• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Power Rangers |SPOILER THREAD| We've got SIX (6) more after this, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
♫
liqtWQi.jpg

Directed by Dean Israelite
Written by John Gatins
Produced by Haim Saban
Score by Ron Wasserman Brian Tyler
Release Date: March 24, 2017

This is the SPOILER THREAD, but can we be honest with each other? What could there possibly be to spoil in this film? What? A fucking cameo from Jason David Frank? Amy Jo Johnson? Walter Emanuel Jones? Another person who used all three names? Or maybe an after credits stinger for either a) the Green Ranger or b)Zedd or c) all of the above? It’s a fucking 2 hours (and four minutes!) version of this. Though, I think I’m getting ahead of myself here, since this part is usually the
t0KDn74.png

where I write (blog?) about what the film is supposedly about. Okay, so for the 5 of you out there (four of which have probably just been born—welcome!) A disembodied alien (person? thing? I don’t actually know) head trapped in a secret base with a small annoying robot decide that the only ones who could defend the universe from the forces of evil are 5 hormonal teenagers who already think the world is against them with parents, too much homework, social circles, the prom, and graduation (though, that’s more of a secondary concern). Naturally they are the perfect choices to weaponize and train. Child soldiers haven't been steered wrong before, right?

Well if that's not bad enough, there's an evil force growing to bring harm to the planet and that evil's name is Rita, and after being freed from 10,000 years of napping, she decides to conquer Earf. It's up to the child soldiers to wage war on behalf of the planet
D9xssep.png

Continuing the thrill of seeing teenagers fight for their lives.

Cooking up a batch of super soliders who still need to pass their chemistry class.

Don't let Alpha 5's latest design fool you, he's been in a worse place.

sZBEyOK.png

THE BLACK GUY ISN'T THE BLACK RANGER?!?!?!

Megaton.
It's growing on me every so slightly and so is my concern for my own well-being.
I may need to be drunk for this. And then it'll be a blast.
I've spent the last several days asking myself, "Why the hell do I want to see this?"
Why does a mammoth have 8 legs?
#notmyalpha
Once the theme kicks in during the movie I will throw my popcorn at someone
This nails it. Power Rangers is a completely irrelevant property in 2017.
Callin' my shot now: This will gross more domestically than either of WB's DCEU films this year.
Me a few days ago: Meh, I guess I'll watch it when it comes out on Bluray.

Me now:
obELbyV.png
THE SIGNAL IS CALLING
obELbyV.png
OUR PLANET IS FALLING
obELbyV.png
THE DANGER WILL TEST YOU
obELbyV.png
BETTER MAKE IT A LIGHTSPEED RESCUE
obELbyV.png
I definitely liked Power Rangers more than Logan as well, and I love the Wolverine character and X-Men films.

cbBfJpS.png

755yjDm.png

So Japan being the origins of the Power Rangers through Super Sentai, many of the Japanese are also divided about the new film coming out. Don't believe me? You shouldn't.
“There are a lot of things I would like to say but the number one mystery is the mammoth’s eight legs and the triceratops’ six legs.”
ZyhkUUN.jpg

“Hollywood’s quality is just too high.”
WLd4iwC.jpg

“It’s
, there are too many settings. I don’t think kids will understand it.”
mrJI5lE.png

“Hey, this is the song from Saints Row the Third.”

“Power means chikara in Japanese, that’s why Kanye’s “Power” is there lol”
yedk.png

“At least it looks better than Dragon Ball from a few years ago, right?”
koFkZdi.jpg

Review Thread
Official Site
Twitch Marathon Thread (OT2) (OT3)
Krispy Kreme Doughnuts

*As always, thanks to Quick for being amazing and whipping up fancy images.

robotrock

Banned
Are they making another one of these yet

edit: holy shit they actually have plans to make six or seven more of these? wow. i'm definitely in.

You put Rocky in the fucking poster haha
You are a genius. Quality OT post.

I will be joining the ranks of the spoiled on Saturday afternoon, and then I will return. Hoping for the best.

Sanjuro

Film reminded me of so many great moments from the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

• The original Rangers crawling to to their death.
  • Zordon hoping the Rangers would fail so he could resurrect himself.
  • The kids hanging out at Ernie's Krispy Kreme .
  • Rita murdering people and swimming through body parts.
  • Alpha beating the shit out of the Rangers in training, causing them to cough up blood.
  • Drinking beer by the campfire.
  • Multiple horrific car crashes.
  • Everyone's parent is basically dead or dying.
I was expecting Ninja Turtles: Next Mutation to air right after it!

cj_iwakura

OH6wBVt.jpg

Krispy Kreme is the new Thanos.

oh my god, really?

And the Megazord is the new Thanos. It looked JUST LIKE HIM at first.

Also, the zords being pushed into the lava felt like a throwback to the episode when they all lose their zords.

Nialrot

Wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and can't wait for the numerous sequels probably in the works.

The one thing I was worried about was the CGI but it ended up pretty good.

Hoping for some Tommy action next movie.

cj_iwakura

Maybe now that they've spent an entire film with an hour+ of character development they can focus on them doing martial arts in the next one.

Not likely, but hey.

I loved it. Thought the acting, writing and chemistry were perfect. It had a great mix of comedy, drama and action.

The suits looked really good in motion and so did the zords. I really hope this movie succeeds. I want to see a sequel!

My theatre cheered when the 90s theme started playing. The film also had so many Easter eggs—the pterodactyl attaching to the tyrannosaurs was definitely a nod to the original megazord's tank mode.

Also my theatre was packed for 7pm on a Thursday. People were cracking up at the Kristen Creme references.

Quick

Banned
I fucking ate that shit up like Krispy Kreme donuts, man.

I really enjoyed it. Opening scene was really good, though the alien language was a bit weak. Almost like they just said "just say some nonsense" and called it a day. I like the expanded backstory to what's essentially TEENS WEARING ARMOUR GIANT ROBOT MONSTER FIGHT THE MOVIE.

Cast was great, particularly Billy. Bit too on the nose with him explaining himself as being in the spectrum, but I'm glad it isn't written off as "Billy's weird!" Probably could've saved the explanation during the camp fire scene. Each one of them has problems individually, and I don't think the film works without it. Especially the payoff with the Rangers coming together in the end.

Zordon is a dick. Cranston done good here. Storyline with him being able to return as the Red Ranger when the current team figures out how to Morph was weak, and it probably could've been written out in its current state. Would've preferred that it was maybe more front-and-centre.

Alpha being a sarcastic robot was pretty funny, and I wish we could've gotten more of Hader just messing around as him.

Would've liked to see more Rita, but she's basically there as a 1st boss in what could be a movie franchise in the same universe ("I'm not the only one, etc. etc.").

Loved the Amy Jo and JDF cameo, even though it looked like they cut+pasted them in the scene with the crowd. Was hoping for a (almost) full MMPR cast cameo, but if I had to pick two, I'd have chosen them.

I really like the suits and the morphing scene. Zords busting out to the theme song was SO DAMN SATISFYING. Was hoping they'd play it again when the Zords came together to form the Megazord.

I really had to pee so I missed the post-credits scene, but it'll probably leak online soon.

I'll give it a 3.5/5 Krispy Kremes.

There were a couple of kids in the theatre, pretty sure they grew up right on the spot when Kimberly stripped down and took a dive in the water.

Delio

Liked it alot. Felt like a fine movie retelling of the original five. Few things i enjoyed.

Billy was awesome and carried a lot of the funny on his back.

They actually did kill a ranger off shockingly. I liked that Zordon gave his chance to come back to give Billy his life back. The very thing Zordon would do.

Seeing the lore with the rangers in the past and Zordon as Red has always been a fan theory and it was fun seeing that.

I liked the zords in this movie. When the Power ranger theme blared as the zords came stampeding out it was great. Tho that sounded like a straight rip of the first movies MMPR theme.

Alpha was fun and i liked how much of a wisecracker he was.

The Zeo Crystal being just a natural part of a planet was interesting. Could still work for the Zeo Rangers if they got that far.

Things i didn't like

Ew at the Bull jacking off joke. Hated it and it was stupid. Just having them kidnapp the damn thing as a school prank would have been enough.

Trini and Zack barely got any real growth i felt.

Megazord fight actually felt the weakest for me. The finisher not being a lightning sword felt like a waste.

I agree with some reviewers. They needed a bit more ranger morphed scenes. I felt like they could have folded some of the training with them being in suit and still had the growing to trust each other to bring the full potienal of their powers out.

All in all as a long time fan of Power Rangers i enjoyed it. I really want a sequel now.

bigkrev

I found it really funny that the part of a Power Rangers movie I disliked the most was the action scenes? I love the first 90 minutes of the movie- Billy was great, but fuccboi Zach really some the show just being a guy you wanted to see get punched in the face. I really liked Zordon being a dick as well- I assumed when he dismissed the Rangers, it was to build their character and help them. Then, in the next scene, you find out that nope, he's just pissed off!

I had been led to believe that the Krispie kreme scene was going to be long to the point of it ruining the movie- instead it was maybe 10 seconds long? Completely overblown in the reviews.

Solid 8/10 movie

Tall4Life

I just got back from it. I really enjoyed it. Loved the cast, Pink Ranger was awesome.

AND HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT THE GERMAN SUPLEX FROM THE MEGAZORD ON GOLDAR JESUS CHRIST I LITERALLY POPPED FOR THAT SHIT

Delio

When did the zeo crystals come into play in the show?

In Season three they send the Crystals off in various parts of time to protect them. When they lose thier powers in Season three they have to go on quests to reclaim them and thus they become the Zeo rangers. Wasn't exactly the same as in this movie of course but they could still use it as a power source.

bigkrev

Some more thoughts

-I like how there are things in this movie that they don't go into detail explaining. How do they make it to their beds after getting in the car crash? How were they able to form Megazord? Where did Jason get the sword from? A lesser movie would have explained "Well, when the Zords came in contact with the Zeo Crystal, it allowed them to combine!" and "well, now that they had the Power Coins, they can teleport, and they did it subconsciously right before the impact", while this movie knew that it didn't actually matter, and left it to you to figure out if you are a fan

-The design of the Megazord- where the individual pods are around the body, and each ranger controlled a limb- was a good decision. Seeing it trip and fall because they didn't know who controlled the legs, to being able to work together to give a GERMAN SUPLEX (with a decent bridge!) to Goldar was a great moment for the team.

-I was really surprised how much the suits felt like Power Ranger suits to me. The silver lips on each one really stood out to me

Its actually just Rita's helmet though

Well, the fact that the post-credit scene is about Tommy being missing from detention (and just a green jacket being left on the chair) was a pretty decent hint that if a sequel gets made, it's going to be an Evil Green Ranger

Toa TAK

Banned
They played the MMPR Theme from the original film. That's my favorite version.

Movie gets 10000/10 from me. Millions dead. Tommy AFK.

Jason literally bitchslaps Rita to the moon.

evanmisha

Just got back from a preview showing. It was good! Definitely not winning any awards (especially for the effects, YIKES) but there was a lot to like.

Billy especially was an absolute treat. Zack teetered between good and bad. Kimberly was good. Trini was a miss for me and unfortunately the famed LGBT scene was really messy thanks to one of a few really weird deliveries from Zack, and her dialogue about not being able to tell her family was well-written enough, but not quite well-acted enough. Meh. Jason went from meh to WOW bad a few times (his monologue after Billy died was just... I think I audibly groaned). Rita was... interesting. There's a scene where the rangers are shown a future wherein she I guess destroys the Earth without their interference and they do these like Samara from The Ring style cuts... not cute. I liked when she got sassy, and it felt very Rita, but their attempts to make her scary flopped hard. As soon as the movie started I was thinking, "God, I hope they show her in the green ranger suit and don't just tease it or only show part of it which I'm sure they're going to", and then BAM! There it was, right there in the opening scene. So, that was a small plus for me.

The effects work ranged from acceptable to bad. There's 2 green screen shots that were like WOW Fant4stic level bad. One when Jason says 'It's morphin time!' (cuz of course he does) and the other when Rita either gets out of Goldar or in to Goldar (I forget which).

Additionally, this movie was like The Breakfast Club with superpowers. I can't believe how much of it was lifted from The Breakfast Club. You're introduced to the characters in this permanent Saturday detention, and there's the pretty, popular girl, the nerd who's in detention because of an explosion, and the jock who's there because he made a couple mistakes which may have cost him his fledgling football career. Bonus points if you can guess which two have romantic chemistry. Rounding the team out are the guy with family problems and the 'crazy girl'. They're The Breakfast Club. It's kinda shameless, actually, how much they lean on that.

With all that said, I genuinely really enjoyed the first hour and a half of the movie. The cast, with Billy definitely being the standout, worked together very well and the writing was good enough and I enjoyed them exploring this world and their powers and their relationships. And the movie got more than a few laughs from the 100% adult crowd at my screening (literally not a single kid in the audience). The subtle effects work throughout this portion of the movie was all very good. The base was very well designed, I hated Alpha 5's design going in but it grew on me over the course of the movie, and the set pieces were a lot of fun. Particularly the car chase scene when they're all trying to get away from the mine security guys. Really a lot of fun.

And then they transformed.

Wow. The designs were not distractingly bad in action, even Goldar wasn't terrible, but the wind went completely out of the film's sails for me. The action choreography up to this point had been competent at worst, but then suddenly full CG and super telegraphed. Luckily, it didn't last long until they got into the zords. The fight with Goldar was okay, but there was no... oomph to it. It relied more on emotional resonance with the characters as they struggled to operate the zords and to defeat Goldar than in anything really cool or flashy or elaborate in the way that I expect Super Sentai mecha action to be. It was lame. Super lame.

What I assume everyone will be talking about is how little of the film they were actually transformed for and how short-lived all of the action was. For me? That sort of worked to the film's benefit. If this was the budget they were willing to invest in making the action look good, the movie would have been quite a bit worse had that been more of the showcase. The suited action was undoubtedly the worst part of this movie, so it not overstaying its welcome was a big plus for me. Would I have liked it to be better? Absolutely! Hopefully if this a success that's a complaint they can address next time. Because this budget just ain't cuttin' it.

EDIT: Oh, yeah! Krispy Kreme! Okay, so I am definitely thinking they just ripped the Angel Grove Gym and Juice Bar out of an earlier draft of the script and shoehorned Krispy Kreme in its place for that sweet, sweet sponsorship money.

Chairhome

Well, the fact that the post-credit scene is about Tommy being missing from detention (and just a green jacket being left on the chair) was a pretty decent hint that if a sequel gets made, it's going to be an Evil Green Ranger

That's obvious, just correcting that its not really the Green Ranger that we want that's in this film. I just read a news post incorrectly saying that the green ranger is being teased for this film.

Toa TAK

Banned
Also, why are people still slobbering over Brian Tyler?

People complain about Zimmer's music sounding the same all the time, but this dude's music still sounds like he just keeps recycling his Battle: LA score.

LionPride

Banned
YOOOO! Why are people saying this movie is edgy and dark? All I'm hearing is how campy some of it is and how it does fanservice well while also being fucking campy as Power Rangers and self aware. Even if the first half is dark amd gritty, bruh for a new audience to have a movie that is supposedly genuinely good? AHHHHHH

I'm seeing it tommorow. I'm happy.

And Billy is the standout? YAAAAASSSSS

Jeffrey

wish there was a proper megazord combination sequence

'megazord sequence initiated'

Also Rita could have used a bit more character development. Seems like something that will happen in the sequel? especially if it has tommy. Maybe the green ranger suit is just cursed to be evil or something lol.

Tall4Life

YOOOO! Why are people saying this movie is edgy and dark? All I'm hearing is how campy some of it is and how it does fanservice well while also being fucking campy as Power Rangers and self aware. Even if the first half is dark amd gritty, bruh for a new audience to have a movie that is supposedly genuinely good? AHHHHHH

I'm seeing it tommorow. I'm happy.

And Billy is the standout? YAAAAASSSSS
It has its dark moments but it has a lot of fun moments where you can just laugh at how ridiculous it is, that's the intention

its great

jwk94

Enjoyed pretty much all of it except for the Krispy Kreme bit and lack of any real martial arts in the suits. That was my main fear when I saw those suits and the giant Putties. Hopefully this is fixed in the sequel. I thought it was weird how Zordon said to hit them in the center though since that only applies to Zed's Putties.

Also, anyone else think they wrote themselves into a corner for the sequel? If we go Evil Green Ranger for most of the movie, who do they fight when Tommy joins em? From what we know, Rita's powerless without her coin. She's now more or less stuck in space until Zed pops up. So who's the final-act antagonist for the sequel?

Gurrry

Enjoyed pretty much all of it except for the Krispy Kreme bit and lack of any real martial arts in the suits. That was my main fear when I saw those suits and the giant Putties. Hopefully this is fixed in the sequel. I thought it was weird how Zordon said to hit them in the center though since that only applies to Zed's Putties.

Also, anyone else think they wrote themselves into a corner for the sequel? If we go Evil Green Ranger for most of the movie, who do they fight when Tommy joins em? From what we know, Rita's powerless without her coin. She's now more or less stuck in space until Zed pops up. So who's the final-act antagonist for the sequel?

I think the sequel will (and should) do the green evil ranger story. That last sequence with Rita had her flying towards the moon... which we all know, is where she sets up her base.

I imagine we get Zed in the sequel too... but maybe not. He might be the third movie's boss.

Either way, we need a sequel just so we can see the red ranger vs green ranger fight on the big screen. Its gonna be so bad ass.

Xion385

What I would give to feel that swift nostalgia kicking me in the nuts when that theme hit. This movie was better than it had any right to be. 7/10

Attention all 90s kids. It is your duty as a 90s kid to watch this movie. I NEED THE SEQUEL! Thanks!

I wonder how much Krispy Kreme paid for all that product placement. Also, my main gripe was instead of play "Power" by Kanye West they should've just continued playing the Power Rangers theme instead.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Also, why are people still slobbering over Brian Tyler?

People complain about Zimmer's music sounding the same all the time, but this dude's music still sounds like he just keeps recycling his Battle: LA score.

Brian Tyler

The Arby's of movie composers.

Toa TAK

Banned
Edit: ^^^^exactly

Yeah, I'm actually looking forward to 6 of these things now. Again, so long as the out of Morph stuff is done well.

Also, I want the next finale to be a Toys 'R Us.

ReiGun

I might go peep this after work tomorrow.

I'm not ashamed to admit it's probably the superhero flick I'm most looking forward to this year.

Jeffrey

they can mix stuff up for the sequel. Bring tommy in a green ranger... but with zero crystal as a plot device already, its an easy bet for some new suits for the the cast (new toys to sell).

So mid movie they get 'upgraded' to new zeo suits while tommy gets white. Need that power boost to fight zed.

Seems reasonable?

also dragonzord in the movie somewhere. They live in a freaking coastal town too so its basically built for dragonzord to rise outta the water.

jwk94

So the parts where they aren't rangers (majority of the film) is actually good?
It's like 90% of the movie and probably the best part.

they can mix stuff up for the sequel. Bring tommy in a green ranger... but with zero crystal as a plot device already, its an easy bet for some new suits for the the cast (new toys to sell).

So mid movie they get 'upgraded' to new zeo suits while tommy gets white. Need that power boost to fight zed.

Seems reasonable?

also dragonzord in the movie somewhere. They live in a freaking coastal town too so its basically built for dragonzord to rise outta the water.
There's too much they have to get through before they go Zeo though.

- Zed
- Rita & Zed teaming up
- Evil Green ranger + him joining the team
- Dragon zord
- Titanus (maybe?)
- Alien ranger teaser??
- White Ranger
- Tiger Zrod

Then they can go Zeo, but you'd also need the Gold Ranger eventually. It's gonna be interesting seeing how they move forward. Rita basically set everyhing up with her losing the green power coin and talking about more people from around the universe coming for the Zeo crystal.

Gurrry

It's gonna be interesting seeing how they move forward. Rita basically set everyhing up with her losing the green power coin and talking about more people from around the universe coming for the Zeo crystal.

Did she for sure lose the coin though? I couldnt remember if she has her staff when shes bitch slapped to the moon.

If she doesnt have the coin, the green ranger saga is gonna be way different. She will need it to turn him into the evil green ranger.

SaviourMK2

I was scared this would be a bombshell, I wouldn't like it and the Saban company would have had personally too much invested in the story "Go go MovieForce/Go Go Morhin Time/Go Go Crap", zord exclusive armor to wear. The one thing I always disliked about the original Power Rangers is that they where all too perfectly goodie goodie, they came of as bland at first with no defineable traits other than the exaggerated one (Jason being tough and decisive, Kimberly being the preppy high school girl who loved to shop, Zach being a player, Billy being a hopeless dweep, Trini.... being... a background character? Zordon wise and all knowing, Alpha annoying as crap, Rita attempting to be evil but really just petty as hell)

The characters in the movie where believable. In a real world, the odds of them coming together would be unfathomable, but when they came together, they helped balance each other out. I like how the power coins weren't just simply "Here you can wear costumes now", that they needed to be in sync and connect with the morphing grid just to be able to access their powers, it helped create the tension because they don't know who or what is holding them back.

Rita is a tough to compare, this Rita is as different as a rainy night and a hot day. Rita in the TV series was the mortal enemy of Zordon, they've fought since the beginning of time, she was petty and had people do work for her, never really confronting them in person unless it was from a distance where she wouldn't be involved. Movie Rita was a friend of Zordon, someone they trusted until she became corrupted, murdered all of her team mates and actively fought the Rangers in hand to hand combat on more than one occasion.

The only thing that bothered me is that while each of them had legitimate issues (Zack being afraid of losing his mother and being alone in the world, Jason screwing up every decision he's made, Trini being unable to come out to her parents, and Billy being bullied and outcasted for his aspergers) Kimberly suffered from being upset that she performed a mean girl trick, I don't know, maybe it's just me.

I loved the movie, the pacing was great, the build up to the first morph was great. It was a funny time because while I was "Come on, I wanna see some Ranger fighting" I was also like "This needs to be a great build up".

I loved this movie, I look forward to more. Truth be told I hope it deviates from the original story, maybe give Rocky, Aisha and Adam a newer story role than taking over for Jason, Trini and Zack. Truth be told, I never liked the replacements, until Zeo, where Adam and Rocky got proper character development, where as they felt like just extras for me, all the way until the end of Mighty Morphin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom