• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio to be shown off next week according to Jez C... (READ MOD POST)

icespide

Banned
both the Xbox One and Xbox One S are pretty narrow consoles, they are mostly wider and taller. I wonder if with the Scorpio they can add a bit more depth (physically I mean) to the console while maintaining the width and height of the S instead of making the console giant.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I'm curious as to the size of the thing. The PS4 Pro is already pretty large, I wonder if they managed to come in around the same size.

I'm pretty sure it's going to resemble to One-S in appearance. Just larger. Maybe a different color.

I prefer it to be larger and dead silent like the OG one. I think they can make it dead silent and between the size of the OG one and one s. I hope they don't try go smaller than the one s and make it sound like my launch ps4 jet engine.

I'm curious as to the size of the thing. The PS4 Pro is already pretty large, I wonder if they managed to come in around the same size.

I'm pretty sure it's going to resemble to One-S in appearance. Just larger. Maybe a different color.

I'd rather them make the unit quiet just like the S and One before than worry too much on sizing. Since it'll have an internal PSU, I am sure it'll be larger than the S but hopefully not too much so.

IN PANOS WE TRUST

StereoVsn

Watch DF put up an article fully detailing the specs this Thursday without any teases or an announcement from MS themselves. It's all a bit unusual, isn't it? That's why I'm more and more expecting that it won't be having Ryzen tech. That in itself would be much more hype/brag worthy.

And some were thinking MS went to DF on purpose to prove them wrong about having Jaguar in there but nah, I don't think that's the case here.
Certainly the CPU is the biggest question around the platform. It's very unlikely to be Zen because of several AMD statements about custom SOCs but if somehow MS manages to come through and get a Zen CPU in there it would be quite a coup.

As pointed out by others and your feelings DF is the perfect place to announce the technical specs. People who are going to be interested in the Scorpio are the type who go to digital foundry. Since DF is so trusted if they give a thumbs up it makes Phil's job that much easier to sell this thing. If MS did it or ign people would be thinking it is all pr speak.

I definitely agree that DF is the place to go for tech specs! Honestly, I think that would be a really smart move on their part if this does happen. At the same time, I was kind of expecting an "event" where they just give us all the information for Scorpio.

The tech talk was the least interesting part of the PS4 Pro reveal for me though... So maybe they're onto something by giving that bit to DF. I love knowing that stuff, but I don't think it has a place at a reveal event. I'm slowly coming around to believing this DF rumor is the real deal. I'm just hoping we can see the traditional marketing stuff too. I wanna know what it looks like!

The marketing executive of Microsoft Brazil has tested the Scorpio last week it seems, and the channel Inside Xbox on Brazil also has a international interview about Scorpio this week

https://twitter.com/nelsonalvesjr/status/847194090521481217

"Dude, everytime @onorathi leaves a message on the Inside group it's a bomb, and he doesn't let me spread the news"

https://twitter.com/onorathi/status/847197840048771072

So he replies as the hype is real and a Scorpio symbol

https://twitter.com/nelsonalvesjr/status/848692557370589184

"@onorathi has tested the monster this week and we have a new Inside, coincidence?"

I know it's all but confirmed now, but it's always nice to see more people talking about it.
He also said:

There's going to be a international interview on inside this week :Scorpio symbol:

And have a good week :Scorpio symbol:

EagleEyes

If it uses Jaguar, how high can Microsoft realistically upclock it these days? I know sony got the Pro to 2.1 GHz last year so i'm just wondering what would be possible now.

You think a system that is going to comprise about 20% of all X1 sales for the holiday season is going to suddenly start getting exclusives? MS & Spencer believe this is going to sell to their most hardcore fans and have even said as much, while the X1 S continues to be the overwhelming majority of their hardware sales. They aren't going to just abandon a platform where the majority of their 3rd & 1st party software sales will be occurring on, all to pursue exclusives on a niche platform (barring VR titles).

You really should be thinking of this thing as a mid-generation upgrade, not a console onto itself. That has never been what the Scorpio is.
By exclusives, I mean games developed specifically for Scorpio and its specs, of course that will play in a lesser form on the One S and Xbox One. Once Scorpio does come out, all games from then on will be showcased on it and marketed hard. And I disagree with your last point. For a mid-generation upgrade, that's one hell of an upgrade. The amount of money that is going into the production of the scorpio for a pricey system that only a small chunk of people are going to buy is the definition of stupid, specifically if it's nothing more than a high priced xbox one before the release of something newer in 2-3 years. So no, I believe this IS the next generation console for MS, but they don't have to say that because of their new business plan of releasing every new game on the previous iteration.

By exclusives, I mean games developed specifically for Scorpio and its specs, of course that will play in a lesser form on the One S and Xbox One. Once Scorpio does come out, all games from then on will be showcased on it and marketed hard. And I disagree with your last point. For a mid-generation upgrade, that's one hell of an upgrade. The amount of money that is going into the production of the scorpio for a pricey system that only a small chunk of people are going to buy is the definition of stupid, specifically if it's nothing more than a high priced xbox one before the release of something newer in 2-3 years. So no, I believe this IS the next generation console for MS, but they don't have to say that because of their new business plan of releasing every new game on the previous iteration.

You may think it is, but it ain't. As for games developed for the Scorpio & its specs - everyone, particularly 3rd party, is going to develop towards the largest marketshare they can sell to for at least 2 or 3 more years, or as long as their software sales rate are as ridiculously high as they are, and those platforms are the PS4 & X1.

The big defining feature for Scorpio is going to be native 4K, which isn't exactly a format you can just sell to the audience by showing them a video. Everything being put into this machine is to enable native 4K support easily for all X1 titles. The X1 will remain the baseline, and since all games are still being intended to be sold in far larger quantities on the X1, you will still see them showcasing that, while still defining the whole "... and in Native 4K on Xbox Scorpio". Like, thats how they'll be showcasing this stuff.

I understand you want to believe that this is a new generation, but it ain't.

MCD

Were DF guys silent when the news broke out? Darkx, John etc?

If they were then it's pretty much confirmed, no?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
There is some alleged rumor that Red Dead Redemption 2 will be used in the Scorpio Demo along with Forza 7. Hope these rumors are true.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Would a massive 3rd party exclusive be totally out of the question? I've been toying with the idea of something like Fallout New Vegas 2 being Xbox exclusive, but then it would need to be Xbox Play Anywhere, meaning it would also be on PC, and then would it be exclusive to the Windows 10 store?

I think Microsoft are in a weird spot where 3rd party exclusive just means "Not on Playstation", and if you can still get everything on PC...

ViciousDS

Banned
both the Xbox One and Xbox One S are pretty narrow consoles, they are mostly wider and taller. I wonder if with the Scorpio they can add a bit more depth (physically I mean) to the console while maintaining the width and height of the S instead of making the console giant.

if its the size of the original xbox one.....I won't be mad, I just want it to be quiet as hell like the current offerings.

icespide

Banned
You may think it is, but it ain't. As for games developed for the Scorpio & its specs - everyone, particularly 3rd party, is going to develop towards the largest marketshare they can sell to for at least 2 or 3 more years, or as long as their software sales rate are as ridiculously high as they are, and those platforms are the PS4 & X1.

The big defining feature for Scorpio is going to be native 4K, which isn't exactly a format you can just sell to the audience by showing them a video. Everything being put into this machine is to enable native 4K support easily for all X1 titles. The X1 will remain the baseline, and since all games are still being intended to be sold in far larger quantities on the X1, you will still see them showcasing that, while still defining the whole "... and in Native 4K on Xbox Scorpio". Like, thats how they'll be showcasing this stuff.

I understand you want to believe that this is a new generation, but it ain't.

yep. realistically the norm going forward will be:

Scorpio version: Native 4k or very close to it
PS4 Pro: checkerboard 4k
PS4 and Xbox One will see similar results as they have the last few years (hopefully they don't degrade)

Anyone expecting huge generational type leaps with games on Scorpio are just setting themselves up for disappointment IMO. Though the machine will be a best and definitely have the best version of multiplats

quest

Not Banned from OT
There is some alleged rumor that Red Dead Redemption 2 will be used in the Scorpio Demo along with Forza 7. Hope these rumors are true.

Not chance rdr 2 is part of the technical reveal that is rumored for Thursday. Probably won't see any rdr 2 game play till Sony E3 conference since they have marketing rights.

icespide

Banned

Jez pretty much just said that RDR2 will be in native 4k on Scorpio. somehow that has been conflated into a rumor that MS is using RDR2 to showcase the Scorpio

Not chance rdr 2 is part of the technical reveal that is rumored for Thursday. Probably won't see any rdr 2 game play till Sony E3 conference since they have marketing rights.

You wont see RDR2 on the Sony stage... Rockstar is always doing their own thing.

geordiemp

If it uses Jaguar, how high can Microsoft realistically upclock it these days? I know sony got the Pro to 2.1 GHz last year so i'm just wondering what would be possible now.

If its the same 14/16 nm process, how would MS get Jaguar faster ? Ps4 pro is clocked as fast as it can go for the console type cooling.

So your answer is 2.1 Ghz unless MS put in a fancy cooler most likely.

Darklor01

Jez pretty much just said that RDR2 will be in native 4k on Scorpio. somehow that has been conflated into a rumor that MS is using RDR2 to showcase the Scorpio

I guess we'll have to wait and see. For me.. everything is a rumor.

Also, I've come up with two stupid names for it. One is convention fitting: Xbox Loop. The other, I just kinda find amusing: Xbox MoreK.

Don't you mean that report by Jez Corden that his sources said MS is going to showcase 4K on Scorpio with Battlefront 2 and RDR2? Because that's not necessarily going to be alongside Forza 7 I think.

I still think RDR2 will either be shown during Sony's show or Rockstar will show it on their own with more trailers and eventually those gameplay demonstrations.

icespide

Banned
Yep all I expect is a list of 3rd parties that support native 4k and RDR2 will be on it. That's it. We won't actually see it until DF gets their hands on it

Dynomutt

I feel every Scorpio must come with an elite controller as well.

Wouldn't that diminish the "Eliteness" on the Elite controller if it became the regular controller. I mean I certainly would not especially when the Elite sells for $149.99 MSRP they have to be making a decent profit on that. It's not impossible just impractical. I could see them including a revamped regular xbox controller "grips" improved plastics.

One thing MS does well is convince Xbox users about their hardware either through a better value proposition or a "premium" aspect. Side note, I think a good chunk of Scorpio Owners will actually be people who may have recently purchased a Xbox One within a 6 months to a year.

*I also see them expanding on the Elite product line and releasing a improved Elite Controller.

mike4001_

Were DF guys silent when the news broke out? Darkx, John etc?

If they were then it's pretty much confirmed, no?

Well ... what should they write about at the moment?

We have no new infos at the moment, just information that we will get new information this week ;-)

RDR2 4K native Scorpio showcase at MS conference? Why yes.
Show me that sexy gameplay.

It won't be shown there. If you want to see its gameplay, it'll be at the Sony conference. RDR2 is just going to get a big mention with a "and some of this fall's biggest titles including Destiny 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Star Wars Battlefront 2 will be launching with Native 4K support only on Scorpio".

They won't actually be shown at their stage, just mentioned when discussing the Scorpio support they'll be seeing from this Fall's biggest releases. Doesn't break their Sony marketing deals - you can talk about a feature native to your platform on your stage. For example, MS touted the EA Early Access launch for Star Wars Battlefront, despite the extensive marketing deal Sony had for the game.

Darklor01

Don't you mean that report by Jez Corden that his sources said MS is going to showcase 4K on Scorpio with Battlefront 2 and RDR2? Because that's not necessarily going to be alongside Forza 7 I think.

I still think RDR2 will either be shown during Sony's show or Rockstar will show it on their own with more trailers and eventually those gameplay demonstrations.

This is where I found the rumor source:
http://www.windowscentral.com/forza-motorsport-7-4k-project-scorpio-xbox

It's sketchy though because
Our list comes from marketing materials that include titles Microsoft wants to use to exemplify Project Scorpio's six-teraflops (TF), True-4K capabilities.
They're saying they have a list of titles to be showcased pointed at that quote.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Boo marketing rights. I was trying to see it early. xp
Forget RDR2, show us those new IPs and existing ones you've been saving for the Scorpio reveal.

Whats so funny? It's by & large the lead platform, is getting some form of content exclusivity for a limited time, and is going to be so heavily marketed with Sony branding that everyone is going to think its a Sony game, similar to Destiny. Just because there is a platform that will run it better than it doesn't change any of that.

Top Bottom