• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ in 2016: Your Thoughts

Overall I'd rate it 'ok'.
I was really hoping for Gravity Rush HD, though. Figured it would be a good way to build interest in the sequel for those (like myself) who are curious, but aren't quite willing to take the plunge to buy it blindly.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm subscribed through 2019. I like it well enough. Get some free games to check out and an extra discount in the store. Worth the $30+ I've paid for those yearly subscription cards.

Could have been better but also could have been much worse.

Letting mine expire because I can't afford to run both PSN and XBL. Xbox wins in this case.

The only thing that I found interesting about Plus this year was how companies can put out small indie games that run terribly like Broforce or Tower of Deadly Monsters and not only do Sony not give a shit but they'll go out of their way to expose them to as many people to them as possible.

I think what has soured PS+ is Xbxo One backwards compatibility.

Both consoles have had some crap months, but when the lineup gets announced no one focuses on the PS3 games, unless its a big game, but because of backwards compatibility games like Forza Horizon, Blood Dragon, Burnout - Paradise City (which some have been on plus before) there is a more perceived quality to the line up, for your Xbox One you are getting a bigger chance to get a game or two you don't have, and may want to replay.

This is not a post to start a console war. But I have gotten more out of Gold thanks to backwards compatibility offerings than +.

Also Gold has had more bigger games than +, which tends to focus on newer indie games so some may think its a swindle getting a £10 indie game when the xbox gets a game which was £40 new (but now worth only £10)

taybul

Looking at the list I don't remember spending more than a couple hours on any given title. Last year's selection was much better.

Linkark07

Banned
I think what has soured PS+ is Xbxo One backwards compatibility.

Both consoles have had some crap months, but when the lineup gets announced no one focuses on the PS3 games, unless its a big game, but because of backwards compatibility games like Forza Horizon, Blood Dragon, Burnout - Paradise City (which some have been on plus before) there is a more perceived quality to the line up, for your Xbox One you are getting a bigger chance to get a game or two you don't have, and may want to replay.

While it is extremely doubtful PS4 will get PS3 BC like the Xbone, Sony could offer PS1 or PS2 games through PS+. But again, we have the issue that Sony refuses to bring PS1 compatibility to PS4 and PS2 support is locked to a few games.

Anyways, I wont regret letting my sub go out. PS+ games aren't to my liking and multiplayer is something I hardly use anyways.

Kill3r7

I have been thinking about this for a while and personally I would much rather prefer a single use 20%off monthly code instead of "free" games.

SigSig

Most of the PS+ titles were great and the subscription was (and is) still easily worth the money.
Lots of games on that list, which you can sink loads of time into and have a lot of fun with.
This of course doesn't apply if you either own a huge Playstation Library (like, seriously, how do people who already own a given months top titles and complain about that not understand) or only play AAA games and consider indie titles trash or whatever.
Seriously, each month I read a variation of "this month is trash, except for the great titles" or "haven't heard of these, won't play".

Alpende

Lol, I was going through the list to see which game I played and I only played Journey. I kind of liked it but didn't think it was the amazing experience people made it out to be.

Overall a very disappointing year.

Outside P4 Arena, none of these games interested me. Even then my PS3 is in storage so I still havent played it. I just want to play online maaaan

CGwizz

The worst year for ps plus by far, game that i dont even want to download cause its not worth the space.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i only signed up when they made it mandatory for online play with the ps4. most of the games were junk. off the top of my head the only games i enjoyed were rocket league, infamous first light, and resogun.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Almost all games released were super niche boring games that belong on new grounds. Ready for some real benefits or good games, I stopped my subscription and will only pay month to month for online.

timberger

Couple of shit months, but overall it's been pretty sweet. Yakuza 5 is easily one of the best games to ever appear on the service at the very least.

Honestly, don't feel like I missed out on much at all after letting my + sub expire last year. For those who love indies its pretty good I imagine, but of the few indies I'm actually interested in playing I generally pick 'em up on Steam and would rather play most of them on PC. Looking over that list if I was on + the past year I'd be pretty disappointed. But I'm glad that others seem to feel they're still getting value out of it.

Edit: I should probably add that more than half the reason I dropped + a year ago was because I vastly prefer to play online games on XBL. The fact that the quality of the monthly game rentals was already declining at that point was just the extra nudge I needed to drop the service. Zero regrets.

Albo

The problem is that indie games are specialized to specific tastes, but AAA games are broad appeal by design.

Let's take Invisible Inc and, oh, I don't know, Knack. I like Invisible Inc a lot, but that's because I like turn based strategy games. If I didn't, this month would be a kick in the balls to me. I paid money for a game that I already know I will not like. With Knack, everyone will be able to play it, because it is designed to appeal to a wide audience. Many
most
won't like it, but people will give it a chance. They may
will
tell themselves it wasn't great, but at least they'll feel like they got their $5 out of it.

That's a good point but at the same time if you look at that ps4 list there is a variety of different genres that are bound to appeal to someone taste. I hated turn based strategy games but I gave skulls of the Shogun and banner saga a try on PS plus and loved them, so people are just not willing to give them a shot.

I think it's a stigma towards indie games, mostly because of the lack of marketing for them so people just aren't aware of what they are and their quality. That's why like you said people will play knack (even though they'll probably hate it) because Sony promoted it. Look at no man sky, even though it didn't end up being so good, people bought it because of the heavy marketing push.Another thing with triple a games is that they've sold millions, so more PS plus subs are likely to have played them already compared to Indies.

While the free games are only an OK for me, the discounts were very important.

I bought some really cheap titles thanks to Plus so it was really good value for me, overall.

itshutton

I've had fun with some games, but only really on the Vita. PS4 had some ok games, but nothing good enough to start up.

Jakoo

Dead Star
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Furi
Galak-Z
Gone Home: Console Edition
Grim Fandango Remastered
Helldivers
Invisible Inc.
Journey
Stories: Path of Destinies
Tropico 5

This is the overall list that I feel as though I was interested in, with the ones in bold I feel like I got a lot of playtime/satisfaction with already.

Since I was new to the Playstation ecosystem a little late with the 4, I am pretty pleased with the lineup myself. If I had already bought half of these games though, I would certainly feel a bit slighted.

A.Romero

I seldom use my PS4 nowadays (PC Gaming is way cheaper because Steam uses regionalized pricing) but I do have a current PS+ subscription. Overall I feel value is way better for PS3 than for PS4.

I was very interested in Transformers Devastation (it would have been the first game I was really looking forward to play from the service and in PS4) but yesterday I realized that I forgot to add it to my library...

Kudo

Furi is GOTY material but other than that, not going to renew PS+ unless there's some good sale.

I REALLY enjoyed Galak-Z even though I completely suck at it. Other than that, the games I like the most on that list I already purchased before they were free on PS+.

The only games from the list that I touched.

PS4
Gone Home
Helldivers (but I bought this at release)
Journey (bought it on PS3 a few years ago)
Lords of the Fallen (played for about 15 minutes)
Transformers (only played for about 30 minutes, but I do plan on going back to it)

Vita
Patapon 3

PS3
Journey (as above bought it on the PS3 a few years ago)
Super Stardust HD (bought this on PS3...when it released in 2007)

KrebStar

I usually like to try out as many games as I can get my hands on, so just seeing things I don't already own added to PS+ makes me happy. Games aside, I've saved more than my money's worth through discounts and by them adding a game just before I was finally about to buy it.

It was also nice to be able to talk a few friends into trying out games they probably wouldn't have otherwise (Siren: Blood Curse, Yakuza 5) simply because they were available at no additional cost.

Wozman23

This year, I only benefited from the PS4 content, and didn't enjoy near as many of the games. Nothing on the PS3 or Vita list made me want to boot up those consoles, whereas at least a couple of times last year I tried some of the PS3 and Vita offerings. Still, it worth the money, especially considering the many other times I got discounts.

Enjoyed:
Furi (planned on buying at launch)
Galak-Z (panned on buying at some point)

Tried but didn't like:
Gone Home: Console Edition
Helldivers
Nom Nom Galaxy
Tricky Towers

Played before or elsewhere:
Badland: Game of the Year Edition
Journey
Resident Evil HD (I'm counting the original)

In backlog:
Stories: Path of Destinies (wanted to buy at some point)
The Deadly Tower of Monsters
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Grim Fandango Remastered
Invisible Inc.
Transformers: Devastation

With the Vita pretty much abandoned and the PS3 pretty long in the tooth, I'd rather see a wider variety of PS4 offerings next year. Or maybe more discounts on indie games at launch.

Despite the lack of games that interested me this year compared to previous years, the way I view it is that if those 88 games were for sale in a bundle for £39.99, would I buy it? I probably still would.

Not great at all for me, the only two games I finished on that list were Rapture and Journey, both games which I had already bought. Most of the games I just added to library and didn't try though, I cba wasting time on games I know I probably won't care for.

nny

I really liked The Deadly Tower of Monsters, Tricky Towers is also good fun - if not for PS+ I would most likely not even known of their existence. I've been playing a lot of the Vita releases - finished recently Letter Quest and started today Code: Realize. On the PS3 side I guess I played mostly PS+ releases from previous years - Deadly Premonition!

I have so many games from previous years that I still want to play, that I feel that paying for the service just to maintain that catalog is good value. In any case, I liked 2016, I enjoyed quite a few of the releases and still have a couple that I haven't gotten around to.

DjDonFrancisco

Neo Member
This was my first year of being a PS+ member and i was previously skeptical about how it works. Though I'm still not a fan of never truly owning the games, i can't deny that there were some pretty great drops and ive had tons of fun with what I've downloaded. No complaints here.

Furi
Galak-Z
Invisible Inc.
Journey
NBA 2K16
Rebel Galaxy
Transformers: Devastation
Tricky Towers

Those games were enough to justify my price of admission.

Furi was a revelation. Already owned some of the other games Transformers, Invisible Inc, etc...
Don't think I'll be subscribing past my current one though. Just not worth it for me anymore.

Harlock

To be fair, playd a lot of Galak-Z and Transformers, but I already had the games before they come to plus.

Bold One

You can talk up monetary value per game all day and night, but when it comes down to it, there are very few games we got on plus last year that I would want to sit down and play let alone go out and buy.

REDSLATE

Overall, most of the games I played in 2016 were from the previous year...
I love the PSN sales (some are really good and offer digital games at a reasonable price), but the multiplayer itself feels hollow compared to Xbox LIVE. Hardly anyone communicates and tactics/strategy takes a back-seat. I'm also shocked at how little security has improved despite multiple breaches over the years. I'm not renewing my Plus subscription.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I thought things were gonna start picking up after some of the Fall/late Summer lineups. But with these past two months... nah.

Also, some of those PS3 games seem old as balls (even by PS3 standards), and I'm surprised that they haven't been on the service already.

Final thoughts?

I wish I didn't play so much multiplayer. :(

rocket league made up for it. Best download game I have.

Rocket League was last year. Or is it so good in your eyes that it somehow redeems this year too?

Linkark07

Banned
Being honest, only game I played from PS+ was Journey, and I hardly used the PS+ discounts. Multiplayer wise, almost never used it on my PS4 too.

So yeah, gonna let my sub run out. Not because of the quality, because I don't find any value in PS+ anymore.

Tagyhag

Regarding the PS4, generally, I thought it was pretty good!

My big problem though, is that I want more full exclusives. If it's a multiplat game, chances are, I already have it on PC.

xrnzaaas

I'm only interested in PS4 games and it was worse than 2015. 4-5 good games and I just don't care about the rest at all or don't have the time to check them out.

The deals for PS+ subscribers seemed to have been better, but maybe that's just me getting good deals on the games I was interested in. :)

Going to let mines expire, its not alot of money but I dont play online and rarely purchase anymore, sometimes the plus deals are pretty good but thats it, I dont remember the last plus game I played.

Top Bottom