• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita PCH-2000 (slim) coming to NA this Spring bundled w/ Borderlands 2 - $199

I just picked up a slim to replace my original; have to say I don't get all the fuss about LCD, looks great to me and the shimmering affect is much less pronounced. The better physical shape/weight of the slim more than makes up for a change in display tech to me, love my slim!

Everyone who hates on the slim has never actually used it.

casmith07

I wish the battery life was significantly better on the slim.

If a blue one gets released in NA I'll spring for one, though.

Weetrick

Amazon updated their release date to May 6. These date changes aren't always accurate, so take it with a grain of salt.

CP6m57n.jpg

Ty4on

I wish the battery life was significantly better on the slim.

If a blue one gets released in NA I'll spring for one, though.

According to some reports it is. I think it has a smaller process node alongside the power saving improvements from the new screen.

nbthedude

Great news! I imported one like 2 or 3 weeks ago and could not be happier with it! ( I sold my 1000.. the OLED -> LCD difference noticeable but hardly a big deal to me ).

Good news for US! I predict 179.99$.. really hope Sony can at least do this price point to generate a bit of interest and get some more games on the docket!

What are the advantages of the new model? I just ordered a 1001 model from Cowboom for $105 (got a pristine grade 7 for that price!) that will be here tomorrow so I'm not in the market but just curious what I am missing out on.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I couldn't wait and bought a PCH-1001 used this week and I have fallen in love with it. I'm thinking of buying the PCH-2000 just to get the satisfaction of unboxing a new one.

ZeroX03

Banned
It's a shame Amazon wont ship this to Australia. I'd really love to have one of these. =(

EDIT:

Just picked one up from SuperUFO for $200USD inc Shipping.

nakedeyes

Banned
I just picked up a slim to replace my original; have to say I don't get all the fuss about LCD, looks great to me and the shimmering affect is much less pronounced. The better physical shape/weight of the slim more than makes up for a change in display tech to me, love my slim!

+1 for this guys point of view.

I sold my OG even though I thought I might keep them both. Got the green and white guy. The battery life, comfort, weight, and triggers are all head and shoulders over the first one.

There is a difference in the screen yes, and I'd be lying to say I don't notice anything. But the LCD is best in class and I fully agree that most people complaining probably haven't used it yet.

Vita 2000 is a great move! :)

Elios83

Bah I really don't understand why it's taking so long to bring the Slim in the US and non-UK european countries. Trying to get rid of inventory seems a possible reason but announcing a new model months before the actual release won't help them towards achieving that goal :p It's basically as if they don't care and their strategy is...whenever...whatever :D

nakedeyes

Banned
What are the advantages of the new model? I just ordered a 1001 model from Cowboom for $105 (got a pristine grade 7 for that price!) that will be here tomorrow so I'm not in the market but just curious what I am missing out on.

Advantages of the new model in my opinion:
* weight - the OG vita was a bit heavier and I always wanted a lighter version to facilitate longer play sessions. It definitely a nice noticeable difference, and the 2000 stays super light but doesn't feel cheap at all ( not like the psp 2000/3000 )
* ergonomics - the new one just conforms to the hand better. Mostly digging not having a sharp edge going around the unit on the 1000. It's all more rounded. Also they slimmed down the size of the rear touch to give your hands more room to rest in the back. Subtle but great.
* battery - the battery is a bit better. I thought the 1000 was already pretty good, but this one lasts just a bit longer ( both are better than 3DSXL battery IMO )
* buttons - mostly the triggers are just way snappier and better than the 1000 ( which always felt a bit loose to me ). The rest of the buttons feel a tiny bit nicer to me but it's super subtle.
* LED screen - not and advantage.. But the screen is really high quality. If the 1000 didn't have the OLED, people would be talking about how awesome this screen is. Unfortunately people can't get over losing OLED and flip out. One advantage the screen does have over the OLED, is less ghosting or bleeding between frames that I would occasionally notice on the 1000.

Overall, I don't think you are losing out by getting the 1000, and you would obviously be getting a slightly better ( and much more power hungry ) screen. But I don't get the hype around trying to snag a 1000 before they are gone. I think the 2000 is overall a better machine.

rawd

Is the 8gb card sufficient to play a few games at a time. Not planning on loading up movies or music on it.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Is the 8gb card sufficient to play a few games at a time. Not planning on loading up movies or music on it.

I have an 8GB card and I have Persona 4G, Spelunky, Lumines, Velocity Ultra (or something?), and 4 PSP games. I only had to delete one PSP game recently (LBP) to make room for re-buying Tactics Ogre.

I'd say it's more than enough, unless you want 3 full-size Vita games on a card at once.

And, IIRC, keep in mind that you can only access that 1GB of on-board memory with no memory card inserted.

Pbae

Does anyone know if the Slim supports external battery packs. The original one I had didn't unless it was that proprietary one =[

I really hope that Borderlands is a good enough port. The videos posted haven't been that convincing. Guess I'll get first hand experience with it since I want the Vita-2000 and I'll be getting it free with that.

Now if they would only release the 64gb memory card in the US... I feel an import coming on...

Pbae

Ok been searching and it seems you can indeed use an external battery pack to charge the Slim. This is a huge step up for me since the previous version wouldn't allow you to charge it without the proprietary accessories so it's significantly more travel friendly.

ClearData

If those color variants started releasing stateside I'd get a second VIta. That White/Blue or White/Yellow color scheme is amazing on the Slim.

br3wnor

OG Vita owner here and will def make jump to slim when proper emulation shows up and I need an extra Vita. Wish this bundle was cheaper though, I paid $250 for my Vita and think it's worth every penny (I play it every day) but I don't think we're gonna see a boost in sales until it's $150.

Also interested to see how Borderlands runs on Vita since initial impressions I read were not great.

rawd

I have an 8GB card and I have Persona 4G, Spelunky, Lumines, Velocity Ultra (or something?), and 4 PSP games. I only had to delete one PSP game recently (LBP) to make room for re-buying Tactics Ogre.

I'd say it's more than enough, unless you want 3 full-size Vita games on a card at once.

And, IIRC, keep in mind that you can only access that 1GB of on-board memory with no memory card inserted.

Perfect, thanks

* LED screen - not and advantage.. But the screen is really high quality. If the 1000 didn't have the OLED, people would be talking about how awesome this screen is. Unfortunately people can't get over losing OLED and flip out. One advantage the screen does have over the OLED, is less ghosting or bleeding between frames that I would occasionally notice on the 1000.

That's... the reverse of my experience. One of the primary benefits of the OLED was that fact it -doesn't- ghost the same way an LCD does, and it's taking a lot of adjustment to get used to my 2000 because of it. I'm actually disappointed that the 2000's LCD doesn't have faster response time, it's the most ghosting I've seen in a portable LCD in some time (but nowhere near as bad as the PSP 2000).

That's... the reverse of my experience. One of the primary benefits of the OLED was that fact it -doesn't- ghost the same way an LCD does, and it's taking a lot of adjustment to get used to my 2000 because of it. I'm actually disappointed that the 2000's LCD doesn't have faster response time, it's the most ghosting I've seen in a portable LCD in some time (but nowhere near as bad as the PSP 2000).

That's one of the nice things about playing ridge racer PSP on my vita is there's no LCD ghosting. I don't have any ghosting on my oled
Also playing it on the vita fixed the weird music loading issue of the original digital PSP release. I assume a bandwidth thing with the PSP memory cards...

nakedeyes

Banned

That's unfortunate! Maybe you got a defective one? I don't recall noticing any ghosting since upgrading. ( but I'm not trying to claim there is NONE either )

In fairness. The game I noticed the ghosting/bleeding the most with on the 1000 is P4G. I felt just about anytime a character moved on the screen I could see it bleed between frames. Fired up the 2000 and noticed nothing like that.. But I don't claim to have the absolute sharpest eye for that.

I had never heard that a benefit of OLED was no ghosting. Just did a quick google search and it definitely seems like people have noticed ghosting in OLED. OLED is supposed to have an advantage with blacks and colors. If I kinda naively think about how OLED works, it would actually appear to be more susceptible to ghosting, but that's just conjecture..

that's what i thought as well.

don't own a slim but was going to upgrade to one. now i'm not so sure....hate ghosting

nakedeyes

Banned

don't own a slim but was going to upgrade to one. now i'm not so sure....hate ghosting

Personally, I think the 2000 is better with ghosting. YMMV I suppose!

I will definitely say the 2000 doesn't seem to have over the top ghosting or anything..

Yasumi

Banned
That's unfortunate! Maybe you got a defective one? I don't recall noticing any ghosting since upgrading. ( but I'm not trying to claim there is NONE either )

In fairness. The game I noticed the ghosting/bleeding the most with on the 1000 is P4G. I felt just about anytime a character moved on the screen I could see it bleed between frames. Fired up the 2000 and noticed nothing like that.. But I don't claim to have the absolute sharpest eye for that.

I had never heard that a benefit of OLED was no ghosting. Just did a quick google search and it definitely seems like people have noticed ghosting in OLED. OLED is supposed to have an advantage with blacks and colors. If I kinda naively think about how OLED works, it would actually appear to be more susceptible to ghosting, but that's just conjecture..

The ghosting in P4G is a deliberate effect that was in the original PS2 version as well. That and the Besaid departure scene in FFX (deliberate effect again) were the only times I've ever seen anything resembling ghosting on the 1000.

Personally, I think the 2000 is better with ghosting. YMMV I suppose!

I will definitely say the 2000 doesn't seem to have over the top ghosting or anything..

No YMMV about it. It's a physical impossibility for OLED to have worse ghosting than LCD. LED technology in general is one of the fastest in terms of lighting response; LEDs increasingly being used in vehicle brake lights is not just for looks, they light up and dim out faster than any other technology that is practical to use there. OLEDs benefit greatly from that property.

I'm a little... insane when it comes to being able to see things like this. It's a curse.

As I said, it's nowhere near as bad as, say, the PSP 2000's ghosting, and if I hadn't already been using an OLED Vita for years it probably wouldn't have been as jarring. But my phone and iPad do a little better than the Vita 2000's screen does... which I suppose is obvious considering both are more than twice as expensive.

nakedeyes

Banned
No YMMV about it. It's a physical impossibility for OLED to have worse ghosting than LCD. LED technology in general is one of the fastest in terms of lighting response; LEDs increasingly being used in vehicle brake lights is not just for looks, they light up and dim out faster than any other technology that is practical to use there. OLEDs benefit greatly from that property.

I'm a little... insane when it comes to being able to see things like this. It's a curse.

As I said, it's nowhere near as bad as, say, the PSP 2000's ghosting, and if I hadn't already been using an OLED Vita for years it probably wouldn't have been as jarring. But my phone and iPad do a little better than the Vita 2000's screen does... which I suppose is obvious considering both are more than twice as expensive.

Welp. The people in these following forums all seem to be experiencing ghosting/bleeding/mura on OLED models:

* http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/62028779
* http://psvitagamer.net/threads/ps-vita-screen-blotching-in-game.2912/

bonus a picture somebody took with the effect in action:
* http://www.monitor4u.co.kr/Review/review4u/ReviewImg/motion_bench_05_PDP.jpg

That right there is kind of the definition of YMMV.. Different people experiencing a bit different results than yourself.

You know what? After reading some of that stuff, maybe the "ghosting" I was seeing on the 1000 was actually this black "mura"/ blotching that people are talking about. Maybe its not the same thing as ghosting on LCD. I never claimed to be an expert.

Just sayin' I love the vita. Both models. I have put in hundreds of hours on each model. I personally think the frame to frame bleeding on the 1000 is worse regardless of what technically causes it. There are many people out there who think that the OLED screen has issues as well. Reading more into some of those links, people are also talking about the OLED not having a super long life span ( not something I ever experienced, but maybe has something to it ).

Ultimately, I don't think the issues that rarely appear on either screen will keep you from enjoying the vita. I think the 1000 has better colors and deeper blacks. I think the 2000 is more comfortable, lighter, longer lasting, better looking, and has better triggers ( really important to me ). Thats all! :)

I'm getting my dad's Vita when I go to visit later this year, if not for that I'd really have to ponder this one. That is a darn good deal with the 8GB packed in.

nakedeyes

Banned
Not only does the Vita play FF7, but you can play every main Final Fantasy game from FF1 through FFX-2 on the Vita, as well as FFT (remake or original) & Dissidia 1 & 2. Admittedly, some of those versions aren't the best (FF5 & 6 are the weak PS1 versions), but still, pretty cool.

yeah bro! I don't quite have all of them.. but check out my FF page on my vita:

2014-03-27-105129.jpg

*edit: drop box image link doesn't work very well.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5fo90a07pp3um5r/2014-03-27-105129.jpg

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate - apparently 'LightBoost' LCD monitors can have less ghosting than many OLED panels, including the one used in the Vita 1000. The technology is somewhat comparable to the low-persistence tech used in the OLED panel of Oculus' Crystal Cove/DK2. The Vita 1000 doesn't use low-persistence, so it still blurs by a small amount. Of course, the Vita 2000 isn't a LightBoost panel either, so in this case it shouldn't be blurring less than the 1000. A normal 60Hz OLED is always going to win against a normal 60Hz LCD for motion response, but there are special LCDs (120Hz, strobing-backlight ones) that beat a normal 60Hz OLED. Not all that relevant to someone comparing the two Vitas, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

nakedeyes

Banned
Is it easy to transfer digital games from a psp to a psv?

I don't know that you can transfer them directly from PSP to PSV.

But you can either:
* Use a PS3 to transfer from PSP to PS3, then PS3 to Vita
* do the same as above but with a PC
* Just log into the same PSN account with the vita and go to your "download list" in the shop. It should have all your previous purchases there to redownload.. just sucks cause you will be missing your save game without transferring it.

muteki

I think PSP can do this with CFW. Sony should add it in regular FW.
Yes it can, and mine is set up this way. It gets really annoying playing games from other regions when system menus pop up for save/load and your accept/cancel buttons switch on you. But they need to make it an option in the standard FW, vita, ps3, ps4.

nakedeyes

Banned
I'm not sure that's entirely accurate - apparently 'LightBoost' LCD monitors can have less ghosting than many OLED panels, including the one used in the Vita 1000. The technology is somewhat comparable to the low-persistence tech used in the OLED panel of Oculus' Crystal Cove/DK2. The Vita 1000 doesn't use low-persistence, so it still blurs by a small amount. Of course, the Vita 2000 isn't a LightBoost panel either, so in this case it shouldn't be blurring less than the 1000. A normal 60Hz OLED is always going to win against a normal 60Hz LCD for motion response, but there are special LCDs (120Hz, strobing-backlight ones) that beat a normal 60Hz OLED. Not all that relevant to someone comparing the two Vitas, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Awesome input. Yeah I will concede that OLED tech has less ghosting than LCD on a base level. I just think the black "mura" or whatever you want to call it ( that is essentially ghosting colors from the previous frame into the blacks of the current frame ) made me feel like there was ghosting, and that effect seemed more apparent than any ghosting I have seen on the 2000 LCD.

Reading around about this as well, it seems the vita 1000 OLED is made by samsung and that particular model is supposed to be a bit of a cheap one and maybe isn't the ideal OLED to talk about how awesome OLED tech is with.

I dunno. I'm a software guy, not a hardware guy. Im just sharing my experiences.. Keep on vita-ing vita-GAF!

My White/Blue Vita 2000 arrived this morning, 4 days prep/ship from Japan. Total was $233

Full album here: http://imgur.com/a/uAGfZ

2000 > 1000

Just so much more comfortable to hold, and every single button on the 2000 is better, including the rear touch which was thankfully shrunken down.

Top Bottom