• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus (Alien 'prequel' movie) starts shooting March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just going by those costumes it looks like everyone but Elba is a business person or scientist. And if that's the case their clothing makes sense. They should be more high-end and clinical than the space truckers of the original film.

Love what I'm seeing, definitely in the spirit of Alien. Good to see Giger designs realized on a large scale again.

At least I am not the only person in this thread that thinks like this^

Ragnarok

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not digging the cast. They look way too perfect and model-y. I kind of liked how the cast of alien and aliens all looked like real people. Not disgusting to look at, but not just a collection of beautiful people either. Made things seem more realistic and gritty. Just going off of these shots, i'd say that this movie is going to be an abortion. Things could potentially change though so here's hoping.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I don't know about you guys, but I'm not digging the cast. They look way too perfect and model-y. I kind of liked how the cast of alien and aliens all looked like real people. Not disgusting to look at, but not just a collection of beautiful people either. Made things seem more realistic and gritty. Just going off of these shots, i'd say that this movie is going to be an abortion. Things could potentially change though so here's hoping.
I don't even

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Don't like look of the actors = abortion

Got it

effzee

There it is folks. Based on the cast, which besides looking good can actually act really well, and these first shots of the movie its going to be an abortion.

Ragnarok

Well to be fair my opinion is not entirely based on the cast and promotional shots (although as said, they're terrible). Ridley Scott hasn't made a good movie in over 10 years. And the Alien franchise hasn't been worthwhile in 25! But yeah, let's keep the circle jerk going.

tino

Banned
Sign, the guy should have directed Forever War. He is too old to pull out one more good movie out of him after this.

Well to be fair my opinion is not entirely based on the cast and promotional shots (although as said, they're terrible). Ridley Scott hasn't made a good movie in over 10 years. And the Alien franchise hasn't been worthwhile in 25! But yeah, let's keep the circle jerk going.

Kingdom Of Heaven says hello.

Man

Can't wait to see that trailer.

People's heads seem clearly photoshopped onto the bodies there (probably cause they are using bubbleheads etc in the actual film).

Like someone else said, the space mission in this film is one of a kind for mankind and super expensive etc (
apparently there's a big scene in the beginning of the film where it's declared to a huge gathering of people that whatever will be explored
), no wonder the crew has fine quality gear compared to the space truckers of Alien.

These are all clearly photos from the set not stills from the movie, and I still think they look great. Don't know how anyone can say that shot showing off the Ampule Room is terrible. It's mostly a Giger design and it's got that wonderful grim that the original film had.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut was fairly good, but a movie can only be so good with a terrible lead actor.

I just had a sudden fear strike me: what if it turns out the origin of the Alien is...human.

Even bigger fear is that they're going to try and explain the origins of the xenomorph at all, and all signs point to them doing that. Stupid filmmakers just don't understand why scary things are scary.

Maddness

I liked the plot I had read about a couple months back, but I think it turned out to be fake? I dunno, with the way things are turning out in these shots, it's looking like it might actually be "it's fake.....SYKE" every day. Which is a good thing.

I'm sooooooo looking forward to this.

Shooting with as much light as possible makes absolute sense. Anybody that has even done an amateur ounce of film taking of any kind will know that staging a scene in darkness is absolute madness even with the best equipment.

That's why I am not worried about these set photos at all. Hell, have we not gone over this with TDK? They shot entire scenes during the day and then made it look like it was night during post-production. There's a reason for that.

It's just like you can downsample an image, but enlarging it will degrade the quality of it. What happens if there's a scene that just doesn't turn out the way the filmmaker wanted it because they shot it in too dark of an area, and a ton of detail is just completely lost? Good luck brightening that scene and making it look right without re-shooting it completely in better lit conditions.

"Day for night" is a fairly common thing in the film biz. I've done a wee bit of amateur filmmaking, and shooting outdoors at night or anywhere with little natural light usually results in utter rubbish with the equipment we have.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I just had a sudden fear strike me: what if it turns out the origin of the Alien is...human.

As long as the movie is good and they don't shit on the lore introduced in Cameron's sequel (Queen) it doesn't matter to me what they do with the story. To me the alien creature is just a template, a frame, not the painting itself. Geiger's world. You can make a million different stories about it.

Fake-as-shit-but-kind-of-cool-poster:

prometheus-movie-poster.jpg

As long as the movie is good and they don't shit on the lore introduced in Cameron's sequel (Queen) it doesn't matter to me what they do with the story. To me the alien creature is just a template, a frame, not the painting itself. Geiger's world. You can make a million different stories about it.

I don't really care if it shits on Cameron's lore... he made the alien much less frightening in my opinion. (this is due to his extended version where they continually charge at a turret instead of using their intellect to work around it.) The theatrical version of his lore changes is ok, i guess.

Next month we'll get new trailers for The Dark Knight Rises, The Hobbit, Prometheus, John Carter pretty much guaranteed. Also The Dictator, since Cohen said so.

And then I wouldn't be surprised if Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters was with Ghost Protocol/Tintin and Wrath of the Titans and maybe Dark Shadows were with Sherlock.

MIB3 is probably somewhere in there too and wouldn't mind Jack the Giant Killer or Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter looks.

Jarmel

Banned
Yea those scans like atrocious. Heads look photoshopped on.

Either way hyped for Scott to be returning to sci-fi. This movie should be good practice for Scott to get the feeling back so he can create a masterpiece in the BR sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom