• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Power Rangers Twitch Marathon |OT3| Millions Dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterHero

I liked MMPRs1 morphed fight scenes, especially during the evil Tommy saga. The fights felt more raw to me. The monsters looked much more organic and the weapons weren't giant plastic crap things. Dunno how popular that choice will be. Maybe someone could post better fights?

I don't remember much of Lightspeed Rescue, but rangers like Carter fighting with a gun is much more practical than every single ranger knowing martial arts.

WillyFive

Any PR where Sakamoto has more hands-on is great, like RPM.

RPM is a poor representation of his talents, since that show was so low budget almost all fights took place on the same parking lot with super heavy use of shaky cam to mask it.

For best representation it would be Kyoryuger (or the parts that used Kyoryuger footage in Dino Charge).

jwk94

Ninja Steel returns August 12th!

Any PR where Sakamoto has more hands-on is great, like RPM.
But that shaky-cam.

Super Ninja Steel spoilers

They're planning some type of reunion for the 25th anniversary next year. We know past rangers are returning, but we don't know if they'll get cameo episodes or a team-up. So far we know the following rangers are coming back

- Kat (MMPR - Turbo Pink)
- Rocky (MMPR Red, Zeo Blue)
- Trent (Dino Thunder White)
- Tommy (MMPR Green & White, Zeo Red, Turbo Red, Dino Thunder Black)
- Wes (Time Force Red)
- Chip (Mystic Force Yellow)
- Antonio (Samurai Gold
- Koda (Dino Charge Blue)

Isn't coming
-Adam (MMPR Black, Zeo Green, Turbo Green)
- Tanya (Zeo - Turbo Yellow)
- Jen (Time Force Pink)
- Ziggy (RPM Green)
- Ivan (Dino Charge Gold)

MisterHero

Kat and Tommy will probably be married as they intended for Forever Red. So I expect some character development from at least these two. Hopefully for Rocky as well

jwk94

Watch Mojo just put out their list of Top 10 PR theme songs. Not a bad list,, but I would've put Ninja Storm higher than Steel, Zeo much higher up the list, and made In Space #1.

List order:
10. Ninja Storm
9. Ninja Steel
8. SPD
7. Zeo
6. Lightspeed Rescue
5. Dino Thunder
4. Time Force
3. Lost Galaxy
2. In Space
1. MMPR

Kat and Tommy will probably be married as they intended for Forever Red. So I expect some character development from at least these two. Hopefully for Rocky as well

Rocky will be with his computer partner from Zeo lol

WillyFive

What a terrible list, it doesn't even have Turbo, Time Force or Dino Charge.

Especially Turbo, which is probably the best of them all. And they included the Ninja Steel theme in there, which is stupidly badly written and has no tempo.

I liked MMPRs1 morphed fight scenes, especially during the evil Tommy saga. The fights felt more raw to me. The monsters looked much more organic and the weapons weren't giant plastic crap things. Dunno how popular that choice will be. Maybe someone could post better fights?

I don't remember much of Lightspeed Rescue, but rangers like Carter fighting with a gun is much more practical than every single ranger knowing martial arts.
There are people out there who believe splicing/relying on sentai footage is lazy and you need to make all American fights original new footage. These people are legitimately crazy.

Lightspeed Rescue and Time Force have fucking amazing American fight scenes, though.
What a terrible list, it doesn't even have Turbo, Time Force or Dino Charge.

Especially Turbo, which is probably the best of them all. And they included the Ninja Steel theme in there, which is stupidly badly written and has no tempo.
jwk94 fucked it up, here's the real list!

10 - Ninja Storm
9 - Ninja Steel
8 - SPD
7 - Zeo
6 - Lightspeed Rescue
5 - Dino Thunder
4 - Time Force
3 - Lost Galaxy
2 - In Space
1 - MMPR

Pretty laughable, I say. You can argue Lost Galaxy needing to be lower, but putting fucking NS, NS, and SPD over Turbo? Lmao, holy shit

jwk94

Lightspeed Rescue and Time Force have fucking amazing American fight scenes, though.

jwk94 fucked it up, here's the real list!

10 - Ninja Storm
9 - Ninja Steel
8 - SPD
7 - Zeo
6 - Lightspeed Rescue
5 - Dino Thunder
4 - Time Force
3 - Lost Galaxy
2 - In Space
1 - MMPR

Pretty laughable, I say. You can argue Lost Galaxy needing to be lower, but putting fucking NS, NS, and SPD over Turbo? Lmao, holy shit
Whoops, fixed. And Hell yeah Storm, and SPD are better than Turbo. Outside of that "shift in to turbo!" the song is kinda boring.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
RPM is a poor representation of his talents, since that show was so low budget almost all fights took place on the same parking lot with super heavy use of shaky cam to mask it.

For best representation it would be Kyoryuger (or the parts that used Kyoryuger footage in Dino Charge).

was talking specifically about PR stuff

I honestly don't remember much action in Dino Charge

also even original action stuff from Disney era PR are good, like Mystic Force

NEO0MJ

So I have a question about the original MMPR. I got the SOC Megazord a couple of weeks ago and it reminded me of something I often wonder about. Has the Megazord ever used the Mammoth shield in the show? I don't recall it ever showing up.

So I have a question about the original MMPR. I got the SOC Megazord a couple of weeks ago and it reminded me of something I often wonder about. Has the Megazord ever used the Mammoth shield in the show? I don't recall it ever showing up.

Yeah it was used pretty rarely IIRC, it shot an icy mist. I think someone actually made a clip with it during the marathon but I can't find it for the life of me.

EDIT: It was also used in one of the best MMPR moments

WillyFive

I can understand SPD; but you are gonna have to explain how the super flat Ninja Storm theme and the shoddy flow-less Ninja Steel theme is anywhere near the quality of the Turbo theme.

jwk94

I can understand SPD; but you are gonna have to explain how the super flat Ninja Storm theme and the shoddy flow-less Ninja Steel theme is anywhere near the quality of the Turbo theme.

Flat?! The Ninja Storm theme is great! Not only does it offer a brief intro for newcomers that perfectly transitions into the main theme, but it goes so well with the overall theme of EXTREME! sports and ninjas. The Turbo theme *goes to watch the Turbo opening* in addition to being forgettable, the song itself doesn't do much to set up the show.

WillyFive

Flat?! The Ninja Storm theme is great! Not only does it offer a brief intro for newcomers that perfectly transitions into the main theme, but it goes so well with the overall theme of EXTREME! sports and ninjas. The Turbo theme *goes to watch the Turbo opening* in addition to being forgettable, the song itself doesn't do much to set up the show.

Forgettable is a good description of the Ninja Storm theme, but certainly not the very hype and inventive Turbo theme. They use rock and roll to mimic engine sounds and use its melody to give the impression is traveling and adventure (so it sets up the car theme of the show excellently), but unlike the NS theme, it's fun and hype to listen to. If the Turbo theme happens during a fight, the fight becomes better. If the NS theme is placed during a fight, it messes it up and slows it down.

Ithil

A top ten is easy, there were far more than ten very good themes to choose from, you could throw many orders together and have any of them be acceptable. Look at how far you can go down the list of series before you find a bad theme, it's a ways.

Now, a bottom five would be more divisive. Bottom five, not ten, because there's not enough to fill a negative top ten. The bottom three would be pretty predictable even then, it's maybe 4 and 5 that would get divisive.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The Turbo theme *goes to watch the Turbo opening* in addition to being forgettable, the song itself doesn't do much to set up the show.

1-bat4ap4q_0xyfmnomankxumo.gif

Ithil

The best part of the Turbo part of the marathon apart from the pizza episode was everyone going OOOOoooOOOOoooOOOO during the intro.

jwk94

The best part of the Turbo part of the marathon apart from the pizza episode was everyone going OOOOoooOOOOoooOOOO during the intro.
It's all down from there though imo.

Forgettable is a good description of the Ninja Storm theme, but certainly not the very hype and inventive Turbo theme. They use rock and roll to mimic engine sounds and use its melody to give the impression is traveling and adventure (so it sets up the car theme of the show excellently), but unlike the NS theme, it's fun and hype to listen to. If the Turbo theme happens during a fight, the fight becomes better. If the NS theme is placed during a fight, it messes it up and slows it down.
We're gonna have to agree to disagree, then. I pretty much feel the same way about the Ninja Storm theme. I'll be watching Turbo here soon, so maybe my opinion will change.

A top ten is easy, there were far more than ten very good themes to choose from, you could throw many orders together and have any of them be acceptable. Look at how far you can go down the list of series before you find a bad theme, it's a ways.

Now, a bottom five would be more divisive. Bottom five, not ten, because there's not enough to fill a negative top ten. The bottom three would be pretty predictable even then, it's maybe 4 and 5 that would get divisive.
A bottom five would be pretty easy:

1) RPM
2) Megaforce
3) Wild Force
4) Alien Rangers??
5) Ok yeah this is pretty hard after those top three.

I still need to see this movie.

Ithil

It's all down from there though imo.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree, then. I pretty much feel the same way about the Ninja Storm theme. I'll be watching Turbo here soon, so maybe my opinion will change.

A bottom five would be pretty easy:

1) RPM
2) Megaforce
3) Wild Force
4) Alien Rangers??
5) Ok yeah this is pretty hard after those top three.

I still need to see this movie.

Someone is forgetting Operation Overdrive and Mystic Force. Perhaps in a fortunate turn of a events your minds had simply forced them out of memory.

jwk94

Someone is forgetting Operation Overdrive and Mystic Force. Perhaps in a fortunate turn of a events your minds had simply forced them out of memory.

Ok, outside of the first 5 seconds or so, the Mystic Force theme sucks. Overdrive, though, I actually kinda dig.

WillyFive

Overdrive tried something new, at least. I'd love to hear a good rap theme for Power Rangers or a superhero in general, but the OO theme was not that unfortunately.

jwk94

So I'm at "Game of Honor" in Zeo right now. Why is it that both Sean and Adam fight better than Tommy. Sean really should've been given a redemption arc and brought on as the Gold Ranger, rather than bringing back Jason. I mean dude even says he could become a Power Ranger in this episode.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I kinda wish the "intro" of Mystic Force was the whole song

that mystic-y music should have been permanent throughout the theme song

I like Mystic Force's theme and I think put it in my top 5 (at 5) Power Ranger openings way back in this thread. After listening to it enough, Operation Overdrive reached so bad it's good status for me. Bottom 3 are RPM, Samurai and Megaforce. After that it gets harder.

Ithil

I kinda wish the "intro" of Mystic Force was the whole song

that mystic-y music should have been permanent throughout the theme song

The R&B thing is not only unsuited to Power Rangers but it's especially unsuited to the particularly cheesy Mystic Force with its magic spells and corny fantasy aesthetic.

By contrast, Ninja Storm was not my favourite theme, and it's a little more Tony Hawk's Pro Skater than Power Rangers, but it absolutely suits Ninja Storm and communicates the season's tone and style.

Windam

Scaley member
Made a friend watch eps 1+2 of Mighty Morphin' and ep 1 of Lightspeed yesterday. Yeah, there needs to be another marathon. He didn't even watch the Twitch one but he started to do Rita's AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH right away.

jwk94

Made a friend watch eps 1+2 of Mighty Morphin' and ep 1 of Lightspeed yesterday. Yeah, there needs to be another marathon. He didn't even watch the Twitch one but he started to do Rita's AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH right away.
More importantly what did he think of lightspeed?

jwk94

Need your help Ranger Gaf. Trying to get my roommate to watch a season of power rangers with me. He's giving me one episode. He likes hi shows to have plot and character development. He also likes Arrow. I'm thinking first episode of RPM or Time Force. What do y'all think?

Looks better older than younger.
I kinda agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom