• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ in 2016: Your Thoughts

Javin98

Banned
REmake was an amazing game, Journey was great, Gone Home was really good, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was decent, but felt like it overstayed its welcome after three hours. Helldivers and Furi had good mechanics, but I found them really tedious and probably just not my cup of tea. It's my first full year with PS+ and while there are hits and misses, overall it's a solid offering. My sub is running out next week and I'll wait until either February or April next year to resub because the holiday lineup is stacked.

ISee

PS+ was so good this year that I let it run out in september after having a subscription for 4 years.

Every game I wanted I already owned (Transformers, God of Wars, Journey).

A little upset I didn't notice my PS+ auto renew, which was for a whole year, so let's hope next year is better.

watdaeff4

So I made this thread last year and figured I'd make it again...I get the feeling that opinion won't be as high last year, but let's see.

- What were your favourite games?
- What games surprised you with how good they were?
- What games disappointed you?
- Did you feel there was enough variety?
- Are the offerings still worth the cost of subscription?
- WHERE THE HELL IS KNACK!? AGAIN!?

A total of 88 games were available (32 for PS4, 26 for PSVita, and 30 for PS3)
I already owned a few games. Out of what I didn't already own I only tried a few but didn't play for long. Due to this I didn't get much value from the free games. I do still want to try Tropico however. I also need to try Zombi again

However due to playing online and PS+ sales, I'm satisfied.

Also if I didn't already own them, I would have been happy with REmake, NBA2k, Journey and Transformers.

PS+ has been amazing for me the last few years including 2016. I own a PS3, Vita and PS4 so getting the maximum value. I've paid for another year so hope 2017 is gangbusters. I would feel a bit better if I didn't already own a lot of the games on PC.

AudioEppa

To be 100% honest, I played non of them.

And I already own journey from a few years back.

This service was all discounts and multiplayer in 2016.

madmackem

Absolute shit. No reason to subscribe to this service whatsoever. Even the discounts are horrendous.
Horsepoo, the extra off in the sales is well worth it, loads of varied games for £35 for a year man. I wonder if it's new gamers who act almost entitled I've been paying for live since launch on og Xbox and was paying what I pay now for live and plus and got sweet fuck all back but access to online, the current live and plus offerings are like Christmas every month compared to what we got then.

13ruce

Banned
Very bad i only like the metroidvania indie games, so most indie games are just not for me i do have no hate against indie's tho.

A single A, AA or AAA game each month on ps4 would be dope. Maybe even give ps2 classics away instead if they can't that would also be nice.

Menaged

After 3-4 years I let it expire. My subscription ran out around the time of the price hike, and I didn't find it worthwhile.

Horsepoo, the extra off in the sales is well worth it, loads of varied games for £35 for a year man. I wonder if it's new gamers who act almost entitled I've been paying for live since launch on og Xbox and was paying what I pay now for live and plus and got sweet fuck all back but access to online, the current live and plus offerings are like Christmas every month compared to what we got then.

Been a member since day one actually. It's not entitlement to have been receiving a better product previously compared to what it is now –– especially as the service has grown and their revenue streams have increased.

Anndrej

Neo Member
Loved Gone Home.

Grim Fandango Remastered took me back 20 years, chuckled all the way.

Helldivers was a blast with friends.

Invisible Inc., and anything Klei does, is pure quality.

I had never played Journey prior to Plus, it floored me.

Nova 111 was a wonderful surprise.

Resident Evil HD is in the backlog, waiting patiently.

Heard great things about Stories: Path of Destinies, excited to play it next week.

It's rough, but Table Top Racing: World Tour charmed me.

I'm crazy about Tropico 5.

All this for $50? I'm never unsubbing. I love Plus, loved it this year as well. For me personally, it's excellent value and a no-brainer, really.

Gaspard

REmake and Transformers were such teases the month after the price of PS+ rose. Then it became a snoozefest to me again.

Albo

I'm surprised people are shitting on so many great games, and most probably just write them off and judge immediately without playing because of the "indie" label. I can understand why the perceived quality isn't as much as previous years but also why they don't include AAA games because they still sell, and with plus subs still increasing significantly this year. Some more AAA would be nice but I'd rather have interesting surprise indie gems than the likes of knack, killzone and lords of fallen anyway.

Most of the best stuff I'd bought already. That said it hasn't been a very exciting year. In past years I found myself going "yes!" at announcements. This year it feels like they've resigned themselves a bit to being a less exciting service.

This coming from someone who has often thought PS+ criticisms can be exaggerated.

It just feels like they could offer us a few exceptional months from time to time, just to keep us guessing. When I saw December a very familiar feeling glazed over me.

I wouldn't say it's a case of taking issue with indies either, which I love, it's a matter than I'm not seeing many I'd been wanting to see.

I feel like there's a bunch of stuff I thought "That will turn up on Plus" and a few years ago I'd be right. Now it feels like I have to adjust my expectations.

It had almost nothing for me and didn't make me buy PS+ this year. I don't like half of them and had some of them before Plus. The best one was Journey which I played it 4 years ago.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I used to love PS+. This year was absolutely disgusting. I'm going to run the math on how much I saved in discounts on games and that will be the sole factor in determining whether I renew.

Oh and did they ever fix PS4 Broforce or did they abandon it?

The last patch was a pretty long time ago. The framerate still dips into single digits.
EDIT: Lol, a patch was just released a few hours ago. Probably still shit. I checked and it had been eight months since the last patch.

Fitts

Finally played Journey for the first time and was blown away so that's something. I can't believe I avoided being spoiled on anything apart from its general aesthetic after all this time. What an amazing experience.

But yeah, Plus is some BS overall. Its primary function is to lock multiplayer behind a paywall and it has become another reason why I'm probably done with console gaming after this gen. I'll be letting my sub lapse.

Drayco21

A few months here and there have been good, but on the whole, it's been pretty bad.

At least I got to replay Grim Fandango out of it.

i see 11 games on that list i'd buy. i already owned 5 of them when they were offered. overall, i'd say they offered some really good games. you need a bit of luck with these systems.

Klart

I love Plus.

88 games for 40 Euro (you can easily get a sub for 40)?

That's less than 2 Euro per game. Talking about value for money. I don't know how they do it.

I've bought single games for 60 Euro that I barely touched...

Son Of D

Game wise it's been alright, but the real benefit is the sales. Saved over £40 buying games on PS+ sales so I've got money's worth there at least.

While I believe there was one exception for a game I wanted that launched for free, I've never played any of these titles and I've had PlayStation Plus since it launched.

For me, price doesn't determine whether I play something. A game getting cheaper doesn't make it better.

If you start playing games simply because the price dropped, then it wasn't good enough for you in the first place.

Schlomo

I only played Furi and Grim Fandango.

Damn... I'd have thought it was a bit more. Some are still in my baglog though.

Tuffty

Furi & REmake are the only PS4 games I hadn't played and really enjoyed. Invisible Inc, Transformers Devastation and Yakuza 5 are fantastic games but I already bought. Everything else was just ok, Broforce had some glaring tech issues on release and Zombi is hands down the worst game I've played on PS4 considering I encountered a game breaking glitch more than halfway through the game.

Still think PS Plus is a great service for what it's worth.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Tried most of these, finished none. Absolutely disgusting.

daegan

At first I felt disappointed but then I looked at the list and realized there were a lot of great games, just ones that I already had bought so I didn't notice them.

Yakuza 5 alone makes this an incredible year. That game is absurdly huge - I've been playing it since launch and finally should wrap it up this weekend and I am only like 15% complete.

I'm surprised people are shitting on so many great games, and most probably just write them off and judge immediately without playing because of the "indie" label. I can understand why the perceived quality isn't as much as previous years but also why they don't include AAA games because they still sell, and with plus subs still increasing significantly this year. Some more AAA would be nice but I'd rather have interesting surprise indie gems than the likes of knack, killzone and lords of fallen anyway.

The problem is that indie games are specialized to specific tastes, but AAA games are broad appeal by design.

Let's take Invisible Inc and, oh, I don't know, Knack. I like Invisible Inc a lot, but that's because I like turn based strategy games. If I didn't, this month would be a kick in the balls to me. I paid money for a game that I already know I will not like. With Knack, everyone will be able to play it, because it is designed to appeal to a wide audience. Many
most
won't like it, but people will give it a chance. They may
will
tell themselves it wasn't great, but at least they'll feel like they got their $5 out of it.

zarnold56

I still enjoy my PS+. The games are fine, and I have to use it for multiplayer. I have also got extra discounts on game sales with PS+ so the yearly cost feels justified to me.

Overall it was the most disappointing year for the PS4 for my tastes.

This year, for me... Zombi (which I forgot to download), NBA 2K16, Gone Home, Furi, Journey (which I already had via cross-buy), Transformers: Devastation, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

That's pretty much it. Last year was way better. I don't expect home run AAA releases every single month, but I do expect the selection to get better as they keep selling PS4's like gangbusters and raising the price of PSN.

Atolm

This year most titles have been so forgettable that I forgot to "buy" most of them. The only interesting ones like REmake or Transformers I had bought them already.

Man, a lot of y'all got some shitty taste. Putting half the effort into playing some of these games as much as people do whining about them may actually result in, you know, enjoying more of the medium you're posting about.

I understand criticizing the product you're buying, but the apathy afforded towards a lot of really good games because of what they look like or their budget is crazy. Games like Rocket League or Velocity 2x were relatively unknown before their exposure and PS+ introduced them to a lot of people. Obviously more home runs would always be great, but narrowing preferences down to AAA games instead of just games in general only makes that harder.

The problem is that indie games are specialized to specific tastes, but AAA games are broad appeal by design.

This is absolutely, 100% horseshit, that creates a false generalization to prove a point that doesn't exist.

October was definitely the best month of PS+ this year with Transformers Devastation and Resident Evil.

Furi was my surprise gem of the bunch.

This year has been pretty average in terms of PS+ games with no real big long-lasting hits like last year's Rocket League. That being said really looking forward to Invisible Inc. for December.

I've been a subscriber since PS+ launched on PS3, but I'm considering unsubbing.

The offerings across PS4 and Vita have been pretty terrible with the exception of a few games (Patapon 3 and Transformers).

It's been terrible value for money for me considering I don't play online.

neoemonk

My sub is up in a few weeks, and I don't plan on renewing. I'm a very occasional multiplayer guy, so if I really have a strong itch I'll just get it on PC. The last game I played from PS+ was Rocket League and I ended up just buying it on Steam anyway, so the games don't hold much interest for me either.

megalowho

Pleasant surprises: Furi, Rebel Galaxy

Haven't played much but nice to have in the collection: Resident Evil HD, Lemmings HD, Helldivers, Nom Nom Galaxy, Tropico 5, Ultratron

Already played/bought but nice to have in the collection: Journey, Galak-Z, Gone Home, Grim Fandango, NBA 2K16, Invisible Inc, VVVVVV

It's not the service that helped convince me to buy a PS3 late in its cycle but it's alright as a supplemental thing. The Vita list is disappointing, I remember 2015 being a lot stronger on that front. To be expected, I suppose.

I find a lot of the indies that get released are games I've already played so I lose out on some of the value. If anything it's training me to wait on indies since there's a good chance it'll show up on PS+ before long. I couldn't bring myself to renew at full price, not with the hike. If I didn't find a discount offering I likely wouldn't have re upped.

A_Dang

Sorry for the wall of text!

Quick summary:
The games below are ones I actually put some time in (1 hour or more) or are in my backlog as games I actually do want to get to:

PS4:
Broforce
The Deadly Tower of Monsters
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Gone Home: Console Edition
Grim Fandango Remastered
Invisible Inc.
Journey
NBA 2K16
Nom Nom Galaxy
Rebel Galaxy
Resident Evil HD
Stories: Path of Destinies
Transformers: Devastation
Tricky Towers
Tropico 5
Zombi

PS Vita
Actual Sunlight
God of War: Chains of Olympus [PSP]
God of War: Ghost of Sparta [PSP]
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines
Patapon 3 [PSP]
Shutshimi
VVVVVV

PS3
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
Costume Quest 2
Datura
DiRT 3
Dragon Age: Origins
Echochrome
Fat Princess
From Dust
I Am Alive
Journey
The Last Guy
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Retro/Grade
Siren: Blood Curse (Episodes 1-12)
Super Stardust HD
Yakuza 5

In general I feel I am more optimistic toward PS+ offerings than most. I will at minimum add all the games to my download queue, and will give each one a try (aside from the PS3 ones, because it isn't always set up.).

I've posted in other PS+ threads that I get Sony needs to try to please a wider and growing base of people with PS+ every month. One of my friends, who is fairly into gaming, was excited about Tricky Towers coming out for free, as he had been keeping an eye on it already. I had never heard of it until it was announced as a PS+ game. He came over the Tuesday it dropped and we gave it a try, and it was really a ton of fun. We actually played some again this past week, and had a great time. My wife, who is not into gaming, was very entertained and said she would consider trying Tricky Towers out.

Recently I got a craving to play a city building game, and remembered that Tropico 5 was a recent PS+ offering. Here I got to scratch a random gaming itch without forking over extra money just because of my habit of adding the games to my download queue. Or Dirt 3 being on the back burner for a racing game once I get tired of my current gaming addictions (Diablo 3 and No Man's Sky). Having this growing library of games has proven to be a great benefit to me as I am actually spending way less on random game splurges. And I can not forget to mention Yakuza 5 as a game that I know I need to get to...but don't have time for.

While I wish I could be the target audience for all the PS+ offerings...that is really a narrow window that would actually hamper Sony keeping the other 50 million PS4 owners happy. I'm sure people looking over my list of games above can be appalled at some of the games I removed..and isn't that actually a really good/healthy thing?

All that aside, we have gotten some real stinkers. Broforce was a game I was very excited about, and still managed to put several hours into. But it is still broken. A broken game, that would be great if it were fixed...and then there are games that I have to imagine someone likes, but I have no idea who, like the upcoming Color Guardians or Pumped BMX+. Maybe these are for the younger audience...maybe? It's also frustrating to get PSP games rather than PS Vita games. I love my Vita, and there are really awesome games that could be PS+ offerings.

Personally, I find PS+ (in spite of its shortcomings) to be totally worth the subscription price, and will continue to pay for it. Sure, I'd love it if they put a couple more "headline" games in from time to time, but in general I feel I've been exposed to games I wouldn't have otherwise bought, or got games I wanted to try with very little investment. This is not even considering the great PS+ subscriber discounts during sales or in general, or needing PS+ for online play (which I don't really do a ton of).

Each of the following games averages 75 or above across Sony platforms on Metacritic. If I asked you on January 1, 2016 if you would pay $60 to play the following list of games, would you say yes or no?
Badland: Game of the Year Edition
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Furi
Galak-Z
Gone Home: Console Edition
Grim Fandango Remastered
Helldivers
Invisible Inc.
Journey
NBA 2K16
Resident Evil HD
Transformers: Devastation
Tropico 5
Actual Sunlight
Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~
God of War: Chains of Olympus
God of War: Ghost of Sparta
Legends of War: Patton
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines
Shutshimi
VVVVVV
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
DiRT 3
Dragon Age: Origins
Echochrome
Fat Princess
From Dust
GRID Autosport
I Am Alive
The Last Guy
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Retro/Grade
Siren: Blood Curse
Super Stardust HD
Yakuza 5

If YES, PS+ was worth it, not even considering the other benefits, if NO...well, what about on-line play or the PS+ subscriber discounts?

Again, sorry for the wall of text!

Raw64life

Trash. Most games I spend 15 minutes to an hour with and never play again, but there are usually a handful of games I will play to completion. I'd say between 2013-2015 there were maybe 6 or 7 games I played all the way through or at least spent more than an hour or two on. This year? Zero.

Chrisdk

Sony should step up and release 1 AAA game and 1 indie game each month for the PS4. I think that would be fair at this point. I also really dislike that i pay for other people to get games on the PS3 and the Vita. It was great when i owned all 3 devices, but it's a bit shite now that i only have a PS4. I know you can sometimes play some of the games on the PS4, but it's still kinda a letdown that it's not every game like on the Xbox One. There is way too many indie and mobile like arcade games on PS+. It's not that i don't like indies, but it would be better if it was closer to 50/50 between indie and aaa games.

I also mostly use my PS4 for the single player games, so not much value for me in PS+.

Top Bottom