• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press Reset: The Story of Polygon - financed by Microsoft for $750,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiktor

Ugh..so pretentious. Gaming is supposed to be fun, this makes it look like some boring indie movie about surfer looking for meaning of life

RealMeat

Banned
gabenwcqo4.gif

Source? If there's a video of Gabe Newell making swords I want to watch it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I knew about the site, but didn't know it hadn't launched yet.

Never bothered even trying to go, no interest based on the personalities who make up the site.

I don't know what them finding a site will do for the content. It's just not my thing, I want to keep my distance from that kind of stuff.

Bumhead

Banned
I was thinking this too, and I'd give them a lot of credit if this were an elaborate troll. But I don't think it is.

If it was any other site I'd be almost certain. But Polygon is part of The Verge so.. yeah. Who knows.

If this video actually does a good job of explaining how and why "Things are changing" or whatever other crap they want to roll out.. then fair play and lets have it. I don't read any gaming sites anymore (GAF is all I need) but if Polygon has enough to back up it's own self hype then credit where it's due. Maybe I'll read it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I was responding very specifically to an idea that was repeated several times on this forum thread. No need to be the thing you're supposedly complaining about.

I think the question isn't so much about the logistics of doing both, but about the reasons for doing both. Just launch the damn website and let the content speak for itself.

Prezhulio

i'm all for new video content with a life to it- ala 1up show/area5 and some giantbomb videos. but this content (and by all means seems to be an irregular thing based on kekfa's post) seems like it won't contribute to my interest much if it's truly a documentary mini-series all about the polygon crew (i guess it doesn't help that the only voice at polygon i like is arthur). i'm sure i'll tune in for the first part just to "see what it is".

Megasoum

Banned
Friends (even angry friends), I'll save responding to most of the hate until you can see more of the video beyond the teaser and make up your minds from that, but one thing I would like to clear up:

For the several people yelling "WHY ARE YOU MAKING A VIDEO JUST FINISH THE WEBSITE" etc. -- We don't have video people coding and designing the website. Just like we don't have writers/editors coding and designing the website, which is why we're posting content on the Verge right now until the website is ready to go live. The creation of this documentary has no negative affect on resources in such a way as to delay or slow down the launch of Polygon.

You are completly missing the point... The problem was never "Oh they should stop wasting time making a movie to focus on the website"... The problem was "Maybe they should start by having a website and actually prove that they have something worth a damn before making a self wanking movie on how great and amazing they think they are".

This is the most pretentious thing I've seen in years...

I think the question isn't so much about the logistics of doing both, but about the reasons for doing both. Just launch the damn website and let the content speak for itself.

We definitely will as soon as it's ready. And I'm going to let the content of this video series speak for itself as well beyond that one point.

Lime

Penny Arcade Report is pretty fucking outstanding in terms of reporting on video games in a way that is actually interesting. I don't think it was ever pitched as blowing the lid off anything, but rather take a "games reporting is broken, we will try to fix it by writing really interesting stuff". I honestly don't see the fault in it.

Lol Penny Arcade outstanding in terms of reporting and writing really interesting stuff? Maybe if you like improperly representing contemporary issues presented through unclear and muddy writing. While it isn't Kotaku/IGN levels of bad, PA is basically two guys who have no idea how to tackle any issue from different angles, other than standing on a soapbox made out of high school grade English writing.

Jesus, what is the problem here? Polygon is a business, no? Don't lots of businesses put out promotional videos highlighting how awesome their business is? Aren't they all "up their own ass?" Isn't every Apple commercial "up its own ass?"

This is extremely common. Not sure why so much hate.

Also, woah at that IE dubstep commercial. InTENSE.

DaBuddaDa

Some of the Polygon guys are already doing that "sarcastic passive aggressive back and forth tweeting" cat fighting with random people over this teaser. Didn't take very long!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus, what is the problem here? Polygon is a business, no? Don't lots of businesses put out promotional videos highlighting how awesome their business is? Aren't they all "up their own ass?" Isn't every Apple commercial "up its own ass?"

A good point - and they certainly do, and are.

diffusionx

Gold Member
We definitely will as soon as it's ready. And I'm going to let the content of this video series speak for itself as well beyond that one point.

Well no, you're not. You are proclaiming how awesome you are going to be in a video.

Apple has released products before.

Gannd

Banned
Ugh..so pretentious. Gaming is supposed to be fun, this makes it look like some boring indie movie about surfer looking for meaning of life

This is a group of adults that has to justify themselves to themselves as doing something more than writing about video games. I wonder if the board gaming websites are so smug. As soon as the games industry truly grows up and stops trying to act like an adolescent we can do away with the smug and superior attitude that this video signifies.

Some of the Polygon guys are already doing that "sarcastic passive aggressive back and forth tweeting" cat fighting with random people over this teaser. Didn't take very long!
I was just about to comment on how I'm quite interested to see the inevitable Twitter posts about this thread.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

These are the big risks they mentioned.

Empty

that zooey deschanel apple advert got pretty much the same reaction as this from gaf for being obnoxious

also this is being presented as something we should go out our way to see on the merits of its content rather than something that's forced on us as a consequence of other things like most adverts

Grecco

Did they expect everybody to react positively over an extremely pretentious video telling the world how they will revolutionize games press? (Before launching the site?)

KalBalboa

Banned
Jesus, what is the problem here? The Verge is a business, no? Don't lots of businesses put out promotional videos highlighting how awesome their business is? Aren't they all "up their own ass?" Isn't every Apple commercial "up its own ass?"

Yeah, this seems like it's for a different or wider audience than GAF facilitates. If the site is going for broad appeal and tries to differentiate itself by going for journalism and insight first and leave humor and inside baseball aside, I can see where they're going and why they think they can stake a claim (with the right money backing them, of course).

It could also be a self-righteous love letter to itself though and merely be an ego trip for some involved, but that remains to be seen.

Nibel

That's so revolutionary.

Makes me wanna dance with my Skyrim copy to be honest

Well, that's a record for a new video games blog setting its reputation on fire. Minus a few months is a tough time to beat. Seriously guys, launch the bloody website and then make the documentary if wins any awards (it probably won't), not the other way round.

One time I saw the Polygon team walking down a street in downtown LA. If there was Wes Anderson music playing I'd swear they were walking in slow motion.

Trevelyon

I like GB's style a lot better. Different angle, same goal - building a base. But I don't understand hating on these guys for promoting themselves.

The circumstances of the forming of GB and consequent hype of its launch are wildly different things. You can't really compare the two.

eznark

Banned
Well, that's a record for a new video games blog setting its reputation on fire. Minus a few months is a tough time to beat. Seriously guys, launch the bloody website and then make the documentary if wins any awards (it probably won't), not the other way round.

Their staff announcements accomplished that long ago.

I'm not saying I think it's awesome, but they aren't the first gaming website to release videos before they really started making stuff.

http://www.giantbomb.com/how-to-build-a-bomb-ep01/17-11/
http://www.giantbomb.com/how-to-build-a-bomb-ep02/17-12/

I like GB's style a lot better. Different angle, same goal - building a base. But I don't understand hating on these guys for promoting themselves.

Edit: when the FUCK did Giant Bomb start including ads in their videos? And for DOVE?

Since they had to start making money and I would rather have DOVE adds then for video games on a site that reports about them.

kylej

Banned
That write up is fucking hilariously up its own ass.

Polygon is a new kind of website, built on new technology, backed by a new kind of media company. Its designers hope that the new technology driving it will turn web publishing on its ear. Its backers, Vox Media, hope their business model will wake up the web to the possibilities of passionate voices creating quality content. Its founders, some of the most accomplished journalists working in the medium, hope it will broaden the possibilities for videogame media, bringing new eyes and attention to an industry on the cusp of a revolution.

More than that, though, they all simply hope it will work

That is absolutely hilarious.

That's not the point of the series at all, and no, we have tons and tons of written work up already and more coming. If you don't dig what we're doing, that's fine.
The motivation behind the documentary isn't really important. Most people won't see that. Culture will take what you're putting out and create independent ideas about it. As good ol' Negus says, media creators try to understand and influence culture (which by all means, they sometimes can), but at the end of the day, culture comes from within and not outside.

You can't tell people what to think of your output.

zroid

Banned
Well, this is pretty ridiculous.

Polygon is a good site and all -- its design is particularly good for tablet browsing -- but... um.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom