• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Draco unveiled and detailed: Kinect-only Panzer Dragoon successor on XBLA

duckroll

GitarooMan said:
The rail shooter thing really lowers my enthusiasm. For 15 or so dollars, though, it'll probably still be worth a try.

See? People, this is why the game is a XBLA title. Because of people like him! Modern audiences won't accept a Panzer Dragoon game at retail! Grrr...

duckroll said:
See? People, this is why the game is a XBLA title. Because of people like him! Modern audiences won't accept a Panzer Dragoon game at retail! Grrr...
What? I like Panzer Dragoon, but it wasn't a rail shooter. You could control the dragon.....couldn't you? If not, man my memory is going.

"What? I like Panzer Dragoon, but it wasn't a rail shooter. You could control the dragon.....couldn't you? If not, man my memory is going."

You have very little control of the dragon. It is very much a rail shooter.

benzy

GitarooMan said:
What? I like Panzer Dragoon, but it wasn't a rail shooter. You could control the dragon.....couldn't you? If not, man my memory is going.

You can control the dragon in this game like you do in Panzer Dragoon, except now you move by leaning with your body weight.

And yes, PD was a rail shooter.

Coxy

Teknopathetic said:
"What? I like Panzer Dragoon, but it wasn't a rail shooter. You could control the dragon.....couldn't you? If not, man my memory is going."

While the level you travelled through was on rails you could very much control the dragon and it was very important to do so, avoiding doors that were half open, pipes stretching across tunnels and bosses attacks.

I see no compelling reason for this game to be kinect only

duckroll

I've added the Inside Kinect preview to the OP, since it covers two aspects the Famitsu preview did not mention.

Coxy said:
While the level you travelled through was on rails you could very much control the dragon and it was very important to do so, avoiding doors that were half open, pipes stretching across tunnels and bosses attacks.

I see no compelling reason for this game to be kinect only

You can guide the dragon just like you can in Panzer Dragoon. They were referring to actually controlling the dragon with your hands, like you would a horse, which is something they originally announced,

Feindflug

Dabanton said:
I imagine for MS this is only a bad decision if you don't have a Kinect. Making it Kinect only and a XBLA title is a smart decision. They stop it having the fate of something like CoE and it will be priced competitively.

How exactly making it a Kinect-only title is a smart decision? losing sales from the people who are interested in this game and have no Kinect or plan to get one is smart? anyway personally I'm really sad about this one...at last we get a PD spiritual successor which looks amazing that I'll never play.

Between this one, Devil's Third not shown at TGS and Dark Souls 360 version showing signs of being a rushed job I must say that today is maybe the worst day news-wise in a long time IMO. :(

Teknopathetic said:
Yeah, I think I was sort of narrowing down the term rail shooter a bit too much to only games where you have absolutely no control at all over the movement of the character (something like Dead Space: Extraction). I don't always immediately think of games which move down a set path but you have some control over the movement of the ship through aiming (a la Star Fox where the ship moves as you aim enough upward/downward/left/right) as rail shooters, but that's really not correct.

Fuck yeah! Sounds pretty deep, too! Kinda seems like it could be a reinvented Panzer Dragoon or Panzer Dragoon Zwei layered with Phantom Dust CCG-like skill/deck building. Hopefully, there will be lots of path/quest choices to vary the progression beyond skill upgrades and different dragons. Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of dragon-raising element, too?

miladesn said:
0106koy.jpg

013ije8.jpg

012f85o.jpg

0116kh7.jpg

finally, a follow-up to Orta, my favorite Panzer Dragoon game ^__^

This looks fucking great. Shame about Kinect though.

I own one, but whenever a good looking game is announced for it I never feel "oh boy, yet another great Kinect game to justify my purchase". I just feel "damn, another potentially excellent game marred by a lack of controller support".

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
benzy said:
You can control the dragon in this game like you do in Panzer Dragoon, except now you move by leaning with your body weight.
That contradicts what's translated in the OP which makes it sound like Rez or like a lightgun game like Virtua Cop rather than a game like Panzer Dragoon or Star Fox or Sin & Punishment which are essentially 3D shumps, as you do travel in a set path but also have control of your dragon/craft/character and must dodge fire, enemies and obstacles.

Edit: I missed the OP's edit. That's good to know then, hopefully it works well... The dragon designs still suck though.

Feindflug said:
How exactly making it a Kinect-only title is a smart decision? losing sales from the people who are interested in this game and have no Kinect or plan to get one is smart? anyway personally I'm really sad about this one...at last we get a PD spiritual successor which looks amazing that I'll never play.
Microsoft are probably more concerned about Kinect sales than sales of this game. Dropping controller support will definitely lose them some Project Draco sales, but it adds the game to a growing pile of Kinect games that might interest the core audience.

Going into threads for titles like The Gunstringer, Child of Eden and even Fruit Ninja and Dance Central, there are countless posts along the lines of "Man, I really want to play this but I'm not buying a Kinect for one game". The more games they do make exclusively Kinect, the more people they convince to pick one up.

Dabanton

Feindflug said:

Between this one, Devil's Third not shown at TGS and Dark Souls 360 version showing signs of being a rushed job I must say that today is maybe the worst day news-wise in a long time IMO. :(

Because they want software to push Kinect. You either want one or you don't you obviously don't so yeah... but others may now look to pick one up if they want to play the game. As well as the other titles that will be Kinect only. Like Steel Battalion etc

Hugely excited because of the screens but ultimately crushed it's Kinect only.

No chance they'll patch in some controller options? :(

kyubajin

I just cry at the potential of this if it was made with real controllers in mind :( begging for a Move port
although I know it's impossible

Edit: and yes, I own and have beaten both Saturn games and Orta, one of my personal favourite Xbox games.

x Maiku x

Looks and sounds great! As much as I want a disc release for this game, I admit that making it a premium XBLA game will probably be better for everyone in the end.

Feindflug

InaudibleWhispa said:
Microsoft are probably more concerned about Kinect sales than sales of this game. Dropping controller support will definitely lose them some Project Draco sales, but it adds the game to a growing pile of Kinect games that might interest the core audience.

Going into threads for titles like The Gunstringer, Child of Eden and even Fruit Ninja and Dance Central, there are countless posts along the lines of "Man, I really want to play this but I'm not buying a Kinect for one game". The more games they do make exclusively Kinect, the more people they convince to pick one up.

MS wants to sell the Kinect to the core audience I get that but personally I'm not interested in Kinect games with controls that can be played better with a controller - I simply don't see any point in leaning my body left and right to move the dragon but I guess that's just me...I'm much more interested in Steel Battalion which is a hybrid and has the shooting/moving aspect of the game played traditionally with a controller for example.

Anyway the game seems to be designed around Kinect (5min stages e.t.c.) so a controller option may be useless...still sad about how this project turned out. :(

Still it will be interesting to see how this game will do sales-wise compared to other more casual-friendly titles for Kinect like The Gunstringer and Fruit Ninja.

Shurs

InaudibleWhispa said:

This game will be have the same impact as Child of Eden when it comes to selling Kinects.

Raide

Now, take all these awesome ideas about raising Dragoons and feeding them to alter skills...and then add it to an MMO. Do It.

duckroll

Instead of blaming MS for making this game Kinect-only, I think that it is more reasonable to blame Sega for having no interest at all of funding any future development of Panzer Dragoon. It is also more reasonable to blame all other Japanese publishers for having no interest in capitalizing on putting the team together to make a spiritual sequel to Panzer Dragoon. All those scenarios would have resulted in a similar game which is not Kinect-only.

The original developers clearly want to make more Panzer Dragoon games. They are also unable to get funding to make such a game. MS offered the chance for it to happen and they took it. MS is probably not actually creatively invested in Panzer Dragoon, nor are they terribly concerned that most Panzer Dragoon fans might be more interested in playing it with a controller. They want to sell the Kinect, and they had a bunch of money to throw around, and they wanted to see if core gamers could be attracted by Kinect-only games which might appeal to them. That's all.

MS had the money, the developers needed the money. That's why the game is the way it is. If not for MS wanted core-appealing Kinect-only games, this game wouldn't even be made at all. Clearly no one else who has money cares to make it happen. That's the reality.

kinggroin

Banned
duckroll said:
Instead of blaming MS for making this game Kinect-only, I think that it is more reasonable to blame Sega for having no interest at all of funding any future development of Panzer Dragoon. It is also more reasonable to blame all other Japanese publishers for having no interest in capitalizing on putting the team together to make a spiritual sequel to Panzer Dragoon. All those scenarios would have resulted in a similar game which is not Kinect-only.

The original developers clearly want to make more Panzer Dragoon games. They are also unable to get funding to make such a game. MS offered the chance for it to happen and they took it. MS is probably not actually creatively invested in Panzer Dragoon, nor are they terribly concerned that most Panzer Dragoon fans might be more interested in playing it with a controller. They want to sell the Kinect, and they had a bunch of money to throw around, and they wanted to see if core gamers could be attracted by Kinect-only games which might appeal to them. That's all.

MS had the money, the developers needed the money. That's why the game is the way it is. If not for MS wanted core-appealing Kinect-only games, this game wouldn't even be made at all. Clearly no one else who has money cares to make it happen. That's the reality.

I don't think too many are blaming Microsoft for anything in here. As a business, this makes perfect sense for them. Its just more an expressing of the concern, that the next installment of a cherished franchise could potentially be compromised in a major way, by being kinect only.

It is the reality, but it kind of sucks ya know?

duckroll said:

This is the sad truth.

Was team Andromeda responsible for Orta?

Or was the team dismantled before that?

duckroll

kinggroin said:
I don't think too many are blaming Microsoft for anything in here. As a business, this makes perfect sense for them. Its just more an expressing of the concern that the next installment of a cherished franchise couldn't potentially be compromised in a major way by being kinect only.

It is the reality, but it kind of sucks ya know?

The reality of Japanese development in general, and the fate of niche brands over the years sucks in general. It's not going to get much better either. It's tough. :(

Lord-Audie said:
This is the sad truth.

Was team Andromeda responsible for Orta?

Or was the team dismantled before that?

Team Andromeda was dead before that. Smilebit made Orta.

kinggroin

Banned
duckroll said:
The reality of Japanese development in general, and the fate of niche brands over the years sucks in general. It's not going to get much better either. It's tough. :(

Shit, you're telling me. I kinda thrive on that sorta gaming.

TheOddOne

duckroll said:

Excellent post.

duckroll said:

We were talking about this over mumble the other day.

How sega basically killed most if not all of the teams that were responsible for they popular IPs.

The AM teams
Team Andromeda
Sonic Team (not literary killed)

And I presume many others.

Edit:

I didn't try out orta, since I didn't have an Xbox. I was almost compelled to buy one just for the game, but just didn't do it.

I heard that is good, but didn't find myself wanting to try it out. Was mostly afraid that the magic that made the saturn versions great IMO was not going to be there.

1-D_FTW

Sounds disappointing. I was expecting to have to spread your arms, flap to flap your on-screen counter part, bank and stuff with your arms, and breathe fire by yelling "cakoo." Sales -1.

duckroll

Lord-Audie said:
We were talking about this over mumble the other day.

How sega basically killed most if not all of the teams that were responsible for they popular IPs.

The AM teams
Team Andromeda
Sonic Team (not literary killed)

And I presume many others.

Sega kills dreams. What else is new?

KageMaru

Love Panzer Dragoon, loved CoE, and I'm sure I'll love this.

Kinda disappointed each stage is ~5 minutes but I can't complain with it being a XBLA title.

Between the Forza 4 menu navigation and head tracking and this ... Kinect is definitely in my future now. This is really the tipping point. CoE, then Forza 4 were getting me there and this just pushed me over.

Shurs said:
This game will be have the same impact as Child of Eden when it comes to selling Kinects.
As a game by itself, it won't really sell a great deal of Kinects. But as I said, it's added to the pile of potentially interesting Kinect titles to a core gamer who may begin considering a Kinect purchase. People like flyingpirahna right above this post. And I think given its Live Arcade price point, people will be much more willing to give it a chance.

At least its getting some attention, unlike poor Leedmees which is a really nice little game that I don't think anyone knows exists.

If I'm not mistaken the language that was used on the PD games was fake.

I hope they at least retain that.

PD for the Sega saturn was a very impressive and ambitious game when it launched.

I spent countless hours playing Zweil. I think i managed to unlock the first game dragoon on the game.

I wish they had XBLA ports of the first 2 games. I know that the first one was released on PC. It shouldn't be hard to port .... right .... RIGHT?

"If I'm not mistaken the language that was used on the PD games was fake."

Yeah, it was like a mix of Latin + Japanese + German or something like that.

Edit: Quick google says Latin, Greek, and Russian. Oops.

Feindflug said:

As with all things in life... some people are excluded. If you don't want Kinect or don't wanne spend the money... don't complain, it is your decision.

Microsoft decided that it was going to be Kinect only. Case closed. Whining will not help.

Llyranor

Lord-Audie said:
I wish they had XBLA ports of the first 2 games. I know that the first one was released on PC. It shouldn't be hard to port .... right .... RIGHT?
You can unlock the first game from within Orta, which is BC (unless you have PAL, in which case it freezes at lvl 3).

Orta is such an awesome game. My favorite Xbox game <3 >3

Not sure how I feel about this yet. I'm not sold on Kinect yet, but this + Steel Batallion are making me pay keep an eye on it, at least.

Burli

Pringo
Looks great but as a Kinect owner this shouldn't be Kinect only. Games like these need to appeal to as many Xbox owners as possible, not act as an advert for Microsoft's gadgets.

Burli said:
Looks great but as a Kinect owner this shouldn't be Kinect only. Games like these need to appeal to as many Xbox owners as possible, not act as an advert for Microsoft's gadgets.
What? No one bought enough of the old PD games as it was, why keep selling to a dwindling fanbase which isn't going to support the cost of development?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Looks really cool, but frankly, if I can't play with a controller, I have no interest in playing this game. Sorry.

And as a Panzer Dragoon fan, that kills me.

Top Bottom