• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Power Rangers Twitch Marathon |OT3| Millions Dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure ????

Gokaiger maybe ...?
You kinda saw Gokaiger failing as Power Rangers coming, though (albeit not quite as spectacularly). You know you wouldn't have Luka or Marvelous, you knew there'd be licensing and contract/appearance issues with Saban, you knew "FIIIIIIIINAL WAAAVE!" wouldn't be there to hype you the fuck up, etc.

In a nutshell... I appropriately went into it with ZERO hopes.

Mystic Force, on the other hand, could have been legitimately good. The premise had a lot of flexibility, you had a TON of characters to draw from the Sentai, the actual aesthetic of both the ranger suits and the Infershia costumes were all wicked.
But the show sucked. That theme song sucked, the show revolving around Nick sucked, there was some pretty bad casting (Koragg's voice actor was atrocious), etc. Granted it wasn't Samurai levels of bad... but it was still bad nonetheless.

Just a reminder that Shout Factory has officially released the Gekisou Sentai Carranger boxset today. See the original context of Turbo's strangest moments, including the time they were baked into a pizza.

gokaichange__carranger_by_dragonrupieach-d493572.gif

oh wait...

tumblr_ngrvqc9U311tmuezxo1_250.gif

tumblr_ngrvqc9U311tmuezxo2_400.gif

1ef.gif

fucking love Carranger

I was watching some video on Carranger explaining how there was this fangirl from outer space who became Carranger White except in a shitty white dress and she was sisters with one of the villains. Also that villain and the Red Ranger had a thing for each other. Seems like an even weirder show than I thought.

Wasn't the silliness of Carranger the result of Toei diluting the violent and dark aspects of Super Sentai after those Subway Sarin attacks in Japan?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wasn't the silliness of Carranger the result of Toei diluting the violent and dark aspects of Super Sentai after those Subway Sarin attacks in Japan?

That was during Ohranger. Ohranger was supposed to be serious but then that thing happened so they retooled the show.

Boss Doggie

One thing I really hate about twitch though is regardless of quality of the stream, I always get random pausing and hiccups.

jwk94

Just a reminder that Shout Factory has officially released the Gekisou Sentai Carranger boxset today. See the original context of Turbo's strangest moments, including the time they were baked into a pizza.
Did I ever tell you about the time I was baked into a giant pizza?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Done with Mystic Force. It's very strong yet it feels like they didn't get all of the Magiranger rights. So much Nick. And he sucks. It's not the actor's fault but the character is nigh unwatchable. Leanbow should have replaced him straight up. It's one of those seasons that is good in spite of the Red Ranger. Really liked the non-Nick core. And I loved the fantasy theme of it all. A very good season.

Pretty sure I only liked RPM from the upcoming stuff. It sucks man T_T

MechaX

I looked up this site, but oh shit, they got Zyuranger, Dairanger, Kakuranger, and Ohranger complete sets too?

Shit... I don't know which one to pick (and no, I can't get all of them).

xfactor99

A page late but agreeing with everyone who had a newfound love for Ninja Storm. At the time it was airing I liked Dino Thunder more, in retrospect no idea what I was thinking. Maybe Ninja Storm's comedy is better when you're an adult.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
A page late but agreeing with everyone who had a newfound love for Ninja Storm. At the time it was airing I liked Dino Thunder more, in retrospect no idea what I was thinking. Maybe Ninja Storm's comedy is better when you're an adult.

Ninja Storm was so good. Easily Top 5 seasons.

MechaX

Yeah, this marathon turned me around on Ninja Storm. I wasn't super fond of it when I was younger, but when rewatching it, I realized how much it didn't actually take itself seriously and had some actually very well written gags and jokes. Plus, Dino Thunder aged way worse than I thought it would, so that sucks.

Carranger

Yeah, I'm leaning Carranger and Dairanger at this point. I do want to watch Ohranger because I want to see how serious and depressing shit was compared to the American version of Rocky taking L's all day long.

jwk94

Watching Zeo right now. I love how they can't decide what they wanna use as a morph call. Also, Skull is acting circles around everyone, man.

Done with Mystic Force. It's very strong yet it feels like they didn't get all of the Magiranger rights. So much Nick. And he sucks. It's not the actor's fault but the character is nigh unwatchable. Leanbow should have replaced him straight up. It's one of those seasons that is good in spite of the Red Ranger. Really liked the non-Nick core. And I loved the fantasy theme of it all. A very good season.

Pretty sure I only liked RPM from the upcoming stuff. It sucks man T_T
You didn't like Jungle Fury?

I looked up this site, but oh shit, they got Zyuranger, Dairanger, Kakuranger, and Ohranger complete sets too?

Go for Dairanger!!! You can't beat kung-fu, nut shots, and great villain x ranger relationships.

ShadyK54

Revisited the Quantum Ranger debut on Youtube earlier.

That debut is still so damn awesome. Eric just standing up amongst the rubble after the morph, the theme, the fight with Brickneck afterwards...so so good.

jdstorm

Banned

Dino Thunder had some rough parts. But Kira is a legitimately great ranger and Trent was an above average special ranger. They carried the series. Also it was the first return to a somewhat normal High School since MMPR which was a nice change.

Ninja Storm also wasn't very good until its later half with the Thunder Rangers and Cam. If you tuned out before then you may not fully appreciate Ninja Storm.

Pluto

Kakuranger or Carranger. Or wait for Megaranger (will be released in August), it's awesome.

jwk94

So in some magazine interview, Davi Santos (Dino Charge Gold) says he won't be back for the thing they have planned next year due to scheduling conflicts. He also said he thinks they're trying to get two people from each season to return. So with that in mind, who do you want back?

My wishlist:

- MMPR S1 - Jason and Zack (or Kim)
- MMPR S2 - Tommy and Kat (or Billy)
- MMPR S3 - Billy and Rocky (or bring Aisha back from Africa lol)
- Alien Rangers - Delphine and Cestro (realistically, it'll most likely be Delphine and Orico even though Cestro did all the work).
- Zeo - Adam and Tanya (or Kat)
- Turbo - Adam or Kat if they don't get chosen for Zeo
In Space - Andros and Zhane/Karone or TJ and Cassie
- Lost Galaxy - Leo and Kendrix (or anyone with Leo, really)
- Lightpseed Rescue - Dana and Ryan or Ryan and Kelsey (highly doubt they'd bring her back though) Either way, Ryan absolutely has to be there.
- Time Force - Wes and Eric (Jen already said she can't =/)
- Wild Force - >.> umm....Danny and Max? Alyssa and Taylor? I really don't know with this one. Taylor was cool, though so I guess she has to be there.
- Ninja Storm - Fuck it, the whole team. Bring em all back. If not, at least the core 3.
- Dino Thunder - Ethan and Trent. Those two are always together at conventions, so I don't see why they wouldn't come for this. Hell, grab Kira too. Conner's actor is directing I guess, so he probably wouldn't make it. Say he's busy with soccer or something.
- SPD - Everyone or at least Cruger and Jack. Or maybe Cruger and Kat. Kat was cool. Wouldn't be shocked by a Boom cameo or reference of some sort since Kelson Henderson, Boom's actor, is in Ninja Steel
- Mystic Force - Xander and Chip (or Claire. She was cool)
- Operation Overdrive - Rose and Ronnie?? Anyone with Rose works
- Jungle Fury - RJ with anyone or just get the whole squad back together.
- RPM - In a perfect world, everyone would come. Sadly, most of em are busy with bigger things (Ziggy said he definitely can't come), so Gem and Gemma or one of them with Dr. K.
- Samurai - Antonio and Mike. I wanna say Jayden, but he just came back for Super Megaforce.
- Megafroce - Orion and Jake (or Noah. Dude would get a kick outta the UFO zord)
- Dino Charge - We already know that Yoshi is down there for SOMETHING so....Koda and Kendall (or Tyler).

Pluto

I don't think they'll actually bring back 2 characters from each seasons, that would be way too much and the majority would be reduced to non speaking cameos by necessity unless they do a three hour special.

That said, here's my wishlist (I don't care if some of them are unrealistic ;) ) and btw, I'll not split MMPR into three seasons and Alien Rangers wasn't a season so they're out.

MMPR: Jason and Kim
Zeo: Adam and Kat
Turbo: Tanya and Rocky
Space: T.J. and Ashley
Lost Galaxy: Damon and Maya
Lightspeed Rescue: Carter and Dana
Time Force: Wes and Jen
Wild Force: Alyssa and Taylor
Ninja Storm: Shane and Tori
DinoThunder: Kira and Ethan
SPD: Sky and Syd
Mystic Force: Chip and Xander
Operation Overdrive: Mack and Rose
Jungle Fury: Lily and R.J.
RPM: Flynn and Dillon
Samurai: Jayden and Antonio
Megaforce: Jake and Gia
Dino Charge: Koda and Kendall

More realistically I think they're trying to get two from each Saban brands team plus someone from MMPR ignoring everything in between, that would be a managable number of returning characters.

MisterHero

wasn't there a screencap of Ninja Steel Red with Shane and Aurico? Or is that from the sentai? *shakes head*

Anyways if they were going that far to bring back so many actors I'd rather just do a full season dedicated to past rangers (and throw in Megaforce team, they deserve a better story arc).

The Twitch marathon definitely inspired me to write PR fanfiction about the old guys. All I know is that it'd be too awesome expensive to pitch to Saban. >_>

I can't choose between any of the MMPR and Zeo cast; it's just too hard. I want as many as they can. PR nostalgia doesn't center around JDF, I was there before he showed up. ;P

By the way does anyone want a PR community thread? I kinda want one to filter some "sentai >> PR eliteness" out (just kidding... maybe :p). It's nice to acknowledge the sentai, but PR does its own nice stuff too. Even MMPR Season 1 (a hill I'd be willing to die on, by the way). I'm all for keeping this thread alive too, whatever you want.

WillyFive

wasn't there a screencap of Ninja Steel Red with Shane and Aurico? Or is that from the sentai? *shakes head*

Yes, that's from Ninninger.

tumblr_nn91o6VvJD1taksrro1_500.gif

By the way does anyone want a PR community thread? I kinda want one to filter some "sentai >> PR eliteness" out (just kidding... maybe :p). It's nice to acknowledge the sentai, but PR does its own nice stuff too. Even MMPR Season 1 (a hill I'd be willing to die on, by the way). I'm all for keeping this thread alive too, whatever you want.

Considering the Twitch thread is still around, it might be something to think about.

jwk94

I think having a dedicated Power Rangers thread would be a pretty good idea, even if it's only bumped every once in a while. You can't really talk about PR in the Toku thread since that's mostly focused on Japanese Toku. Say something about PR and you'll get maybe a reply or two.

I think having a dedicated Power Rangers thread would be a pretty good idea, even if it's only bumped every once in a while. You can't really talk about PR in the Toku thread since that's mostly focused on Japanese Toku. Say something about PR and you'll get maybe a reply or two.
I still haven't watched RPM and I'm way behind on PR, but I'd gladly participate in that community if you wanna start one.

I'm already steaming at the waste of Mystic Force and how it could have been a billion times better.

Boke1879

Yea I'm all for some sort of PR community thread or just keeping this one alive.

I'll most likely be checking out/finishing some of the other seasons I missed out on and it would be nice to drop some thoughts from time to time and have some good conversation.

Oh, didn't know this thread was still being used. I actually caught a few episodes of Ninja Steel because I was still on a Power Rangers high after the marathon. Sadly, it was back to Samurai and Megaforce quality. Yeah, I won't be watching it again lol.

G-Fex

yeah RPM's finale didn't really do it for me.

Guess Time Force is the one with the most epic finale next to space and Lightspeed Rescue

Boke1879

yeah RPM's finale didn't really do it for me.

Guess Time Force is the one with the most epic finale next to space and Lightspeed Rescue

I really need to watch both Lightspeed and Time Force. Caught enough of them to know I'll like them, but I gotta watch it all.

Boss Doggie

Oh, didn't know this thread was still being used. I actually caught a few episodes of Ninja Steel because I was still on a Power Rangers high after the marathon. Sadly, it was back to Samurai and Megaforce quality. Yeah, I won't be watching it again lol.

from what I heard it's still better than Ninninger

jwk94

I still haven't watched RPM and I'm way behind on PR, but I'd gladly participate in that community if you wanna start one.

I'm already steaming at the waste of Mystic Force and how it could have been a billion times better.
Someone hasn't seen Super Megaforce!

Man, I don't even know which series that's doing a disservice to: Samurai with its decent story or Megaforce with its kickass fights and flash morphs. Either way, they're both better than Ninja Steel.

from what I heard it's still better than Ninninger

Damn. Didn't realize Ninin got that bad. Really should've just been a Shinkenger 2.0

xfactor99

I'd be down for a PR community thread. If anyone needs help, I can contribute to it, since I've seen most of the seasons and have been a member of the fanbase since 2000, so I can help out with FAQ's and stuff.

I just did a quick google search, and wow the Sentai fanbase hated Ninninger lol. Sounds like the source material ain't gonna save Ninja Steel.

WillyFive

Ninja Steel and Ninninger are just like Wild Force/Gaoranger, OO/Boukenger, and Megaforce/Goseiger; both versions suck.
Also, MMPR/Zyuranger.

Let's get this clear: Power Rangers Samurai wasn't bad because it was a 1:1 adaptation of the sentai (which I see a lot of western sentai-haters latch onto). Samurai was bad because it had terrible writers and directors at the helm.

The whole, "You've gotta be different from the sentai" crowd is so delusional and off base it's crazy.

Just as an example, take Mystic Force. Keep the family theme. Make it so that an older woman (who is the white ranger) is the adoptive mother of the five rangers, who are of different backgrounds. Dedicate the first 4 or so episodes of her mentoring the rangers, with some fresh new footage of her in the suit kicking ass; and then in the fifth episode take Wolzard (oh.... I mean, Koragg) and have him kill her. Not knock Udonna out of her ranger form... he slays her like in the sentai. It establishes a vile foe, it gives the five rangers a deep grudge to get revenge, it draws the viewers in, and it makes the white ranger's reappearance at killing Buranken/Morticon all the sweeter.

why u no can do dis

Boss Doggie

Let's get this clear: Power Rangers Samurai wasn't bad because it was a 1:1 adaptation of the sentai (which I see a lot of western sentai-haters latch onto). Samurai was bad because it had terrible writers and directors at the helm.

The whole, "You've gotta be different from the sentai" crowd is so delusional and off base it's crazy.

Just as an example, take Mystic Force. Keep the family theme. Make it so that an older woman (who is the white ranger) is the adoptive mother of the five rangers, who are of different backgrounds. Dedicate the first 4 or so episodes of her mentoring the rangers, with some fresh new footage of her in the suit kicking ass; and then in the fifth episode take Wolzard (oh.... I mean, Koragg) and have him kill her. Not knock Udonna out of her ranger form... he slays her like in the sentai. It establishes a vile foe, it gives the five rangers a deep grudge to get revenge, it draws the viewers in, and it makes the white ranger's reappearance at killing Buranken/Morticon all the sweeter.

why u no can do dis

I mean, just say Lightspeed Rescue and Time Force as a counterargument to people saying PR can't be 1:1 :p

Well there's your problem right there! Disney would've shut that shit down, quick.
I wish it was Mystic Force rather than RPM that was the network's "I don't care, just do whatever, you're getting shut down anyway" project. Way better source material, it's amazing what RPM pulled out of its hat.
Linkara is awful
He's one of those "sentai = bad" clowns I mention.

Anyways what are we gonna do for the PR thread? Do we need custom gifs, do we need to pull out funny pics, etc?

I just had a thought after seeing this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz-sNAsUN2k

I really wouldn't mind if they remastered OO, JF, and RPM all together and bundled them in a package. I know most of you would be it just for RPM lol

But seriously it would be nice to see since they seasons were shot on film then converted for SD broadcast. I love for them to digitally remaster the American footage and use the HD digital footage from the Sentai.

why u no can do dis

During the stream, someone on another site compared Shinkenger->Samurai to 4kids doing a hack job on a shounen anime and that describes it perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom