• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press Reset: The Story of Polygon - financed by Microsoft for $750,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
not sponsored editorial content. if it was microsoft sponsoring a documentary about how awesome microsoft is, that would be sponsored editorial content.

deals like this don't impact editorial. the latest episode of press reset actually talks about this! at the end of the day it's about finding the funding to run a site while intruding the least on the users' experience.

"We totally had to be talked into doing this by the sales team."

"The sales team has absolutely no influence over us at all."

k guys!

"We totally had to be talked into doing this by the sales team."

"The sales team has absolutely no influence over us at all."

k guys!

That's exactly it. It's funny but I'm sure they can justify this slimy bullshit in their own minds and it will likely have zero impact on their success.

PowderedToast

not sponsored editorial content. if it was microsoft sponsoring a documentary about how awesome microsoft is, that would be sponsored editorial content.

deals like this don't impact editorial. the latest episode of press reset actually talks about this! at the end of the day it's about finding the funding to run a site while intruding the least on the users' experience.

you're joking right?

by accepting that funding the site immediately becomes invalidated. it's called CONFLICT OF INTEREST, and it's something everybody in the journalism world understands.

i can't stand the excuse of "we need advertising to survive". if you actually built a solid and reputable reputation for yourselves, you wouldn't be approached by just videogame publishers. first, learn how to survive without them. then, begin to find sponsors from other sources. wow that was simple.

polygon is all style no substance. a slick MODURN sheen on the same old ugly, cynical business model. but who expected any better, right?

malfcn

E5cvR.jpg

Holy shit. Where did that number come from?

iammeiam

Yeah I'd like to know this too. Is Exp. Magazine really that reliable?

Given the aegies tweet quoted above, it looks like their intel was good. That is an insane amount of money to pay for a slickly edited puff-series (the basic structure of at least the first three episodes prevents any real depth) about a website that doesn't exist yet.

Dresden

It's too late for Polygon. They've lost all credibility; the savvy internet readers will wise up and stick to Kotaku or IGN.

Should just reboot as Octagon.

Kai

Can someone honestly explain to me why Polygon is such a big deal? I don't understand - it just feels like a hard to navigate website.

Am I missing something? I'm honestly not trying to be fecisious I just don't understand it.

Giant Bomb's wiki driven backend and personalized previews through quick looks really feel like the next step forward for gaming websites to me. Is there something on the verge I am missing that I am not aware of?

Can someone honestly explain to me why Polygon is such a big deal? I don't understand - it just feels like a hard to navigate website.

Am I missing something? I'm honestly not trying to be fecisious I just don't understand it.

Giant Bomb's wiki driven backend and personalized previews through quick looks really feel like the next step forward for gaming websites to me. Is there something on the verge I am missing that I am not aware of?

They aren't a big deal, but they sure think they are. That's why they thought it'd be okay to film a documentary of them smelling their own farts before they even had a running website.

I like to call it the "Gies Fallacy".

I'm not sure anyone besides them thinks it's a big deal, which is part of why the initial trailer was so hilarious.

$750,000 isn't that much when you realize it buys you an entire video series that stars every editor of a potentially major publication that covers your industry.

Holy fuck shit

This is ethically murky as goddamn fuck

I am seriously fucking flabbergasted

As a journalist and a gamer and a consumer of news I am literally beyond words what the goddamn fuckshit jesus christ

so uh

why is a game publisher giving a news site 3/4 of a million dollars?

This article sure makes it sound like Microsoft or at least someone in Polygon sales conceived the idea of the documentary to begin with:

Where does money for such a production come from? Vox Media has raised about $40 million in venture capital and the company has poured some of that venture money into an impressive video studio where it churns out high-quality video content for The Verge and for SB Nation's YouTube-funded video channel. But, in this instance, Microsoft is sponsoring the documentary to promote Internet Explorer.

Of course, journalists are notoriously uneasy about becoming interview subjects themselves. How did the Polygon staff feels about being on the other end of lines of questioning? According to Mr. Grant, the idea came from the business side of the operation.

"[We] were like, 'They want to sponsor a documentary series? Awesome," he said. "'But about us? Uh, interesting.'"

I'm not sure how any of them can say that editorial isn't impacted when sales or sponsers are coming up with the ideas for Polygon's video content.

To be fair to them, I don't think the actual cost is egregious for a professional video shoot. I think that the folks doing the Double Fine Adventure documentary are probably costing that much or more.

Where the money is coming from feels a bit icky though.

So we finally get a gaming site that´s going to be open about how depedent they are on the goodwill of the big publishers? That´s refreshing. :)

CheapyD

Yes, I agree that is a lot of money and is newsworthy, but you guys realize that the writers don't get that money, right?

I feel no anger whatsoever. Only slight jealousy.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Yes, I agree that is a lot of money and is newsworthy, but you guys realize that the writers don't get that money, right?

I feel no anger whatsoever. Only slight jealousy.
The site that they write for gets the money. That's why it's a big deal. Obviously.

I think most people realize that, but they theoretically could get some benefit (financially or otherwise) from the publicity such a doc could give them so it feels a bit gross, especially when it comes from one of the companies that they're likely to be covering a great deal.

I don't think that anyone says it's evidence they're on the hook for MS or anything, but it is a lens people are going to look at things through.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Holy fuck shit

This is ethically murky as goddamn fuck

I am seriously fucking flabbergasted

As a journalist and a gamer and a consumer of news I am literally beyond words what the goddamn fuckshit jesus christ

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen you swear before. And now there's like, seven in one of your posts.

This is going down in the GAF history books.

The site that they write for gets the money. That's why it's a big deal. Obviously.

So is it a big deal that a site like Eurogamer is covered in ads for a game or console constantly?

I'm one of the bigger Polygon haters around but taking in ad money is certainly not a big deal for a website.

CheapyD

I said I agree it's newsworthy. I wouldn't hang them out to dry until I actually saw some evidence of impropriety first.

That being said, yeah that is a huge amount of money. Doesn't seem like Microsoft gets a great return on just that video series. Perhaps there is another ad buy component to it.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I said I agree it's newsworthy. I wouldn't hang them out to dry until I actually saw some evidence of impropriety first.

That being said, yeah that is a huge amount of money. Doesn't seem like Microsoft gets a great return on just that video series. Perhaps there is another ad buy component to it.
Agreed. And I'm all for transparency in this, which is something we rarely ever fully get.

So is it a big deal that a site like Eurogamer is covered in ads for a game or console constantly?

I'm one of the bigger Polygon haters around but taking in ad money is certainly not a big deal for a website.

But they're not advertising a Microsoft product--Microsoft is ostensibly paying them to make a documentary promoting themselves, with a small notation that it was sponsored by IE.

That's why it feels a bit different.

Kyou

But they're not advertising a Microsoft product--Microsoft is ostensibly paying them to make a documentary promoting themselves, with a small notation that it was sponsored by IE.

it feels like an attache case got slid across something at some point

Yagharek

It also doesnt help that the writers are not known for being impartial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom