• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Producer Simon Kinberg wants a brighter Fantastic Four (2015) sequel, same cast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Lou

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/...n-kinberg-wants-same-cast-for-brighter-sequel

According to producer and co-writer Simon Kinberg, however, there’s still appetite for a sequel at Fox - even if they have gone back to the drawing board for now. When we brought the subject of Fantastic Four 2 up at the junket for X-Men: Apocalypse, Kinberg made no secret of his feelings about the 2015 film and its dramatic departure from the comics.

“We didn't make a good movie,” Kinberg said, “and the world voted, and I think they probably voted correctly. And you can't make a good movie every time out - not everybody does. We actually have a pretty good batting average, all things considered. But I think we made many mistakes when we made that movie - mistakes that we learned from and we wouldn't repeat.”

At the same time, Kinberg said that the desire to make another Fantastic Four at Fox still remains - and with the same core cast of the last film:

“We want to make another Fantastic Four movie. We love that cast - I mean if I were to say to you now Michael B Jordan and Miles Teller, and Kate [Mara] and Jamie [Bell] are great actors - we love that cast. I love the comic, I mean I love it almost as much as X-Men.”

nothing wrong with the cast really. they can be salvaged pretty easily.

are they signed on for sequels though? I imagine they never want to do this again lmao.

Seriously, why do you want to hold on to any ties to that abortion of a movie? Some kind of morbid experiment to see if a movie can actually gross negative amounts of money? At least WB has the excuse that they didn't expect BvS to perform that badly and shit was too far along to stop Wonder Woman and Justice League from being made.

P.S.: Give the rights back to Marvel.

“We didn't make a good movie,” Kinberg said, “and the world voted, and I think they probably voted correctly. And you can't make a good movie every time out - not everybody does. We actually have a pretty good batting average, all things considered. But I think we made many mistakes when we made that movie - mistakes that we learned from and we wouldn't repeat.”

You're 0/3 on Fantastic Four movies with the newest one being the worst.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Honestly, the cast wasn't the problem with the film. It could work.

The big problem is that you can't get people to be excited about another one of these films with the same cast. The well has already been poisoned. It's like if I went to try a new burger at a fast food place and it gives me food poisoning. Then a month later they add a fancy cheese to the same burger. I'm still going to be wary because of my last experience.

Obviously the next film would have a new writer and director. But even the nerds will gloss over that and write it off if the same faces are there. Kinda like how people still attribute the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles films to Michael Bay. He never directed them, but that idea that he did still continues.

Fat4all

Banned
Honestly, the cast wasn't the problem, it's the terrible editing and half-baked script that tanked the last attempt.

I wouldn't do it, but it ain't my money, so w/e.

Korigama

Please just give it back to Marvel already, Fox. You guys can keep X-Men, but after all of the failures with this, especially Fant4stic, you really need to just let FF go.

It'd need to be one heck of a hard-soft-reboot. Can't imagine trying to salvage Doom without saying that Doom wasn't the real Doom.

Just let Michael B Jordan go do more Creed movies and maybe get on to an actually good superhero movie. Don't keep him tied down to this impossible to polish turd.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Gotta make something to keep the rights and a sequel is easier than a reboot.

That's true. The cast is probably signed on for multiple films. There is a 0.000001% chance Trank comes back to direct or write, so the creative team would be brand new no matter what. If they're really intent on making Fantastic Four work, they could just soft reboot with the next film. Settle on a tone and go with that. The FF is assembled, you really don't have to acknowledge anything from the first film. Even if they want to do Doom, just say that the one in the film is the son and the next one that appears is the father.

It's such an uphill battle to wash the stink off the franchise though. They would have to really win some good will from the fans, and do an amazing job with marketing. And I can't imagine the casf will be enthusiastic about being forced to do more of these. It might be Natalie Portman in Thor 2 x 4. (Or Jennifer Lawrence in X-Men. Pick your poison)

Fat4all

Banned
The worst part about all these failed F4 movies is that Doom is the fucking best and it never gets to be showcased properly :(

The worst part about all these failed F4 movies is that Doom is the fucking best and it never gets to be showcased properly :(

He could run circles around the crowd favorite in Loki if he got an actor to do him right along with writing.

He's such an incredible character and we're NEVER gonna see him done right.

giphy.gif

Branduil

I can't really see any realistic way that continuing to make shitty F4 movies will be more profitable for Fox than any kind of arrangement with Marvel. The well is truly and completely poisoned.

Nah bro its dead. Like others said, cast was mostly fine but damn let it go your movie was terrible.

And the attempt at a scene for scene reenactment of Akira's famous hospital break out was pretty obvious and lame.

Fox has an incredible amount of trouble handling movies with big potential despite good casting. Same with Dragonball Evolution in my opinion. Aside from the controversy over hiring a white actor for Goku, there was a lot of talent involved in that film just like Fantastic Four, but mind-boggling script decisions ruined what could have made a lot of money and kickstarted a franchise. I'd like to see more but they've probably poisoned that well unfortunately.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
For the love of god, give FF back to Marvel. :(

Fantastic Four cannot be good standalone.

What made FF good was their relationship with other characters in the Marvel Universe - characters that Fox does not own the rights to.

Let's be honest - no one gives a fuck about the FF's powers. What makes them interesting is that they are Marvel Royalty that deal with high level , ELE threats.

Fantastic Four cannot be good standalone.

What made FF good was their relationship with other characters in the Marvel Universe - characters that Fox does not own the rights to.

Let's be honest - no one gives a fuck about the FF's powers. What makes them interesting is that they are MArvel Royalty that deal with high level threats.

You can ABSOLUTELY do a good solo FF movie.

You just need for it A) to not look like it cost $25 to make and B) actually hire writers who know what they are doing.

Dabanton

Fox won't let those rights go. The first half of the movie was intriguing, the rest an utter mess.

The cast was fine. And I can't see Fox letting young actors of that calibre go just yet. They'll give it another shot.

You can ABSOLUTELY do a good solo FF movie.

You just need for it A) to not look like it cost $25 to make and B) actually hire writers who know what they are doing.

Perhaps, but they are 0 for 3 so far, and all the movies share a common element - the stakes are nowhere near high enough.

As a guy who was surprised at the success of GotG, I still say that it's impossible to create an attractive, stand-alone FF movie in today's climate. One of the problems with the FF is that their powers are not dynamic or complex at all: fire man, rock man, a woman who disappears, and a guy that stretches like a child's toy. Now, imagine a movie with equally boring heroes from the X universe: Iceman, Colossus, and two other mutants with comparable feats as Mr. Fantastic and Sue Richards. That movie would suck, too.

ramparter

Banned
Seriously, why do you want to hold on to any ties to that abortion of a movie? Some kind of morbid experiment to see if a movie can actually gross negative amounts of money? At least WB has the excuse that they didn't expect BvS to perform that badly and shit was too far along to stop Wonder Woman and Justice League from being made.

P.S.: Give the rights back to Marvel.
Signed.

Fantastic Four was my favourite Marvel comic when I was a kid. I hope a day comes it gets the movie it deserves.

As a guy who was surprised at the success of GotG, I still say that it's impossible to create an attractive, stand-alone FF movie in today's climate. One of the problems with the FF is that their powers are not dynamic or complex at all: fire man, rock man, a woman who disappears, and a guy that stretches like a child's toy. Now, imagine a movie with equally boring heroes from the X universe: Iceman, Colossus, and two other mutants with comparable feats as Mr. Fantastic and Sue Richards. That movie would suck, too.

it would just be some boring live action incredibles. what they should be doing is (and i rarely ever say this) sell it to marvel. reed and doom dynamic is what's ripe for adaptation. would play so well in their overarching universe.

and send a dump truck full of "we'll pay you second to only RDJ" money to george clooney's house to play reed richards.

with ralph fiennes as doctor doom.

wondermega

There is so much you could do with just the Thing, a less-unstable Hulk.. Just got to spend some actual money on some decent set pieces and be smart about it. A half-good FF movie is not hard to do, especially in this day and age!

Fourstick, I agree the first part was intriguing. Everything until returning to Earth was workable and interesting for the most part. I didn't even mind Doom, he was better than the last 2 takes on the character. The rest was blecch however.

Reed Richards real power is that he's the smartest being in existence, Johnny Storms real power is his wit and ability to think creatively, Sue and Ben well... They just kinda exist.

But you can totally make Reed and Johnny interesting in a stand alone.

It's amazing how every homage and parody of the FF can capture the essence of the comics, but FOX with the actual rights to the FF just can't make a good adaptation. In fact, the movies are steadily getting worse with each iteration.

If a sequel/reboot fails yet again, then the rights should automatically revert back to Marvel. These constant failures are just ridiculous now.

Reed Richards real power is that he's the smartest being in existence, Johnny Storms real power is his wit and ability to think creatively, Sue and Ben well... They just kinda exist.

But you can totally make Reed and Johnny interesting in a stand alone.

Ben is the heart and soul, Johhny is boring as fuck unless Spider-Man is around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom