• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Power Rangers Twitch Marathon |OT3| Millions Dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwk94

I wish it was Mystic Force rather than RPM that was the network's "I don't care, just do whatever, you're getting shut down anyway" project. Way better source material, it's amazing what RPM pulled out of its hat.

He's one of those "sentai = bad" clowns I mention.

Anyways what are we gonna do for the PR thread? Do we need custom gifs, do we need to pull out funny pics, etc?
Getting a better version of Mystic Force that still retained the whole "magical world is a secret from the humans" would've been nice.

IDK what we're gonna do about a Power Rangers thread. We'd have to ask a mod. As someone else said, we'd either have to create a new one or just use this one.

Personally, I think we should just keep this one until we need a new one. This thread has the last bit of the chat for anyone to see and we've got all those Twitch things in the OP. Those clips still work, by the way. The quality is better than Netflix too. If needed, I can even add more info to the OP, so people aren't lost.

I just had a thought after seeing this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz-sNAsUN2k

I really wouldn't mind if they remastered OO, JF, and RPM all together and bundled them in a package. I know most of you would be it just for RPM lol

But seriously it would be nice to see since they seasons were shot on film then converted for SD broadcast. I love for them to digitally remaster the American footage and use the HD digital footage from the Sentai.
Doubt they'd do it, but I would buy the seasons instantly, cost be damned.

Maybe we ask a mod to rename this thread and turn it into the OT? Incorporate the Twitch marathon into the subtitle, and when we hit losing post count we start the first official PR thread??

xfactor99

Let's get this clear: Power Rangers Samurai wasn't bad because it was a 1:1 adaptation of the sentai (which I see a lot of western sentai-haters latch onto). Samurai was bad because it had terrible writers and directors at the helm.

The whole, "You've gotta be different from the sentai" crowd is so delusional and off base it's crazy.

I mean, I'm not one of the "it has to be very different from the Sentai" crowd, but I feel like the 1:1 adaptation of the sentai for Samurai was especially bad because of how Japanese Shinkenger was.

For example, when Shinkenger plays heavily on samurai traditions* and has the other 4 rangers be vassals to Red, and you translate that line for line for Power Rangers Samurai, you end up with the other 4 Rangers being all "we have to be loyal to Jayden, we have to serve Jayden and be by his side" etc etc which..comes across poorly when in the English version Blue, Green, Yellow, and Pink are all women and/or minorities. And also in how that kind of lord/vassal relationship isn't very present at all in American culture and history.

* note: I am not an expert on this subject, just going off of what was in the show

edit: ^^ Agree that we might as well keep this thread and see if we can get a mod to rename it.

My only request is when we make our new PR thread, we include in the OP the the link and gif of when Frankenstein beat the living piss out of the Power Rangers.

Franks%2BFor%2Bthe%2BMemories.gif

So in some magazine interview, Davi Santos (Dino Charge Gold) says he won't be back for the thing they have planned next year due to scheduling conflicts. He also said he thinks they're trying to get two people from each season to return. So with that in mind, who do you want back.

What is happening next year? And is that wishlist even feasible or is it gonna be another disappointing reunion like the Megaforce episode.

MisterHero

I don't really care how close to sentai a PR season is is. But when it's different, it can (but doesn't necessarily mean) that the American team put a lot more effort than just translating it.

PR then gets to build its own universe. They could have more alien teams, or humans settling on other planets, military operations that aren't rangers, etc. They could enter a little politics if they wanted to bring controversy back to the show... :eek:

The funny thing is that sentai probably already has all kinds of wacky themes, I can't set aside time to watch them all lol

WillyFive

I just want PR to be better than the Sentai, but that's something that has only arguably happened two or three times in the entire run. Despite extra time than Toei had, despite knowing what the toys will be, and knowing any flaws the Sentai show had, the PR team still constantly fails to not only improve upon the source material, they usually fail to live up to it.

It just seems like there's a total lack of empathy or care in the PR production team, whether it's from the higher ups or just a cultural thing within the production. We should be getting In Space/Time Force/RPM quality shows every year, not once a decade.

I just want PR to be better than the Sentai, but that's something that has only arguably happened two or three times in the entire run. Despite extra time than Toei had, despite knowing what the toys will be, and knowing any flaws the Sentai show had, the PR team still constantly fails to not only improve upon the source material, they usually fail to live up to it.

It just seems like there's a total lack of empathy or care in the PR production team, whether it's from the higher ups or just a cultural thing within the production. We should be getting In Space/Time Force/RPM quality shows every year, not once a decade.

Power Rangers always seems to be at it's best when it's about to be canceled (there are a couple exceptions of course).

It just seems like there's a total lack of empathy or care in the PR production team, whether it's from the higher ups or just a cultural thing within the production.
It's this. We have quotes from writers and staff members who have actually been told by the execs at Disney and Saban, "cut all this exposition stuff, it's a show for kids"

heart-breaking

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It sucks because you have hero shows right now with effort, and there have been children's shows where the audience isn't talked down.

though I heard Ninja Steel has lower ratings now?

Power Rangers always seems to be at it's best when it's about to be canceled (there are a couple exceptions of course).

Has there really been exceptions? Because Turbo did become good halfway through (finally embracing Carranger). Wild Force?

Ugh, I remember that. So much more annoying than "LUCKY!"

Nah both are especially annoying, but in different ways.

He's one of those "sentai = bad" clowns I mention.

The fuck, it's one thing not to like a person, it's another to espouse lies.

Jeez, that "I don't care for Sentai, PR should stand on its own" line mutated into some form of monster.

Regiruler

I wish it was Mystic Force rather than RPM that was the network's "I don't care, just do whatever, you're getting shut down anyway" project. Way better source material, it's amazing what RPM pulled out of its hat.

I think part of what made RPM so surreal was how different its source material was.

Toxi

Banned
Let's get this clear: Power Rangers Samurai wasn't bad because it was a 1:1 adaptation of the sentai (which I see a lot of western sentai-haters latch onto). Samurai was bad because it had terrible writers and directors at the helm.

The whole, "You've gotta be different from the sentai" crowd is so delusional and off base it's crazy.

Just as an example, take Mystic Force. Keep the family theme. Make it so that an older woman (who is the white ranger) is the adoptive mother of the five rangers, who are of different backgrounds. Dedicate the first 4 or so episodes of her mentoring the rangers, with some fresh new footage of her in the suit kicking ass; and then in the fifth episode take Wolzard (oh.... I mean, Koragg) and have him kill her. Not knock Udonna out of her ranger form... he slays her like in the sentai. It establishes a vile foe, it gives the five rangers a deep grudge to get revenge, it draws the viewers in, and it makes the white ranger's reappearance at killing Buranken/Morticon all the sweeter.

why u no can do dis
What exactly is the point of doing a 1:1 translation of the Sentai when the Sentai already exists? I get the point for kids/business, but for everyone else all it means is you get a worse version of the Sentai.

WillyFive

What exactly is the point of doing a 1:1 translation of the Sentai when the Sentai already exists? I get the point for kids, but for everyone else all it means is you get a worse version of the Sentai.

When you have a really great Sentai, why not do a 1:1 translation? Remember, children and most audiences can't watch both, they can only watch what is shown in their country. You don't necessarily get a worse version; you can always get a better written version, and/or a better acted version, and/or a better edited and choreographed version of the same exact story.

Boss Doggie

Only the 1st half though; I don't feel it's worth it if it falls apart in the second half.

I thought the first half is pretty good as a standalone without needing to watch DSC

When you have a really great Sentai, why not do a 1:1 translation? Remember, children and most audiences can't watch both, they can only watch what is shown in their country. You don't necessarily get a worse version; you can always get a better written version, and/or a better acted version, and/or a better edited and choreographed version of the same exact story.

Yeah especially the last one, particularly when Sakamoto was a PR action director back then. Like, you could immediately tell which is Sentai fight and which is PR fight like say in Mystic Force.

Did he sever ties with PR production?

Boss Doggie

Does it have a satisfying conclusion? For the first season, I mean.

In some ways yeah, since there is a proper season ending and finale unlike Samurai and Mega Force.
Ship blows up and crashes, everyone goes to their separate ways. You still get the usual season cliffhanger though.

Yeah especially the last one, particularly when Sakamoto was a PR action director back then. Like, you could immediately tell which is Sentai fight and which is PR fight like say in Mystic Force.

Did he sever ties with PR production?
From what I gather, Sakamoto went back to Japan, as his name is appearing in recent tokusatsu credits and nothing domestic I see.

What I want to know is what the nucleus for Lightspeed Rescue through Time Force was. Easily the greatest period of US Power Rangers action we've seen in terms of production value and choreography. Maybe it was Sakamoto before they unleashed his Hong Kong style....

jwk94

From what I gather, Sakamoto went back to Japan, as his name is appearing in recent tokusatsu credits and nothing domestic I see.

What I want to know is what the nucleus for Lightspeed Rescue through Time Force was. Easily the greatest period of US Power Rangers action we've seen in terms of production value and choreography. Maybe it was Sakamoto before they unleashed his Hong Kong style....

Ugh, those Lightspeed Rescue fights were some god-tier stuff. Dana fighting Ryan in those suits remains one of my favourite American fights in PR.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Whelp, looks we are indeed getting something for the 25th anniversary. Here's a shirt and thank you note to the crew. Is that a Ninin villain on the shirt?

This comes from No Pink Spandex's Facebook.

Yeah, he's from the Summer movie.
No idea if he's a one shot or they'll treat him like Snide in Dino Super Charge (then again, they didn't take advantage of him, barely using him)

Boss Doggie

Yeah Sakamoto has been with the PR crew from the start, makes me think he did those handywork

But yeah seems like after RPM he went back to Japan and never came backf or PR stuff anymore, though I heard he was called for a few shots in Super Mega Force that weren't used?

jwk94

So Episode 10 is the 25th anniversary teamup/crossover?
Seems like it. Means we probably won't get the teamup until August or September. That said, we might get some cameos beforehand.

Yeah Sakamoto has been with the PR crew from the start, makes me think he did those handywork

But yeah seems like after RPM he went back to Japan and never came backf or PR stuff anymore, though I heard he was called for a few shots in Super Mega Force that weren't used?
That still hurts. I want to see that footage.

MisterHero

All this action is happening in the middle of 2018. A year away.

Not to mention Nick's godawful scheduling for everything other than Spongebob (and Loud House I guess; fun show)

WillyFive

All this action is happening in the middle of 2018. A year away.

Not to mention Nick's godawful scheduling for everything other than Spongebob (and Loud House I guess; fun show)

And to think, in an alternative timeline the Ninninger adaptation would have finished airing a year ago and we would be almost halfway done watching the Zyuohger adaptation, while already knowing the name and getting set photos of the Kyuranger adaptation; just like things were during the Disney and first Saban era.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
See this is why Saban needs to get away from Nickelodeon.
It's bad enough we lost Go-Busters and ToQger (and likely Zyuohger) but the slow-ass schedule really kills the momentum.
It gets worse when during the hiatus, the entire season airs in France within a couple weeks.

jwk94

And to think, in an alternative timeline the Ninninger adaptation would have finished airing a year ago and we would be almost halfway done watching the Zyuohger adaptation, while already knowing the name and getting set photos of the Kyuranger adaptation; just like things were during the Disney and first Saban era.
Kyuranger would've made one hell of a 25th anniversary season.

See this is why Saban needs to get away from Nickelodeon.
It's bad enough we lost Go-Busters and ToQger (and likely Zyuohger) but the slow-ass schedule really kills the momentum.
It gets worse when during the hiatus, the entire season airs in France within a couple weeks.

Fuck it. jwk94 and I will start a Kickstarter for everyone who liked RPM and wants some good Power Rangers. jwk94 can be producer and I'll be director. With Rangers-GAF as the putty stunt doubles.

Boss Doggie

Though I guess in Super Megaforce they did use the episode that Sakamoto directed (the one where they used the Goonger wheels as a weapon, a pure RPM thing

Fuck it. jwk94 and I will start a Kickstarter for everyone who liked RPM and wants some good Power Rangers. jwk94 can be producer and I'll be director. With Rangers-GAF as the putty stunt doubles.

We need Sakamoto though!

jwk94

So Razzle on Twitter found a picture of what appears to be (Super Ninja Steel spoilers)
Chase (Dino Charge Black) in New Zealand with Ninja Steel Yellow. Chase's actor is from New Zealand, so that shouldn't be a surprise, but they're both wearing their colors so they could be filming for next year's event. I believe filming for cameos or whatever they have going on is supposed to happen this month

If they're doing some big 25th anniversary event for Super Ninja Steel would you prefer Gokaiger-style cameos or a giant team-up? Personally, I'd only want a team-up if we could get a whole team to come back. Otherwise, just give me cameos (spread throughout the season) that update us on what the rangers have been up to.

Regiruler

You know how you got points or whatever for watching the marathon? Apparently the company that handled it is shutting down without having done anything.

I don't think they were used for anything at all.

WillyFive

Saban confirmed that Super Ninja Steel will be an anniversary season and have returning Rangers.

Featuring the tagline "Since 1993 – 25 Powerful Years", the Power Rangers 25th anniversary celebrations will include:
Power Rangers Super Ninja Steel, the 25th overall Power Rangers season, which will feature returning cast members
New Power Rangers Legacy toys by Bandai
New mythology stories by BOOM! Studios
An ultimate visual history book from Insight Editions
Live, location-based events with details to follow

You know how you got points or whatever for watching the marathon? Apparently the company that handled it is shutting down without having done anything.

I didn't even know you got points at all.

jwk94

I didn't know there were points.

Speaking of returning rangers...spoiler of set pics!
Rocky, Trent, Wes, and Antonio all appear to be coming back. They were all spotted in a snapchat video from New Zealand.
Via: Twitter

That twitter post also has quite a few BTS pics.

I didn't know there were points.

Speaking of returning rangers...spoiler of set pics!
Rocky, Trent, Wes, and Antonio all appear to be coming back. They were all spotted in a snapchat video from New Zealand.
Via: Twitter

That twitter post also has quite a few BTS pics.

Rocky? Really? Of all the MMPR era rangers, they go with him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom