanshiro said:
No, I'm not going to waste my time on that. You want to see them, you go for it. It's three in the morning and I'm trying to rub one out here.

dallow_bg said:

Didn't you all read, this man is busy he has no time to search for movie posters/boxarts :lol

dallow_bg said:
Isn't that what console warriors do?
I know you're aren't on their level.
The console warriors give too much of a fuck. I give no fuck. It's a subtle difference.

With you, I was being cute. With Kintaro, he can haul his ass to a fucking video store or something and look if he's too blind to have noticed the trend. It's like asking me to prove there are fifty cities in the world whose names start with the letter 'a'. I could do it, but why would I waste my time proving something obvious?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Kintaro said:

that was for Segata , but I tried to search for some , not good results tho.

51XXF13WZXL._AA280_.jpg

^ bomba :(

51t6-AT5h0L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

^ bomba.

510JNKDDDKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

^ iirc it was a bomba too.

and not a half-face but similar to it

516sRT02icL._AA280_.jpg

51AzNqGYXoL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

61Xv%2BYHf4TL._AA280_.jpg

^ :( x3

so MGS4 is the anomaly here.

in the end yeah I guess it's bad to use half-face cover for games , more actions on the cover the better I guess.

Sony also changed Kratos big eye/half-face with full t/painting style shot Kratos with two swords for GOW3 no ?

Segata Sanshiro said:
, I don't even give a fuck anymore.

SEGA killed you twice ( by a rocket + Lan-di ) so I don't blame you.

Don

Yakuza 3 boxart looks worse than all of those. Having the logo go across his forehead and the ESRB rating over his chin is really stupid looking. The way the top of his head fades out also looks odd.

345triangle said:

pa.149011.1.jpg

Is this an expanded audience game about smoking?

Just kidding

kinda new to the franchise and know nothing about it. is it similar to games such as Shenmue or Grand Theft Auto? Is it kind of like a immersive modern-day japanese gangster game? I've been kind of wanting something like Shenmue for a while now but not sure if this game fits the bill.

Hate the NA cover, but will buy anyway and print out a custom cover at one point in the future. It's sad that someone with Photoshop will undoubtedly whip together a far superior cover than the publisher of the game itself.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
What the heck is this?
Gamestop has a 'pre-order' DLC bonus.

:/

Reserve Yakuza 3 and get the GameStop Exclusive Challenge Pack. Challenge your friends in 2-player mini-games including pool, darts, bowling , or take in a round of golf! This special pre-sell offer also includes a selection of four different outfits for Haruka, Kazuma and Rikiya to wear.

Completed game save file required to access outfits. Available online and in-store while supplies last.

Online Customers: A code and instructions on how to download the challenge pack will be emailed when the game ships.

Store / In-Store Pickup Customers: A pre-order card containing a code and instructions on how to download the exclusive challenge will be available at time of pick-up.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76648

Top Bottom