• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ in 2016: Your Thoughts

xerzewatt

This year I renewed my subscription for under 40$ (Previous 2 years were 30$). I usually look at a theoretical calculation to determine if this is worth it to me.

- I own all three systems but ps3 isn't hooked on so I rarely count them.
- If multiplayer was offered separately I would be OK with paying 20$/year. Previous years this was worth even less to me but I got hooked on Destiny + Overwatch.
- If Sony stops ICG completely and offers a yearly subscription to access the discounts, cloud saves and my existing PS+ games I would be OK with paying 10$/year.
- I ask myself this: At the time of the game's offering, do I accept renting it for a year for 1$? It doesn't matter if I like the game or not. I love Invisible Inc. and Journey but I already own them so I wouldn't pay for them. On the other hand, helldivers and broforce seemed interesting but I never went back to them after playing them once.

Broforce, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Furi, Helldivers, Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell, Tricky Towers, Ultratron, Actual Sunlight, Amnesia: Memories, Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~, Flame Over, Nihilumbra

12 games and I haven't checked this months games yet. Not bad for 10$ but I didn't actually like most of these so it is not looking great for the future. Maybe one day I'll finish my backlog and hook my ps3 to play Yakuza 5 and P4 AU but I highly doubt that.

Mooreberg

I'm no longer a subscriber. The service sucks all kinds of ass now. Totally not worth it. People accepting Sony charging for online play slowly but surely killed the best subscription service I've ever subscribed to. I don't even blame Sony. I blame all the people that didn't fucking riot at E3 2013 when Sony announced the paywall for multiplayer. Looking at that 2016 list is fucking embarrassing wnen you think about the lineup we used to have.
It is a snowball effect. As soon as MS announced $499.99, it was clear that Sony was going to capture more of the shooter audience (and they have). Once you have people paying to play COD and Battlefield online, you do not need to spend as much money on games to give customers each month.

Only a more rapid decline in the player bases of MP games will get them to improve the monthly offering. At this rate, I might just finish Yakuza 5 over the course of the next month and let my subscription lapse. I already own RE from a Capcom humble bundle.

ironmang

I don't think I've played any of them. There were a bunch I already bought though.

I'm 1000% happy with the lack of Knack though.

Serves everyone right for saying "I'll wait for Knack to be free on Plus" before it came out.

Those people are the real winners since they didn't have to suffer through that piece of shit.

Mostly games I already had or didn't care for. I did get Lords of the Fallen (still haven't played) and Helldivers (only played about 10 hours but really enjoyed it) which I was intrigued by but not enough to buy them

Looking forward to getting Invisible Inc next month also

Tjamato88

Big fan of PS+

I pretty much never play the games but it's nice to have them all. I play more of the Vita games I get for free.

Fbh

It was Okish.

Can't say that I cared for the vast majority of them. But there were some gems like Furi.

If almost all of my friends weren't on ps4 (which is what makes it my main platform for online gaming) I definitely wouldn't pay for it though. Not even for half the price.

redcrayon

I only play the Vita games, and the ones I spent more than ten minutes with before deleting were:

Actual Sunlight
Amnesia: Memories
Badland: Game of the Year Edition
Flame Over
God of War: Chains of Olympus
God of War: Ghost of Sparta
Helldivers
Nova 111
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines
Patapon 3

Felt like a pretty reasonable variety to me. Action games, visual novels, strategy, turn-based, an rpg, a top-down shooter.

PS4
Dead Star
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Furi
Galak-Z
Gone Home: Console Edition
Invisible Inc.
Lords of the Fallen
Resident Evil HD
Table Top Racing: World Tour

Dead Star : wow this was pointless, in a year where millions of multiplayer arena games exist this one might be both the slowest and less strategic out there.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture : Haven't got time to play it yet

Furi : Did a few bosses but didn't finish, not really my kind of games and I don't really enjoy the soundtrack, still on my HDD though.

Galak-Z : I know I downloaded it but I don't even remember what the game is about...

Gone Home: Console Edition : Haven't got time to play it yet

Invisible Inc. : Planning on downloading it next month, confident that I will enjoy it.

Lords of the Fallen : Played 4-5h, as bad as expected.

Resident Evil HD : Only game I loved and was looking forward to play, thanks Sony !

Table Top Racing: World Tour : ¿¿¿ what was the point of spending time and money to make this game ???

Probably the worst year for me.

Letter Quest: Remastered is my favorite game of the year on PS+ by miles, and I might play 2K if we get this arena deal done in Seattle, but otherwise, I didn't enjoy many of the games here. Actually, I didn't enjoy any of the games. I got bored with Transformers. I like Tropico 5...on PC.

It was a bad year for me personally for these games, but since I want to play online with friends every once in awhile, it's worth it to keep PS+ and see what comes up for next year.

I only play on PS4 and Vita, for what that's worth.

ironmang

You know your misplaced excessive hate of Knack is causing the cult of Knack stuff right?

Huh? Knack is brought up because most thought it was likely to be the first retail game offered.

I don't think my hate is excessive either. It's the worst retail game I've ever played that works as they intended.

GazzaGSi

I haven't played 1 PS+ game this year so guess there wasn't anything that really struck me as a must play. Didn't stop me 'purchasing' them though just incase if I do decide to try any out.

I bought RE:HD on release and the only one I've downloaded is Saints Row.

Played a lot of (most of them to completion):

Broforce
Furi
Galak-Z
Grim Fandango Remastered
Helldivers
Resident Evil HD
Transformers: Devastation

Will definitely be diving into Invisible Inc. as well. The rest I already owned or had no in interest in. All in all I really can't complain though, the value has been there for me.

Symbiotx

As someone who even enjoyed a lot of the indies we got early on... I stopped downloading most of the games this year. Pretty weak offerings for the most part.

Fairly average. Some really good titles there I got some good playtime out of (TF Devastation, REmake HD, Helldivers) and the cross-buy titles have proven really handy for work and travel... but the PS3 titles have been all but useless to me tbh. Barely touched any of them, and the less said about fobbing PSP titles off on us, the better. That's some straight schedule filler bullshit.

There's been some pretty good plus discounts this year as well I guess. PS4 being my primary multiplayer machine means I'm locked into the sub either way, but I've gotten a lot out of the plus games on the whole, so it could be worse.

Wagram

Incredibly inconsistent with a large focus on indies. I'm cool with them, but the focus on them is too large. December looks pretty bad in comparison to GWG.

For the $30 I paid for it the games suited my needs this year, which were mostly distractions. Could've been better but it also could've been a lot worse. Will be interesting to see 2017.

Played Helldivers the most.

Definitely got my moneys worth but this was the worst year of PS+ yet. I remember last year still had a bunch of stand-outs but for me it was only really Siren: Blood Curse.

The best game on that list is Journey. However, like many people (i'm sure) I bought Journey when it was released five years ago or so.

Resident Evil is nice to have, and I've been thinking about Invisible Inc so quite happy to see that.

Otherwise, it's been a pretty rough year full of mediocre titles. It wouldn't bother me so much If I wasn't a Plus subscriber on PS3, where the line up was incredible from its second year onwards.

Not sure why early PS4 titles such as Killzone, Black Flag, Infamous SS or Knack (lol) etc haven't turned up yet.

bender

What time is it?
I mostly concern myself with PS4 releases and 14 of the titles offered I owned on the PS4 or on another platform (IOS, PC, WIi U) which were also the better offerings available. Rebel Galaxy is the only standout for me though I've heard good things about Invisible Inc.

Shifty1897

Didn't finish a single game of those. Played RE HD but have no intention of finishing it. The only game that I might go back to is transformers.

The worst year for plus since I got it.

Transformers was great, I haven't finished anything else. I dropped PS+ once they raised the price.

Euron

Definitely a step down from last year however it's very hard to compete when Rocket League was given out for free at launch last year.

Negaduck

I got a ps4 this year so ps+ was great. Games like journey and RE make and a few others were awesome.

Two games that really surprised me with how much I enjoyed them were Deadstar(rip) and Tricky Towers

bebop242

Overall its been ok. I feel like its been worth it for the few good offerings.

However to be honest, after building my first computer and doing humble bundle monthly and other HB bundles, the glorified rentals of the PS Plus program is losing it's luster for me.

Furi's not bad, but Grim Fandango and the October games are the only really good PS4 games on that list.

I guess Journey might be enjoyable if it's free

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
If they didn't force it with online I would drop the service in a heartbeat. Furi is the only game this year that came out that I had a decent time with that I wouldn't have tried otherwise.

KiraXD

PS+ was decent this year... better than GWG... i constantly felt like i was wasting money on my games-with-gold sub. a lot of those games were on PS+ years ago. PS+ on the other hand, had some real gems.

And since i actively play PS4,PS3 and Vita... i ALWAYS had some good stuff.

Tried and instantly deleted 95% of that list and recently cancelled my PS+ having been with the service from the start. Nothing wrong with Indies, in fact my favorite PS+ games on PS4 have been the Indies (Resogun, Rocket League, Don't Starve, Rogue Legacy, Pixel Junk Shooter) but the quality of those has dipped dramatically for me.

Games with Gold is a much better deal so all of my online gaming is now done on the Xbox One. A costly move having to re-buy all my multiplayer games again, thankfully the stores black friday sale helped cushion the blow.

Top Bottom