• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita fw 2.00 now live

Ricker

no go.
They forced that stupid light to be on all the time when in use few updates ego.

That light is kinda annoying when you are laying in bed at night watching something on Netflix,I agree...

So Vita + around 5-6 PM EST today or when they feel like it,like usual? ;)

I haven't checked out the new browser yet but hopefully it makes google reader usable. It wouldn't scroll down the screen for me before, and the iPad is used by everyone in my family so I usually have to resort to looking through my emails via my phone.

Other than work, I don't really use my laptop or desktop as much as I used to. Not enough time.

Scrolling is so much better, before the goddamn checkerboards wouldn't leave you alone. Haven't tried google reader though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Didn't you know, backtouch is a gimmick and is an awful addition to the Vita.

It is. Back-touch scrolling doesn't excuse poor implementation/gimmick uses in games and (in 1.81) forced use of it for L/R2 functions in the PSX emulator in a HORRIBLE back-touch spot.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I wish they would of added 'pinch to zoom' on the rear touch pad for web browsing, also while zoomed in on a web page you can't scroll left or right to explore the page, I wonder if this is a limitation of the rear touch pad or a software issue?

Ardenyal

Scrolling is so much better, before the goddamn checkerboards wouldn't leave you alone. Haven't tried google reader though.

Does the web page still get messed up when loading lots of images/gifs? The previous browser would duplicate some content already rendered (text) and not render the image that loads. This was a problem when browsing image heavy threads on GAF.

It seems that the system now can communicate with you via the message app itself.

8gF3X.jpg

pixelbox

It is. Back-touch scrolling doesn't excuse poor implementation/gimmick uses in games and (in 1.81) forced use of it for L/R2 functions in the PSX emulator in a HORRIBLE back-touch spot.
That's not the fault of the hardware. "Uses" being the operative word. Yes you are right about the L/R2 placement but selecting it forthe lower half of the pad make a world of difference.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I wish they would of added 'pinch to zoom' on the rear touch pad for web browsing, also while zoomed in on a web page you can't scroll left or right to explore the page, I wonder if this is a limitation of the rear touch pad or a software issue?
Well, for one, the rear touch is not multi touch, so pinching is impossible. But scrolling sideways is probably just software.

So, has anyone else's patch updates on the Vita not auto install like they're suppose for a PS+ member?
I had to go to the LiveArea for each game and update from there.

pixelbox

Does the web page still get messed up when loading lots of images/gifs? The previous browser would duplicate some content already rendered (text) and not render the image that loads. This was a problem when browsing image heavy threads on GAF.
Not that im aware of but heavy web pages may require farther loading as you scroll down. P0rn downloading is way better now lol or any downloading from a webpage. It DL in the background.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Oh man you can use the analogue sticks in PSOne games now?? Fuck yesssssss, slap me silly and call me Susan.

PaulLFC

So, has anyone else's patch updates on the Vita not auto install like they're suppose for a PS+ member?
I had to go to the LiveArea for each game and update from there.
I downloaded Music Unlimited and it automatically downloaded its update at the same time, and installed it when I started the app. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to work or it was some other feature.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Yep, they're both five point multi-touch, if I remember correctly. Certainly one of the Playstation Mobile SDK examples is tracking five fingers at the same time with individual colored circles.

Yeah a prime example is the WipEout menu screen.

Zoc

Nope. You can also see orientation isn't in the HTML5 supported features either, nor GPS features. Orientation isn't in the Vita OS yet as a feature. They're going to assume that you always have it the same way, and if anyone wants anything else, they'll have to support it themselves. ;) (like a few games out there currently do, as do image viewers like the built in one and facebook app, etc.).

The OS never wants to be re-oriented though at the moment. But it's certainly possible they could add this as a later feature in the browser eventually. I think for stuff like reading forums, especially mobile customised ones like GAF, it may be more comfortable.

Thanks. So much of my time online is spent on m.neogaf, the browser wouldn't be of any use to me without portrait.

Valkyr47

Banned
any tips on fitting PS1 classics to the screen?

i see the "maintain ratio" checkbox which i leave because i want to make sure its the correct 4:3 native aspect ratio, but when i pinch to expand its VERY sensitive and i cant seem to get it to hit the exact vertical height of the screen

wish there was a SNAP button or something to automatically make it snap to height of 544 (vitas hieght resolution) while keeping aspect ratio

spats

any tips on fitting PS1 classics to the screen?

i see the "maintain ratio" checkbox which i leave because i want to make sure its the correct 4:3 native aspect ratio, but when i pinch to expand its VERY sensitive and i cant seem to get it to hit the exact vertical height of the screen

wish there was a SNAP button or something to automatically make it snap to height of 544 (vitas hieght resolution) while keeping aspect ratio

Use two index fingers and have them be far apart. The range of motion becomes smaller.

Just updated.

This makes the Vita so much more usable. I really think Sony should have waited the extra 6 months, let it cook for longer and launched now at $199/€199/£149 (break even) with 8GB inbuilt and $299/€299/£249 (profitable) with 16GB and 4G/LTE.

It feels more feature complete now and I think the lower price of entry would have given it a bigger bang and having 4G as standard rather than 3G would have paved the way for online play over mobile internet as the latency on 4G is much lower than 3G.

It's not like these months since Feb have been particularly stellar, in fact they have been so bad that the ecosystem may be damaged beyond repair.

That's for the relaunch along with the tablet and phone SKU.

In all seriousness, now reading through this thread it seems people are extremely pleased with the update but there's a lot more work to be done to improve the OS, this is what I gather people want from reading this thread:
  • Folders
  • Flash support in the browser
  • Youtube (and other apps) integration with the browser
  • HTML5 features
    1. Video support
    2. GPS features
    3. orientation/portrait tab
  • Orientation in the OS
  • Wireless sync with the PS3
  • Faster transfer speeds on both USB and wireless (might be a HW limitation though, not sure)
  • PSP emulation options
  • More games supporting remote play/ps2/hd classics playable on vita
  • More improvements to the Near app
  • Further improvements to the email app (import address book, etc)

Flash support in the browser

Should point out that there's precisely zero chance of this ever happening because Flash for mobiles has been discontinued, and will be incompatible with the next major release of Android. Subsequently, the demand for it should noticeably decrease.

Valkyr47

Banned
Use two index fingers and have them be far apart. The range of motion becomes smaller.

ok thanks will try now

just noticed a "clear" button on the bottom left of the screen

when i hit that (and had ratio box checked) it appears to snap to full screen? maybe this is what im looking for, can anyone verify?

looks like proper ratio to me and i see no black bars

Gadirok

In all seriousness, now reading through this thread it seems people are extremely pleased with the update but there's a lot more work to be done to improve the OS, this is what I gather people want from reading this thread:
  • Folders
  • HTML5 features
    1. Video support
    2. GPS features
  • Orientation in the OS
  • Faster transfer speeds on both USB and wireless (might be a HW limitation though, not sure)
  • PSP emulation options

This. This so hard.

I'm still patiently waiting for a remote play patch on Tokyo Jungle, but wouldn't mind it for infamous 2 (already plat but I would replay the **** out of it so much).

I'm the very small minority who wants his vita as a portable PS3 display, like the WiiU. Except none of the WiiU software is interesting.

Also I know its almost impossible, but if the wireless Stereo Pulse headset could activate all the features it uses on the PS3 and have it in the same way on the Vita, I would be amazed. Sticking it into the jack just makes it feel like regular headphones.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

• Folders
    [*]Flash support in the browser
  • HTML5 features
    1. Video support
    2. GPS features
  • Orientation in the OS
  • PSP emulation options

Never going to happen, not only is flash generally ass and I don't personally see why people want it when it is being phased out, flash mobile isn't being developed anymore, and for good reason.

Personally there's only a few things in this update that I find all that awesome:

+ Cloud save uploads are cool
+ PS Plus content will be nice
+ Auto updates will be nice

The rest of it is nice I guess, but pointless to me as I never use the browser, maps, etc. and I thought the PS1 emu was fine before. What pisses me off is that Crash, Spyro, etc. still aren't compatible. I was very disappointed when I still couldn't transfer them.

• Folders
  • HTML5 features
    1. Video support
    2. GPS features
  • Orientation in the OS
  • PSP emulation options

Don't forget remote play for the PSN store. We need this back.

hollams

Gold Member
This update also fixed an issue I had with my Bluetooth headset. Before there was a one second delay before I heard the sound which meant that I couldn't use the headset. I tried last night and the delay was gone, so much props to Sony for this.

Big improvement for the browser, but it's still unwieldy as hell without portrait mode (as most websites are still best on here using mobile versions).

Shikoro

Did anyone notice that, when you write a message on the Vita, a copy gets sent to the PS3? Don't know what to think of that yet...

RpgN

Loving the browser! You can actually use hotmail straight through the browser now, I couldn't even access it or read mails properly before this update. It's not 100% ideal as that e-mail app but it's neat you can check new mails and stuff. I tried gmail account on the e-mail app and that did work but I don't really use that. You can import your hotmail account to the gmail though (through browser), so now I can receive, reply and read mails from my hotmail account too. The e-mail app is a bit barebones, but at least it's here now. Hopefully they'll improve it in the future.

Man, I'm more excited for Vita firmware updates than games sometimes :3 It's crazy how the browser is tons better than the PS3 version. Before this update it was still slightly better, but now it's no contest. It's odd how a small handheld can do it better than a power console.

Time to browse on the vita!

Tried it on the pc screenshot thread, images all display correctly. However loading takes a bit, but not to the point it becomes annoying, fast scrolling through the thread leaves most images blank, I wouldn't recommend browsing graphic heavy pages.

test_account

XP-39C²
A pretty nice update :) I'm happy that the web browser now works in-game and that it is possible to backup saves to the cloud with PS+. Instant screenshots can also be nice to have.

santi_yo

Loving the browser! You can actually use hotmail straight through the browser now, I couldn't even access it or read mails properly before this update. It's not 100% ideal as that e-mail app but it's neat you can check new mails and stuff. I tried gmail account on the e-mail app and that did work but I don't really use that. You can import your hotmail account to the gmail though (through browser), so now I can receive, reply and read mails from my hotmail account too. The e-mail app is a bit barebones, but at least it's here now. Hopefully they'll improve it in the future.

Man, I'm more excited for Vita firmware updates than games sometimes :3 It's crazy how the browser is tons better than the PS3 version. Before this update it was still slightly better, but now it's no contest. It's odd how a small handheld can do it better than a power console.

Time to browse on the vita!

You can use your hotmail account through the e-mail app. It's easy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfZ3_2lpVlo

Top Bottom