• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus (Alien 'prequel' movie) starts shooting March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man

Seems like complete casting news is in as well as the start date for shooting: March 21st.
Update: Shooting started around March 8th in Toronto. Three weeks there and the remainder months in London. Also outdoors shooting in Scotland and Iceland.
Six months long shoot, quite lengthy. Source
Movie seems to be still based in the Alien universe despite some recent reports.

Director: Ridley Scott

Art advisor: H.R Giger

Release: June 8th 2012

Info: Officially one movie and complete tale and not two like earlier stated. Animatronic(s) made for practical effects and real full-sized sets. Filmed with no restrictions but theatrical cut is aimed for PG-13.
Movie is a slow crawl like the original Alien film with intense second half.
Shot with Red Epic cameras (capable of 5k resolution @ 120fps 3D).

DECEMBER 19th:

Official 30sec day 1 teaser up!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnlFIBNy8ko

Someone released day 2 teaser early! http://media.filmz.ru/apple/prometheus-countdown-intwodays_h480p.mov

November 26th:
Trailer leaks online (cellphone recording): *urls removed rapidly by studio*

0kzpL.jpg

July 21st - first official photo:
prometheus.jpg

Mobile phone images here: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50633
All 32 here: http://imgur.com/a/CM7gC#pzK6V (most are taken down rapidly)

Casting:

Patrick Wilson
patrick-wilson.jpg

Guy Pearce

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/confirmed_guy_pearce_joins_ridley_scotts_prometheus/

Emun Elliot
emun-elliott.jpg

Benedict Wong
Benedict_Wong_25345_1.jpg

Logan Marshall-Green
tn-500_marshallgre162785.jpg

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/logan-marshall-green-lands-prometheus/

Michael Fassbender
MichaelFassbender815.jpg

Noomi Rapace
960x.jpg

"She's a scientist and is very bright," she continued. "She's a believer. I think there are some similarities, but she's very much her own. I don't think people will compare her so much to Ripley once they see the movie."

Rapace was the first actor officially cast in "Prometheus," giving her plenty of time to build a working relationship with Scott.

"It's a great honor and I'm really excited," she said of working with the acclaimed director. "I've met him maybe seven or eight times and he's so passionate. He really loves movies. He watches movies every night. He's seen everything. We had a long chat on the phone — he's in LA now — about my character. I have many ideas and he has many ideas, and now we're starting to search and try to find her."

They better find her fast, too, as Rapace starts working on "Prometheus" by the end of the month: "I'm jumping into that straight off of ['Sherlock Holmes 2']. My character's name is Elizabeth Shaw, and I'll step into her shoes in March and be her for six months or something. It's quite a long shoot. It's unbelievable."

Idris Elba
idriselba.jpg

Kate Dickie
jekv3t4s9r8k9s83.jpg

Charlize Theron
Charlize_Theron-pic.jpg

Rafe Spall
rafe_spall_2.jpg

Sean Harris
sean-harris.jpg

Ridley Scott said:
"The film will be really tough, really nasty. It's the dark side of the moon. We are talking about gods and engineers. Engineers of space."
Wikipedia Prometheus said:
In Greek mythology, Prometheus (Ancient Greek: Προμηθεύς, "forethought")[1] is a Titan, the son of Iapetus and Themis, and brother to Atlas, Epimetheus and Menoetius. He was a champion of mankind, known for his wily intelligence, who stole fire from Zeus and gave it to mortals.[2] Zeus then punished him for his crime by having him bound to a rock while a great eagle ate his liver every day only to have it grow back to be eaten again the next day. His myth has been treated by a number of ancient sources, in which Prometheus is credited with – or blamed for – playing a pivotal role in the early history of mankind.

The resurgence of indie sci-fi films like Sunshine, Moon, and District 9 made me think that science fiction in film was about to undergo something of a renaissance. Seeing Ridley Scott return to the genre has me even more convinced; Alien and Blade Runner are still possibly the two best science fiction films ever made. I cannot possibly overstate my excitement.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Great cast but is it still a two part movie? They never work and never will.

There are select few directors working in the industry today that have earned the golden pass to make absolutely anything they want (sorry M Night). Ridley Scott is one of them. Ridley, you have my sword.

Man

CFMOORE! said:
interesting cast. it's ridley so i am in.
Sounds like his heart is truly into this one.
Quality casting, reuniting with H.R Giger, story set in the Alien universe but without the classical creature it seems (but something more mysterious/terrible according to Scott), longer shoot...
I'm expecting greatness.

Don't like Theron. But Idris Elba and Fassbender in the same movie together...damn that's so baller.

Scott's just...unreliable these days but his return to sci-fi is definitely something to be excited about.

Stezie88

Neo Member
Discotheque said:
Don't like Theron. But Idris Elba and Fassbender in the same movie together...damn that's so baller.

See, I really like Theron. I think that she'll make it worth checking out. I'm pretty sure I'll be renting this one instead of spending the $9 to see it in theaters. I've been disappointed enough.

spookyfish

All right, Scott: Let's do this.

And then Cameron can do the sequel. Maybe he needs that to learn how to make movies worth a damn again.

Man

Stezie88 said:
See, I really like Theron. I think that she'll make it worth checking out. I'm pretty sure I'll be renting this one instead of spending the $9 to see it in theaters. I've been disappointed enough.
You are going to skip Ridley Scott's return to sci-fi on cinema.
I would argue that the risk of disappointment is worth the potential reward here.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Man said:
Sounds like his heart is truly into this one.
Quality casting, reuniting with H.R Giger, story set in the Alien universe but without the classical creature it seems (but something more mysterious/terrible according to Scott), longer shoot...
I'm expecting greatness.
I can definitely get behind that.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
what in the fuck.

how are all of these big names signed on? wtf?

Blader

Jason's Ultimatum said:
So much for Fassbender doing Bourne Legacy.

He could still do it. His signing onto Prometheus is not recent, but Gilroy courting him for Bourne is, which makes me think it's not impossible for his schedule to fit both this and Bourne.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
There are sources now saying its no longer an official prequel. But, if it's anything like Scott's Robin Hood movie it technically is.

Man

Neuromancer said:
Any idea what time frame to expect for release? I know it's a bit early but like, is summer 2012 possible?
June 8, 2012 according to the story article.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
i realize this now.

I just thought they'd be going for a star trek approach with the leads being unknowns. Charlize theron is pretty big to me.

Zeliard

With this talk of "gods and engineers," and the OP noting the film still seems based in the Alien universe, Ridley doesn't seem to be abandoning the whole Space Jockey deal.

Man

PushTheButtonMax said:
Do we know for a fact that Giger is on board?
Advisory role for the artists.

PS! They have built an eight foot animatronic among other things... Practical effects for the win!

Zeliard said:
With this talk of "gods and engineers," and the OP noting the film still seems based in the Alien universe, Ridley doesn't seem to be abandoning the whole Space Jockey deal.
The company made the xenos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom