• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio to be shown off next week according to Jez C... (READ MOD POST)

-hadouken

I don't think I would be wrong in saying that at the moment DF as a whole has a slight bias towards PS. At least, that's how my group of friends IRL feel.

I don't agree with that. Sure, John doesn't come across as much of an Xbox fan, tho Ledbetter has consistently come in to bat for the X1 over the course of the generation. They balance each other out. ;)

Scorpio is an instabuy for me if it means Destiny 2 at 60fps. Not expecting Bungie to aim for 60fps on standard XBO/PS4.
$10 says they go for framerate parity again on consoles. It's 30fps.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Wait really, they do? I thought I heard about some game giving a 1080p/30fps and 720p/60fps option on a Pro or something.

Damn. The dream is dead.

It's not true. There are a few games that are ~30 on PS4 and 60 on Pro. Most recently is No Man's Sky and GT Sport replays.

statham

drawing the line in the sand.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
no more talk about DF in the past, lets talk current. any current bias, lets talk about it. otherwise, lets keep the past in the past.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
no more talk about DF in the past, lets talk current. any current bias, lets talk about it. otherwise, lets keep the past in the past.
I'm all for this.

I don't agree with that. Sure, John doesn't come across as much of an Xbox fan, tho Ledbetter has consistently come in to bat for the X1 over the course of the generation. They balance each other out. ;)

Oh geez, lol this is one of those instances that I really wish you had just quoted my whole post. It now seems like I was picking on them. That was not my intention at all.

I will admit that I don't really read many of their articles at all anymore though. I usually only look at objective material like pictures and video if available. Things very well may have changed and those views where strictly from my friends not from me because I simply don't have enough data to form a fair opinion.

Great Idea. Plus, it personally just feels wrong talking about a Gaf member when he isn't part of the conversation.

Wedzi

Banned
Wait really, they do? I thought I heard about some game giving a 1080p/30fps and 720p/60fps option on a Pro or something.

Damn. The dream is dead.

Games like Nioh offer such an option but on both systems, not just on PS4 Pro.

For instance. You can have a game like Battlefield 1 which runs somewhat inconsistently at 60fps on a base PS4 but on PS4 Pro hit it more often. But you'll never have a game like Destiny which runs at 30fps base PS4 be upgraded to run 60fps on PS4 Pro.

It can improve frame rates to better hit their target, but you're not allowed to set a new target. If that makes sense. Anyways PS4 Pro's CPU is too weak to expect large jumps to 60fps but for Scorpio there is hope still but we'll see.

Larogue

That explains the sudden rise in Microsoft stock (MSFT) last week. It hasn't moved that much since last Jan. Insiders buying the news.

Mrbob

That explains the sudden rise in Microsoft stock (MSFT) last week. It hasn't moved that much since last Jan. Insiders buying the news.
Perhaps news will make a small blip but stock owners do not care about xbox. They care about azure and office 365 growth.

MaulerX

Project Scorpio ditches the Xbox One's ESRAM, picking up 12GB of GDDR5 memory, vs. the Xbox One's 8GB DDR3 and 32MB of static ESRAM.

Just realized he pretty much confirmed 12GB of RAM in this article. I mean, this was heavily expected but it's nice to see it confirmed. So what can be the big thing he alluded in his tweet? That and Shinobi sayin the hardware was "damn impressive" is telling me the last piece of the puzzle is the CPU? Or maybe it's surprisingly small for the power it packs? Both? We'll find out soon enough.

Larogue

Perhaps news will make a small blip but stock owners do not care about xbox. They care about azure and office 365 growth.

Gaming revenue accounts for about 10% of the company's total revenue (And the percentage can increase if they do a better job with Scorpio).

That's one tenth of the stock value. Of course it's going to be an important factor from an investor point of view. Everything counts.

Tall Paul

Awesome news, been a long time coming, hopefully it will be an unambiguous reveal with no missinterpretation of anything, open to the point then we can focus on what games it will bring no some confusing policy, can't wait!! 9HR flight to Florida now..yay!!

Hexer06

Imagine From Software's next games on Scorpio.

Yum.

Give me Otogi 3. It would be beyond amazing with the hardware we have now. Plus maybe they could use Crackdown 3's "Cloud" Physics (if it works as well as it's supposed to) and just go crazy... It's my most wanted Sequel or Remake now that Phantom Dust is being "remastered" and coming soon!!! :D

Scroll up a bit. He followed up with a retraction.

Retraction or no, to go so far as to say, in 2015, that the industry would be better off without what Microsoft has brought to it with Xbox, which clearly includes the innovation and bar raising that they they brought to the table with Xbox Live and online multiplayer on consoles, is insulting as well as bizarre. Moving on from it, but you would have to be insane not to be suspicious of that guy's motivations or intentions whenever he's doing anything relating to the Xbox brand.

It doesn't matter what Microsoft tried to do at the start with Xbox One. For anyone to have such a view in 2015, and to also at the same time be relied upon by readers & viewers to be fair where it concerns xbox, well, let's just say that trust would be incredibly difficult to come by. But won't be focusing on that stuff. Excited to see what Microsoft has in store with Scorpio.

hardseppo

Would be nice if they show the console and I guess they won't show new games before E3, but instead up-res Xbox One titles - can't wait to see Halo 5 in 4K or super-sampled to 1080p... might start playing again then.

Other contenders for patches should be Ryse, Forza's, Gears 4, Quantum Break etc.

Varg

Banned
Looking forward to it . I always enjoy a new hardware reveal . I'm sure the surface team have a great design .

Not if the CPU stays the same lol

Even with a Jaguar CPU, Scorpio with the reported specs achieves 1080p 60fps on Ryse EASY. I didn't say what I said hoping it can be done on Scorpio. I said what I said because I know it can be done on Scorpio. If there's any hope involved at all it's that they actually take the time to make it happen. The system can do it.

It's not using jaguar. :)

Randomizer

Can't really justify getting another platform especially one with so few exclusives that appeal to me. But competition is good for the industry, so still hoping for an excellent system with decent specs and would like to see their VR solution.

Microsoft doesn't need a ton of exclusives. Never did. They just need some damn good ones, and that are either on the new side, or represent them building on new IP that has potential.

Bioshocker

I own every console, and Microsoft have to do a Wii U level bounce-back to get me interested in Scorpio. My XB1S hasn't been used in ages.

Still really curious what they'll come out with, obviously.

What kind of a bounce-back is that...? Wii U never bounced back at all. It just... fell.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm hoping that their relative quietness has been because they're holding some games back for a Scorpio reveal. They won't be exclusive to Scorpio (we've had that clarified several times), but they'll be presented on Scorpio first and possibly marketed in a way to emphasise the power and just sort of 'oh Xbox one as well' in the background. I hope they'll go as close as they can to relaunching this as a new generation while sticking to the promise of all games working across Xbox one as well

RedAssedApe

Banned
i'm not expecting a price announcement until they start actually manufacturing these things...maybe they'll get lucky with the component costs like with the ps4 and its ram

opricnik

Banned
I'm hoping that their relative quietness has been because they're holding some games back for a Scorpio reveal. They won't be exclusive to Scorpio (we've had that clarified several times), but they'll be presented on Scorpio first and possibly marketed in a way to emphasise the power and just sort of 'oh Xbox one as well' in the background. I hope they'll go as close as they can to relaunching this as a new generation while sticking to the promise of all games working across Xbox one as well

If those games are also gonna launch on PC then it wont make big sense,because a day later some youtube channel will make video about PC vs Scorpio versions and latter will lost all glory and marketing of it.

Daffy Duck

Maybe another Tomb Raider....that would interest me a lot.

It also wouldn't hurt...

No need to defend a lack of games.

There is no lack of games. There is only a lack of knowledge on what they have in the pipeline for the coming years. Quantum Break, one of my favorite games ever, came out on Xbox One just last year. Even on the Playstation side, which is seeing a nice set of releases right now, a lot of what we know about is a ways off or doesn't even have a release date yet.

Shenmue
Kojima Title
God of War
Last of Us 2
Days Gone

and that's just to name a few. Horizon Zero Dawn's release doesn't really change this.

Sure you have titles like Persona 5, which will probably be one of the top 3 games this gen, probably #1 for an RPG fan like myself. but special releases like these aren't an every day, or even every year thing. Based on what has already released already, Microsoft has had a nice lineup of diverse games. The problem is, with Scalebound's cancellation, we lost something big people were looking forward to, and it leaves you wondering without knowledge of much else out there in the pipeline for xbox just what Microsoft has. I'm sure they'll more than answer that question this E3. I'm not really worried about that. Sea of Thieves is also a nice looking new IP releasing this year. And while I wasn't a fan of the previous crackdown games, maybe this one will manage to surprise me. Microsoft has games, they just need to announce more. We can't honestly expect Microsoft to have a new major IP every single year. It's not realistic and certainly doesn't occur that way for any other platform. I see Quantum Break as a pretty major release from them and an excellent game, and that was just last year. I think people overlook that fact.

Theorry

Shinobi just posted on twitter that there is Scorpio stuff happening next week (just confirming Jez). He added that he heard that the hardware is very impressive.
https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/848328892310056961

0zxkuak0i86x.gif

martino

let's see if they can show something to make me come back to them (outside showing software to get me later)

I wonder if MS can actually properly reveal this thing. Sony failed pretty badly with showing off the Pro. It's hard to tell people to be amazed at 4K though.

Shinobi just posted on twitter that there is Scorpio stuff happening next week (just confirming Jez). He added that he heard that the hardware is very impressive.
https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/848328892310056961

So it's real and not that surprising, a new console should be announced before E3, so it can have some mindshare before the E3 madness.

They at least need to say clearly what the specs are. The price will probably be announced at E3, but that would make the messaging more complex, because if the Scorpio really has amazing specs, everyone is going to wonder for months how expensive it's going to be.
Oh and they should also finally cater to the EU-citizens, I always felt that Microsoft is only interested in USA and UK.

The biggest problem with the Scorpio is the lack of exclusive titles, so at E3 they better show off some new games that are not Halo, Forza and Gears. Oh and some SP games.

There is no lack of games. There is only a lack of knowledge on what they have in the pipeline for the coming years. Quantum Break, one of my favorite games ever, came out on Xbox One just last year. Even on the Playstation side, which is seeing a nice set of releases right now, a lot of what we know about is a ways off or doesn't even have a release date yet.

Shenmue
Kojima Title
God of War
Last of Us 2
Days Gone

and that's just to name a few. Horizon Zero Dawn's release doesn't really change this.

Sure you have titles like Persona 5, which will probably be one of the top 3 games this gen, probably #1 for an RPG fan like myself. but special releases like these aren't an every day, or even every year thing. Based on what has already released already, Microsoft has had a nice lineup of diverse games. The problem is, with Scalebound's cancellation, we lost something big people were looking forward to, and it leaves you wondering without knowledge of much else out there in the pipeline for xbox just what Microsoft has. I'm sure they'll more than answer that question this E3. I'm not really worried about that. Sea of Thieves is also a nice looking new IP releasing this year. And while I wasn't a fan of the previous crackdown games, maybe this one will manage to surprise me. Microsoft has games, they just need to announce more. We can't honestly expect Microsoft to have a new major IP every single year. It's not realistic and certainly doesn't occur that way for any other platform. I see Quantum Break as a pretty major release from them and an excellent game, and that was just last year. I think people overlook that fact.

What is this?

Ushay

There are several huge games coming this fall ie Red Dead and Destiny. Would MS be targeting Console release to meet these games? Or would they forgo that and stick to November as usual? I feel like that would be a mistake.

Top Bottom