• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio to be shown off next week according to Jez C... (READ MOD POST)

Tagyhag

I'm surprised that they didn't wait until E3.

Maybe they're just going to show the system and its specs, and then the games + price at E3.

rokkerkory

Maybe they're just going to show the system and its specs, and then the games + price at E3.

Spencer already hinted this would happen a few weeks ago.

Hope it is DF because they would have the know-how on how best to do comparison videos, in-depth analysis etc.

Let's go! I don't think price will be announced btw, this is more about the capabilities of the machine.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Show what it can do with some existing titles now, show it with new games and announce price at E3.

JlNX

Digital Foundry has often said scorpio isn't capable of 4k or low balled the power and what Ms has said it's capable of doing. So is Ms deliberately doing this with DF to impress them or prove them wrong?

MCN

Banned

Consoles aren't revealed at E3 any more, it seems. I think the only recent one that was first revealed at E3 was the Xbox One S, and that's just a revision.

JJH

Can't wait. Show off the console and features at its own event and save more time at E3 for games.

My bet is no - maybe only minor tweaks

If it's a premium console I think it should come with at least one Elite controller. Hopefully if it does it will be a slightly improved one. I frigging love mine and even though it's working perfectly I think I'd buy another one if it had options kinda like the create your own controller thing that MS did a while ago.

wowzors

I am actually really looking forward to this. I didn't particularly care for my xbox one besides sunset overdrive, however the latest OS that just got pushed out is phenomenal. The system is running much smoother, it has me hopeful for what we see from the scorpio. I also hope gamestop or someone has a trade in promotion for it.

Honestly, I am impressed with Microsoft it sounds like they are listening, the OS was a disaster and has taken a while to fix but it looks like its well on its way. I think they may take to heart the cries for first party games with scorpio so hopefully were in for a surprise.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If it's a premium console I think it should come with at least one Elite controller. Hopefully if it does it will be a slightly improved one. I frigging love mine and even though it's working perfectly I think I'd buy another one if it had options kinda like the create your own controller thing that MS did a while ago.

I think it'll at least have the new rubberized controller. Elite if they want to go above $399.

Has to be Digital Foundry. They are the leaders when it comes to console tech info.

No way; DF would probably pull in a fraction as many views as IGN. I reckon it'll be either IGN (being the biggest website) or Game Informer (due to marketing agreements/store promotions with Gamestop).

It's cool and all what Jez is saying but I'd rather have MS confirm it themselves at this point. Unless it's indeed just an article by DF which to be honest would definitely feel a bit underwhelming compared to a reveal. I mean would they then release photos and a video of the system alongside it?

They don't need a special event for it but just dedicate a part of the MS event to Scorpio then. Reveal it there.

So it's supposed to be specs? If so, there's nothing exciting for me when it comes to specs. If E3 is where the new games are at, then I'm excited for that.

I think it'll at least have the new rubberized controller. Elite if they want to go above $399.

I'm honestly hoping they just ditch the old outdated controllers and switch to the paddle style at some point in time. It would bring the price down if it became mainstream.

It's cool and all what Jez is saying but I'd rather have MS confirm it themselves at this point. Unless it's indeed just an article by DF which to be honest would definitely feel a bit underwhelming compared to a reveal. They don't need a special event for it but just dedicate a part of the MS event to Scorpio then. Reveal it there.

Yeah there needs to some kind of official statement from MS. I sounds weird that they would reveal more about the console through some 3rd Party website.

Duxxy3

I hope the presentations go like this:

April reveal: Here's the hardware. Here's the price. Here's what it can do.

Let hype build up.

E3: Here's the games.

Dynomutt

No way; DF would probably pull in a fraction as many views as IGN. I reckon it'll be either IGN (being the biggest website) or Game Informer (due to marketing agreements/store promotions with Gamestop).

What about Polygon or The Verge? I see DF because they would be preaching to the choir.

v1lla21

Can't wait. I was let down when I got the one S but it was mostly because of how sluggish it is. Saw the thread on the improvements to the overall speed so I'm gonna hold out for the Scorpio to launch. Should be good.

IGN would give them more views, but they arent going to be as informative as the digital foundry guys, and it doesnt really matter because they are going to spend millions of dollars on a hype conference in June to sell this thing, and probably hundreds of millions advertising it in the fall.

Next week is probably going to be about giving a detailed explanation as to why you would want this platform, not about getting everyone and their moms attention. They have plenty of time to advertise this thing, messaging is key right now.

Putty

The one take away from DF doing it if its true IMO is that...i'm not expecting any surprises...in terms of..."we said 6tf but its actually 8tf". I know lots of peeps are hoping the 6tf figure is super conservative...I think a somewhat low key showing like this makes sense to keep peoples expectations in check. The amount of things i read on Twitter saying its going to run everything at 4k 60fps staggers me...

A thread without console warriors?!

tumbleweed%20dry.jpg

Let hype build up.

If I where a betting man, I'd guess that they are going to save the price reveal for E3.

Don't want to give Sony more time to make a decision on announcing a pricedrop at E3 right after the Scorpio's price is revealed. Which I am betting on is what is going to happen.

But, then again, it might give time for people to get used to the pricetag and hyped up so that a Pro pricedrop doesn't have as much effect.

rokkerkory

Let hype build up.

I would say it goes like this:

April: Here are the major details of the h/w and showing off a few games running native 4k vs others that cannot run same game at native 4k

May: Some more details come out in interviews, articles perhaps MS videos. Leaks of what h/w would look like. Leaks of price.

E3: Full reveal, price, h/w, launch games, etc

They need to build momentum with hype in April and May

jesu

DF would do the in depth technical breakdown then IGN and the rest would report on it like normal.

shoreu

This would be smart Generate Hype now. Finish off pricing then go all out with games.

They have to generate interest in games on their consoles again.

Theorry

DF is a smart idea. The people intrested in Scorpio and the main audience are the ones that follow DF stuff and the technical element of it all.

Colbert

Banned
The one take away from DF doing it if its true IMO is that...i'm not expecting any surprises...in terms of..."we said 6tf but its actually 8tf". I know lots of peeps are hoping the 6tf figure is super conservative...I think a somewhat low key showing like this makes sense to keep peoples expectations in check. The amount of things i read on Twitter saying its going to run everything at 4k 60fps staggers me...

I also do not expect surprises on the already known specs. As you already said elsewhere the memory speed is the most outstanding spec anyway.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Probably won't get pricing, but I'm hoping for some surprise software demonstrations. Scorpio will be an interesting console to follow up to its e3 reveal.

A fall launch would be interesting, but I get the feeling they'll opt for holiday blowout instead

Trago

I guess Maybe Microsoft thought it would be a good idea for a website to get all of the hardware stuff out of the way. Digital Foundry would make the most sense. Article and video detailing finial specs and what it means for multiplatform games going forward. That's all that we would need really.

Peltz

Phil Spencer said he wants to focus on games rather than hardware during E3 and implied Scorpio will be revealed prior.

The timing of this information makes sense given that statement.

Guys, I have a feeling Microsoft has been silent this year in preps for this hardware launch.... similar to how Nintendo was relatively silent for a year leading up to the Switch reveal. This e3 will be very big for both companies (I hope).

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Consoles aren't revealed at E3 any more, it seems. I think the only recent one that was first revealed at E3 was the Xbox One S, and that's just a revision.
Yea this seems to be the case.

Revealing early and before E3 didn't hurt the PS 4 or XBO.

The XBO was hurt by other things.

Top Bottom