• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus (Alien 'prequel' movie) starts shooting March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utako

Banned
Summary Man said:
I don't understand the need to have everything explained to you. The origins of the Space Jockeys and the xenomorphs are better left unexplained, as most people's imagination would be better than the real thing.

But even when Hollywood needs to explain something, it's never simple. It would be great if the Space Jockeys were just an advanced spacefaring alien species, and the xenomorphs were just...gasp, aliens. But no, the xenomorphs have to be a biological weapon created by the Jockeys, who are in turn remnants of a precursor race or some hackneyed explanation like that.
What if the story is awesome, and totally adds to (even enhances!) your enjoyment of the older films?

Dead

well not really...yet
http://www.expressen.se/1.2412716

In this Swedish interview from a few days ago, Fassbender mentions that the budget is about $150 Million (the same number we heard in those stories several months ago)

Yeah, no way this this is R if thats the case...

Buckethead said:
Can this movie retroactively erase Alien 3 and Resurrection from existence please?

No because Alien 3 is a beautiful film with a great cast by a brillaint director and the fitting ending to the series. May not be the sequel to Aliens everyone wanted but it doesn't stop it from being a good movie.

Decado

Dead said:
http://www.expressen.se/1.2412716

In this Swedish interview from a few days ago, Fassbender mentions that the budget is about $150 Million (the same number we heard in those stories several months ago)

Yeah, no way this this is R if thats the case...
Shit. I'd rather the budget be 50m and R-rated.

Soooooo sick of the push towards PG-13 for so many movies.

Dead

well not really...yet
The push to brand and sell the movie as something other than an Alien movie is probably the definite indicator that it will be PG-13 I guess

Warm Machine said:
No because Alien 3 is a beautiful film with a great cast by a brillaint director and the fitting ending to the series. May not be the sequel to Aliens everyone wanted but it doesn't stop it from being a good movie.
I like you.

Alien 3 was a terrible misfire by pretty much everybody involved. It isn't a terrible film, but it is an extremely mediocre film by an extremely talented director.

- J - D -

astroturfing said:
major EWW at bolded. holy fucking shit, i can't think of any 4 films that go against my tastes more.

:(

Then your tastes are very narrow because those 4 films are fairly disparate in terms of aesthetics and style.

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
Then your tastes are very narrow because those 4 films are fairly disparate in terms of aesthetics and style.

yeah i dunno, they're all really "epic" blockbusters which i guess turn me off. and 2-3 of those are JJ Abrams films right? can't stand anything he has made so far. went to see Star Trek and it was just a shocking disappointment, film had zero interesting content. tried watching Lost many years ago too and it just made me more angry every episode.

i hope Prometheus is a bit more subtle and less in-your-face than those films. the less explosions the better. the less predictable close call situations the better (how many times was someone hanging from a ledge in Star Trek lol?). the less chase sequences the better. the less embarrassing "witty" dialogue the better. the less fast cut shaky camera garbage the better.. and so on and so on.

Blader5489 said:
Super 8 isn't even out yet!

saw a trailer or teaser or whatever it was.. that was enough for me.

edit: wait, what is the movie actually about? for some reason i thought it's about superheroes or some boring shit.. but it's not? it's sci-fi? aliens? what?

Jonm1010

Banned
astroturfing said:
yeah i dunno, they're all really "epic" blockbusters which i guess turn me off. and 2-3 of those are JJ Abrams films right? can't stand anything he has made so far. went to see Star Trek and it was just a shocking disappointment, film had zero interesting content. tried watching Lost many years ago too and it just made me more angry every episode.

i hope Prometheus is a bit more subtle and less in-your-face than those films. the less explosions the better. the less predictable close call situations the better (how many times was someone hanging from a ledge in Star Trek lol?). the less chase sequences the better. the less embarrassing "witty" dialogue the better. the less fast cut shaky camera garbage the better.. and so on and so on.

edit: wait, what is the movie actually about? for some reason i thought it's about superheroes or some boring shit.. but it's not? it's sci-fi? aliens? what?

You realize that the art staff doesn't write and direct the movies right? Not sure how his inclusion on the project means the film could be like the bolded.

astroturfing said:

Lol, this guy. What the hell.

astroturfing said:

What trailer did you see?

astroturfing said:

...the fuck?

Dreams-Visions said:
Lol, this guy. What the hell.

well i apologize. i just lost it when i saw someone associated with completely terrible movies like Super 8 (it will be average at best you know it), Cloverfield, Avatar and Star Trek is also associated with this movie.

whenever i hear of a new sci-fi movie, i always pin my hopes on it not being trite and forgettable like JJ Abrams' movies. i thought this could be a great one. i know it can still be but what i'm hearing so far isn't reassuring.

t-storm said:
Didn't you know? astroturfing is so hip, so cool!

great, an ad hominem. that's also quite laughable for one. you think my taste in things i like is determined by how cool i think i will appear to people? LOL. your silly personal attack says a lot about how you think though.

Blader

astroturfing said:
well i apologize. i just lost it when i saw someone associated with completely terrible movies like Super 8 (it will be average at best you know it), Cloverfield, Avatar and Star Trek is also associated with this movie.

whenever i hear of a new sci-fi movie, i always pin my hopes on it not being trite and forgettable like JJ Abrams' movies. i thought this could be a great one. i know it can still be but what i'm hearing so far isn't reassuring.

:lol

You're talking about one guy on the design team and acting as if he has taken Ridley's job.

Blader5489 said:
:lol

You're talking about one guy on the design team and acting as if he has taken Ridley's job.

yea i know, i know. i came off ridiculous. it's just that those 4 movies are so goddamn anti-everything that i appreciate about movies :D i could not do anything but overreact.. i shouldn't have posted at all but i lost my ability to reason and now it's too late.

i'll shut up. i like Ridley and i have faith it will be a worthwhile movie. i reaaaally just hope it's more sci-fi and less action, so i could enjoy it more.

astroturfing said:
major EWW at bolded. holy fucking shit, i can't think of any 4 films that go against my tastes more.

:(

Don't worry. Scott'll keep that shit in line.

Really hope Pearce is actually in the movie, that'd be pretty awesome.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Okay, two things I'm lost on...

1) Is this or is this not going to be a prequel to Alien?

2) Where the heck is my friend MetalAlien in this thread?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Do the aliens turn out different depending on their host?...... just because aliens 3 had a different alien and because the one from the first movie on the alien ship seemed to have been huge going of the hole in the chest.

Marathoned the BD of the Alien and Predator movies the other week.

astroturfing said:

Wait... you call those movies "completely terrible" before stating one, that you haven't seen, will be "average" and dismissing someone on it's design team... when the design has yet to be revealed? Hmmm....

Really though, I want dark Gieger style stuff for this film.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Do the aliens turn out different depending on their host?...... just because aliens 3 had a different alien and because the one from the first movie on the alien ship seemed to have been huge going of the hole in the chest.

Marathoned the BD of the Alien and Predator movies the other week.
Yes.

The alien in the first film also seemed to retain certain elements of Kane's subconscious. This aspect of the alien was discarded in the later films.

Edmond Dantès said:
The alien in the first film also seemed to retain certain elements of Kane's subconscious. This aspect of the alien was discarded in the later films.

wat

I'd love to see the doctorate thesis-level analysis of Alien that explains that!...Unless of course there is some behind the scenes documentary where one of the film-makers straight up says so.

In all seriousness though, I do love when movies/literature are deep enough to warrant this level of analysis, even if I don't always agree with the conclusions.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Rodney McKay said:
wat

I'd love to see the doctorate thesis-level analysis of Alien that explains that!...Unless of course there is some behind the scenes documentary where one of the film-makers straight up says so.

In all seriousness though, I do love when movies/literature are deep enough to warrant this level of analysis, even if I don't always agree with the conclusions.
The infamous supposed 'rape' of Lambert.

In the earlier parts of the film you get a sense that Kane had a thing for Lambert and vice versa, now the theory is that the alien did what it did to Lambert because of the subconscious desire the alien retained from Kane.

Like I said, just an interesting theory. Which makes the alien seem that much more vile, rather than just predatory.

Darkmakaimura said:
Okay, two things I'm lost on...

1) Is this or is this not going to be a prequel to Alien?

Yep last I heard it wasn't an Alien prequel anymore and just a new sci-fi film, either way I'm glad Ridley Scott is doing Dark Sci-Fi Horror again.

Edmond Dantès said:
In the earlier parts of the film you get a sense that Kane had a thing for Lambert and vice versa, now the theory is that the alien did what it did to Lambert because of the subconscious desire the alien retained from Kane.

Like I said, just an interesting theory. Which makes the alien seem that much more vile, rather than just predatory.
I never got that sense from the film, especially with Kane's limited time on screen. If anything, the only implied relationship was between Ripley and Dallas. I think Lambert's "rape" was the result of her being the only female to fall victim to the alien.

Anyway, Michael Fassbender is doing his X-Men rounds:

Metro said:
Regarding “Prometheus,” this was rumored to be an alien prequel but that has not been confirmed. Any comment?
Hmm shall I cause controversy? Um, no. The thing is, it’s not a prequel. It definitely is separate. It is a separate story, but there are threads that connect the stories.

Is Prometheus an alien?
Well Prometheus is basically a Greek god that stole fire from the gods so that he could give humans equal footing with them. And then he got sort of tied up to a tree or rock and then an eagle comes down and eats his liver each day and it regrows and he eats it, regrows so figure it out. How can you tie that into space?
The Alien Prequel News blog, in my opinion, did some very astute speculation on that last bit:
Well if you ask me, so far it sounds like a story about
humans trying to steal terraforming technology from an advanced alien race but not being quite comfortable with how to use this technology, so of course something goes wrong and they have to pay for it.
But I guess we'll just have to wait and see....

Also, the first set photo of nothing (apparently hiding behind the crates are vehicles):

81xgt.jpg

BertramCooper said:
I hope it captures a similar atmosphere as Alien, but obviously with a completely new storyline.

Alien is the only one in the series that's a bona fide masterpiece. Aliens is great, but Alien is on a completely different level.

Yes.

lifa-cobex said:
Completely agree with you.

There are very few films that create such a terrifying atmosphere while managing to maintain it's mystery at such a level.
Hell you don't even learn that much about the characters but i felt for them.
Plus the side elements going on like the Alien ship and Ash. Nothing gets explained but you know it's deep.

I could rant for pages on the soundtrack. Loved the song at the credits.

And yes.

Alien is without flaw.

Erigu

Blader5489 said:
There would also be Damon Lindelof... And I'd be more worried about that part.

From the Licensing International Expo:

LDXwB.jpg

And leaked set photos that were taken down by Fox on the original site:

BOXJe.jpg

QonG0.jpg

A "teaser" image that never got fully revealed:

8nz0c.jpg

Man

Some news:

Creature designer speaks out:

"My approach is nervous," he said with a smile. "I approach Ridley with great nervous energy because it is such an undertaking. ['Alien'] was the movie that inspired everything for me, not just creature design, but filmmaking in general," he admitted. "It is a huge undertaking to try and take it to the next level; to make Ridley proud, to make [H.R.] Giger proud, there's a lot involved with that."
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/06/17/prometheus-ridley-scott-alien/

Another image of the license poster:

prometheus-banner.jpg

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=19571

Also, Charlize Theron will spend a week on Iceland for some Prometheus shooting there!
http://www.icelandreview.com/icelan...ley_Scott_Movie_in_Iceland_0_378865.news.aspx

Kimosabae

Banned
My attachment to these films run kinda deep.

I had a large crush on Sigourney Weaver (and Linda Hamilton) growing up. It was because of these films. I was raised by a single mother, who is/was stubborn as hell. Ellen Ripley/Weaver is the pillar of womanly strength that never fails to make me think of her.

ripley.jpg

*swoon*

Anyways, with a budget of 150 million and 3D, no way in the hell will this be more 'Alien' than 'Aliens'.

With the exception of no Sigourney Weaver (*sniff*), I'm okay with that.

nomis

Kimosabae said:
Anyways, with a budget of 150 million and 3D, no way in the hell will this be more 'Alien' than 'Aliens'.

Even if Ridley Scott ends up having to do his best James Cameron impression and have plenty of action, that will still be a sight to behold.

But really, I think the impossible may have happened and Fox is actually giving an Alien-like movie the budget it deserves. Keep in mind that there was a report saying the budget was CUT DOWN to $150 million after the executives took a look at Lindelof's final script and realized the plot wasn't completely centered around arbitrary action setpieces at set intervals, which is pretty much the formula for writing a blockbuster action movie these days. That means the budget was going to be even higher when they thought it was shaping up to be a more stereotypical tentpole action movie.

Can someone link me to a video of the Space Jockey scene? My efforts on youtube have been for naught. I am really intrigued by it. I even read the alien wiki about the thing! I WANT TO SEE VIDEO DAMMIT

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Man said:
Another image of the license poster:

prometheus-banner.jpg
I think that banner design pretty well captures the fear and terror that film will inspire.

On topic: The promethius banner to the left isn't to shabby either ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom