• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio to be shown off next week according to Jez C... (READ MOD POST)

sirap

Unusual timing, I would expect them to do the grand unveiling during E3 but maybe they want the spotlight all for themselves? Makes sense from that angle now that all the big hitters out of the way (Horizon, Switch, Zelda etc)

MoonFrog

Interesting. I think it's a good sign. Perhaps the pre-e3 show is game-heavy, if they're doing this now, which is what I think they need to get people into Xbox or MS store.

Or just to avoid the other announcements.

Plum

Whilst I've got little interest in buying the console, I'm interested in how Microsoft's going to set the console apart to really make it worthy of a purchase. If it's just a Pro-like "Xbox One for 4K TV Owners" I can't see it making a massive splash, but we'll see.

jelly

It actually wouldn't be a terrible idea to go through a third party like DF for this. Know your audience.

True, it would be good instead of something like their reveal trailer of uncompressed pixels etc.

I definitely think Microsoft will focus heavily on 'the best place to play' angle with Scorpio so Digital Foundry makes sense to start that ball rolling.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It actually wouldn't be a terrible idea to go through a third party like DF for this. Know your audience.
Especially since DF's write ups on the PS4 Pro were a million times more exciting and did a better job selling the hardware than Sony's own conference.

It's not a mystery what the features or library of this console are, people just want to know what it can do.

Interesting to show it off in early april, i guess they want to get the hardware stuff out of the way so they can focus on games at E3.

I like this strategy, spread the news out a little more so we got something to talk about during non-E3 time.
They said this.. Not sure where a maybe is needed.

It's likely to happen sooner rather than later to give room for E3.

Also a nice way to show what improvements old and current releases will have. A good time to show it.

Playstation was revealed in February. Switch was in October? I already forgot...

Hopefully releases in September....

Interested to see if they position this as 'just' a souped up X1 (a la PS4 Pro, more or less) or more like a new gen/new Phone generation with a promise software works on the OG X1, too.

Lifeline

Completely uninterested unless it's announced with a slew of exclusives. Even then, it's gonna be a tough sell. After playing GoW4 on my gaming laptop and it running much better than I expected, I'm more open to just playing the exclsuives on my PC instead.

If all they got is a Digital Foundry article and some screenshots of Forza Motorsport 7 or something then that is a shitty unveiling.

Frostman

I know a lot of people are perhaps expecting a cheaper price to appeal to a wider audience, but I'll be more interested if they just said sod it and it ends up £450+.

Traxtech

The thing is there isn't a whole ton of difference compared to most games and their pc counterparts, so what will the Scorpio bring to the table apart from improved graphics aka like the PS4 pro does? I think they should focus on getting their exclusives together and hopefully have a sneaky exclusive ready to go when it drops!

Plum

Interested to see if they position this as 'just' a souped up X1 (a la PS4 Pro, more or less) or more like a new gen/new Phone generation with a promise software works on the OG X1, too.

It would be best if they positioned it as the latter, I think. Despite having a Pro for 4 months now it still doesn't feel "finished", so to say. If you buy a Scorpio it needs to feel like you're buying something substantially better and well-defined, and stuff like a mandatory baseline for developers (i.e. no games under 1440p, no forced variable frame-rate nonsense) alongside very simple things like some acknowledgement in the UI will go a long way to achieving that.

fritzo

So whats the best route for MS to take? Show off console with specs now, then games games games at E3, right? Or the other way around?

It is my understanding that Eurogamer's article is going to focus on Scorpio specs and the console's overall approach, not games.

That said, with basic specs more or less already known, I am really curious which additional information they gathered (especially with regard to the CPU). What I don't expect is any word on price and new games.

Eurogamer is, to me, the logical choice. When discussing things like HDR implementation and 4K Digital Foundry is better equipped to tell the story than any other gaming site right now. They are trusted and mechanical.

Also the fact that XBOX took many a body blow in DF comparisons over the last 4 years it's critical that they have a comeup here. Time to try to regain foothold in the UK/Europe. This time there wont be regional delays as the console OS/store is already built.

RoKKeR

True, it would be good instead of something like their reveal trailer of uncompressed pixels etc.

I definitely think Microsoft will focus heavily on 'the best place to play' angle with Scorpio so Digital Foundry makes sense to start that ball rolling.

Especially since DF's write ups on the PS4 Pro were a million times more exciting and did a better job selling the hardware than Sony's own conference.

It's not a mystery what the features or library of this console are, people just want to know what it can do.

Yep, my thoughts as well.

JlNX

Yep so probably something similar to the xbox one s article with digital foundry, except you know probably spanned out over the week like a gameinformer cover story with interviews with architects and developers, design philosophy, features, os improvements, their long term plan etc. Should be really interesting to see what they learned from the xbox one. I think they will have a stinger, if you think about each Xbox console has had a key new feature design to push the industry forward I wonder if the scorpio will continue that trend.

Figured they would have saved it for E3?
Why? Microsoft has made a bit of a way of saying they want to show games.

And this E3 specifically Phil said they want to show games better and the feel they have done poorly on that recently.

But to be fair the games didn't have much to show and things like halo didn't have a ton of hype.

They need to get the system information out and very clear so we know what it is and what it does. Then see the games for what they are.

They would still need to show a new title along with it and show more ofit at E3 imo I think they will do this along with showing how it improves new games

Maybe they will show how it improves cod.

gaming_noob

For what it's worth I think Sneakers and Matt have hinted that MS don't really have any big surprise first party titles to announce (correct me if I'm wrong). I really hope that's not true.

RedRum

Banned
So whats the best route for MS to take? Show off console with specs now, then games games games at E3, right? Or the other way around?

If they reveal the specs now then they better fill that fucking E3 slot with games and not bullshit. I would personally have revealed specs at E3 in front of a live audience. I think, at this point, people want true specs.

Probably a sit down interview with the technical fellows or something. Get the full hardware details out of the way. Then show the box, release date and price at E3.

Makes sense to me for something like that. A full dedicated show is not needed and would be hard to fill the time without using up material better saved for E3.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Show off some impressive looking third party game, like this year's Asssasin's Creed.
May be a month early for the yearly AC unveil/leak but those games are generally well received and look really good. And will probably look super good on Scorpio.

Also they can show off some Crackdown gameplay, it's been 3 years now since the announcement.

they did an in depth tech spec reveal / review with eurogamer last year shortly after the Xbox One S announcement

So it would make sense. It would just be weird to do it before the actual console reveal.

For what it's worth I think Sneakers and Matt have hinted that MS don't really have any big surprise first party titles to announce (correct me if I'm wrong). I really hope that's not true.

What studio has even capacities for a surprise? I feel they either just released one or we know what they do. It must be a bought exclusive.

Detective

Yup, like they know what MS 1st party has in store /s

OT

Really can't wait to get my hands on new console.
Hope there will be Elite Control V2 and maybe Support for widescreen 21 9.

they did an in depth tech spec reveal / review with eurogamer last year shortly after the Xbox One S reveal.

So it would make sense. It would just be weird to do it before the actual reveal.

But it's already been revealed. There just wasn't a box or concrete details but it was technically revealed last E3

It sounds like they're letting Digital Foundry talk about it. I think at the very least they're going to be given the complete specs of the system, MS knows that they will compare this to Xbox One, PS4, and PS4pro. They'll probably taking a multiplatform game and show footage from each system, then show off PC footage that is close to what the Scorpio will be able to do. "As you can see scorpio is better at this this and this. "

That's what Microsoft likely wants to get out of the way, i'd be surprised if they actually gave them a Scorpio or unveiled the name, i would guess that stuff along with pricing would be at E3, but i could be wrong.

That's cool. I'm not sure I'm really interested in Scorpio but I'm always willing to take a look more in depth once all the details are out and about

Wollan

Probably best to do it properly now (prior to E3) as developers likely have or will have final specs any moment and a leak is bound to happen.

Zen yes/no?

HDMI 2.1 yes/no?

JlNX

Sneakers is completely unverified I don't know why people keep jumping to him, I think people are confused he is just as credible as any random person on Gaf. Also Matt has never claimed to be a all know authority on the inner working's of Ms, he has opinions and guesses which people unfairly pile on him for because they believe he has sources for everything he says or that everything he says is a fact.

Top Bottom