• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita PCH-2000 (slim) coming to NA this Spring bundled w/ Borderlands 2 - $199

AdamMPSP

March is close, you guys. I want more info on this Borderlands 2 port. Video. Screenshots. What's up with that missing DLC.

I love Borderlands 2 and will happily double-dip if the game is halfway decent.

Kuro

Have anyone here experienced any defect of the old vita model? Like burn-in?

I saw a vita once where if you look at it from an angle you can tell there's black lines going vertical across the screen. Like the entire screen. But only if you look really closely.

Recently I saw a side by side comparison Vick of the 1000 and the 2000 slim model. And I saw the lines on the 1000 again. But not on the 2000 model.

I was just wondering, if the lines are defect are just a part of the OLED screen, since LED screen didn't seem to have any.

Oh and. Can someone educate me on the pros and cons of the vita OLED vs LED screen?

That's literally the only thing that is holding me back. I can go out to Gamestop right now and buy a great conditioned pre-owned vita with a coupon I have for $50. But in afraid of the burn-in problem.

I heard that while LED is lesser quality, it's better in the long run.

OLEDs have something called the mura effect where you'll see dark ink-like splotches when everything goes black. A defect that my Vita has, along with the mura is some weird brushed metal look on the screen whenever grey or brown colors are prominent. Not really a big deal to me, I prefer the strong contrast and deep blacks of the OLED.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I already addressed that. That game was an exclusive and it had the name Call of Duty. There is absolutely nothing new being delivered in this port of a 1.5 year old game of BL2 and BL2 has but a sliver of the following that the CoD franchise has. So it's not the same thing.

We're calling a stripped-down port of BLOPS "exclusive" now?

Putting a port of an older game that isn't overly popular and isn't exclusive and making it your centerpiece showing for the release of your updated console shouldn't happen unless the game delivers.

I remain skeptical due to the lack of media on this port. I've been waiting for it (I actually have yet to play any Borderlands game) and the way it's been handling reminds me of what happened with Declassified. I absolutely hope I'm wrong and this turns out to be a great port.

DJ88

Hmm, I'm hoping there's a big clearance on the OG 1000 models somewhere soon. I might pick one up then. Or is the 2000 that much better that it outweighs the loss of the OLED?

I think there's a very large amount of people who want one, like me.

But lack of games and the move away from OLED for the cheaper models kills it for me, and I've seen similar sentiments from others.

Shadownet

Banned
I just picked up the 1000 brand new for $70.

I have to say after careful thinking.

Breaking down the pros of the new 2000 model. It's not really that much of an upgrade.

-15% lighter and 20% thinner. (I had a chance to hold the new model, and honestly I like the 1000 model better cause the weight make it feel more solid in your hands. But some people might like the thinner design)

- 1-2 hours more battery time. (I'm the type of person that charge his electronic every night anyway, so unless I'm on a super days long trip. It's not a big deal the difference between 5 hours and 7 hours.)

- 1GB of memory pre-installed. (This is pretty much moot, since you can't use this 1GB if you have an actual memory card installed. And 1GB isn't that much.)

- Charge port is now standard mini-USB like Android phones. (This is pretty big, cut down on the stuff you have to carry. But not enough to make you wanna rush out and buy the 2000 if you already have the 1000 model)

- I heard they're planning on releasing multiple colors, this might be the biggest selling point to be honest. But it's unconfirm at the moment.

Right now I'm very happy with my original model. Loving the OLED screen. Though I wish that the memory card wasn't so expensive. And there was more cases available. The choices are limited.

kingmozo9

Banned
just got an invoice from FedEX saying i owe them £56 because of import tax/ VAT ... all because of my beautiful slim vita, 64gb card and screen protector from PLAY-ASIA...

:(

Prelude.

I wonder when Europe will get the new model. It's so weird that they announced it in the UK and then US but not continental Europe.

Prezhulio

I just picked up the 1000 brand new for $70.

I have to say after careful thinking.

Breaking down the pros of the new 2000 model. It's not really that much of an upgrade.

-15% lighter and 20% thinner. (I had a chance to hold the new model, and honestly I like the 1000 model better cause the weight make it feel more solid in your hands. But some people might like the thinner design)

- 1-2 hours more battery time. (I'm the type of person that charge his electronic every night anyway, so unless I'm on a super days long trip. It's not a big deal the difference between 5 hours and 7 hours.)

- 1GB of memory pre-installed. (This is pretty much moot, since you can't use this 1GB if you have an actual memory card installed. And 1GB isn't that much.)

- Charge port is now standard mini-USB like Android phones. (This is pretty big, cut down on the stuff you have to carry. But not enough to make you wanna rush out and buy the 2000 if you already have the 1000 model)

- I heard they're planning on releasing multiple colors, this might be the biggest selling point to be honest. But it's unconfirm at the moment.

Right now I'm very happy with my original model. Loving the OLED screen. Though I wish that the memory card wasn't so expensive. And there was more cases available. The choices are limited.

$70? How'd you manage that? I'm keeping my eyes open for clearance deals on the 1000, $150 and I'll bite in light of my tax return (plus I couldn't really swing it during the holidays deals right after buying an xbone and a ps4)

Is there a best site to import from? Anything cheaper than that extra $70 on the price tag I keep seeing? Jonesing for a lime green vita.

Shadownet

Banned
$70? How'd you manage that? I'm keeping my eyes open for clearance deals on the 1000, $150 and I'll bite in light of my tax return (plus I couldn't really swing it during the holidays deals right after buying an xbone and a ps4)

I'm sorry guys. I didn't specify. I work at GameStop so I just used the 50,000 points I've been saving up to get a $50 off coupon on any one product.Then i traded in two ps4 games (madden and ghosts) so both game came out to be $67. And a Pokemon and saved another $15.

So instead of $200 I only got if for $70-ish.

I'll keep and eye out if GameStop have any deal regarding Vita. I'm sure they will have a price drop when the new model comes out. The only question is.. Will they stop producing the 1000? Cause when I bought mine. My store only had 1 copy left. And we used to have like 4-6 at all time.

Shadownet

Banned
$70? link please! Also isn't the original Vitas screen better?

Please read my post above. I'm sorry for the confusion.

And honestly, I've seen the slim in real life. And I like the screen of the original vita better.

The color pop out more. Some people say that the new vita screen stay true to more to actual colors but it's not saturated like the original.

I guess I rather take poping saturated colors over muted colors.

But honestly unless you have both of them next to each other or have been playing the 1000 for a while. You won't even see the difference if you're a first timer.

Takao

Banned
I'll keep and eye out if GameStop have any deal regarding Vita. I'm sure they will have a price drop when the new model comes out. The only question is.. Will they stop producing the 1000? Cause when I bought mine. My store only had 1 copy left. And we used to have like 4-6 at all time.

Sony has already stopped manufacturing the 1000 models if what's happening in the UK, and Japan is to be believed.

This LCD screen change was a big deal for a while. What is the general consensus on it now? I want to get the new model, but I haven't experienced the LCD screen myself. Is it actually a deal breaker in the opinion of those who have seen/used it?

Alright, I hadn't seen anyone noting about color selection, mostly speculation that it will be black only. I hit up @Playstation on Twitter to see if they could at list hint if the 2000 model in the US will have more than just Black at launch. I will let you know if I hear anything.

This LCD screen change was a big deal for a while. What is the general consensus on it now? I want to get the new model, but I haven't experienced the LCD screen myself. Is it actually a deal breaker in the opinion of those who have seen/used it?

I was wondering this too, but just about every other device I use (besides phone) has an LCD screen and it does not bother me. I imagine the people that have a big issue with it are the people that have spent a lot of time with the 1000 model, which is totally understandable. I think having spent little to no time with a Vita and purchasing the new one would be absolutely fine.

Shadownet

Banned
I wonder if there will be a 3000 model that gives you the slimness and the OLED. One can only dream.

If they come out with a 3000 model in a year or two. More likely 2 years. I'll consider buying it if it has an OLED screen and slimmer. I hope OLED technology will improve then. I heard the OLED screen is prone to burn-in.

dolemite

$200? sounds a bit pricey. Maybe if they also included an 8GB card.

EDIT: Haven't had my coffee yet. The card IS included, this is actually a damn good value.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
$200? sounds a bit pricey. Maybe if they also included an 8GB card.

If ? xD
The bundle will include the new slim PS Vita system in black, the first-person role-playing shooter hit Borderlands 2 with six DLC packs, and an 8GB PS Vita memory card – all for $199.99 (MSRP).

eso76

Woooo, just bought myself a PS VITA 3G + 8GB MC Sports & Racing pack for 109€.
Sounded like an Amazing deal to me.

RalchAC

Woooo, just bought myself a PS VITA 3G + 8GB MC Sports & Racing pack for 109€.
Sounded like an Amazing deal to me.

Wow. Did you sell some games or something?

Honestly, buying a Vita is not that expensive nowadays, especially if you are in EU (where you can find easily Vita bundles at 170€ with game + 8gb mc). Trade two games and you can get some nice prices.

-Digits-

Wow. Did you sell some games or something?

Honestly, buying a Vita is not that expensive nowadays, especially if you are in EU (where you can find easily Vita bundles at 170€ with game + 8gb mc). Trade two games and you can get some nice prices.

In my country they have the Vita by itself for €139 and a bundle with an 8 gig card and 10 game pack for €149. It's cray.

Who do we tweet requesting a minecraft vita bundle? Would make a great gift for my nephews
Unfortunately they can't announce a bundle until 4J announce a release date. Right now they're working on PS4, XBone, and Vita versions, whilst also working on title updates for the PS3 and 360 versions. Crazy.

Prelude.

I tried to ask both Yoshida and Shahid about the new model in Europe but they obviously didn't answer. Oh well, at least I tried.

vivftp

Borderlands 2 eh, to buy, or not to buy... dunno what to do :(

I've already cleared Borderlands 2 on my PS3 about 5 times, and gone through all the DLCs. I have a monsterous backlog on my PS3, Vita and an slowly building up one on my PS4. Not to mention all the kickass games coming out soon.

... but at the same time I want this :(

Might wait for it to go on sale, or the other possibility is one of my friends is planning to get a Vita, but doesn't have much interest in Borderlands 2. Maybe I can get him to buy this bundle and pick it up relatively cheap from him :)

Dang, my 64 gig Vita card is gonna be filled before the summer even hits!

JCizzle

Borderlands 2 eh, to buy, or not to buy... dunno what to do :(

I've already cleared Borderlands 2 on my PS3 about 5 times, and gone through all the DLCs. I have a monsterous backlog on my PS3, Vita and an slowly building up one on my PS4. Not to mention all the kickass games coming out soon.

... but at the same time I want this :(

Might wait for it to go on sale, or the other possibility is one of my friends is planning to get a Vita, but doesn't have much interest in Borderlands 2. Maybe I can get him to buy this bundle and pick it up relatively cheap from him :)

Dang, my 64 gig Vita card is gonna be filled before the summer even hits!

I'm also in the very much 'unsure' category. Seems awesome, but my faith in a solid framerate is sorely lacking. I don't want to play something that constantly lives in the sub-25 FPS range.

I just picked up a slim to replace my original; have to say I don't get all the fuss about LCD, looks great to me and the shimmering affect is much less pronounced. The better physical shape/weight of the slim more than makes up for a change in display tech to me, love my slim!

I just picked up a slim to replace my original; have to say I don't get all the fuss about LCD, looks great to me and the shimmering affect is much less pronounced. The better physical shape/weight of the slim more than makes up for a change in display tech to me, love my slim!

Truth. This man speaks it.

Good to hear, now if they'd just release the color versions in the west I'd pick one up in a heartbeat.

linkboy

Nice, I've been thinking about picking up a slim to compliment my OG Vita (which I have hacked to play all my PSP games and I don't plan on upgrading it anymore).

Top Bottom