• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Power Rangers |SPOILER THREAD| We've got SIX (6) more after this, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurrry

Rita loss the coin, and Tommy will find it. Rita, now on the moon, still probably holds influence over the coin due to being linked with it for so long, so she will be able to control Tommy to do her bidding. Tommy will be used to tear the Rangers apart from the inside and infiltrate their base. Rita's control over Gold will come into play and will probably be how Tommy's gold shield will get made.

I couldnt remember if Rita had her staff as she got bitch slapped into space. Is it confirmed that she lost it? Did they ever show that the rangers now had the staff or the green coin?

If she still has it, then turning tommy evil and giving him the green coin will (and SHOULD) be the plot of the next movie. I will be there day 1 for that.

Sanjuro

I couldnt remember if Rita had her staff as she got bitch slapped into space. Is it confirmed that she lost it? Did they ever show that the rangers now had the staff or the green coin?

If she still has it, then turning tommy evil and giving him the green coin will (and SHOULD) be the plot of the next movie. I will be there day 1 for that.

I think she had her staff.

Gurrry

Shit, I completely forgot about this... but that german suplex from the megazord on goldar was so fucking bad ass. As a wrestling fan, i marked out mannnnn.

I think she had her staff.

Interesting... I guess the real question is, was the coin still in the staff?

Solid origin story. The climax fight was a bit of a let down besides the Megazord tripping itself. Wasn't a fan of the Megazord's design either.

Glad they cut the Kimberly/Jason kiss since I don't think a romance was earned/necessary.

I think the actual morphing would've worked better if it was unexpected and spontaneous, like when Billy morphed to separate Zach and Jason.

catmincer

I really enjoyed this but Trini's actress was rather er mediocre. I missed the credits scene so I'll have to go back and see this again.

Pachimari

I wonder if they gave Becky G (yellow ranger) so few things to do is because she isn't used to acting? Isn't she just a singer? Although I thought she did well enough with what she were given but I wasn't super convinced.

SaviourMK2

If we get a sequel the first scene MUST be the rangers fighting the monster of the week with the theme at full blast like a mini episode of the show, cut to the Title and then start the plot as if they've been doing that for a while

I don't see how thats possible since the last we see Rita she's floating in space without her staff/wand (Magic wand!). They can't really start the sequel in the middle of a fight, who would've instigated the fight?

I suppose they could start in the middle of a losing battle against the Green Ranger like they did in this film before doing a "1 month prior" or something like that

I don't see how thats possible since the last we see Rita she's floating in space without her staff/wand (Magic wand!). They can't really start the sequel in the middle of a fight, who would've instigated the fight?

I suppose they could start in the middle of a losing battle against the Green Ranger like they did in this film before doing a "1 month prior" or something like that

Rita did mention that there will be others coming to try and retrieve the crystal, so it's likely aliens will be making routine stops at Angel Grove.

This was a legitimately good film. Had Rita not been in it, it would have been great. I'm not sure what the actress was aiming for or why the director allowed it. The cast was solid, and took this as an opportunity to create a genuine story about friendship.

Rita on the other hand seemed to think it was a TV remake of the 90s series.

Zac, Billy and Trini were great. The camp fire scene and Billy's death had more of an emotional grip than anything in Logan, for me at least.

I am actually surprised as I sit there to have just seen a fun, modern reboot.

Only downside is there wasn't enough of the GO GO theme tube.

The audience are coming out of theatre singing that song, after going mad for Tommy and Kimberly's cameos. Wow.

I can't stop smiling.

The fact that they only manage to morph after they literally die for each other, or are willing to, is profound. That to me is the biggest takeaway of this.

ezekial45

Banned
The fact that they only manage to morph after they literally die for each other, or are willing to, is profound. That to me is the biggest takeaway of this.

I agree. It made the morphing scene feel earned, as opposed to the TV series just handing them their weapons, zords and shit.

I'm just really surprised at how well the acting was in this movie. The young actors did a fantastic job here.

Sou Da

The last third of this movie is awful, I'm sorry. I'm genuinely shocked at how bad the actual Power Rangers bit of this is.

The last third of this movie is awful, I'm sorry. I'm genuinely shocked at how bad the actual Power Rangers bit of this is.

It's the CGI Zords and the cartoony villain. They built the entire premise up with humour and chemistry. It's sad, but they need to get away from these Zords. The martial arts stuff is what we watched the shows for anyway.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Didn't see this topic, so I'll just copy what I said in the review thread.

Just got back from seeing it, really enjoyed it, the wife liked it too and we both grew up on MMPW. It was no where near as campy as a typical Power Rangers series, there was a bit in there though, and I was surprised at how many laughs there were, but it was also never going to be as campy as the show was.

There main team were fine, I didn't think there was really a lot of talking in it though between them, or not as much as I expected there to be for some reason, I don't think Trini or Zack got as near enough time as the other did. The "Go Go Power Rangers" track is thrown in there, it wasn't as well used as it could have been and definitely needed the guitar riff bit leading up to it. I think it could have been placed a bit better, more of an ending fight theme than where they used it. The film was also darker in places than I was expecting, as a whole I thought it was going to be a bit more of kid friendly film than what they did with Rita in some scenes. I also really liked the first scene the film opens up with, that was a nice touch and the sort of lore building you'd expect if they wanted to take the series further.

It was good though, better than I was expecting. I hope it does well enough that we get a sequel out of it in a few years, for this sort of series as a first film I think it was a solid foundation in which to build some fun sequels. The after credits scene obviously hints to where we would expect to be going story wise with the Green Ranger, I imagine they will save Lord Zed for the third film and probably a costume and zord change after he comes out fighting.

Pachimari

It's the CGI Zords and the cartoony villain. They built the entire premise up with humour and chemistry. It's sad, but they need to get away from these Zords. The martial arts stuff is what we watched the shows for anyway.
Zords are a stable of Power Rangers too though and they looked good, much better than what I had thought from all of the promo material. And Rita was perfect. The cinematography even enhanced her scenes and made her scary in a cool way. I would like for her to be given more to do in one of the sequels.

Glass

Favourite part of the film was the build up to the morph. Loved that it was earnt, the music came swelling back which had been teased. Latched onto the characters really easily. People said this film could have done being shorter but it flew by for me, could have done with an extra 10 minutes of suit action, namely martial arts, more triple kick style shots.

Worst part for me was still the designs, it was so generic, it put a dampener on the final act for me. The Zord sequence in the original show was a lot more hyped, with the T rex rising out of the ground, the slow build up, actually seeing how they slotted together. It was clear these designs did not slot together in any way and had to be done off screen.

If this had been how they looked, I would have been so much more hyped come morphin time

148dce38207099.5758de385d731.jpg

Overall really enjoyed it, great foundation for the future, but man I hope the designs get an overhaul.

cj_iwakura

Yo. She got backhanded to the moon.

That was a great payoff.

I wish they'd had a brief transformation, fought some putties, then it failed, then they get to go all out later on. It would've been a better use of all that screentime, and allowed more fighting.

Again, I like the development, but it left almost no time for the actual action.

Also shame there was no callouts of the zoids.

LionPride

Banned
That was a great payoff.

I wish they'd had a brief transformation, fought some putties, then it failed, then they get to go all out later on. It would've been a better use of all that screentime, and allowed more fighting.

Again, I like the development, but it left almost no time for the actual action.
I was fine with that. I liked that I cared that Billy died, I liked that I cared they were willing to sacrifice their lives for each other. I cared about the characters a lot more than I thought I would. The action didn't need to be long and great to me once I realized the movie focuses on their characters more than anything.

But I mean, when they got the Zords and the theme played...when they fucking German Suplexed Goldar...I made a joke about punting her to the moon so we can end the fight. Didn't think they'd backhand her there.

Was really good. Better than it had the right to be.

Also, I hope the next movie starts with them fighting some monster of the week. Don't care how, but I wants it

cj_iwakura

I was fine with that. I liked that I cared that Billy died, I liked that I cared they were willing to sacrifice their lives for each other. I cared about the characters a lot more than I thought I would. The action didn't need to be long and great to me once I realized the movie focuses on their characters more than anything.

But I mean, when they got the Zords and the theme played...when they fucking German Suplexed Goldar...I made a joke about punting her to the moon so we can end the fight. Didn't think they'd backhand her there.

Was really good. Better than it had the right to be.

Absolutely. I expected it to be a dumpster fire and it was actually pretty good. I just think with a bit of work, it could have been really great.

Jeffrey

The lack of combination sequence is upsetting still. Megazords was what got me into gundam and macross and transformers.

cj_iwakura

The lack of combination sequence is upsetting still. Megazords was what got me into gundam and macross and transformers.

Yeah, that's part of why the big reveal fell flat. It just... showed up, and it didn't feel like it was a combination of the five.

Pachimari

Am I the only one here who was impressed with the fight choreography of what little we got? And that the Zords didn't look like ass?

LionPride

Banned
I would legit reccommend this movie to any human being who has seen MMPR at least once. Or wants a movie that seems like a good YA property

Am I the only one here who was impressed with the fight choreography of what little we got? And that the Zords didn't look like ass?

The fight against Rita at the place of dead ships was cool and Jason's solo fight when he was trying to rescue his dad was cool. They were decently shot and had some good choreography. It was the CGI fights that were pretty bad. It only worked when they were completely underwater.

Sou Da

It felt like they had no idea what to do with any of it, the entire mythology aspect of this film is really underwritten. Banks has damn near nothing to say or work with.

Anth0ny

the breakfast club stuff was a different take on getting the "teenagers with attitude" together. didn't hate it but I always loved the fact that the original power rangers were just intelligent, athletic, incredibly productive young people. they were role models whether they were in the suits or not. I guess that just an unrealistic thing in this dark and gritty world.

Billy was the most true to his original MMPR character and he was the star of the film imo.

my biggest gripes were the music, designs and the action/effects, which were literally the main reasons why I ever cared about Power Rangers. I honestly never cared that the characters were vanilla and two dimensional, the plots were completely silly and full of cheese... that didn't matter because once that guitar hit and the suits went on, asses were kicked and it was satisfying as fuck every time.

It's like this movie decided... ok fuck all that stuff, we need plot and character development! which is all well and good... but not when the suited action is 45 seconds of cgi iron man suits fighting generic cgi rock people with matrix-esque played out slow down during every kick or punch.

playing the mmpr theme for 10 seconds felt out of place when the rest of the score was just generic orchestrated music you hear in any other movie. they had an opportunity to really be unique with the score and there was none of that.

the suits were garbage, the individual zords were okay but the megazord itself looked awful, and goldar was a fucking joke. I didn't like rita either.

i really wanted to like this movie, too. on the bright side, I do think this lays a solid foundation down for future films. next movie definitely needs more action, though I don't have high hopes for any practical effects. I hope it does well enough to get a sequel, but beauty and the beast is probably going to wreck it this weekend and next.

cj_iwakura

This was a really good foundation, so I'm hoping the second movie has time for more straight up martial combat. (And Rita operating as an overseer like usual, heh.)

Movie met my expectations. I expected a watchable movie but nothing I would be excited about. Loved the fan service of the theme playing/morphin time/Kimberly and Tommy ending. Disliked the Megazord design but what can ya do. To me, Rita was over the top but didn't really ruin the scenes. Solid movie that I hope they build on.

Fuck Krispy Kreme.

Cyberius

One thing I loved that I haven't seen mentioned was the look on Rita's face after the Megazord formation. Either she was shocked the team was capable of forming the MZ, or, my favorite interpretation, that that was even possible.

"The fuck is that?"

LionPride

Banned
We fucking died when the Zeo Crystal was at Krispy Kreme. I just buried my face in my hamds and muttered Motherfucking Krispy Kreme

So I thought the movie was better then it had any right to be couple of my takeaways from the movie

-Loved the lore behind Zordon and Rita it made sense and made the story it's own

-Characters are far more developed then the original show they are no longer the perfect karate loving teens they have problems and flaws and have a clear arc in this movie

-Honoring allot of the goofiness of the original show including Ranger code,Zeo crystal,Morphing grid,Go go power rangers theme!

-Billy stole the show for me love this interpretation of the character

LionPride

Banned
When you say the sentence, the local former star QB almost decided to take this van from this random kid he met who is on the spectrum, Jason comes off as a dick

Pachimari

I didn't even know what Krispy Kreme was but I got it's a well known donut store in the US I gather.

Was still fun for the Zeo crystal to be hidden at a donut store of all places lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom