• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus (Alien 'prequel' movie) starts shooting March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kimosabae said:
I had a large crush on Sigourney Weaver (and Linda Hamilton) growing up. It was because of these films. I was raised by a single mother, who is/was stubborn as hell. Ellen Ripley/Weaver is the pillar of womanly strength that never fails to make me think of her.
*swoon*
So what you're saying is... you had some kind of Oedipus complex? :p

RS4-

Fetts_Jets said:
LDXwB.jpg

Looks like something I should do to my PC case

Kimosabae

Banned
FunkyPajamas said:
So what you're saying is... you had some kind of Oedipus complex? :p

:/

To be fair, I didn't place the character in this context until watching the movies again well into adulthood. I was able to reanalyze my attachment to the character with new perspective.

But, yeah, maybe.

;/

Blader

Damon Lindelof explains the connection between Alien and Prometheus:

“It started as an Alien prequel. That is what everybody wanted it to be. Obviously, Ridley Scott has not made a science fiction movie in 25 years, since Blade Runner, so the idea that he’s returning to this genre is huge. But there is a real issue which is — what is the state of the Alien franchise at this point in our lives? There has been Alien vs. Predator and all these things, and its been completely and totally diluted. I’ve always felt that really good prequels should be original movies. And the sequels to those prequels should not be the movie which already exists because, with all due respect to anyone who makes a prequel, but why would you ruin the greatest twist in the history of cinema, “Luke, I am your father”, by showing me three movies which basically spoil that surprise. You can do movies which take place before Star Wars, but I don’t need to see the story of the Skywalker clan. Show me something else which I can’t guess the possible outcome of. There is no suspense in inevitability. So a true prequel should essentially proceed the events of the original film, but be about something entirely different, feature different characters , have an entirely different theme, although it takes place in that same world. That was my fundamental feeling about what this movie wanted to be

“And truth be told, it wasn’t script doctoring in the strictest sense because the draft that existed before I came on was written by this guy named Jon Spaihts and it was very good. And there were a lot of things in the movie, Prometheus, which were Jon Spaihts and I feel like somewhere in the media reconstruction of this story, the tale is that I come in, I pitch an entirely new story, and its so original that everything else gets thrown out and that’s what we’re doing. In my brain, that’s not exactly what happened. But I also do feel that this movie is the movie I would want to see as a fanboy, take place in that Alien universe, which precedes the events of the original Alien, but is not necessarily burdened by all the tropes of that franchise with Facehuggers and Chestbursters, and all that stuff that I love…but its sorta like, we’ve seen it before, can we do something different this time? And thats the movie that Ridley wanted to make. And when you’re working with an auteur, you basically just shut your mouth and listen and try to transcribe and channel the vision of that person, and get out of the way.”

So basically, it's a prequel to Alien but doesn't lead into Alien.

Zeliard

Has to be about the Space Jockeys. If they want to still have some tenuous link between the two franchises and mostly ignore the Xenomorphs themselves then that's really the only way to do it.

This guy gets it.

And the sequels to those prequels should not be the movie which already exists because, with all due respect to anyone who makes a prequel, but why would you ruin the greatest twist in the history of cinema, “Luke, I am your father”, by showing me three movies which basically spoil that surprise. You can do movies which take place before Star Wars, but I don’t need to see the story of the Skywalker clan. Show me something else which I can’t guess the possible outcome of. There is no suspense in inevitability.
So true, so true.

Neuromancer said:
This guy gets it.

So true, so true.

I agree, but there is a certain something about seeing the events unfold, even if you know how it ends.

We know what happens to the SJ, but we don't know how he/it ends up in that position, what exactly takes place that ends with it in the cockpit with an alien queen(?) in its chest.

It was the same with the SW prequels, I always wondered what took place that resulted in Vader donning the suit and while the explanation wasn't as good as I'd hoped, it did serve a purpose, it gave the character a little more depth, made his story that little bit more tragic.

Carbonox

Seriously cannot wait for this. I also love how it's a prequel without necessarily setting up the events for Alien. Inevitability can sometimes be done well or at least have good intentions, but isn't really a favorable route to take for me. A standalone prequel is something I wish other filmmakers would take in to consideration when wanting to expand on a franchise.

Some real juggernaut films coming out next year.

Mako_Drug

Speedymanic said:
I agree, but there is a certain something about seeing the events unfold, even if you know how it ends.

We know what happens to the SJ, but we don't know how he/it ends up in that position, what exactly takes place that ends with it in the cockpit with an alien queen(?) in its chest.

It was the same with the SW prequels, I always wondered what took place that resulted in Vader donning the suit and while the explanation wasn't as good as I'd hoped, it did serve a purpose, it gave the character a little more depth, made his story that little bit more tragic.

The great thing about Vader in the original trilogy is that he has depth without slapping you in the face with a ridiculous and pretentious back story. Less is more.

i agree with what he's saying, but i feel he's wrong in his definition of prequel. a prequel SHOULD have to do with the movie(s) that came before. if anything, i think there should be another name for the types of "prequels" like prometheus (i believe the word is sidequel).

reminds me of the soldier and blade runner connection.

in tv, prometheus would be considered a spin-off of alien.

there is room for both sidequels and prequels. one is not better or worse than the other.

Zeliard

Talladega Knight said:
i agree with what he's saying, but i feel he's wrong in his definition of prequel. a prequel SHOULD have to do with the movie(s) that came before. if anything, i think there should be another name for the types of "prequels" like prometheus (i believe the word is sidequel).

reminds me of the soldier and blade runner connection.

in tv, prometheus would be considered a spin-off of alien.

there is room for both sidequels and prequels. one is not better or worse than the other.

I think what he's just trying to say if that if it's a prequel where the story arc is essentially already known, then it loses power. The Star Wars prequels had many other issues but they were always going to be fighting against the fact that we know exactly what happens to Anakin and what he eventually becomes. There was no real possibility for mystery or intrigue.

Lindelof just seems like he's trying to avoid that. What he's saying also doesn't remove the possibility that the film ends up with the SJ/Xenomorphs link. What it seems to mostly imply is that the Xenomorphs themselves aren't going to make much of an appearance and that they'll ignore most of the Alien tropes.

Retro

Prometheus will reveal that the parasitic, civilization-destroying Xenomorphs are just the lesser offshoot of a bigger, badder species. As it turns out, the Space Jockey was essentially a school bus driver driving those pesky Xenomorphs to Day Care compared to what the real aliens are all about...

No, I have no idea what it will be about, and I am totally talking out of my ass. But I need to watch Aliens now.

alphaNoid

Banned
Speedymanic said:
Wait, so it's possible it might not end with the SJ in the ship?

Aww, man. :(
Thats basically what he's saying, his idea of a prequel means it takes place in the same universe at an earlier time but does not tied the story into the original film at all. I think its a brilliant idea and will ensure we have no clue what to expect!

edit. Does anyone know if the Prometheus script has any similarities to the leaked prequel script from last summer? I read that entire thing, and some parts were cheesy but some parts made perfect sense and align almost perfectly with what Ridley Scott is saying he wants to do with the prequel.

The parts about
the space jockey, a deep space salvage crew of misfits, tie in of xenomorphs

nyong

Banned
I have literally never been as excited for a movie in my entire life. Everything he's said so far is music to my ears.

Zeliard

I really would not at all rule the Space Jockeys out for the simple fact that we know virtually nothing about them. If you look at just the films and no outside material, it's just that one SJ sitting in the cockpit in one scene who looks like he fell victim to a chest burster.

Lindelof's worry seems to mainly be telling a story that everyone knows the arc to. But Space Jockeys are still very largely a mystery, and even if we do know there was ultimately interaction between them and the Xenomorphs, there's no telling how or why.

alphaNoid

Banned
Zeliard said:
I really would not at all rule the Space Jockeys out for the simple fact that we know virtually nothing about them. If you look at just the films and no outside material, it's just that one SJ sitting in the cockpit in one scene who looks like he fell victim to a chest burster.

Lindelof's worry seems to mainly be telling a story that everyone knows the arc to. But Space Jockeys are still very largely a mystery, and even if we do know there was ultimately interaction between them and the Xenomorphs, there's no telling how or why.
In that leaked/fake script from last year they explain in detail how the SJ's and xenomorphs cross paths and the importance of one to another.

**dont read if you're on media blackout, and be warned this was from a leaked or probably fake script**
The idea was that the xenomorphs originated as ant-like (in size) creatures that were dropped on planets in a controlled fashion to clean a planet of organic life before "Growers" (aka Space Jockeys) came in and harvested the land for their species. Xenomorphs broke free, hosted a cat (on a planet where SJ's had human slaves harvesting food) and because their DNA merges with the host, they got larger in size. Cat/xenomorphs then kill and host humans and their sizes continue to get bigger and bigger. So on and so forth. Basically xenomorphs were a controlled pet, a planet cleansing tool that got out.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Carbonox_Ratchet said:
Seriously cannot wait for this. I also love how it's a prequel without necessarily setting up the events for Alien. Inevitability can sometimes be done well or at least have good intentions, but isn't really a favorable route to take for me. A standalone prequel is something I wish other filmmakers would take in to consideration when wanting to expand on a franchise.

Some real juggernaut films coming out next year.

Yeah I think that's what they did with Batman. The prequels pretty much stand on their own.

Zeliard

alphaNoid said:
In that leaked/fake script from last year they explain in detail how the SJ's and xenomorphs cross paths and the importance of one to another.

**dont read if you're on media blackout, and be warned this was from a leaked or probably fake script**
The idea was that the xenomorphs originated as ant-like (in size) creatures that were dropped on planets in a controlled fashion to clean a planet of organic life before Space Jockeys came in and harvested the land for their species. Xenomorphs broke free, hosted a cat (on a planet where SJ's had human slaves harvesting food) and because their DNA merges with the host, they got larger in size. Cat/xenomorphs then kill and host humans and their sizes continue to get bigger and bigger. So on and so forth. Basically xenomorphs were a controlled pet, a planet cleansing tool that got out.

Wasn't this essentially Ridley Scott's original idea for them?

I don't think it's that spoilery. It was mentioned earlier in the thread. He was saying that the Space Jockeys created Xenomorphs as instruments of war. But that was never anything canon, I don't think, and they could still easily take it in a new direction. I've personally never found that possible plot point all that compelling - it makes both parties less interesting.

alphaNoid

Banned
Zeliard said:
Wasn't this essentially Ridley Scott's original idea for them?

I don't think it's that spoilery. It was mentioned earlier in the thread. He was saying that the Space Jockeys created Xenomorphs as instruments of war. But that was never anything canon, I don't think, and they could still easily take it in a new direction. I've personally never found that possible plot point all that compelling - it makes both parties less interesting.
I agree, in some regards. I do think the idea of playing into xenomorphs as instruments gone wrong is workable ... IF done right and paced correctly. I have a feeling that the xenomorph we'll end up with in Prometheus is going to be non human based .. if all these rumors about SJ's are true then wouldnt it be a good guess to think that 'hatched' xenomorph in this film will be massive in size because of probable SJ hosts?

That could make for some terrorizing, nightmarish footage. I think Ridley is up to it, if anyone but its uncharted waters since he hasn't touched sci fi in so long. I remain hopeful!

Zeliard

alphaNoid said:
I agree, in some regards. I do think the idea of playing into xenomorphs as instruments gone wrong is workable ... IF done right and paced correctly. I have a feeling that the xenomorph we'll end up with in Prometheus is going to be non human based .. if all these rumors about SJ's are true then wouldnt it be a good guess to think that 'hatched' xenomorph in this film will be massive in size because of probable SJ hosts?

That could make for some terrorizing, nightmarish footage. I think Ridley is up to it, if anyone but its uncharted waters since he hasn't touched sci fi in so long. I remain hopeful!

Yep, thought about that too, haha. If they actually show us the Xenomorph(s) that took over that one Space Jockey, or more, then they should ideally be quite humongous in size since they take on aspects of the host.

Visually that would certainly look magnificent. I'm just hoping for something a little deeper than "instruments of war," though they could make it feasible if they do go in that direction.

Having said that, if what Lindelof is saying is true then I don't see them heading in a direction with Prometheus that features significant SJ/Xeno interactions. I think if we do see some overt link between the two franchises it won't be till the very end of the movie.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
alphaNoid said:

Supposedly there are some (spoiler about size)
human-sized xenomorphs based on photos from the sets/alien costumes (3 guys in xeno-suits eating lunch)
in the movie.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Green Scar said:
I feel like Damon just explained why Knights of the Old Republic is so much more interesting than the Lucas prequels. Heh.
Damon Lindelof explaining things?! never

*bitter lost fan

No footage ended up being shown at CineEurope... They did have a Q&A:
Ridley Scott, Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace Tease 'Prometheus' at CineEurope
Scott acknowledged that Prometheus, while not a direct prequel to Alien, occupies the same general universe, saying the picture was inspired by a desire to explore the mystery of the "space jockey" the giant fossilized creature with the burst-open chest seen in the first Alien movie but never explained.
Scott also confirmed that the film's title is the name of a space ship sent from earth by an all-powerful corporation of the kind familiar to fans of the Alien franchise. The mythical reference - in Greek mythology, Prometheus stole fire from the gods to give to man -- is deliberate.
Fassbender and Rapace were even cagier about revealing details of the Prometheus plot. Fassbender did hint his character, David, might be a version of the infamous corporate-designed android that plays a pivotal role in all Alien films.
Twitter said:
Fassbender: "I play a 'butler'"

ezekial45

Banned
Fassbender as an android sounds awesome.

I'm very interested in seeing how this movie plays out. I'm intrigued by the fact that the xenomorphs are going to be downplayed a bit in favor of the space jockeys. But after reading Lindelof's rational, it sounds about right.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Weyland Yutani and Space Jockeys, two of the more interesting things in Alien lore. Bring it on.

please let this be good please let this be good please let this be good please let this be good please let this be good please let this be good please let this be good please let this be good please let this be good please let this be good please let this be good please let this be good

TheOddOne

Nappuccino said:
please let this be good please let this be good please let this be good please let this be good please let this be good please let this be good please let this be good please let this be good please let this be good please let this be good please let this be good please let this be good
Ridley still has the chops, he will deliver.

Jin34

Well I have to say what Scott said points to this having way more answers than I thought, in my mind the connections were going to be more indirect and stuff only the fans would recognize while not being given importance in the film itself. But it looks like after 3 decades this shit will finally be explained.

TheOddOne

Blader5489 said:
Well, his last three films aren't much of a track record...
American Gangster was fantastic, Body of Lies was good and Robin Hood was the only iffy one. Robin Hood felt the only one that was out of his confort zone.

Blader5489 said:

Ridley has be very spotty lately. Hopefully he's got some real excitement for this film and is making a passion project of it.

Zeliard

Looks like they may have found a creative way to sort of reboot the Alien franchise without actually rebooting it, and bring it back in a fresh package. God knows those Alien vs. Predator and Alien 4 films sort of tarnished things, and a lot of people didn't like Fincher's effort either.

Space Jockeys will be so awesome. Are they getting H.R. Geiger back for this?

Blader5489 said:

Ridley's back in the sci-fi world so I think that may give him the spark he needs. I'm excited to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom