• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scorpio to be shown off next week according to Jez C... (READ MOD POST)

I don't care what the official MS line is at the moment, or what Phil Spencer says in the coming months, SCORPIO will have exclusive games within 2 years of it launching. They aren't willing to say this yet as it could sacrifice sales in the short term of XONE S and other hardware.

We will see a full VR system implemented and exclusive games.
Within 2 years sounds about right. I fully expect them to start announcing exclusives by next year's E3, possibly sooner.

EDIT: and i really hope they keep the name Scorpio. Xbox One X is okay, but Scorpio is night and day better.

rokkerkory

Scorpio exclusives would prob just be VR supported games.

I don't expect anything exclusive otherwise for a good 3 years until the S is end of life'd.

Haha!

charlie-day-conspiracy.jpg

jelly

Within 2 years sounds about right. I fully expect them to start announcing exclusives by next year's E3, possibly sooner.

If it's a Zen CPU, no doubt it has exclusives beyond VR in 3 years to become a cheap next gen console against the PS5 but Jaguar, no chance beyond VR.

So... How do we feel about VR support on Scorpio? I know it was passively mentioned during the reveal video, but Phil has seemed cagey on it since then. I remember seeing talk about potential Vive/Oculus support, but that just doesn't seem realistic to me.

At this point I only expect to hear that Scorpio can support those Win10 VR devices and that's it. Doesn't really seem to me that Phile and the team are interested in chasing high-fidelity VR until it really takes off.

cackhyena

No, i didnt ask

Im not crazy about it either, but it does make some sense especially after the S.

Well, "make sense" is a strong phrase, i guess i could totally see it.
Like, it's inviting every terrible Mountain Dew/Doritos meme right back into the spotlight. Shit is so 90's sounding.

thatJohann

That just seems confusing, as the One S supports 4K. Don't want to cause confusion around the SKU that will be the most popular for the foreseeable future.

Good point, altho I also heard on a podcast that the dev kits have mentions of 4K in the code as the system name.

other than that, i would prefer Xbox One X (XBX).

Then you'd have
  • Xbox One
  • Xbox One S
  • Xbox One X

Yes, but imagine I have a 4K TV but I want to play in 1080p supersampling mode...
That means I'll need to have 4K and 1080p texture packs.

Same for a Scorpio in a 1080p TV... I don't think it would download just the 1080p part.

So Scorpio games will be huge.... unless they come up with some new way of compressing/extracting files

No you wont.
A game that has Scorpio support will just install the Scorpio Version on your Scorpio Console. There is no need to use the OG XboxOne version.
You dont need a 4k TV for higher res Textures.

Like I said before, I am in no matter what they show.

I'm super exited for this. Just can't wait.

MS understands what I want 4k, HDR, 4k blu ray...............They get me.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The best thing about using S and X is eventually they can just drop the "One" branding and the X becomes the S

Xbox S2 - revised scorpio design (new low end)
Xbox X2 - new hotness

I mean that's probably what I would do if I was planning to have some console overlap.

It will definitely be interesting to see what they show off, but I can't imagine it will be anything I'm interested in. If you already have a high-end PC, "powerful console" just isn't a compelling attractor. I don't have a PS4 either. I bought a Switch because it actually provides a unique and interesting value proposition for me. I hope more hardware goes towards this path... something they can do that no one else can.

Like, it's inviting every terrible Mountain Dew/Doritos meme right back into the spotlight. Shit is so 90's sounding.

Honestly, i dont care about the name. I thought the name xbox 360 was just horrible and it kinda worked out for them.

Could be worse. Although, id prefer: Xbox One: Scorpio

I don't care what the official MS line is at the moment, or what Phil Spencer says in the coming months, SCORPIO will have exclusive games within 2 years of it launching. They aren't willing to say this yet as it could sacrifice sales in the short term of XONE S and other hardware.

We will see a full VR system implemented and exclusive games.

You think a system that is going to comprise about 20% of all X1 sales for the holiday season is going to suddenly start getting exclusives? MS & Spencer believe this is going to sell to their most hardcore fans and have even said as much, while the X1 S continues to be the overwhelming majority of their hardware sales. They aren't going to just abandon a platform where the majority of their 3rd & 1st party software sales will be occurring on, all to pursue exclusives on a niche platform (barring VR titles).

You really should be thinking of this thing as a mid-generation upgrade, not a console onto itself. That has never been what the Scorpio is.

Watch it be named something totally obscene like Xbox PlayersClub - Starring Ice Cube as the new voice over AI as they replace Cortana with Cube.

to turn your xbox one say " Aye Cube! " or " Wake up MADAFAKA!"
Splash logo screen is the first scenes inside the Players Club - Parental discretion advised*

If they make a case for it to be $500 then I think most people would be fine with it. Not having Kinect and being a gaming machine first and foremost helps soften that blow. Having hardware that then supports it costing that much becomes a major factor. Should be a fun time when they do finally announce price/specs.

$499 is a price that, so far, no piece of gaming hardware has launched at & had tremendous success; deep price cuts were needed in order to help the platform turn around. Scorpio's biggest defining feature is going to be Native 4K - you're going to be hearing about them rendering native 4K a lot these next few months. Outside of their rendering output, the platform doesn't have a huge leg-up on what it can sell to the audience other than raw power, and that simply isn't that big of a deal. MS/Spencer are very correct in postulating that the vast majority of the X1 sales this Q4 will be on X1 S and that the Scorpio will sell to a niche/smaller audience.

Top Bottom