• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ in 2016: Your Thoughts

Thought GWG was a lot better (for me) this year, I played 3-4 games from there but didn't play any from PS+. I had previously bought Journey, Gat out of Hell, and Grim Fandango so there is that.

Its funny how I bought a PS3 and a vita (a while after I bought a PS4) because I had all these ps3/vita games "free" with PS+ but to this date I have not a run a single PS+ game on either one. Just way too much of a backlog on PS4 (and PC) to ever get around to ps3/vita.

I had been a subscriber for 4 years but they lost me this year. Too many meh months. I missed out on a couple of games that looked interesting in the second half, but I'm saving more money on games with Amazon Prime taking the element of choice into account. I think I'd sooner get a PS Now sub than PS+ at this rate.

Bobosaurus

Neo Member
To be honest, I think the early years of PS+ have spoiled me for the content we are getting now.

Within 2 years of launching on PS3 we were seeing big name titles from the consoles back catalogue included on a monthly basis. The PS4 library feels like it should be big enough to support this now but we still aren't seeing these sort of titles.

Playstation Plus has delivered some top quality indie/download only games for PS4 - but for every one of those, there are a dozen titles about which I either haven't seen much coverage, know very little about or haven't even heard of the game. I barely have enough spare time to play the games I want to play, so it's hard to get excited about these titles which fall so far off my radar.

But, as a few have said, I am it's hostage if only for online play and additional discount on games at sale time

Mark L

I quit this year. I just was not seeing value for my money. As a consequence, I have not wanted to buy multiplayer games on PS4, either.

Wow, looking at the full list, I did not play a single game that I didn't purchase prior to being free with PS+ :( whoops.

I buy too many games for how little game time I have. :'(

Also, I spent most of THAT time playing Rocket League so PS+ isn't going anywhere.

I don't mind indies or whatever. There are a ton of really dull major releases as much as there are dull indies.

I just wish that Sony would take advantage of the fact that indies are diverse in a way that major releases are not. Rocket League last year was a rare non-Nintendo release of an arcade sports game, and it was really good.

But it seems to me that on PS4, we get a lot of games within the same genre. We get lots of Metroidvanias, for example, and while some are exceptional (Guacamelee), there's stuff like Xeodrifter where I feel like, man, I would rather have had another game in another genre because Xeodrifter is fine, but I've played other games like this that were better reps for the genre.

To me, what stands out are games that are good and really different: Don't Starve, Rocket League, and Letter Quest are probably my favorite games that I've gotten from PS+ for PS4, and that's because they're good and they stand out from all the puzzle platformers and Metroidvanias and space shooters (though I do love me some Resogun).

Roufianos

So bad that they might as well not bother.

I'm honestly considering dropping my subscription which says a lot seeing as I voluntarily paid for it on PS3.

Just a clear sign that competition is good for the industry, not a chance that the line up would be this poor if MS were closer.

Unbelievable that we're still not seeing AAA games considering the huge backlog available. Knack? Killzone?

all these indies fell so samey and uninspired.

really disappointed though we've gotten some good ones like transformers and Resident Evil

rackham

Banned
They really need to drop PS3 or make it a separate subscription. I haven't downloaded anything for it in 2 years. I don't even touch it.

Vita selection has been near garbage. Helldivers is the only great game and I haven't played that in a long time. Too big of a curve at higher difficulties for gameplay that isn't so tight as it thinks it is.

At least there have been some OK sales that require PLUS. I still think it's nearly criminal that SONY is holding multiplayer hostage behind the subscription fee. It's bullshit.

I mainly use it for online and to keep the games I already have. Most new ones don't interest me, only ones I liked this year that I didn't already have were Transformers Devastation and NBA 2K16 (haven't bought a sports game since 2009)

S2580

Neo Member
Apart from Gone Home I didn't finish any game on the list that I didn't already own. It was a very bad year for me and seeing the actual lists really hammers it home. I've been a subscriber since the start but I will let my subscription stop for the time being, I hope they improve in the coming months,

Lokbob

I unsubbed like 5 months ago and I'm not getting PS+ again.

95% of the games don't interest me and I'm not paying 40€ a year to play online, buying multiplayer games on PC again basically.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Well given that I have not subbed the whole of 2016 I was less pleased with it compared to other years during the PS3 era. Personal standout PS+ title for me was Yakuza 5.

j_rocca42

I had fun with games on the list for PS4. I don't own a PS3 or a vita. But from the comments in this thread, people really just want old AAA games period. Some great indies on this list that people don't want to give a chance.

Grim Fandango, Gone Home and Yakuza 5 combined are the cost of a yearly sub. I absolutely loved them. The rest are hit or miss, but for me that means its a positive year.

Pachimari

It was very very very weak. Almost no if any retail Sony games. It was much better on PS3 and I'm starting to consider cancelling my Ps Plus membership for the first time since its introduction.

Only good game I got was Yakuza 5, and that was for PS3 too.

Journey PS4, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Siren, Resident Evil HD, and Yakuza 5 were the only pleasant surprises.

If it wasn't required for multiplayer I would have cancelled by now.

My subscription ended in October and I probably won't bother with PS+ again anytime soon. I have no interest in online multiplayer which certainly doesn't help, but most of the PS4 selections just didn't appeal to me and the Vita lineup was awful (five months of PSP games?!)

Putting up broken pieces of shit like Broforce without any QA was pretty dodgy too.

Jimm

I was unsubscribed for the vast majority of the year. The only PS+ game I tried out was Dead Star.

I think I just have enough to play with games I own/have already bought but haven't played that the PS+ novel wore off. I was playing games just because I had access to them when in reality I wasn't interested in them otherwise.

I won't resub again unless there's a MP game I absolutely must play.

Waste of money, none of the games interested me, still don't own a PS4 so didn't need it for that. Hell, I've barely turned on my PS3 this year and I bought two years last Fall so it'll probably go to waste as well in 2017. Should've saved the codes for some other time.

Kazooie

Banned
I have had PS Plus since the PS3 era and will continue to subscribe just for Pro Evo and Rocket League online.

Seeing that PS4 offering for a year. Wow. Disgraceful. I haven't played a single PS Plus game since Rocket League.

It's funny, people said "oh, it'll only be indies for a year or two until the PS4 has a big catalogue of AAA games". Well here we are entering year four but still no change in strategy.

I originally subscribed to Plus because of the Instant Game Collection. Games of the calibre of Ico, SotC, Infamous 2, Little Big Planet 2, Uncharted 3, Tomb Raider, Mafia 2, Bioshock Infinite, Sly Cooper. Those are the ones I remember but every single month had two or three AAA games. I bought a PS4 under the belief that eventually this calibre of games would continue. Seems like my faith in Sony was misplaced on that one.

In before the indie police attack me and say "actually me and three other people enjoyed 'Billy's big bong side scroller 16' just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's crap!".

The only good thing about PS+ is the extra money you save on sales, but that alone isn't really worth it to me. I don't care about the "free" games since you don't actually own them. I begrudgingly subscribe for the 2-3 multiplayer games I like to play, which is a racket. I mostly think of it as an annoying tax I have to pay because I prefer playing on consoles.

I think giving out games to help promote certain genre's is a good idea. I think trying to boost visual novels and Japanese roleplaying games is a worthy endeavor.

I haven't played a single Plus game this year even though I have a subscription paid off for the next several years.

SummitAve

Banned
The PS+ games have been mostly good though I don't have a PS3 or vita. Download speeds have been all over the place. The price increase has me questioning my subscription. I just don't know if it's worth it to me anymore.

JMY86

PS+ games have been abyssmal this year. I don't find myself interested in most indie games, so this years PS+ has been a complete waste of money for me personally...

DigSCCP

My favorite games : Yakuza 5 ( worth the year subscription alone ), Gone Home, Tropico 5, Siren
Surprises : Gone Home and Tropico
Games that desapointed me : PSP games on Vita's Plus Line Up
Was variety enough : Yes !
Wil renew : Just did it last month
What games from this year I will definetely play later : Furi, RE, Oreshika, Invisible, Actual Sunlight, Helldivers, NBA 2k, Lords of Fallen, Zombi

Not great. Some of the better games on that list I already had. I'll keep paying for it regardless though because multiplayer, if I get a decent game on top of that every now and then that's cool.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It was good not great.

As others have said it's time to ditch the PS3 and focus their efforts on the PS4.

It didn't help that PSN still sucks in 2016 for a variety of reasons just like every other year.

kuppy

I don't find myself playing a lot of the PS+ games and rather just buy the ones that I'm truly interested in.
PS+ isn't too expensive but a yearly cost that I do not want to continue having. If Overwatch were to go free to play I would drop it all together. Don't think that will happen too soon though so I might stick with for a year longer. It really depends on how things will look in June when I'll have to renew. Maybe the previous month had some really great games, maybe I can afford it easily.

If PS+ were just about the free games though I most certainly wouldn't renew. It makes me feel weird that I can lose access to all these games. I also don't like them piling up. Like I said I rather just pay for games that I truly want.

I do think that the best thing about PS+ for me this year has been the extra discounts in sales. I've acquired quite a few games for sub-nine dollars that, when the total savings from the non-Plus price are added up, probably saved me the forty bucks I paid for PS+ on its own.

Tack on a couple of games that I didn't have to pay for at all because of the IGC, and it definitely paid for itself. Now, at sixty dollars a year (so, fifty on sale), that might be a bit tougher value proposition.

xrnzaaas

Shite year was shite.

Oh and did they ever fix PS4 Broforce or did they abandon it?

A new update installed for me like 2 days ago. Haven't tried it yet. On the previous version the framedrops were still a pain in the ass, but it wasn't crashing and they fixed the start of the level bug (you know, the one where your character freezes for a moment).

doemaaan

My subscription ran out about 2-3 months ago, but after the rise in price, I did not subscribe again... Wasn't worth, but now I can't finish the games I'd gotten with it. Can't play Broken Age. Guess I'll have to wait for a game that'll make me want to play online again.

Borderlands 3. Maybe Destiny 2.

Rooster

I already owned most of the games I was interested in. Remake, Journey, Everybodys Gone to the Rapture, Grim Fandango, some others probably. So bit of a bust for me.

ffvorax

PS4
Broforce
Furi
Galak-Z
Grim Fandango Remastered

PS Vita
Actual Sunlight
Patapon 3 [PSP]

PS3

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Siren: Blood Curse (Episodes 1-12)
Yakuza 5

These are the games that I didn't own and that I played and loved.

Not so many on the total, but I consider them enough for the annual price and service...

So I'm ok, but could have been better.

Top Bottom