• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus (Alien 'prequel' movie) starts shooting March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddles

Banned
Early on in Alien, John Hurt's character explores the crashed spaceship and sees a the skeleton of a massive creature sitting in some kind of control chair with its ribcage broken outwards.

Angry Fork said:
I haven't seen Alien 1/2 in a looong time, can someone explain again what the space jockey is, why it's important and why everyone wants to know about it? I can't remember the beginning of Alien so I'm not sure what people are talking about when they mention it.
It's the gigantic creature that the Nostromo crew first encounters in Alien (the big giant skeleton).

It's never been confirmed what exactly they are, but if I remember correctly, Ridley Scott suggested they might have been a species using the xenomorphs as weapons, dropping the eggs on planets they were trying to destroy/invade.

BertramCooper said:
It's the gigantic creature that the Nostromo crew first encounters in Alien (the big giant skeleton).

It's never been confirmed what exactly they are, but if I remember correctly, Ridley Scott suggested they might have been a species using the xenomorphs as weapons, dropping the eggs on planets they were trying to destroy/invade.
If thats true, then I don't feel as sorry for the space jockey you see in Alien who got chest-bursted. I always had the impression they were benevolent and wise, don't know why.

Qwomo

Neuromancer said:
If thats true, then I don't feel as sorry for the space jockey you see in Alien who got chest-bursted. I always had the impression they were benevolent and wise, don't know why.
Yeah, same here. I guess it's because big dudes are way more chill.

Puddles

Banned
I really hope this turns out to be good. Shame At the Mountains of Madness got canceled, so this might be our best bet for horrifying creatures onscreen for the time being.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Neuromancer said:

There is no reason to imagine that the space jockeys with busted chest were the ones using the aliens. They could have been victims. Or am I forgetting something?

Man

Watching Alien now. Really love the handheld camera in this, hopefully they do a bit of that in this film.

Puddles

Banned
I watched Aliens the other day, and I realized that the first half of the film is kinda shit at times.

The second half is the greatest piece of scifi horror ever created, but man, there are some cringeworthy moments in that first half.

Mako_Drug

Ether_Snake said:
There is no reason to imagine that the space jockeys with busted chest were the ones using the aliens. They could have been victims. Or am I forgetting something?

BertramCooper said:

Also in the comics if you want to include those.

Fetts_Jets said:
Ridley Scott tease in the Alien Anthology Blu-ray set:

uUWtx.jpg

Prometheus has also just started shooting in Toronto at Pinewood Studios for next three weeks.
Fuck yes.

This movie needs to come out tomorrow. I believe.

Man

A layer of mist just above the eggs that reacts to movement...

Fluid drops from eggs falling upwards..

Movie magic here.

Ether_Snake said:

That massive egg chamber thing which was part of his ship (I think?) suggests they weren't just put there by xenomorphs.
It could be that this film features whatever was the intended target for those eggs.

I don't understand the need to have everything explained to you. The origins of the Space Jockeys and the xenomorphs are better left unexplained, as most people's imagination would be better than the real thing.

But even when Hollywood needs to explain something, it's never simple. It would be great if the Space Jockeys were just an advanced spacefaring alien species, and the xenomorphs were just...gasp, aliens. But no, the xenomorphs have to be a biological weapon created by the Jockeys, who are in turn remnants of a precursor race or some hackneyed explanation like that.

Summary Man said:
I don't understand the need to have everything explained to you. The origins of the Space Jockeys and the xenomorphs are better left unexplained, as most people's imagination would be better than the real thing.

But even when Hollywood needs to explain something, it's never simple. It would be great if the Space Jockeys were just an advanced spacefaring alien species, and the xenomorphs were just...gasp, aliens. But no, the xenomorphs have to be a biological weapon created by the Jockeys, who are in turn remnants of a precursor race or some hackneyed explanation like that.
I wouldn't worry about Prometheus ruining any of the ambiguity.

Everything I've read suggests a very tenuous connection to the Alien films. It's there, but it's not substantial.

lifa-cobex

Hopefully it will be taken in a new direction.

As much as i love the first three alien films, Another would probably not have the same amount of value to me.
I hope it's tailored more towards the fans and not the mass produced crap I've seen in recent years. e.g resurrection and the avp's
personal opinion

I have faith in R Scott.
I would love it if he did a combination with Blade Runner.

lifa-cobex said:
Hopefully it will be taken in a new direction.

As much as i love the first three alien films, Another would probably not have the same amount of value to me.
I hope it's tailored more towards the fans and not the mass produced crap I've seen in recent years. e.g resurrection and the avp's
personal opinion

I have faith in R Scott.
I would love it if he did a combination with Blade Runner.
I hope it captures a similar atmosphere as Alien, but obviously with a completely new storyline.

Alien is the only one in the series that's a bona fide masterpiece. Aliens is great, but Alien is on a completely different level.

Holy shit I need this movie now. For many years I've wondered about the Space Jockey I am glad they are going to potentially be part of the film. Hopefully they don't 'change the design as the pilot in Alien is fuckin horrific looking. Creepiest part of the whole movie imo.

lifa-cobex

BertramCooper said:
I hope it captures a similar atmosphere as Alien, but obviously with a completely new storyline.

Alien is the only one in the series that's a bona fide masterpiece. Aliens is great, but Alien is on a completely different level.

Completely agree with you.

There are very few films that create such a terrifying atmosphere while managing to maintain it's mystery at such a level.
Hell you don't even learn that much about the characters but i felt for them.
Plus the side elements going on like the Alien ship and Ash. Nothing gets explained but you know it's deep.

I could rant for pages on the soundtrack. Loved the song at the credits.

What’s great is that, being completely standalone, this film has no obligations to the franchise as a whole, leaving opportunity for surprises and risks to be taken. At the same time, they are still borrowing some elements (androids, aliens, space jockeys) that made that universe interesting in the first place.

It really is the best of both worlds.

Also, some guy has a lead role in the film now:
logmarsh.jpg

Ridley Scott and 20th Century Fox have tapped Logan Marshall-Green to play a lead role in Prometheus, the science fiction film that Scott next directs. Marshall-Green will play the role of Holloway,
a crewman on the space ship and the love interest for the character played by Noomi Rapace.
Rapace, the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo star, was the first castmember set by Scott. Marshall-Green most recently was seen in Devil and Brooklyn's Finest, and did stints on The O.C. and 24. He's repped by 3 Arts and Gersh. This was a role that a lot of young actors chased, and who wouldn't want to be involved in Scott's first sci-fi foray since Alien and Blade Runner?

The film also stars Michael Fassbender and Charlize Theron, with Idris Elba, Sean Harris and Kate Dickie playing smaller roles. Shooting begins in March on a film that started as a prequel to Scott's seminal science fiction film Alien but morphed into something else. The original script was by Jonathan Spaihts, but the most recent draft is by Damon Lindelof. Shooting begins shortly in the UK.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/logan-marshall-green-lands-prometheus/

More casting and some rumored Pinewood sightings...
Call sheet said:
Charlize Theron - Vickers
Idris Elba - Janek
Emun Elliott - Chance
Benedict Wong - Ravel
ELLIOTTE.jpg
38951.gif

Though security on the set is very tight with the good weather, dock doors have been open and cast and crew have been enjoying lunch outdoors.
I can confirm seeing
3 aliens having lunch. Not the whole costume but blueish costumes and the unmistakable heads hanging around their shoulders
The alien heads were the same shape but no markings, only a plane bronze colour. As for the suits black boots and shoulder pads the rest was a Chelsea blue body suit could be for SFX, all the sets around the back of the bond stage have huge green chromokey maybe that's a clue.
I have witnessed foam cut outs of unmistakable aliens all cut in half lengh ways so they could be in the floor walls etc and very much from the original film.
I managed to enter the bond stage one weekend when no filming was sheduled all I can say is there is a very very long tunnel that leads to an enormous structure at the back of the stage which is the same height as the stage and probably extends out another 200 ft.

Replicant

Memphis Reigns said:
Holy shit I need this movie now. For many years I've wondered about the Space Jockey I am glad they are going to potentially be part of the film. Hopefully they don't 'change the design as the pilot in Alien is fuckin horrific looking. Creepiest part of the whole movie imo.
I was filled with awe when they first entered that chamber. I couldn't figure out if that was a statue or real thing but the whole thing was giving me the creeps. It really gives you the impression that we're not the only species in space but if they are that imposing then we're fucked!

Dead

well not really...yet
Still kind of find it hard to believe that this is actually in production.

Even when it was announced it still felt like a pipe dream in the back of my mind and at any moment Scott would anounce a new project that he'd be directing next

Antagon

Dan said:
My interest was regained when they said it wouldn't be an Alien film, then plummeted again when that didn't turn out exactly true. I don't know how they can pull it off without ruining Alien as the first time mankind encountered xenomorphs.

Alien wasn't the first time mankind encountered Xenomorphs. How else would the company know about the aliens on the ship?

Also, just saw Alien for the first time in its entirety (through the anthology). It's amazing how well a lot of the effects hold up. Hopefully they won't rely too much on CG in the prequel.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Antagon said:
Alien wasn't the first time mankind encountered Xenomorphs. How else would the company know about the aliens on the ship?
There's no explicit implication that the company knows exactly what's on the ship, just that it's not human and they want it. It's just a slightly more sinister version of what they all are told is in their contract, that they're required to investigate signs of life. I don't think it makes any sense to believe the company knew about xenomorphs specifically. If they did know, they wouldn't be using a random commercial vehicle to pick up a specimen. They'd immediately realize its potential value and send a properly prepared team to get it.

JdFoX187

Banned
If Guy Pearce is in this movie, it could have the greatest cast in movie history. And we still don't know anything about what's going on with it.

Confirmed.
The Playlist has confirmed with reps for the actor, that Guy Pearce has joined “Prometheus.” There’s no word yet on what his role in the film is, but he’s joining an already solid cast in the film that both is and isn’t a direct prequel to “Alien”—essentially, it will take place in the same world with some connective DNA stringing the two films together, but how much more than that remains to be seen.

Timbuktu

Synth_floyd said:
I thought the movie has nothing to do with Alien now. A "spiritual prequel" perhaps?

I rather like this Portal/half-life kind of link. And that is one serious and bad-ass cast, who would the comic relief to release the tension, they all seem like very intense kind of actors.

Raydeen

I always had the notion that the Xenomorphs were a form of silkworm that the Jockey's use to fashion their ships / buildings, but for the one on LV426, it all went a bit pare shaped. I would have like to have seen the sequel that Peter Briggs pitched, with giant thunderbird style ships coming to carry off the derelict to an off-world laboratory for investigation. Still this sounds solid, hopefully Fox don't cheap skate Ridley with cuts in budget that cost us his Shwarznegger / I Am Legend version (sigh).

LowParry

I'm hoping we get to see a set piece that's similar to the one we saw in Alien with the alien ship and all the eggs. There's was that big creature of the sort as well. It's been a long time. But was that considered the pilot of the ship or something else?

Wow, I'm super psyched at Guy Pearce getting cast in this. He's such an awesome actor. I always thought he would end up being a A-list star, but perhaps he prefers being a bit more obscure.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
BertramCooper said:
Wow, I'm super psyched at Guy Pearce getting cast in this. He's such an awesome actor. I always thought he would end up being a A-list star, but perhaps he prefers being a bit more obscure.

look at his movie list the year after MEMENTO. he was ready to break out. then, TIME MACHINE. which effectively made his breakout go poof.

or, that's the theory i guess. fassbender also had a couple of big breakout performances and now is in a metric ton of things. i hope the one he's starring prominently in doesn't flop to high hell or else we'll have another guy pearce on our hands.

beelzebozo said:
look at his movie list the year after MEMENTO. he was ready to break out. then, TIME MACHINE. which effectively made his breakout go poof.

or, that's the theory i guess. fassbender also had a couple of big breakout performances and now is in a metric ton of things. i hope the one he's starring prominently in doesn't flop to high hell or else we'll have another guy pearce on our hands.
I have a feeling that one of these days he's going to get a particularly juicy role and seriously compete for an Oscar.

But damn, the man deserves to be a star.

Zeliard

Dan said:
There's no explicit implication that the company knows exactly what's on the ship, just that it's not human and they want it. It's just a slightly more sinister version of what they all are told is in their contract, that they're required to investigate signs of life. I don't think it makes any sense to believe the company knew about xenomorphs specifically. If they did know, they wouldn't be using a random commercial vehicle to pick up a specimen. They'd immediately realize its potential value and send a properly prepared team to get it.

Could this potentially be some first encounter with the xenomorphs that ended up being lost to history, for whatever reasons?

Or maybe they never encountered the xenomorphs at all because they hadn't been created yet, but they do encounter the Space Jockeys.

This line right here makes me consider that: Speaking to MTV on February 12, 2011, Fassbender stated the film was still an Alien prequel, saying, "Prometheus is absolutely connected to Alien... There's a definite connecting vein."

Could that "connecting vein" be the Space Jockeys? Ridley Scott keeps mentioning "engineers of space" as well, which always struck me as a direct reference to the SJ.

Puddles

Banned
So if those rumors are true, I'm all over this film.

Do we really need to spoiler tag the possibility that
xenomorphs are in the film?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom