• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predators... with Adrien Brody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teh Hamburglar said:
Vampires or is JJ Abrams directing that scene?

Then JJ came up with this idea; he would stand at an angle and - using his hand and a torch, direct flashes of light straight into the lens. This other time he stood next to the camera-man and shook it - creating the illusion of turbulence. He is a true visonary.

cryptic

Scullibundo said:
Then JJ came up with this idea; he would stand at an angle and - using his hand and a torch, direct flashes of light straight into the lens. This other time he stood next to the camera-man and shook it - creating the illusion of turbulence. He is a true visonary.
Dick in my face unhappy place.

spidye

Scullibundo said:
oh no, you didn't.
you did not just make fun of star trek. :mad:

spidye said:
oh no, you didn't.
you did not just make fun of star trek. :mad:

Nah not making fun, I love it and own it. I just found it funny when one of the crew one the making of documentary said that like it had never been done before (the shaking).

Sabotage

arniefreeze1.gif

The predators look odd, they seem almost naked.

The AVP preds did look awful, huge bulky masses of ugly. Though the predator in AVP2 actually looked bad ass and more like the original.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
demon said:
I'm sure he'll be bulking up. Some of you sure are aching to see some big bulging muscular dudes with their shirts off...
Yes Please! Half the win of the original. Hell that was the fucking point. Guys who could crush your skull with one hand getting their ass kicked by the mother fucking predator.

Dead Man

Without the rest of their armour the helmets make them look like retarded lizard babies. Do not want. Give them all the armour or none. Or just make them the same as the original.

BattleMonkey said:
The predators look odd, they seem almost naked.

The AVP preds did look awful, huge bulky masses of ugly. Though the predator in AVP2 actually looked bad ass and more like the original.

Maybe they don't use as much tech on their homeworld?

After all these years, the first Predator is still the best looking one on screen.

And going from badasses to sadasses sucks. The last Predator films saddled us all with "who gives a damn" characters" and we had the motherf'n goverator bulking in the original. Even if the new one succeeds it will fail in comparison.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
I love that opinions are being formed about the film via shitty digital camera shots on a set. I have a feeling this is going to surprise a lot of people this year.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Teh Hamburglar said:
Dont really care. Its a Predators movie. The humans are not the stars.
I really wished I hadn't came into this thread and read this, it could not be more wrong.

Roders5

Teh Hamburglar said:
How am I wrong in a movie called PREDATOR?
It just shows a lack of understanding of what makes a great movie. Terminator, Alien, Predator, all these movies were named after the non-human entity, yet the reason they are all classics is because of the human characters and how memorable they were. It's also the reason why things like avp and transformers suck major ass, just throwing shit at the screen means nothing if no one gives a fuck about the people on screen.

I don't know about you all, but I always thought that Anna was pretty hot. Arnold seemed to have a thing for hispanic ladies in those days: Predator, The Running Man and Total Recall.

Funny thing, I'm watching the original Predator right now. Arguably the greatest action movie of all time.

Brody reminds me a little of Poncho for some reason.

Teh Hamburglar said:
How am I wrong in a movie called PREDATOR?

It's not Friday the 13th. Or at least, it shouldn't be. All of the characters in the original Predator were memorable. Can you even name any of the characters in AvP2?

Try the same game for Aliens and Alien Resurrection.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
It's not Friday the 13th. Or at least, it shouldn't be. All of the characters in the original Predator were memorable. Can you even name any of the characters in AvP2?

Aha, there was a guy named Dallas!
Of course I only remember that cause of Tom Skerritt in Alien.

G-Fex

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Avp2 is the most god awful piece of shit i've seen this side of Transformers 2. It was so dark it made Doom 3 look bright, the characters were stupid fucking fucks out of some random yearly made horror movie, the whole thing was pretty much set up like a fucking stupid horror movie involving aliens. Oh but one guy uses the predator gun...

GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE.

Roders5 said:
It just shows a lack of understanding of what makes a great movie. Terminator, Alien, Predator, all these movies were named after the non-human entity, yet the reason they are all classics is because of the human characters and how memorable they were. It's also the reason why things like avp and transformers suck major ass, just throwing shit at the screen means nothing if no one gives a fuck about the people on screen.

I agree with you that movies begin and end with the character. Except that Predator movies have never been about the humans. They are a device. Terminator was different in that we actually get development. We get to see who they are before they start the journey. We see Sarah Connor on her pink moped and transform into Ripley's great great great great great great crazy but kickass grandmother.

Predator we jump right in and its about humans vs Predator. Thats all we need to know before we star the journey. So to me Predator movies have been about building suspense and creating thrills and scares by pitting human hunter against superior enemies. Thats what interests me

Roders5

Teh Hamburglar said:
Except that Predator movies have never been about the humans. They are a device
Have you actually watched predator? Serious question. It's the exact opposite to what you wrote, the predator is the device, the movie is about how the characters cope with an unknown enemy and hopeless situation.

Roders5 said:
Have you actually watched predator? Serious question. It's the exact opposite to what you wrote, the predator is the device, the movie is about how the characters cope with an unknown enemy and hopeless situation.

Yes. I'm trying to bullshit about a movie I've never seen on an internet message board. :-|

Moving on...

Gotta disagree with Hamburglar on the "humans are irrelevant" argument too. The first Predator does a GREAT job of establishing its human cast before they even come into contact with the titular character. They could've all been generic "badass commando" types, cannon fodder for the creature; but instead, each one is highly unique in their visual appearance and personality, so viewers get to know them in a short amount of time.

Honestly that's part of what makes Predator such a great action film. A strong cast of strong, varied personalities.

Teh Hamburglar said:
Pfft, i just watched it on AMC the other day in fact. I don't care about the human protagonists. I just want to see Predators maiming and killing.

You watched it on AMC, so it was butchered to hell. That was your first problem. And the Predator maiming and killing has no impact unless it has good actors or characters to stalk. Think about it, the Predator (as a movie monster) has an impressive number of kills:
Carl Weathers
Jesse Ventura
Bill Duke
Gary Busey
Ruben Blades
Bill Paxton

but they are dumb enough to take on Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny Glover.

Clevinger

Lionheart1827 said:
I'd rather have Hicks and Hudson in this movie than that pretty boy up above. Fuck, even the latino girl and Ripley in Aliens were manlier than this weenie.

I don't remember Paxton being manly or ripped or anything in Aliens, though it has been a while since I saw it. Besides, most of the dudes in Aliens and Predator are really cheesy soldier cliches. In that pic up there, Brody looks like someone you might actually find in the army.

Teh Hamburglar said:
Yes. I'm trying to bullshit about a movie I've never seen on an internet message board. :-|

Moving on...

It sure as hell seems that way. You do know that we aren't even introduced to the Predator (via his p.o.v) until around 40 minutes into the film.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Teh Hamburglar said:
I agree with you that movies begin and end with the character. Except that Predator movies have never been about the humans. They are a device. Terminator was different in that we actually get development. We get to see who they are before they start the journey. We see Sarah Connor on her pink moped and transform into Ripley's great great great great great great crazy but kickass grandmother.

I don't really like Ripley nor Connor after the first movie in each of their series. :lol

Ripley goes from a more realistic character in 1. She definitely had faults, and didn't even start off all too likable. To fucking Jesus Christ in 2. Where it is the typical lead where everything she does is the correct choice that pleases the audience. To 3 where she ended up being some goddamn Martyr. To 4 where it was just...LOL WTF!

And how Connor ends T1 allot more mature and composed to Batshit fucking insane in T2.

JdFoX187 said:
If this takes place on the Predator homeworld, why are the predators wearing their breathing masks?

There not breathing masks, the Predators didn't need them to breath, they were just armor, with targeting systems, multiple view modes, digital recording, blah blah blah.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BattleMonkey said:
There not breathing masks, the Predators didn't need them to breath, they were just armor, with targeting systems, multiple view modes, digital recording, blah blah blah.

But the Predator does remove an airtight sequence of seals to remove the helmet.

Explain why.

OuterWorldVoice said:
But the Predator does remove an airtight sequence of seals to remove the helmet.

Explain why.

Keeps the helmet icy cool. Better to pick up heat signatures with.
At least that is what I imagine it was for.

OuterWorldVoice said:

Explain why.

Airtight seals? Hardly when the back the predators heads stick out on most of their helmets and many just slip off. Unhooking tubes that shoot out some gas does not mean airtight. Predators in all the movies are shown without their helmets without issue.

duckroll

OuterWorldVoice said:

Explain why.

The best explanation I can have is that the Predators are like artificial shelled species. Their culture and technology is all based on warfare and combat, but yet as a biological race they are weaker than normal and probably pretty vulnerable to harsh conditions and physical harm. So to make up for all this, they wear full body armor at all time, created to seal their weaker bodies within a fortress of weaponry which both protects them from any environmental or physical threat, but also enhances their combat abilities with scanners and aiming utilities.

As such, it does not matter whether they are on their home planet, or on any other planet, or even fighting in space itself. They will always wear their armor, and the helmets will remain airtight to protect them best from ANY possible form of danger. Looking at the actual design of the species, it makes a lot of sense too. The predators look very jelly/crab like when unmasked, and it looks like you can just step on them and squish their faces. The Aliens on the other hand, are naturally armored and designed like giant space scorpions.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Dear god I can't believe I'm going to say this... Arguing online on useless movie shit...but here I go

Their Atmosphere is similar enough to earth's so they are capable to adapting to it. But it is like us trying to breath up in the higher Atmosphere most likely. It has it's difficulties. Their has a bit more nitrogen if I recall. Hence the mask does allow them to take in more nitrogen. This also means Humans could probably breath on their world also.

Now, Even on their own world. They would probably still wear the masks if they are hunting something. It does have all their vision spreads, + links to to their guns and such. Not to mention it is still armour for the head.

Also, to note they are only capable of being on earth when it gets extremely hot. This hints at our bodies at a bit more adaptable then their's since they can't really adapt to cold weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom