• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press Reactions to Wonder Woman

Beartruck

I'm curious if there will be blatant sexism from the internet in regards to this movie. My jedi senses tell me yes, and it will be bad.
Probably yes unfortunately. That stuff got so bad with the ghostbusters movie that it was almost impossible to sort legitimate criticism from the bile. I don't really care about wonder woman, but if this ends up being basically a good female captain america 1ish movie ill give it a view.

SS, Ok, but MoS? Shit, man. Some really high standards there.
I'm very critical of Marvel movies, too. I didn't like Doctor Strange, Civil War, Ant Man, Age Of Ultron.

Thing is, I'm not looking for just an enjoyable or passable movie. My expectations of superhero movies is I want them to be great movies, in general. For them to be memorable all the way. I'm comparing them to all movies. Acting, cinematography, themes, characters, emotional investment, the whole caboodle. Since most of them are structured as action movies (3 action setpieces usually), I judge them compared to movies like Raid, Dredd, Free Fire, Kingsman, etc.

So yeah, high standards I guess :p

Mariolee

It's happening

KSjaIQp.png

Steejee

Cautious optimism...

I'd like WW to be the first good DCEU movie, but these early previous are rarely negative unless the movies are straight up awful.

Glass Rebel

There's been, but shockingly not to the extent of other movies.

If you think that the attacks against Gadot's acting aren't motivated because of her gender I got a strong female chatacter for sale. Compare Wonder Woman vs Aquaman discussions on this very forums. Jason is a shit actor but nobody seems to be bothered by that.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I haven't hated the other DCEU movies. After walking out of BvS, my wife said, "I didn't like anything about it but it was entertaining," and I think that is a slightly more negative version of my own opinion of the movies to this point. The trailers for WW, though, have made it look to me like it would be the best entry in the catalog so far.

Someone wrote an article about WW pissing fire because of a poster.

http://www.avclub.com/article/wonder-woman-pees-fire-new-justice-league-promos-252662

Besides making us squirm uncomfortably in our seats just looking at it—seriously, Diana, you should probably get that checked out—the poster raises a number of questions. Did a single woman look at this poster before it was released? Did anyone look at the poster, for that matter, or is Zack Snyder just throwing these together on Photoshop in his spare time? Why, oh why, did it have to be orange?

If you think that the attacks against Gadot's acting aren't motivated because of her gender I got a strong female chatacter for sale. Compare Wonder Woman vs Aquaman discussions on this very forums. Jason is a shit actor but nobody seems to be bothered by that.

Oh, they totally are, and I've called it out before. But the trailers on YouTube aren't 50% to 90% thumbs down. That's where my expectations are, unfortunately.

Jason is kinda boring but I don't find him offensively bad or distracting like Gadot in F&F.

But I'm sure you're right, some of it is very likely because she's a woman.

Savitar

Certainly the turn around from earlier when we heard it was a disaster with all the same news that every DC film seems to get months before it's done.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Have I mentioned how happy I am that a common praise about WW is Gal? F off with all the not my WW people. Too skinny, can't act, one facial expression, not the star of her own movie.... blah blah blah.... suck it haters.

kewlmyc

Can't really trust these press reviews where they invite the press down to watch the movies. They're usually bias as shit.

I do hope this movie is good though.

anaron

Can't really trust these press reviews where they invite the press down to watch the movies. They're usually bias as shit.

Lol these aren't DC fansites, these are general movie critics

The pre-meltdowns over this reviewing well are already hilarious

Penguin

Someone wrote an article about WW pissing fire because of a poster.

http://www.avclub.com/article/wonder-woman-pees-fire-new-justice-league-promos-252662
I had completely forgotten about the piss fire problem!

As opposed to when they invite them to screenings to watch their movies?

Or world premieres... I'm so confused

Most reviewers see the movie for free due to the company so it doesn't really change much where it is, I guess to me

Glass Rebel

I'm sorry, I was counting the stacks (not the bills in the stacks, the STACKS) that were just hand-trucked to my desk as advance on the sterling review I'm guaranteed to write for Wonder Woman.

haha sterling because it's in london and it's not for everyone just bias as shit reviewers i get it bobby you did it again

LosDaddie

Banned
Yup. I've been saying for months that WW would be better received since it only has to focus on one hero.

Good to see the DCEU have a good start to 2017

I'm curious if there will be blatant sexism from the internet in regards to this movie. My jedi senses tell me yes, and it will be bad.

Depends on what you use to gauge the "internet's" reaction. Twitter alone can be used to build whatever narrative someone wants.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Maybe it will be as good as Ghostbusters Answer The Call!!!!

Only skimmed the op but sounds positive. Positively surprised because of earlier threads.

Nice, looking forward to watching it now.

Anth0ny

Wonder Woman's scenes were some of my favourite parts of BvS, so I'm hoping this kicks ass and she continues to steal every scene she's in with JL.

Top Bottom